OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 11:37:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Appalling  (Read 2326 times) Average Rating: 0
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 01:27:57 PM »

Where was the outrage when your Church moved this Holy Day to the greedy materialistic day selebrated by the heretics?

How about the fact that every 'big' movie opens on Christmas DAY!! WHY?? Why can't it wait for the 26th?? Why must it open on one of the holiest days of the Christian calendar??

So this year, people will gain a whole day to begin what is known as 30 days of finding 'the perfect gift' by pushing and shoving and cursing their fellow neighbor in the malls of America, to prepare for the celebration of that little "baby" born in a manger...oh, yes, just THE SAVIOR of the Human race!!!

Just despicable!! Disgusting!  They will force our holidays off our calendar, making them just 'another day." Never in my book!!!

By heretics, you mean pagans?  You know, since the Church chose December 25.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 12:48:56 AM »

Where was the outrage when your Church moved this Holy Day to the greedy materialistic day selebrated by the heretics?

How about the fact that every 'big' movie opens on Christmas DAY!! WHY?? Why can't it wait for the 26th?? Why must it open on one of the holiest days of the Christian calendar??

So this year, people will gain a whole day to begin what is known as 30 days of finding 'the perfect gift' by pushing and shoving and cursing their fellow neighbor in the malls of America, to prepare for the celebration of that little "baby" born in a manger...oh, yes, just THE SAVIOR of the Human race!!!

Just despicable!! Disgusting!  They will force our holidays off our calendar, making them just 'another day." Never in my book!!!

Where is the outrage at the fact that we've long since stopped celebrating Pascha immediately after the first full moon following the spring equinox? Wink
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandmother, the twice-named Efrosinia

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2013, 01:15:45 AM »

Just despicable!! Disgusting!  They will force our holidays off our calendar, making them just 'another day." Never in my book!!!

Where is the outrage at the fact that we've long since stopped celebrating Pascha immediately after the first full moon following the spring equinox? Wink

Well, I don't often talk about it but I've always felt that that is something we should tend to...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:16:23 AM by Hawkeye » Logged

Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2013, 05:48:59 PM »

It can't be worse than Romania where we are a deeply Orthodox nation (for 2000 years or so).  Yet, ever since the revolution that overthrew the communist regime in 1989, it seems that we lost our roots and values a great deal (well, communism was bad in its own way). We now celebrate Halloween, have Easter bunnies, work on holidays, want gay marriages, replace "Lord, help us!" with "have a good day!", you name it. All I can say is that it's all unnatural and a cultural kitsch.

Thank you for validating my point. And, yes, it does get worse. Try visiting New York or LA.
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2013, 05:51:43 PM »

Who is "they"?  And how will "they" accomplish forcing holidays off a calendar?

"They" is exactly the "they" the Lord spoke about 2000 years ago.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »

"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth."?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »

"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth."?

No, the "they" are the they the Lord spoke about who refuse Him and will try to destroy His Word and people. Come on, you know what I mean!!!
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »

No, the "they" are the they the Lord spoke about who refuse Him and will try to destroy His Word and people. Come on, you know what I mean!!!

I can do some things, reading minds just isn't one of them.

And where did Christ command the government and businesses to close their doors on Christmas? I think you should worry about more important things.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:59:23 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »

I can do some things, reading minds just isn't one of them.

And where did Christ command the government and businesses to close their doors on Christmas? I think you should worry about more important things.

I think you've misinterpreted my posts. In any case, I'll end the topic here as written communication has its limits. My intention was not to solve anything; just bring awareness in leisure conversation and obviously, not to start a revolution.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:27:11 PM by Faith2545 » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »

In our materialistic , consumer driven time, one could argue that the " they " being feared is " us. "
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »

Can't they just have Muslims, Jews, or other non-Christians work on those days? Not everyone is a Christian you know. I don't see what the big deal is.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: