OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:12:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How well versed are you in the Bible?  (Read 1738 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »

#1 Let's begin with an easy question:

When they had entered Jerusalem, they went to the upstairs room where they were staying. Peter and John, and James, and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James were there. (Acts 1:13)

Sacred Tradition teaches that the Acts of the Apostles was written by Luke the Evangelist, who was also the author of the third Synoptic Gospel. By simply looking at Acts 1:13, we can infer that it was written by Luke rather than by Matthew or Mark since in this verse are two things that illustrate Luke's peculiar writing style. What are these? What two things would let you guess that Acts 1:13 was penned by Luke?

Since no one can answer this question and since today we are celebrating the feast of St. Luke the Evangelist, I must answer the question I myself posed.

The first of the two things that link Acts 1:13 to the Gospel of Luke is that Luke referred in both his Gospel and in Acts 1:13 to Judas son of James, whose name appears on the list of the Twelve given by Matthew and Mark as Thaddeus. To compare and contrast:

Now these are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (called Peter), and Andrew his brother; James son of Zebedee and John his brother; Philip and Bartholomew;  Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him. (Matthew 10:2-4)

He appointed twelve: To Simon he gave the name Peter; to James and his brother John, the sons of Zebedee, he gave the name Boanerges (that is, “sons of thunder”); and Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him. (Mark 3:16-19)

Simon (whom he named Peter), and his brother Andrew; and James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Simon who was called the Zealot, Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor. (Luke 6:14-16)

As for the second thing that links Acts 1:13 directly to the Gospel of Luke is...

I am going to answer that one hour later in case someone wants to give this question a try.  Roll Eyes

You are not good at running a contest. Check mine for how to do it effectively.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »

As for the second thing that links Acts 1:13 directly to the Gospel of Luke is...

I am going to answer that one hour later in case someone wants to give this question a try.  Roll Eyes

I don't get it.  Why do you want to affirm the Lucan authorship of both Luke and Acts based on one verse in Acts?  There's plenty of other "evidence" linking the two. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2013, 05:29:57 PM »

I don't get it.  Why do you want to affirm the Lucan authorship of both Luke and Acts based on one verse in Acts?  There's plenty of other "evidence" linking the two. 

I know. This is only a simple question taken from that ample evidence.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2013, 05:35:15 PM »

OK, but why?  Was it actually a "contest"?  Did you have some other point you were trying to make? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2013, 05:42:02 PM »

OK, but why?  Was it actually a "contest"?  Did you have some other point you were trying to make? 

No, I never meant it to be a "contest".  Smiley

Everyone is free to share their questions here so that we can exchange information in order to refresh or improve our biblical knowledge.

As for the question why I chose Acts 1:13, I asked myself a question about that particular verse a short time ago and found the answer in a detail. I wonder if anyone here has already gone through the same experience.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »

Now on the first day of the feast of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus and said, “Where do you want us to prepare for you to eat the Passover?” He said, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says, “My time is near. I will observe the Passover with my disciples at your house.”’” (Matthew 26:17-18)

Now on the first day of the feast of Unleavened Bread, when the Passover lamb is sacrificed, Jesus’ disciples said to him, “Where do you want us to prepare for you to eat the Passover?” He sent two of his disciples and told them, “Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar 28  of water will meet you. Follow him. (Mark 14:12-13)

When the day for the feast of Unleavened Bread came, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and prepare the Passover  for us to eat.” (Luke 22:7-8)

When they had entered Jerusalem, they went to the upstairs room where they were staying. Peter and John, and James, and Andrew... (Acts 1:13)

I see that some people here are not as eager to answer simple questions about the Bible as to call some posters furbies.  Roll Eyes

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2013, 08:07:14 PM »

ITT: Scripturally illiterate Orthodox trying to pass off their ineptness through humor and ad-hominems.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags: Bible  verses  questions  riddles I give up 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: