OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:16:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How well versed are you in the Bible?  (Read 1714 times) Average Rating: 0
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« on: October 16, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »

How well versed are you in the Bible?

I would like to start this thread in order to pose some riddle-like questions about the Bible. Everyone who has got similar questions, please feel free to share them here so that we can have a quick (kind of) Bible study and refresh our knowledge or improve it.

#1 Let's begin with an easy question:

When they had entered Jerusalem, they went to the upstairs room where they were staying. Peter and John, and James, and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James were there. (Acts 1:13)

Sacred Tradition teaches that the Acts of the Apostles was written by Luke the Evangelist, who was also the author of the third Synoptic Gospel. By simply looking at Acts 1:13, we can infer that it was written by Luke rather than by Matthew or Mark since in this verse are two things that illustrate Luke's peculiar writing style. What are these? What two things would let you guess that Acts 1:13 was penned by Luke?

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »

Pics or it didn't happen.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »

Pics or it didn't happen.

What do you mean? It didn't happen?  Huh

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »

A long list of names?

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »

A long list of names?

Matthew and Mark each gave a long apostolic list too.

Clue: It's necessary to compare the lists of the Twelve in the Synoptic Gospels.  Roll Eyes

Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »

Name one left handed person mentioned in the bible, if you don't know the answer your not a true believer.

Thank you.
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »

Name one left handed person mentioned in the bible, if you don't know the answer your not a true believer.

When the Israelites cried out for help to the Lord, he raised up a deliverer for them. His name was Ehud son of Gera the Benjaminite, a left-handed man. (Judges 3:15)

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »

When the Israelites cried out for help to the Lord, he raised up a deliverer for them. His name was Ehud son of Gera the Benjaminite, a left-handed man. (Judges 3:15)

You agree with that translation?!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »

Oh, hey, you use biblegateway.com too!

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »

Yes, Lord refers to YHWH.  angel

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »

I'm more interested in 1 Kings 22:37-39 (New International Version)
So the king died and was brought to Samaria, and they buried him there. 38 They washed the chariot at a pool in Samaria (where the prostitutes bathed), and the dogs licked up his blood, as the word of the Lord had declared.

The info about this particular pool is where the prostitutes bathed is intriguing.  Why is it included in the NIV?  Do prostitutes still bathe there?  These questions must be answered!

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »

It's NET Bible!  Grin

Confession: I answered Nicene's question so fast thanks to the word search feature.  laugh

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »

Name the 5 constipated men

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »

I meant: Ehud, ben-gera ben-hayemini, ish itter yad-yemino, wayyshlechu bne-israel beyado mincha le'eglon melekh moav.

There's so much more to this verse than a left-handed judge. Puns, play on words, etc.

How you translate YHWH is really uninteresting compared to all that.  Wink

Clues:

1. "left" = s'mola does not appear here.
2. What is the story about Ben-jamin and why was he named that?
3. What is the connection between "the right hand" ([yad] yemina) and Yemen?
4. Where was the tribe of the Benjaminites located geographically?
5. Judges 20:16 - what's the typical Benjaminite like in Judges?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:50:14 PM by Romaios » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »

I was so glad when they added the Douay-Rheims. They still don't have any Orthodox printings, though.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »

I meant: Ehud, ben-gera ben-hayemini, ish itter yad-yemino, wayyshlechu bne-israel beyado mincha le'eglon melekh moav.

There's so much more to this verse than a left-handed judge. Puns, play on words, etc.

Clues:

tn The phrase, which refers to Ehud, literally reads “bound/restricted in the right hand,” apparently a Hebrew idiom for a left-handed person. See Judg 20:16, where 700 Benjaminites are described in this way. Perhaps the Benjaminites purposely trained several of their young men to be left-handed warriors by restricting the use of the right hand from an early age so the left hand would become dominant. Left-handed men would have a distinct military advantage, especially when attacking city gates. See B. Halpern, “The Assassination of Eglon: The First Locked-Room Murder Mystery,” BRev 4 (1988): 35.

Benjamin means the son of my right hand.

sn His father called him Benjamin. There was a preference for giving children good or positive names in the ancient world, and “son of my suffering” would not do (see the incident in 1 Chr 4:9-10), because it would be a reminder of the death of Rachel (in this connection, see also D. Daube, “The Night of Death,” HTR 61 [1968]: 629-32). So Jacob named him Benjamin, which means “son of the [or “my”] right hand.” The name Benjamin appears in the Mari texts. There have been attempts to connect this name to the resident tribe listed at Mari, “sons of the south” (since the term “right hand” can also mean “south” in Hebrew), but this assumes a different reading of the story. See J. Muilenburg, “The Birth of Benjamin,” JBL 75 (1956): 194-201.

Source of the footnotes: NET Bible.org

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 03:59:21 PM »

Reminds me of being about ten years old at summer Sunday School and laughing about the most elastic man in the Bible.

Here we go again. It's Wonderland time once again...... After falling down the rabbit hole, Alice observed,  "Well, after this I should think nothing of falling down stairs.”"
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 04:03:39 PM »

Reminds me of being about ten years old at summer Sunday School and laughing about the most elastic man in the Bible.

Here we go again. It's Wonderland time once again...... After falling down the rabbit hole, Alice observed,  "Well, after this I should think nothing of falling down stairs.”"

Hint: The first is Cain, who wasn't able.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »

tn The phrase, which refers to Ehud, literally reads “bound/restricted in the right hand,” apparently a Hebrew idiom for a left-handed person. See Judg 20:16, where 700 Benjaminites are described in this way. Perhaps the Benjaminites purposely trained several of their young men to be left-handed warriors by restricting the use of the right hand from an early age so the left hand would become dominant. Left-handed men would have a distinct military advantage, especially when attacking city gates. See B. Halpern, “The Assassination of Eglon: The First Locked-Room Murder Mystery,” BRev 4 (1988): 35.

Now that's a silly conjecture - "impaired in one's right hand" (itter yad-yemino) clearly means "clumsy" (it can't be an advantage). Especially about those guys who called themselves "sons of (Jacob's) right hand". But I suppose it's easy for fundies to miss much irony in Judges.

Consulting a Hebrew grammar would serve a Yahwist like yourself much better.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:19:41 PM by Romaios » Logged
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »

The very names of the tribes point to the redemption of Israel. Reuben is so called, because God "sees" the affliction of His people; Simon, because He "hears" its groaning; Levi, He "joins" Himself unto His people when Israel suffers; Judah, Israel will "thank" God for its deliverance; Issachar, it will be "rewarded" for its suffering with a recompense; Zebulon, God will have a "dwelling-place" in Israel; Benjamin, He swore by His "right hand" to succor His people; Dan, He will "judge" the nation that subjugates Israel; Naphtali, He bestowed the Torah upon Israel, and she drops sweetness like the "honeycomb"; Gad, the Lord gave manna unto Israel, and it was like "coriander" seed; Asher, all nations will call Israel "happy"; and Joseph, because God will "add" a second redemption of Israel to the first--redemption from the wicked kingdom at the end as from Egypt in former times.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/loj/loj204.htm

No information about Ehud in the Talmud. The quote above reveals a different theological reason for the name Benjamin.

The tribe of Benjamin is described in Jacob's blessing (Gen. xlix. 27) as warlike: "Benjamin is a wolf that raveneth; in the morning he shall devour the prey, at evening he shall divide the spoil." In the desert, where Benjamin formed part of the camp of the sons of Joseph, the tribe counted 35,400 warriors, and later on 45,600 men (Num. i. 36; ii. 22, 23; x. 22-24; xxvi. 41). In I Chron. vii. 6-11, 59,434 men are given. The astute and pugnacious nature of the Benjamites is evidenced by the fact that they were drilled as left-handed warriors to attack the enemy unawares (Judges iii. 15-21, xx. 16; I Chron. xii. 2). They were known as brave and skilled archers (I Chron. viii. 40, xii. 2; II Chron. xiv. 7).

Son of my right hand versus left-handed people.

Is this the irony you are implying?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:33:13 PM by Theophilos78 » Logged

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »

I feel so uneducated.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »

I feel so uneducated.

The forum is a great place for educating ourselves.  Wink

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »

No information about Ehud in the Talmud. The quote above reveals a different theological reason for the name Benjamin.

Benjaminites... "God's power made perfect in weakness". Guess who else was a Benjaminite in the NT and was physically impaired (had "a thorn in his body")?

Quote from: Genesis 49:27
“Benjamin is a ravenous wolf;
In the morning he shall devour the prey,
And at night he shall divide the spoil.”

Quote from: Acts 8:3
As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

Quote from: Acts 9:1
Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples.

Benjamin was the youngest of Jacob's sons. Paul was the last of the Apostles. We've got lots of folk tales about the Brave Junior („Prâslea cel voinic”).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:29:50 PM by Romaios » Logged
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »

Benjaminites... "God's power made perfect in weakness". Guess who else was a Benjaminite in the NT and was physically impaired (had "a thorn in his body")?

Quote from: Genesis 49:27
“Benjamin is a ravenous wolf;
In the morning he shall devour the prey,
And at night he shall divide the spoil.”

Quote from: Acts 8:3
As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

Quote from: Acts 9:1
Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples.

Benjamin was the youngest of Jacob's sons. We've got lots of folk tales about the Brave Junior („Prâslea cel voinic”).

Saul, the first king of Israel, was also a Benjaminite.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »

I feel so uneducated.

Don't.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 05:12:13 PM »

Clues:

6. Why is Romaios using Hebrew when the right text is in Greek because God disapproves of puns?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 05:12:23 PM »

Son of my right hand versus left-handed people.

Is this the irony you are implying?

Sort of. ”Left handed” (here, people with a "handicapped right hand") is in many cultures synonymous with "clumsy" (see "I've got two left hands" = can't do anything properly).

Not just this. There's plenty of humour in the story of Ehud and fat king Eglon, as well as in all of Judges.   
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:38:27 PM by Romaios » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »

Now that's a silly conjecture - "impaired in one's right hand" (itter yad-yemino) clearly means "clumsy" (it can't be an advantage). Especially about those guys who called themselves "sons of (Jacob's) right hand". But I suppose it's easy for fundies to miss much irony in Judges.

Consulting a Hebrew grammar would serve a Yahwist like yourself much better.
HAH!! I got this one.  Judges was set in the Bronze Age so of course it would not be irony.  It would be bronzy.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »

Saul, the first king of Israel, was also a Benjaminite.

Shimei who cursed King David belonged to the same clan as Ehud (the Geraites) - another temperamental guy:

Quote from: 2 Samuel 16
When King David came to Bahurim, a man of the family of the house of Saul came out whose name was Shimei son of Gera; he came out cursing. 6 He threw stones at David and at all the servants of King David; now all the people and all the warriors were on his right and on his left. 7 Shimei shouted while he cursed, “Out! Out! Murderer! Scoundrel! 8 The Lord has avenged on all of you the blood of the house of Saul, in whose place you have reigned; and the Lord has given the kingdom into the hand of your son Absalom. See, disaster has overtaken you; for you are a man of blood.”

9 Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said to the king, “Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and take off his head.” 10 But the king said, “What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the Lord has said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who then shall say, ‘Why have you done so?’ ” 11 David said to Abishai and to all his servants, “My own son seeks my life; how much more now may this Benjaminite! Let him alone, and let him curse; for the Lord has bidden him. 12 It may be that the Lord will look on my distress,c and the Lord will repay me with good for this cursing of me today.” 13 So David and his men went on the road, while Shimei went along on the hillside opposite him and cursed as he went, throwing stones and flinging dust at him.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »

Dealing with people who know stuff sucks.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »

Dealing with people who know stuff sucks.
Tell me about it.

I got called out on my BS the other day.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »

Shimei was a class act. Cheesy

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »

HAH!! I got this one.  Judges was set in the Bronze Age so of course it would not be irony.  It would be bronzy.  Grin

Judges set in the Bronze Age? R u sure?

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »

Irony according to Theophrastus' Characters: http://www.eudaemonist.com/biblion/characters#01

In German, it's usually properly translated as Unaufrichtigkeit (un-straightforward-ness, insincerity).
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 05:36:47 PM »

Why is Romaios using Hebrew when the right text is in Greek because God disapproves of puns?

God has a terrible sense of humour:

Quote from: Psalm 2:4-5
He who sits in the heavens laughs;
     the Lord has them in derision.
Then he will speak to them in his wrath,
     and terrify them in his fury.
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »

No one has answered my question yet. I'd thought it would not be challenging.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:41:02 PM by Theophilos78 » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »

No one has answered my question yet. I'd thought it would not be challenging.  Roll Eyes
It's challenging to think that you actually expected an answer.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »

What makes you think so? A question, unless it's a rhetorical one, always requires an answer.  Roll Eyes

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »

What makes you think so? A question, unless it's a rhetorical one, always requires an answer.  Roll Eyes
Roll Eyes, indeed.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »

That's good, i cheated though for the rest
Definitely fifth grade humor!

Tablets, anyone??
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »

Tablets, anyone??

LOL! Never heard this stuff. Please, Iconodule tell us the rest!

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

LOL, reminds me of my 5 year old.

They had Sunday school, and later that night we asked her "what did you learn in Sunday School today?".

She replies "I learned about hairy arms".    LOL

We were like, "what about hairy arms"?   She said "that people in the bible have hairy arms".
LOL

So we had to investigate....

"were they talking about a man named Esau"?

She said "yes" - "He pet a goat and got hairy arms".   LOL

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 08:12:58 PM »

Tablets, anyone??

Moses took 2 tablets; Balaam couldn't move his ass; Samson brought the house down; Solomon sat for 40 years.

There's a whole song that goes with it. I never went to church camp but I'm told it's a church camp classic.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »

Tablets, anyone??

Moses took 2 tablets; Balaam couldn't move his ass; Samson brought the house down; Solomon sat for 40 years.

There's a whole song that goes with it. I never went to church camp but I'm told it's a church camp classic.

How did I miss this? Some of the camps I went to made Jesus Camp look sane though.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »

#1 Let's begin with an easy question:

When they had entered Jerusalem, they went to the upstairs room where they were staying. Peter and John, and James, and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James were there. (Acts 1:13)

Sacred Tradition teaches that the Acts of the Apostles was written by Luke the Evangelist, who was also the author of the third Synoptic Gospel. By simply looking at Acts 1:13, we can infer that it was written by Luke rather than by Matthew or Mark since in this verse are two things that illustrate Luke's peculiar writing style. What are these? What two things would let you guess that Acts 1:13 was penned by Luke?

Since no one can answer this question and since today we are celebrating the feast of St. Luke the Evangelist, I must answer the question I myself posed.

The first of the two things that link Acts 1:13 to the Gospel of Luke is that Luke referred in both his Gospel and in Acts 1:13 to Judas son of James, whose name appears on the list of the Twelve given by Matthew and Mark as Thaddeus. To compare and contrast:

Now these are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (called Peter), and Andrew his brother; James son of Zebedee and John his brother; Philip and Bartholomew;  Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him. (Matthew 10:2-4)

He appointed twelve: To Simon he gave the name Peter; to James and his brother John, the sons of Zebedee, he gave the name Boanerges (that is, “sons of thunder”); and Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him. (Mark 3:16-19)

Simon (whom he named Peter), and his brother Andrew; and James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Simon who was called the Zealot, Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor. (Luke 6:14-16)

As for the second thing that links Acts 1:13 directly to the Gospel of Luke is...

I am going to answer that one hour later in case someone wants to give this question a try.  Roll Eyes

Tags: Bible  verses  questions  riddles I give up 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: