OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:25:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bishop Emeritus  (Read 967 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: October 15, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so feel free to move it.

I was wondering, How should you adress a bishop emeritus in a letter?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 05:35:58 PM »

Generally, you should address them by whatever was their last title when they were active bishops.  For example, His All Holiness Mor Ephrem, Genuine and Only Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome, and Ecumenical Patriarch, upon retirement (yeah right!), could still be addressed as His All Holiness, and you could probably keep the title as is, adding "Former" before "Genuine" or "Emeritus"...somewhere (my preference is after "Archbishop", but I don't know for sure). 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so feel free to move it.

I was wondering, How should you adress a bishop emeritus in a letter?

There is no such thing as a bishop emeritus.

Joseph
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:51:43 AM »

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:50:45 AM »

He's “His Eminence, Metropolitan Jonah, former Archbishop of Washington and Metropolitan of All-America and Canada”.

In a letter, he'd be addressed "Your Eminence,"  not "Metropolitan Emeritus."  Not even "Your former Beatitude."

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:57:24 AM »

Perhaps it's  matter of semantics, but I would consider a retired bishop in relatively good standing (not one reduced to monk and placed in a monastic cell as a discipline for example) as a Bishop Emeritus.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 07:59:11 AM »

Perhaps it's  matter of semantics, but I would consider a retired bishop in relatively good standing (not one reduced to monk and placed in a monastic cell as a discipline for example) as a Bishop Emeritus.

Is there any instance of the use of the title "Emeritus" amongst the Orthodox Churches?  Pope Benedict is "Pope Emeritus."

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »

Perhaps it's  matter of semantics, but I would consider a retired bishop in relatively good standing (not one reduced to monk and placed in a monastic cell as a discipline for example) as a Bishop Emeritus.

Is there any instance of the use of the title "Emeritus" amongst the Orthodox Churches?

Is your question "Do some Orthodox talk in Latin about their bishops?"?

IDK. Maybe some Romanians?

it's  matter of semantics

This.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:02:07 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 08:11:09 AM »

No. Smiley

I don't know either.

Yup.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »

No. Smiley

So what were you asking about?
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »

No. Smiley

Is there any instance of the use of the title "Emeritus" amongst the Orthodox Churches? i.e., Metropolitan Jonah is retired (referencing the picture you posted).  He is listed as a "retired Archbishop," not titled "Archbishop Emeritus."  That's what I'm asking about.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 08:25:19 AM »

No. Smiley

Is there any instance of the use of the title "Emeritus" amongst the Orthodox Churches? i.e., Metropolitan Jonah is retired (referencing the picture you posted).  He is listed as a "retired Archbishop," not titled "Archbishop Emeritus."  That's what I'm asking about.

And what is the difference between "retired" and "emeritus"?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »

No. Smiley

Is there any instance of the use of the title "Emeritus" amongst the Orthodox Churches? i.e., Metropolitan Jonah is retired (referencing the picture you posted).  He is listed as a "retired Archbishop," not titled "Archbishop Emeritus."  That's what I'm asking about.

Emeritus is a title given to those who have held a senior academic position, or position of similar high rank in other spheres, but are now retired from that post. Emeritus Professors are the best-known examples.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:29:26 AM by LBK » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »

Emeritus is a title given to those who have held a senior academic position, or position of similar high rank in other spheres, but are now retired from that post. Emeritus Professors are the best-known examples.

So wouldn't the Bishopric count at least as a similar high rank, if not higher?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »

So wouldn't the Bishopric count at least as a similar high rank, if not higher?

Yes, it would. So would, say, former US Presidents. The question is whether the term emeritus is traditionally used in these fields. It seems that former or retired is the more common usage.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »

The question is whether the term emeritus is traditionally used in these fields. It seems that former or retired is the more common usage.

Traditionally in English.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:38:46 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »

The question is whether the term emeritus is traditionally used in these fields. It seems that former or retired is the more common usage.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Could you rephrase your answer?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 08:45:26 AM »

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Could you rephrase your answer?

I am not really sure what we are discussing.

If "is particular English word used or not and synonymous words are used instead to describe something" then this discussion is nonsensical.
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 01:23:32 AM »

I think it would make more sense to address them by their real title, not their previous one, but I'm sure this is wrong

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »

Since the word "emeritus" is Latin, it is used, like LBK said, in academia primarily, but RC uses it too.  And not just in English.  In Spanish speaking countries it's used in academia (profesor emérito: professor emeritus), in the RCC (obispo emérito: bishop emeritus), and in music (conductor/director emérito). 

The OP is wondering how to address a bishop emeritus, or retired bishop, in a letter.  I believe it has been answered.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 07:41:48 AM »

Since the word "emeritus" is Latin, it is used, like LBK said, in academia primarily, but RC uses it too.  And not just in English.  In Spanish speaking countries it's used in academia (profesor emérito: professor emeritus), in the RCC (obispo emérito: bishop emeritus), and in music (conductor/director emérito).  

The OP is wondering how to address a bishop emeritus, or retired bishop, in a letter.  I believe it has been answered.

Yeah, thank you.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:42:13 AM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »

Perhaps it's  matter of semantics, but I would consider a retired bishop in relatively good standing (not one reduced to monk and placed in a monastic cell as a discipline for example) as a Bishop Emeritus.

Is there any instance of the use of the title "Emeritus" amongst the Orthodox Churches?

This.

"Locum Tenens" comes to mind.

In American practice, it is not uncommon for a retired parish priest who takes up retirement in the community where he was pastor and has his Bishop' s  blessing to attend, serve or assist at his former parish, the title "Pastor Emeritus" is used. I've seen it in ACROD, Greek UOC, and OCA parishes.

The word "emeritus", while Latin in origin, is recognized as an English word today among  English speakers. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/emeritus

If we stop using words of Latinate origin in modern English because we are Orthodox, we would have little to say.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:10:45 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »

He's “His Eminence, Metropolitan Jonah, former Archbishop of Washington and Metropolitan of All-America and Canada”.

In a letter, he'd be addressed "Your Eminence,"  not "Metropolitan Emeritus."  Not even "Your former Beatitude."

In their most recent negotiations with Metropolitan Jonah, the OCA's Holy Synod agreed to change the matter of how he is to be addressed, to "His Beatitude."

The common protocol to address a retired Orthodox hierarch, is to preface his former see as "Formerly of "X", in Greek , "Proin Pittsburgh," as is the style for the retired metropolitan of the metropolis in which I reside; "His Eminence Metropolitan Maximos, Formerly of Pittsburgh."  Notice, he is not a "former metropolitan," he's "Formerly of Pittsburgh."

A letter to him would be addressed, "The Most Reverend Metropolitan Maximos, Formerly of Pittsburgh."  The salutation is "Your Eminence:"

I have never seen an Orthodox hierarch given an "Emeritus" status, but likewise with Roman Catholics, they were dealing with a somewhat unique situation with Pope Benedict's retirement from the Papal Office.

It is a practice within the Ecumenical Patriarchate, in some instances, to elect a retired ruling bishop to an "inactive see," to an honorary position, rather than having the bishop referred to as "Formerly of..."   An "inactive see" is one wherein faithful no longer reside, and has been "inactivated" by the Synod. That usually occurs in the event of a forced retirement. The Ecumenical Patriarchate did this in 1997 when the Holy and Sacred Synod elected Metropolitan Silas of New Jersey, the respected senior member and Vice Chairman of the GOAA's Holy Synod of Bishops and close confidant of Archbishop Iakovos,' Formerly of America, but who was ailing and would not retire.  The Phanar elected him "Metropolitan of Saranta Ecclecies," a venerable but "inactive" diocese of the Patriarchate.  Likewise, in 1948 the Holy Synod of Constantinople encouraged Ecumenical Patriarch Maximos V to retire, electing him to the honorary Senior See of Ephesos, a "vacant, but active" (not "inactivated") "Elder See," clearing the way for the election of Patriarch Athenagoras.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:49:42 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »

In a letter, he'd be addressed "Your Eminence,"  not "Metropolitan Emeritus."  Not even "Your former Beatitude."

In their most recent negotiations with Metropolitan Jonah, the OCA's Holy Synod agreed to change the matter of how he is to be addressed, to "His Beatitude."

The common protocol to address a retired Orthodox hierarch, is to preface his former see as "Formerly of "X", in Greek , "Proin Pittsburgh," as is the style for the retired metropolitan of the metropolis in which I reside; "His Eminence Metropolitan Maximos, Formerly of Pittsburgh."  Notice, he is not a "former metropolitan," he's "Formerly of Pittsburgh."

A letter to him would be addressed, "The Most Reverend Metropolitan Maximos, Formerly of Pittsburgh."  The salutation is "Your Eminence:"

I have never seen an Orthodox hierarch given an "Emeritus" status, but likewise with Roman Catholics, they were dealing with a somewhat unique situation with Pope Benedict's retirement from the Papal Office.

It is a practice within the Ecumenical Patriarchate, in some instances, to elect a retired ruling bishop to an "inactive see," to an honorary position, rather than having the bishop referred to as "Formerly of..."   An "inactive see" is one wherein faithful no longer reside, and has been "inactivated" by the Synod. That usually occurs in the event of a forced retirement. The Ecumenical Patriarchate did this in 1997 when the Holy and Sacred Synod elected Metropolitan Silas of New Jersey, the respected senior member and Vice Chairman of the GOAA's Holy Synod of Bishops and close confidant of Archbishop Iakovos,' Formerly of America, but who was ailing and would not retire.  The Phanar elected him "Metropolitan of Saranta Ecclecies," a venerable but "inactive" diocese of the Patriarchate.  Likewise, in 1948 the Holy Synod of Constantinople encouraged Ecumenical Patriarch Maximos V to retire, electing him to the honorary Senior See of Ephesos, a "vacant, but active" (not "inactivated") "Elder See," clearing the way for the election of Patriarch Athenagoras.

A Pastor Emeritus still has an honorary, at least, role in his former parish. If he moves out of town and comes in for a celebration, he would be the 'former pastor'. Bishops don't really retain any presence or role in their former sees, so I think Basil's analysis is accurate with respect to Bishops.
Tags: bishops proper titles 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: