OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:30:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mainline Protestants: Vintage or vibrant?  (Read 510 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 15, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »

Who are the mainline Protestants today?

Half a century ago, the denominations under the mainline umbrella [Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist, American Baptist, etc., churches] dominated the American faith landscape.  Now, after decades of declining numbers, only about one in five U.S. adults identifies with a mainline denomination.

Could replacing the “mainline” name help stem the slide?

Religion News Service took up the challenge, inviting votes and comments in an informal survey. A few of the suggestions given:

“Liberal Church”
“Grandma’s Church”
“The Refined Church” (more refined than reformed)
“Forward Christians”
“The Churches Formerly Known as Christian"
"The Syncretist Churches”
“The Unorthodox Churches"
“Red Letter Christian Church”
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 04:44:01 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »

I liked "Legacy Denominations". So true!  laugh

John Leech offered “Legacy Denominations” because, he wrote, they are “like legacy airlines, carrying a lot of baggage from the past … But wait! I still have lots of miles to redeem!”

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »

Definitely vintage.

They don't even believe in Christianity in some cases, yet they continue operating as 'a Christian Church'.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »

i dunno, judging by sheer numbers, all mainline prot churches in downtown Chicago draw in crowds, on any Sunday morning, that the orthodox would envy.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:10:09 PM »

Vintage or Vibrate?

Either way, it's gay.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:32:03 PM »

i dunno, judging by sheer numbers, all mainline prot churches in downtown Chicago draw in crowds, on any Sunday morning, that the orthodox would envy.
I go just so they can tell me what I want to hear. And the pastor there did a cartwheel in front of us, by moving in 3 directions he simulated the triune God.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »

I go just so they can tell me what I want to hear. And the pastor there did a cartwheel in front of us, by moving in 3 directions he simulated the triune God.

LOL!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:52:09 PM »

Would you still laugh if I told you that really happened? Someone even put up a negative review of that church on Google Maps describing the event.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:52:34 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »

Would you still laugh if I told you that really happened? Someone even put up a negative review of that church on Google Maps describing the event.

Exactly how does that make it less funny?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »

pikzerderdnthappn

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »

I'm out of it today, but I can only think of how doing a cartwheel is two directions. Your body rotating in a circle as you travel left or right... what's the third?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »

I'm out of it today, but I can only think of how doing a cartwheel is two directions. Your body rotating in a circle as you travel left or right... what's the third?

You need to read the Holographic Universe and you would know there are like at least FOUR dimensions or something.

I just know the seventh looks like a donut when you render it in three dimensions and the book had a disappointing lack of those silver stickers that showed different stuff when you moved them back and forth in front of light.

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 09:05:24 PM »

The torque generated by the rotation according to the Right Hand Rule?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 09:06:28 PM »

Wow. Those Thrones look like they have hair.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 09:07:51 PM »

That reminds me, did we ever get a consensus on whether those were Cherubs or Thrones?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »

That reminds me, did we ever get a consensus on whether those were Cherubs or Thrones?

ancientaliens.jpg

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »

^ Closest you will get on this Earth to empyrean

As you can see. Both divine and human natures coming together mystically.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:21:13 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »

pikzerderdnthappn
Baptist pastor turns his church — and himself — on their head
http://dailysparkstribune.com/view/full_story/54560/article-Baptist-pastor-turns-his-church---and-himself---on-their-head?instance=news_your_sparks_page

Pastor Wes doing a cartwheel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMIT6zJVzGE

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »

I'd go if after doing the cartwheel the pastor had screamed, "Are you not entertained?"

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 09:51:31 PM »

I'd go if after doing the cartwheel the pastor had screamed, "Are you not entertained?"
Watch that youtube clip.

The place just erupts.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 01:07:53 AM »

pikzerderdnthappn
Baptist pastor turns his church — and himself — on their head
http://dailysparkstribune.com/view/full_story/54560/article-Baptist-pastor-turns-his-church---and-himself---on-their-head?instance=news_your_sparks_page

Pastor Wes doing a cartwheel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMIT6zJVzGE

Ridiculous, but not surprising.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: