OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:37:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OC.Net Million Post Awards!  (Read 468 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: October 14, 2013, 10:39:59 PM »

The OrthodoxChristianity.net Million Post Awards

In honor of reaching this tremendous milestone, the staff of OC.net is "sponsoring" the OC.Net Million Post Awards, intended to honor the "best of the best" from the first million.

Nearly all posts from before the 1,000,001st post are eligible, and can be nominated for any one of three categories:

- Most Spiritually Edifying
- Most Helpful / Informational
- Funniest

We only ask that you observe the following guidelines:

1. Do not nominate a post that resulted in a warning, or could result in a warning (if it was overlooked before).
2. Do not nominate posts from the Private Fora.

We will tabulate the nominations and select a few winners per category.

Nominations are now officially open, and the nomination period will close at Pascha 2014.  This should give folks enough time to track down their favorites from OC.net's 11-year history (so far).

If you have any questions, PM Fr. George or one of the GMs.  Happy nominating!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »

Spiritually edifying:
Every post from pasadi97

Most informational:
It would be helpful if you were born with an OFF switch.

When Robots start getting old (over 40-50) years, their parts start to rust and break down due to improper maintenance.
They like to point to their success in overcoming this problem and pass judgement on the younger Robots (under 30) years,
who still possess working equipment.

Well maintained Robots (at any age) can outperform even a 17 year old humanoid, however.

Not technically a post but augustin717's avatar of the church selling slaves with the caption "conservative orthodox anthropology" is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen on here.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:43:13 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »

Only real nominations please.  Sarcastic / snarky posts will be removed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:46:51 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:47:59 PM »

Father, I was actually being 100% serious.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 10:49:11 PM »

Father, I was actually being 100% serious.

If you say so!

---------------------
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »

nvm it was reposted.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:55:00 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »

nvm it was reposted.

It was never gone; just moved out of sight.

---------------------
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:11:48 AM »

I would nominate pasadi97 posts for FUNNIEST, not for spiritually edifying. lol

It is hard to nominate posts.  Nominating posters is easier.  I would nominate Mor Ephrem for good spiritually edifying posts as well as helpful/informational.  He is a stud.  Tongue  Cyrillic should be thrown in there as well.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »

I would nominate pasadi97 posts for FUNNIEST, not for spiritually edifying. lol

It is hard to nominate posts.  Nominating posters is easier.  I would nominate Mor Ephrem for good spiritually edifying posts as well as helpful/informational.  He is a stud.  Tongue  Cyrillic should be thrown in there as well.

I know it can be difficult to do, but we're looking to reward contributions, and only through them the people.

---------------------
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »

I nominate this post for most edifying:

I'm alluding to the fact that there's a materialistic aspect that should not be ignored, and this is what is primarily worked on for most of any individual's day.  A spiritual healer for instance cannot get rid of a bacterial infection by prayer alone, unless God allows miracles to happen through this person.  Spiritual healing is about how what I do would be beneficial for my salvation, or how I can turn anything I do for a salvific affect.  Therefore, even in materialistic instances, such as healing an infection using antibiotics, I still think about the spiritual aspect in this for myself.  If the patient allows, he/she also can have this spiritual aspect in him/herself as well as he/she is being healed physically.  I also gave the analogy to mundane things like eating a meal earlier.

It's like in Christology, we define Christ as having both materialistic and divine aspects in Him.  I could simply spend time on why the reality of the crucifixion by alluding to the materialistic, "en theoria" apart from the divine (and His rational soul as well) involvement in it.  Likewise, my description of the materialistic is a contemplative aspect of the work I do, which is nonetheless an important aspect of the work.

I'm going to play the "devil's advocate": Wouldn't this delegitimize the notion of turning to God for all things through prayer, since recovery from bacterial infections is governed by a specific set of material laws? We pray to God not only for our salvation, but for our material well-being (e.g. a "painless" ending to our life), but isn't it ultimately pointless to do so if such an eventuality is decided and observable exclusively within a naturalist, materialist framework? I suppose this could possibly lead to some significant philosophical problems (e.g. God of the Gaps not as heretical but as the only theologically consistent understanding), but I'd be interested in hearing your input.

Well, grace is not something magical.  I think people with simple minds tend to look for a sign or miracle that "proves" God, when in fact, God is much bigger than that.  Perhaps, in an age where people haven't matured in mind yet, that this is acceptable.  But we are a much more wiser and smarter human species than thousands of years ago.  We no longer take milk, but solids, as St. Paul teaches.  Therefore, we know God is quite a systematic God, and rivals in organization and consistency.

So, pretty much, we believe that God sustains all things through His grace.  There is not one minuscule material or spiritual matter that isn't sustained by His grace.  All creation is sustained through Him.  Therefore, just because something can be healed by antibiotics does not mean we ignore God's grace.  His grace gives us the realization that nothing we do that can be through Him is in vain.  But if we dig deeper, and do all things on a purely materialistic basis, then all things disintegrate into vanity.

The most important proof in all of this is that God became man.  Therefore, whatever God did materialistically, it's no longer grace in a merciful fashion, but a truly intimate and more superior grace.  Now, I carry God in me.  And it is of utmost importance that this blessing be magnified in all things we do.

Atheists who do things on a purely materialistic basis simply work in the dark.  They may say we don't need light, we created night vision goggles.  But for the believers, God to us is the light that lightens all things.  Sure, theoretically, I may not need even vision to do some of the mundane things in life, but vision adds meaning to what you do, not in a magical sense, but in a grateful sense.

As we pray in the Coptic Church, "We thank You for every condition, concerning every condition, and in every condition, for You covered us, helped us, guarded us, accepted us to You, spared us, supported us, and has brought us to this hour."  That is what an Orthodox Christian does.  We give thanks in ALL things, not just in the things we can't explain.  If miraculously my bracelet shows up after I know I dropped it in the sewers, or somehow I passed the hardest exam in the world that I should have failed, are these the only things I thank God for?  Or do I thank God for waking up, for being able to walk to the shower, for having the means to live and to care for my family, for having the intelligence to study and to work, for eating my breakfast, lunch, and dinner?  This is true grace.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:59:25 PM by NightOwl » Logged
Tags: OCN Million 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: