OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:33:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Demiana  (Read 310 times) Average Rating: 0
Pharaoh714

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Rite

Lord Have Mercy! Christ Save me.

« on: October 14, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »

Hey everyone, Peace of Christ to all.

Does anyone know why St. Demiana  is not known among the Western Christians or among E.O??

Was she canonized later after the schism? She did suffer under Diocletian. Thanks.

"If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:25:36 PM »

Hey everyone, Peace of Christ to all.

Does anyone know why St. Demiana  is not known among the Western Christians or among E.O??

Was she canonized later after the schism? She did suffer under Diocletian. Thanks.

Generally, early martyrs aren't canonized, they're simply added to the list. And there's no authoritative complete list of Eastern Orthodox (or even Roman Catholic saints) that I know of. Oftentimes, even ancient saints have only a local veneration. That's not at all to say others don't recognize them as saints, but sanctoral calendars are by and large local things. (Then there are those saints who fall out of public veneration, being forgotten or superseded by others.)

Wikipedia says Empress St. Helen built a church over her tomb. I couldn't find anything else in a cursory search. But if she comes to the attention of those who make calendars of saints--ones which have a lot--she may be added.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »

Wikipedia says Empress St. Helen built a church over her tomb. I couldn't find anything else in a cursory search. But if she comes to the attention of those who make calendars of saints--ones which have a lot--she may be added.

I should think that you'd have to look up specifically Coptic sources for more information on her. As Pharaoh417 points out, she is not known to the Western or E.O. churches. I am not even sure if she is venerated in other OO churches outside of the Coptic (I've never heard anything about that from my Ethiopian or Armenian friends, so I'm thinking she isn't). You can read about her life and martyrdom in the Coptic synaxarium, which records her martyrdom on Toba 13.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »

St Demiana is the saint I wrote about hereSmiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags: Oriental Orthodox saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: