OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:24:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incense at Liturgy  (Read 762 times) Average Rating: 0
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« on: October 14, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »

I hope this isn't a boneheaded question, but it never occurred to me to ask before:

What kind of incense do Orthodox churches use in the Liturgy?

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 04:39:23 PM »

I hope this isn't a boneheaded question, but it never occurred to me to ask before:

What kind of incense do Orthodox churches use in the Liturgy?

It varies considerably, though it's almost always very sweet, though I think Russians have a tradition of using rougher resin during Lent.
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »

It varies considerably, though it's almost always very sweet, though I think Russians have a tradition of using rougher resin during Lent.

I guess, logically, my next question would be whether there is a specific set of standards and/or requirements the Orthodox Church applies in determining what kinds of incense are acceptable for use in the Liturgy.  Something tells me they don't just go to the mall and pick up a bag of patchouli.  lol.  Does the Orthodox Church consider some kinds of incense acceptable and others not acceptable?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:58:16 PM by newtoorthodoxy » Logged

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:19:54 PM »

I guess, logically, my next question would be whether there is a specific set of standards and/or requirements the Orthodox Church applies in determining what kinds of incense are acceptable for use in the Liturgy.  Something tells me they don't just go to the mall and pick up a bag of patchouli.  lol.  Does the Orthodox Church consider some kinds of incense acceptable and others not acceptable?

Church incense is frankincense tears, either plain or infused with essential oils in complementary fragrances. Myrrh (obviously), rose, lily and spikenard are popular. Some monasteries develop secret signature recipes. Cenacle, paradoxically, carries some of my favourites.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »

Church incense is frankincense tears, either plain or infused with essential oils in complementary fragrances. Myrrh (obviously), rose, lily and spikenard are popular. Some monasteries develop secret signature recipes. Cenacle, paradoxically, carries some of my favourites.

And then I googled 'frankincense tears' and found this information:  http://www.ehow.com/how_7402912_use-frankincense-tears.html

Perhaps this is why incense at Liturgy (both Orthodox and at the Catholic churches I used to attend) is very soothing to me, while regular 'hippie' incense (rofl) gives me a raging headache that takes three days or more for me to get rid of.

Thank you so much for the info!

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

Liturgical incense is sold as pellets. Sometimes the incense is very dusty, which is a PITA to use, because the dust must be cleaned out before the incense is put into the censer, which is additional work. Incense is usually made at monasteries, such as Mt. Athos, Holy Cross in Wayne, and others.
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »

Liturgical incense is sold as pellets. Sometimes the incense is very dusty, which is a PITA to use, because the dust must be cleaned out before the incense is put into the censer, which is additional work. Incense is usually made at monasteries, such as Mt. Athos, Holy Cross in Wayne, and others.

What is PITA an acronym for?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »

Pain
In
The
A__

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »

Pain
In
The
A__

Ah.  lol.  Sorry about that.

IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »

Liturgical incense is sold as pellets. Sometimes the incense is very dusty, which is a PITA to use, because the dust must be cleaned out before the incense is put into the censer, which is additional work.

So true about the dust.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »

Pain
In
The
A__

Nope, not "Ah".  "H" definitely doesn't fill in the blank accurately.  Wink
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:52:25 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »

back home, in somewhat older days-like up to the nineties or so, regular pine or fir tree resin was commonplace. now imported stuff is more available.
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 05:56:06 PM »

Pain
In
The
A__

Nope, not "Ah".  "H" definitely doesn't fill in the blank accurately.  Wink

rofl

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »

back home, in somewhat older days-like up to the nineties or so, regular pine or fir tree resin was commonplace. now imported stuff is more available.

I'm very sensitive to pine, so it's a safe bet that stuff would have given me the 3-day headache I've come to know and dread.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »

Liturgical incense is sold as pellets. Sometimes the incense is very dusty, which is a PITA to use, because the dust must be cleaned out before the incense is put into the censer, which is additional work.

So true about the dust.

Are you talking about the charcoal ash or the talcum powder which is sometimes coating the incense?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »

Are you talking about the charcoal ash or the talcum powder which is sometimes coating the incense?

I would assume that's some sort of packaging process to keep the pellets from sticking together in clumps? 

IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »

So true about the dust.

Talcum powder.  The monastery where I buy it seems to add way too much with the incense.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:21:55 PM by IXOYE » Logged
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »

I would assume that's some sort of packaging process to keep the pellets from sticking together in clumps? 

It is.  Sometimes, depending on the place making the incense, too much talcum powder is added.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »

So true about the dust.

Talcum powder.  The monastery where I buy it seems to add way too much with the incense.

Well, without it, it would be a sticky mess.  Smiley

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 08:54:58 AM »

And then I googled 'frankincense tears' and found this information:  http://www.ehow.com/how_7402912_use-frankincense-tears.html

Note: Don't try either the mortar and pestle or the coffee grinder thing at home, unless you have frozen the tears and you just blitz them for two seconds. Friction warms the resin and you will end up with a sticky mess (not to mention doing in the grinder blades).

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »

It is.  Sometimes, depending on the place making the incense, too much talcum powder is added.

I knew of one monastery that used clay instead of talcum.  When I made my own incense, I used ground frankincense in place of talcum or clay.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 10:08:12 AM »

Yeah, the clay (not really sure what kind) helps keep it from being sticky as the incense cures.  I think some incense makers use talcum because it's more readily available.

IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »

So true about the dust.

I throw out half of the powder and it is fine.  There just is an over-abundance of it.  It is messy opening the box of incense.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »

So true about the dust.

I throw out half of the powder and it is fine.  There just is an over-abundance of it.  It is messy opening the box of incense.

What monastery makes the one you use?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »

So true about the dust.

If incense is cured for a long enough period of time, it won't stick together unless it's exposed to a lot of humidity.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 01:04:40 PM »

IIRC, the incense made by the monks at Holy Cross Hermitage (Wayne, WV) is cured for a whole month.  I have a couple of packages and I can attest that they are not sticky.

Tags: incense 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: