OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:56:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a Byzantine Catholic or an Eastern Orthodox church?  (Read 910 times) Average Rating: 0
griego catolico
Elder

Faith: Catholic

...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.

« on: March 08, 2014, 02:41:54 AM »

These photos are used on the main page of Catholicmatch.com:Photo 1 and Photo 2

The mystery is where this beautiful church is located and to which jurisdiction does it belong.

Ukrainian Catholic? Ukrainian Orthodox? Russian Orthodox?
Looks like Saint Vladimir is depicted on the wall and it may be St. Job of Pochaev on the iconostasis. If so, that may narrow down the search.

I sent an email for more info about the church used in their advertising. This was their response:
This church photo is a stock photo that we used, and we do not know where it came from.   We purchased the rights to use the photo because of it's architectural beauty.    We're not sure whether the church is Byzantine or Eastern Orthodox.     We do not know the location or name of the church.

I doubt that it is an actual wedding that is taking place. It looks more to me like just a photo shoot.

Any assistance to solving this mystery will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:58:40 AM by griego catolico » Logged
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 03:26:04 AM »

this will be a toufy

especially since you cannot see the names of any particular saints who might be in one or the other!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 07:31:20 AM »

My vote is that it's Orthodox.  I've been in many Byzantine and Ukrainian Catholic Churches and I've never seen one so ornate.  You might look up Byzantine Churches in cities like Pittsburgh and see if their websites highlight such a beautiful interior.
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:48:08 AM »

I don't think its possible to tell.   I have seen both Greek Catholic and Orthodox parishes this ornate. 
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 07:53:21 AM »

I suspect Catholic, on the strength of that stained glass window, the like of which I've never seen in an Orthodox church. But just because I haven't seen one doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any, so I may be wrong.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »

who has the icons we kiss so close to the couple?

Greeks have these icons near the door and you kiss them when you enter into the church except some special days  where you can find only 1 icon there

maybe it's a key to find what church is
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:06:59 AM by Ersaia » Logged
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 10:12:20 AM »

Greeks have these icons near the door and you kiss them when you enter into the church except some special days  where you can find only 1 icon there

In Slavic tradition, that is where the icons are located in the church.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »

Impossible to tell with the info/pics given.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 10:32:43 AM »

The mystery is where this beautiful church is located and to which jurisdiction does it belong.

Ukrainian Catholic? Ukrainian Orthodox? Russian Orthodox?
Looks like Saint Vladimir is depicted on the wall and it may be St. Job of Pochaev on the iconostasis. If so, that may narrow down the search.

I sent an email for more info about the church used in their advertising. This was their response:
This church photo is a stock photo that we used, and we do not know where it came from.   We purchased the rights to use the photo because of it's architectural beauty.    We're not sure whether the church is Byzantine or Eastern Orthodox.     We do not know the location or name of the church.

I doubt that it is an actual wedding that is taking place. It looks more to me like just a photo shoot.

Any assistance to solving this mystery will be greatly appreciated.
It would be ironic if an Orthodox Church image were used on a Catholic dating site.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

More important....tell us all why you are hanging out at CatholicMatch?Wink

We are good listeners...we promise!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 11:19:05 AM »

He's Greek Catholic, perhaps?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »

He's Greek Catholic, perhaps?

since it says he is Catholic, I had that much...

I meant...'Tell us all your dating woes, your one......'

Undecided
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »

The only thing that makes me wonder are the icons on the stands. Usually Greek Catholics and Orthodoc of the Ukrainian persuasion only have the festal icon on the tetrapod not Jesus n Mary icons on stands. The rail looks like its an old country photo. I don't know if Greek Catholics actually do use the stands in old country. Seriously, it's so hard to tell.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »

Really? I know my Antiochian parish always had them to the front like this, including one brought out to venerate right before communion, but the OCA church I'm at only has them near the door. The rest of its traditions/customs seem to be Slavic. I just assumed it was a general Byzantine thing.
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »

The only thing that makes me wonder are the icons on the stands. Usually Greek Catholics and Orthodoc of the Ukrainian persuasion only have the festal icon on the tetrapod not Jesus n Mary icons on stands. The rail looks like its an old country photo. I don't know if Greek Catholics actually do use the stands in old country. Seriously, it's so hard to tell.

We have Jesus and Mary on stands beside the tetrapod in our parish.

This photo, however, was not taken in our parish.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:49:16 AM by Yurysprudentsiya » Logged
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 11:50:27 AM »

Really? I know my Antiochian parish always had them to the front like this, including one brought out to venerate right before communion, but the OCA church I'm at only has them near the door. The rest of its traditions/customs seem to be Slavic. I just assumed it was a general Byzantine thing.

Every Ukrainian parish I've visited has the festal icon or patronal icon on the tetrapod.  When you come in to church, you first go to the tetrapod, venerate the icon, and there are usually candle stands on either side to place your candles.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 12:15:30 PM »

Every Ukrainian parish I've visited has the festal icon or patronal icon on the tetrapod.  When you come in to church, you first go to the tetrapod, venerate the icon, and there are usually candle stands on either side to place your candles.

Interesting. Sadly, there aren't any Ukrainian parishes even remotely close to me. When I think about it, at my Antiochian parish, the patronal icon was actually out in the narthex, whereas we would have either a festal icon or an icon of Jesus/Mary on a stand to the side.

Like this:

And there are a couple smaller stands further to the sides and closer to the iconostasis, one of Mary and one of Jesus:

griego catolico
Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »

Hahaha!  Cheesy  I have no need for CatholicMatch.  

It's an advertisement that sometimes is displayed on Catholic blogs and sites. So when the image of a couple getting married in a Byzantine church showed up, it caught my attention.

I love a good mystery and I certainly would like to know where this church is.
I would have thought that a church as beautiful as this would have other photos of its interior on-line. So far, I have not been able to discover any.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:45:18 PM by griego catolico » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »

See this page for more photos and the name of the copyright owner (who lists her residence as being Russia, fwiw).

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »

I will ask her
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »

Exactly, which is why this is a Russian church.

Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »

See this page for more photos and the name of the copyright owner (who lists her residence as being Russia, fwiw).

that will be very helpful i think

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »

Interesting. Sadly, there aren't any Ukrainian parishes even remotely close to me. When I think about it, at my Antiochian parish, the patronal icon was actually out in the narthex, whereas we would have either a festal icon or an icon of Jesus/Mary on a stand to the side.

Like this:

And there are a couple smaller stands further to the sides and closer to the iconostasis, one of Mary and one of Jesus:

I recognize almost all the clergy/monastics in that photo... You must live near "almost heaven"? Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 03:10:32 PM »

I recognize almost all the clergy/monastics in that photo... You must live near "almost heaven"? Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

Is "almost heaven" some sort of joke about West Virginia? Tongue

I lived in Ohio, not WV, but close enough that I did attend the parish in the pictures.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

Is "almost heaven" some sort of joke about West Virginia? Tongue

I lived in Ohio, not WV, but close enough that I did attend the parish in the pictures.
Awesome! It was a reference to WV and also to Holy Cross monastery. Beautiful area. Do you all still live there?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »

Has to be Russian Orthodox

griego catolico
Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »

Wow!! Awesome! Fantastic! Bravo!  Smiley

Asteriktos, you just made my day! Grin

The photographer is listed as Ms. Tatiana Morozova, who is located in Moscow. Her website is: http://www.tm-art.ru/

I will ask her

You will contact Ms. Morozova? Great!  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:54:43 PM by griego catolico » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »

Apparently those 333+ days are NOT a waste, Asteriktos  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 01:20:09 AM »

Church of the Transfiguration, Lviv, Ukraine.

Divine Liturgy at the 17th-century church of St. Michael the Archangel in Lviv, Ukraine.

Around Pittsburgh there are some eastern catholic churches that "might" pass for the "russian" one in the photo.
Here are pictures of three Ukrainian Catholic Churches in Ukraine. The first one has some similarities to the "russian" church in the wedding ad. The other two are more latinized.  Anything is possible... I havent fine tuned enough details to know whats what. However, the fact that the deacon or is it priest is wearing a red kamilavka with those particular vestments that strikes me as a sign that it is probably an orthodox church in russia.

Edited to re-size images.  Mor
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:43:50 AM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 11:10:58 AM »

^ Those are rather similar to Russian Orthodox popular style of the 18th and 19th centuries for sure! Same styles hold true for Greek Catholic churches of the same era in Slovakia, Romania, Poland and Hungary of that era and those built by immigrants from there in North America in that era. (Both Orthodox and Greek Catholic.)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: