OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 10:51:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The mass of Paul VI  (Read 7113 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: October 14, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »

I was wondering, since there is so much variation, in how roman catholics celebrate their liturgies, I have actually never figured out what the "correct" way to celebrate the mass of Paul VI is.

I sometimes like watching videos of catholic masses and I would like to know what the traditional catholics(or just catholics in general) would think of this mass:
http://katolsk.mediaplatform.dk/video/watch/1853/63

It is not exactly a Tridentine Mass, but I honestly didn't think it was especially bad.

I would also appreciate if you could maybe give some examples of what you would consider a "proper" mass.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »

I sometimes like watching videos of catholic masses and I would like to know what the traditional catholics(or just catholics in general) would think of this mass:

It is not exactly a Tridentine Mass, but I honestly didn't think it was especially bad.

Lay people distributing communion alongside with the priest?!

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »

Pews?!

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »

Silly Franks. Just replace Novus Ordo with dialogue version of Tridentine mass in vernacular.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »

Silly Franks. Just replace Novus Ordo with dialogue version of Tridentine mass in vernacular.
That's what I'm saying.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »

I'm a bit confused about why the title of the video includes the words "Latinsk messe" when, as you say, it's not a Tridentine Mass.

Unfortunately, there isn't really consent about what the correct way to celebrate the Novus Ordo is, but if we were to go by the recommendations of the council which advised the revision (recommending the preservation of Latin and Gregorian chant, while only suggesting a simplification and use of the vernacular), then the answer would probably be "as much like the Tridentine as the rubrics will possibly allow," in other words, the Mass should be celebrated the way it has always been.

(The use of lay or "Extraordinary" ministers of Holy Communion is intended to be a provision for parishes large enough that only having one person distributing communion would lengthen the Mass to a ridiculous extent. However, it is widely taken as a means of getting through the distribution of communion as quickly as possible.)

We used to do basically a Tridentine dialogue Mass in the vernacular; it was a temporary revision of the Mass in 1967 after Vatican II. But apparently that wasn't good enough for some bishops, and Pope Paul VI spent the last years of his papacy trying to fix the mess he'd helped make.

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »

I'm a bit confused about why the title of the video includes the words "Latinsk messe" when, as you say, it's not a Tridentine Mass.

If I understand it correctly, it simply means that it is a latin rite mass.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »

In what way pope Paul VI tried clear the mess?

Regnare
Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »

I believe his action mostly involved trying to revive the use of traditional chant during the Mass.

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »

That's what I'm saying.

I've always wondered why this was never done.

This may be apocryphal, but supposedly Fr. Alexander Schmemann, when asked his thoughts after observing Vatican II, said, "I'm glad I'm Orthodox."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:46 PM »

Lay people distributing communion alongside with the priest?!

Common practice at the RC masses I've been to. Good ol' "extraordinary minister of Holy Communion."

Seeing middle-aged women wearing t-shirts and jeans handing out communion was just strange for me. Frankly it still is, whenever I end up at a RC Mass.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »

Seeing middle-aged women wearing t-shirts and jeans handing out communion was just strange for me. Frankly it still is, whenever I end up at a RC Mass.

That's why I make sure to end up at the right type of RC Mass or none at all.  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

I don't know what the RC's here think, but this was hands down one of the nicest "Novus Ordo" Masses I've seen.  I haven't seen any "new" Mass done this well in person, even when it was all in Latin and with music, incense, and other rites, broadcasts from the Vatican being the exception. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:54 PM »

I don't know what the RC's here think, but this was hands down one of the nicest "Novus Ordo" Masses I've seen.  I haven't seen any "new" Mass done this well in person, even when it was all in Latin and with music, incense, and other rites, broadcasts from the Vatican being the exception. 

I think this is another nicely done Novus Ordo/OF Mass. Ad Orientem, even.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 11:10:19 PM »

I was wondering, since there is so much variation, in how roman catholics celebrate their liturgies, I have actually never figured out what the "correct" way to celebrate the mass of Paul VI is.

I would also appreciate if you could maybe give some examples of what you would consider a "proper" mass.

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/

If you get EWTN they do it right.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 01:34:47 AM »

That's what I'm saying.
Sadly no one in the Roman Church is listening to you.

The Mass in the first post is better than many of the Masses in the SF East Bay area. I have actually been to Lutheran services that are very similar.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 05:18:27 AM »

It's an abomination.  Angry

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »

If the priest would follow the rubrics in the Roman missal the "Mass of Paul VI" can be done reverently and beautifully, but most priest chose the shortest forms and also did whatever they thought looked cute.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Regnare
Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:35 AM »

Here's a Novus Ordo Mass celebrated like it should be.

http://www.canons-regular.org/go/apostolates/ordinary-form-tutorials/

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »

My husband and I will be attending Mass here (http://www.stmichaelsabbey.com/abbey/) this Sunday. I suspect it won't be much like that video.  Cool

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »

You never know...I've only heard good things about Norbertines, though I've never seen one in real life.  Smiley

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »

It was really wonderful! It was the so-called "New Mass" but almost ALL in Latin using the Gregorian Chant. Will write more later - gotta go out to breakfast!  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 01:04:40 PM »

Are all Danish RC masses like that? I'm fairly suprised how traditional that is. Finnish RC masses are a bit more of a low church.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »

Yes, this looks about how it should be done.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »

It was really wonderful! It was the so-called "New Mass" but almost ALL in Latin using the Gregorian Chant. Will write more later - gotta go out to breakfast!  Grin
Interesting. The Norbertines in New Mexico are etremely low church liberals. Their church is ugly and their liturgy is uglier.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:18:29 PM by Papist » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

Didn't Pope Pius X ban baroque music in Mass?

-Samuel Coleridge
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 03:10:52 PM »

Didn't Pope Pius X ban baroque music in Mass?
wouldn't baroque music be a great improvement over what Roman churches have now?  Cheesy That being said, the ban may not be applicable to the new rite of the mass.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »

wouldn't baroque music be a great improvement over what Roman churches have now?  Cheesy

True that  Smiley

That being said, the ban may not be applicable to the new rite of the mass.

I suppose that's indeed the case. Pity, though. Nothing beats Gregorian chant.

-Samuel Coleridge
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »

It was really wonderful! It was the so-called "New Mass" but almost ALL in Latin using the Gregorian Chant. Will write more later - gotta go out to breakfast!  Grin
Interesting. The Norbertines in New Mexico are etremely low church liberals. Their church is ugly and their liturgy is uglier.

Perhaps the ones in New Mexico are not the best representatives of their tradition. The ones in El Toro, CA certainly are. And their liturgy is anything BUT ugly.

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »

Perhaps the ones in New Mexico are not the best representatives of their tradition. The ones in El Toro, CA certainly are. And their liturgy is anything BUT ugly.

I agree.  St. Michael's Abbey in Silverton, CA has an exceptional Liturgy and they are very, very orthodox in the Roman Catholic sense. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »

Well this is good news. Glad to hear it.

username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »

A Benedictine priest says 1962 roman missal every sunday at 11am Twice a month it is sung by a great Schola. AItsits
This is 30min away from me.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:42:30 PM by username! » Logged

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »

For me, it has to be:
1. No Praise and Worship music, semi-traditional hymns or Chant with organ or accapella only
2. Ministers must be properly vested
3. Priest must not speed through, and not spend 10 minutes after the sign of the cross talking about his day.
4. Priest must be orthodox in teaching when giving the homily
5. Must not have priest's chair in the middle unless it's a Cathedral, and must have a crucifix on the altar
6. Anything but this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh_nqtp3VrU

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »

For me, it has to be:
1. No Praise and Worship music, semi-traditional hymns or Chant with organ or accapella only
3. Priest must not speed through, and not spend 10 minutes after the sign of the cross talking about his day.
5. Must not have priest's chair in the middle unless it's a Cathedral, and must have a crucifix on the altar

What is the dickens was the YouTube extract supposed to be. And are people supposed to be 'entertained', or worship or what at this dog's dinner? I had previously seen a RC Mass from California with dancing, bowls of incense carried aloft and wondered whether liturgical reform was a polite term for something unrepeatable.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »

For me, it has to be:

What is the dickens was the YouTube extract supposed to be. And are people supposed to be 'entertained', or worship or what at this dog's dinner? I had previously seen a RC Mass from California with dancing, bowls of incense carried aloft and wondered whether liturgical reform was a polite term for something unrepeatable.

That YouTube extract was supposed to be some form of Messa Disastrica, I believe. And I spell it "Messa" on purpose. I assume it's some form of pagan Kool-Aid ritual that will end up with the participants dead from either the dancers or their guts being destroyed from the sheer absurdity of this... thing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:28:18 PM by brastaseptim » Logged

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »

Isn't this from a vagante group at least?
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 10:39:55 PM »

How does one find an orthodox Catholic Church?

The most traditional parish in my city has a picture on its front page of a woman holding a communion host.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

The most traditional parish in my city has a picture on its front page of a woman holding a communion host.

What city are you in?

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »

What city are you in?

Louisville, Kentucky.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 11:09:41 PM »

And that makes it okay? The most Broad Church Anglicans would be ashamed to try this, and considering the past 40 years, that's saying something.

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »

I actually stumbled at the title of the thread.  It seems to suggest that Paul VI was really really fat.  

mass, not capitalized =

mass  (ms)
n.
1. A unified body of matter with no specific shape: a mass of clay.
2. A grouping of individual parts or elements that compose a unified body of unspecified size or quantity: "Take mankind in mass, and for the most part, they seem a mob of unnecessary duplicates" (Herman Melville).
3. A large but nonspecific amount or number: a mass of bruises.
4. A lump or aggregate of coherent material: a cancerous mass.
5. The principal part; the majority: the mass of the continent.
6. The physical volume or bulk of a solid body.
7. Abbr. m Physics A property of matter equal to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in either the speed or direction of its motion. The mass of an object is not dependent on gravity and therefore is different from but proportional to its weight.
8. An area of unified light, shade, or color in a painting.
9. Pharmacology A thick, pasty mixture containing drugs from which pills are formed.
10. masses The body of common people or people of low socioeconomic status: "Give me your tired, your poor,/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" (Emma Lazarus).
tr. & intr.v. massed, mass·ing, mass·es
To gather or be gathered into a mass.
adj.
1. Of, relating to, characteristic of, directed at, or attended by a large number of people: mass education; mass communication.
2. Done or carried out on a large scale: mass production.
3. Total; complete: The mass result is impressive.

Mass, capitalized =

Mass  (ms)
n.
a. Public celebration of the Eucharist in the Roman Catholic Church and some Protestant churches.
b. The sacrament of the Eucharist.
2. A musical setting of certain parts of the Mass, especially the Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei.

Catholics don't hold mass.  They hold Mass.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and the guy really was incredibly fat.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:15:37 PM by newtoorthodoxy » Logged

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 01:00:06 AM »

I actually stumbled at the title of the thread.  It seems to suggest that Paul VI was really really fat.  

I think this thread has reached "critical liturgy".  Grin

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 01:07:48 AM »

No one surpasses the Orthodox when it comes to "critical liturgy". 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 01:11:25 AM »

I'd like to say otherwise, but sadly, I've found no one who "critical liturgies" like Gaston- I mean, the Orthodox.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2013, 01:27:04 AM »

I'd like to say otherwise, but sadly, I've found no one who "critical liturgies" like Gaston- I mean, the Orthodox.
We are really quite good at expectorating at the Devil.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:28:06 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 01:29:21 AM »

We are extremely good at expectorating at the Devil.

You mean you think happy thoughts of Paschas gone by, light and aim a candle (or trikiria if a Bishop) and shout "Expecto Patronum?"

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »

What city are you in?

Louisville, Kentucky.

Have you checked this one? http://www.stmartinoftourschurch.org/
St. Martin of Tours - their website looks pretty good and they have Mass in the Extraordinary Form on a regular basis.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »

Mass in the extraordinary form?HuhHuhHuh?? Is this code for something bizarre?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:32:28 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »

The "old Latin Mass" is known as the the Extraordinary Form of the Mass.

The "Pauline" mass is known as the Ordinary Form.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »

Why they just don't call them "old Mass" and "new Mass" I'll never know.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

What city are you in?

Louisville, Kentucky.

Have you checked this one? http://www.stmartinoftourschurch.org/
St. Martin of Tours - their website looks pretty good and they have Mass in the Extraordinary Form on a regular basis.

That's actually the parish I was referring to. Looks like they removed the photo.

It's pretty nice. They have a few Byzantine style icons, no instruments other than an organ, the preaching was pretty good the few times I went.

If only I could forget Orthodoxy and go back to Rome.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »

If only I could forget Orthodoxy and go back to Rome.

That feeling might wither away over time. I went to a Tridentine mass few weeks back and was suprised how used I had got to some Byzantine elements over the years despite initial problems with getting used to the Byzantine services. It was weird to attend a church without iconostasis and with organs for starters.

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 07:25:50 PM »

Most people under 50 off the internet have no clue what the old
Mass is. 

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »

Mass is. 

Now they have no excuse.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »

Mass is. 

I'm under 30 years old. I beg to differ.

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »

Most people under 50 off the internet have no clue what the old Mass is. 

You are also posting on an internet board.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »

Most people under 50 off the internet have no clue what the old Mass is. 

You are also posting on an internet board.

Good point.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2013, 10:41:32 PM »

The old Mass is the awesome Mass. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »

Agreed. Except the silent canon- I could never get used to that.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »

I think without exception the people I know IRL who use the phrase "the extraordinary form" are all converts.

Everyone else just says "the old mass."

Heck, I've known cradle Catholics who didn't know the EF was different than the NO until they were in their 30s. They thought it was the same, just in Latin.

That's how I know NO is the new tradition. People have shorter memories than we give them credit for.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »

I think without exception the people I know IRL who use the phrase "the extraordinary form" are all converts.

Heck, I've known cradle Catholics who didn't know the EF was different than the NO until they were in their 30s. They thought it was the same, just in Latin.

That's how I know NO is the new tradition. People have shorter memories than we give them credit for.

I suppose it depends on how much of a difference there was, and how sharp of a contrast. If you go from, say Latin Mass, to giant walking Jesus puppets with dancing people in the sanctuary, running about sprinkling holy water like people are catching fire, and using Kool-Aid pitchers for cruets, they will notice a difference. Sadly, I'm seen exactly that kind of Mass.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »

I go back and forth on it.  On the one hand, I appreciate pregnant silence, but on the other hand it's fairly short-lived, frequently punctuated by bell-ringing, and, if at a sung Mass, is of even shorter duration.  I think it's an interesting development, considering no other Liturgy has an entirely silent anaphora, and how much importance the RC's placed on the words of institution.  The words which effect transubstantiation are said silently, but the actions are dramatised, which is almost the opposite of what the East does.  I also wonder how "safe" it is: at least with the ad libbing that often happens with the Mass texts nowadays, you can hear it and know it's wrong, but who's to say that a priest reciting a silent canon is actually reciting the canon?  And it was clearly meant to be recited audibly.  

What I really can't get used to is Low Mass.  At least where I go, the silent parts are silent, the audible parts are mumbled, and the Mass is drowned out by the blessed babbling of children and the congregants shifting in their creaking pews and kneelers.  The homily and the Leonine Prayers are the only thing you can hear.  I don't know why the priests can't read the audible parts louder?  The silent canon helps confirm the idea that the Liturgy ought to be mostly silent, if not in theory then in practice.  High Mass, on the other hand, is a sublime experience, at least equal to all the Eastern Liturgies and even better than one or two of them IMO (comparing an average RC parish Mass to an average EO/OO parish Liturgy).  I want to like Low Mass, but no matter how often I attend, I can't.        

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »

I suppose it depends on how much of a difference there was, and how sharp of a contrast. If you go from, say Latin Mass, to giant walking Jesus puppets with dancing people in the sanctuary, running about sprinkling holy water like people are catching fire, and using Kool-Aid pitchers for cruets, they will notice a difference. Sadly, I'm seen exactly that kind of Mass.
Nah, these were just genteel Catholics from Mobile who attended a quiet low Mass in an old church. They'd have possibly gotten violent if the creepy puppets walked in.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2013, 11:13:05 PM »

I go back and forth on it.  On the one hand, I appreciate pregnant silence, but on the other hand it's fairly short-lived, frequently punctuated by bell-ringing, and, if at a sung Mass, is of even shorter duration.  I think it's an interesting development, considering no other Liturgy has an entirely silent anaphora, and how much importance the RC's placed on the words of institution.  The words which effect transubstantiation are said silently, but the actions are dramatised, which is almost the opposite of what the East does.  I also wonder how "safe" it is: at least with the ad libbing that often happens with the Mass texts nowadays, you can hear it and know it's wrong, but who's to say that a priest reciting a silent canon is actually reciting the canon?  And it was clearly meant to be recited audibly.  

What I really can't get used to is Low Mass.  At least where I go, the silent parts are silent, the audible parts are mumbled, and the Mass is drowned out by the blessed babbling of children and the congregants shifting in their creaking pews and kneelers.  The homily and the Leonine Prayers are the only thing you can hear.  I don't know why the priests can't read the audible parts louder?  The silent canon helps confirm the idea that the Liturgy ought to be mostly silent, if not in theory then in practice.  High Mass, on the other hand, is a sublime experience, at least equal to all the Eastern Liturgies and even better than one or two of them IMO (comparing an average RC parish Mass to an average EO/OO parish Liturgy).  I want to like Low Mass, but no matter how often I attend, I can't.        

I haven't been to enough Low Masses to know- however, I've seen two ends of the NO spectrum- one the closest equivalent to a Tridentine High Mass ,with deacons in dalmatics, properly vested servers, incense, chant and occasionally chanted propers; and the closest thing to a Low Mass, which takes roughly 30 minutes, has one server at best, and the priest mumbles every last word or tries to ad lib and rush their way through. Sadly, I've seen a praise-and-worship laced mixture of the two conducted by even Bishops, most commonly at the LifeTeen events I go to due to being under 25 and in need to get out of my house, yet despise thoroughly.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »

And that makes it okay? The most Broad Church Anglicans would be ashamed to try this, and considering the past 40 years, that's saying something.

Not "okay," but at least not a RC problem is all.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2013, 12:11:24 AM »

Not "okay," but at least not a RC problem is all.

But it is- just because it's a vagante RC group that tried this, doesn't mean that some non-vagante priests haven't thought of trying something like this. I can personally attest having to deal with irritating LifeTeen Masses back in my Catholic high school years. While not as absolutely out-there, they still served to do more to distract me from the Mass than to draw me into it. "This is my Body, which shall be given up for you." My Lord and my... wait, why are you lowering Him so fast? "...Do this in remembrance of me." My Jesus, merc- Oh come on, can't I have one second to adore? "The Mystery of Faith..." We proclaim your death, O Lord... wait, why is he halfway through the Anaphora already? Please, O Lord, make him slow down! "Through Him and With Him and in Him.." Finally, I have a moment... "Our Father who art in..." I stand corrected. "Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the World.." Have mercy on us. Receive me, O Lord today as- oh come on, you can't possibly have started Communion that fast?!

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2013, 12:24:05 AM »

But it is- just because it's a vagante RC group that tried this, doesn't mean that some non-vagante priests haven't thought of trying something like this. I can personally attest having to deal with irritating LifeTeen Masses back in my Catholic high school years. While not as absolutely out-there, they still served to do more to distract me from the Mass than to draw me into it. "This is my Body, which shall be given up for you." My Lord and my... wait, why are you lowering Him so fast? "...Do this in remembrance of me." My Jesus, merc- Oh come on, can't I have one second to adore? "The Mystery of Faith..." We proclaim your death, O Lord... wait, why is he halfway through the Anaphora already? Please, O Lord, make him slow down! "Through Him and With Him and in Him.." Finally, I have a moment... "Our Father who art in..." I stand corrected. "Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the World.." Have mercy on us. Receive me, O Lord today as- oh come on, you can't possibly have started Communion that fast?!

I'll concede on that point since I don't have that kind of experience, having never been RC myself.

I just meant to defend against that specific video in question. I wasn't trying to say that nothing like that happens in non-vagante groups.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »

Yep. The liturgical reforms of the 60s and 70s should have merely translated the TLM into the venacular.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2013, 01:08:49 AM »

I'll concede on that point since I don't have that kind of experience, having never been RC myself.

I just meant to defend against that specific video in question. I wasn't trying to say that nothing like that happens in non-vagante groups.

Feel very lucky. The worst you've likely seen is sped-up Vigils and organ-ridden Liturgies.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2013, 01:20:58 AM »

Feel very lucky. The worst you've likely seen is sped-up Vigils and organ-ridden Liturgies.

Well, the daily Mass at my university that I just witnessed was a bit of a barebones/irreverent mess. Half of the people didn't even kneel during the consecration/etc. (I don't know what the parts are that are called that require kneeling). Apparently since it had folding chairs and no kneelers, people just don't kneel. There was a plainclothes eucharistic minister (and female FWIW) up around the altar and then handling the chalice, which still baffles me every time I see it. The priest did it in a rote manner and almost as if he were bored - being older may have something do with it, IDK. I regret going to these sorts of Masses every time the sign of peace stuff comes around, with people walking across the church to hug/shake hands, wave at people, etc. Breaks any reverence that was left, IMO.

OTOH, I have seen a nice, reverent OF Mass done at a wedding to stand in contrast. I really enjoyed it, and it felt a bit more like what I always had expected Catholicism to be. I plan to visit an EF Mass at a classmate's FSSP church soon, which should be good.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2013, 08:35:51 AM »

Well, the daily Mass at my university that I just witnessed was a bit of a barebones/irreverent mess. Half of the people didn't even kneel during the consecration/etc. (I don't know what the parts are that are called that require kneeling). Apparently since it had folding chairs and no kneelers, people just don't kneel. There was a plainclothes eucharistic minister (and female FWIW) up around the altar and then handling the chalice, which still baffles me every time I see it. The priest did it in a rote manner and almost as if he were bored - being older may have something do with it, IDK. I regret going to these sorts of Masses every time the sign of peace stuff comes around, with people walking across the church to hug/shake hands, wave at people, etc. Breaks any reverence that was left, IMO.

OTOH, I have seen a nice, reverent OF Mass done at a wedding to stand in contrast. I really enjoyed it, and it felt a bit more like what I always had expected Catholicism to be. I plan to visit an EF Mass at a classmate's FSSP church soon, which should be good.

FSSP? Oh, it should be good then. I do agree with you that older priest seem more bored- one of the most rote Masses I've seen was at the beautiful shrine of Blessed Father Seelos in New Orleans. Beautiful church, but the priest didn't seem to care much.

Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »

Yep. The liturgical reforms of the 60s and 70s should have merely translated the TLM into the venacular.

I agree.  They had a beautiful liturgy which organically derived from pre schism liturgies.   To me the only problem was that it was in a dead language.   I believe that, insofar as possible, the services should be celebrated in the vernacular.   This is why I also think that the Russian Orthodox should celebrate in modern Russian.   The RCC would have been further ahead if they just translated the mass and maintained the rubrics. 
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2013, 10:40:07 AM »

Why they just don't call them "old Mass" and "new Mass" I'll never know.

EF and OF are "technical" terms.  Most people "in the pews" probably refer to them as the "old Mass" and the "new Mass" or just "Mass."

The Vatican uses EF and OF because they want us to believe they are the same liturgical experience just in different forms. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »

I agree.  They had a beautiful liturgy which organically derived from pre schism liturgies.   To me the only problem was that it was in a dead language.   I believe that, insofar as possible, the services should be celebrated in the vernacular.   This is why I also think that the Russian Orthodox should celebrate in modern Russian.   The RCC would have been further ahead if they just translated the mass and maintained the rubrics. 

Translating church services into the language we use everyday has the obvious benefit of accessibility. No quarrel with that, and it is not new. May I suggest that in our very politicised times translating services may then fall under influences which are secular, stem from a world view alien to the mind of Church, and have the objective or purpose of falling into line with values of this world and not that of the Church.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »

The Vatican uses EF and OF because they want us to believe they are the same liturgical experience just in different forms

Wink

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »

Translating church services into the language we use everyday has the obvious benefit of accessibility. No quarrel with that, and it is not new. May I suggest that in our very politicised times translating services may then fall under influences which are secular, stem from a world view alien to the mind of Church, and have the objective or purpose of falling into line with values of this world and not that of the Church.

You've lost me.  How does translation into the vernacular by church approved translators become alien to the mind of the church?   It is far more preferable than someone believing that Church Slavonic or Latin is somehow a more holy tongue, or indeed the language that God speaks.  If someone is not Orthodox, requiring them to learn a foreign language to participate intelligently and consistently or even to relegate the language of prayer to a dead language seems contrary to the spirit of the Gospel.  
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »

Sorry, no intention of losing you.

Translation is never a neutral activity. Examples of secular mores in Bible translation might include so-called inclusive language. Elsewhere there have been calls previously to edit language which some representing the Jewish community. In each case the subject text was not simply to be translated from one language to another, but the text itself 'massaged' to fit in with norms of this age.

I merely express a view. And note that in looking at RC liturgical language change the new text differed in important ways from that that preceded it. So my caution is not without basis.
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »

Sorry, no intention of losing you.

Translation is never a neutral activity. Examples of secular mores in Bible translation might include so-called inclusive language. Elsewhere there have been calls previously to edit language which some representing the Jewish community. In each case the subject text was not simply to be translated from one language to another, but the text itself 'massaged' to fit in with norms of this age.

I merely express a view. And note that in looking at RC liturgical language change the new text differed in important ways from that that preceded it. So my caution is not without basis.

Ok.  We are in agreement then that it must be done with caution and faithfulness to the original.  Not a so called dynamic translation as it were. 
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »

The division of liturgical services into the "Ordinary Form" and the "Extraordinary Form" by the modern Roman Church reminds me of the approach adopted by Episcopal Church in America during the 1970s with its "Rite 1" and Rite 2." It all seems very artificial to me.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »

Maybe the same way that Orthodox saw a global shift in a return to traditional iconography in the last century, the Catholics might hope for some global shift to a more traditional liturgy.

I don't judge the situation anymore, it just utterly baffles me how a church could go from being so beautiful and reverent to so campy and inane, so very casual and profane. What the hell happened?
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »

Maybe the same way that Orthodox saw a global shift in a return to traditional iconography in the last century, the Catholics might hope for some global shift to a more traditional liturgy.

I don't judge the situation anymore, it just utterly baffles me how a church could go from being so beautiful and reverent to so campy and inane, so very casual and profane. What the hell happened?

Two words: Annibale Bugnini.

James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »

I knew a Roman Catholic priest back in the 80's who described himself as a pre-Vatican II liberal, but he was certainly orthodox (small "o").  He thought that the old rite was "cluttered" and that it was good to remove said "clutter", but that the reform had gone too far.  He still used the Reproaches in the Good Friday liturgy long after most other parishes dropped them for being anti-Semitic.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »

I knew a Roman Catholic priest back in the 80's who described himself as a pre-Vatican II liberal, but he was certainly orthodox (small "o").  He thought that the old rite was "cluttered" and that it was good to remove said "clutter", but that the reform had gone too far.  He still used the Reproaches in the Good Friday liturgy long after most other parishes dropped them for being anti-Semitic.

Cluttered it was.

The extensive readings for Mass and the Office were a great idea. Abandoning the one Psalter/week scheme and censuring what was deemed unpalatable for the politically correct - not so much.

If the Novus Ordo mass is celebrated reverently - using the Roman Canon, Gregorian chant and well-pronounced Latin - it can be better than the old rite. I've seen it done.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:59:31 PM by Romaios » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2013, 05:01:05 PM »

If the Novus Ordo mass is celebrated reverently - using the Roman Canon, Gregorian chant and well-pronounced Latin - it can be better than the old rite. I've seen it done.
I don't know about better, but the new rite can be celebrated very reverently.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »

Cluttered it was.

The extensive readings for Mass and the Office were a great idea. Abandoning of the one Psalter/week scheme and censuring what was deemed unpalatable for the politically correct - not so much.

So have I. Well-pronounced Latin being the key word here, and not the mumbled sort that can be mistaken for Spanish, French, or some kind of Elvish that the server can't even hear well enough to respond to.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »

What the hell happened?

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »

I'm with Papist.  If both the old rite and the new rite are celebrated according to these stipulations, they will both be reverent, but I'm not sure the new could be better than the old. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »

The bolded word is what happened, my friends. Either that, or someone's summoning our resident mod.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »

I'm with Papist.  If both the old rite and the new rite are celebrated according to these stipulations, they will both be reverent, but I'm not sure the new could be better than the old. 

Well, if they use for the General intercessions a proper Ektenia...

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »

This idea of reverently celebrated Novus Ordo mass is starting to sound like a mythical creature or winning in lottery. Some have heard about it here and there but nobody has never actually seen or attended one.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »

This idea of reverently celebrated Novus Ordo mass is starting to sound like a mythical creature or winning in lottery. Some have heard about it here and there but nobody has never actually seen or attended one.
I've seen it done. For Easter Vigil, Christmas Midnight Mass, and other such occassions, the pastor at my old Roman parish would celebrate ad orientem with sacred music.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »

I've seen it done. For Easter Vigil, Christmas Midnight Mass, and other such occassions, the pastor at my old Roman parish would celebrate ad orientem with sacred music.

The same at my grandmother's- I should know, I am part of the Christmas and Easter quintet. And yes, I mean quintet.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 05:32:04 PM »

This would be extraordinarily refreshing!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2013, 05:37:48 PM »

No lace cottas and rectangular chasubles is considerable improvement! 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:38:21 PM by Romaios » Logged
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2013, 05:38:46 PM »

No lace cottas and rectangular chasubles is such an improvement! 

Agreed. Though the polyester roll-collar ponchos are not...

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »

Wow.  By no means envisioned by the liturgical books, but still. 

What is the thinking process within the mind of the priest who sets out to celebrate Mass with such displays incorporated into the "celebration" but decides to wear an alb and stole?  Of all the things that could've been incorporated but weren't, why say yes to vestments at all?   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2013, 03:33:42 PM »

What is the thinking process within the mind of the priest who sets out to celebrate Mass with such displays incorporated into the "celebration" but decides to wear an alb and stole?  Of all the things that could've been incorporated but weren't, why say yes to vestments at all?   

"Wow" was not the first word in my mind .
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »

LOL.  The first word in my mind was actually a compound expletive rhyming with "other ducker", but I settled on "Wow".  Why? 

For the children.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »

What in the name of all that is holy did I just see?

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »

Dunno.  Can't see it.

There are times, apparently, when not being able to access youtube crap is quite a good thing.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »

Dunno.  Can't see it.

There are times, apparently, when not being able to access youtube crap is quite a good thing.

Circus Mass. Literal circus Mass. I'll leave it at that.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »

Dunno.  Can't see it.

Cry Cry Cry

Sorry, but I've got to ask--real priest in a real church?  Not some put-up job production??  I truly fear what your answers might be.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »

Dunno.  Can't see it.

Cry Cry Cry

Sorry, but I've got to ask--real priest in a real church?  Not some put-up job production??  I truly fear what your answers might be.

It was Mass for a children's hospital, I think (I don't speak German like the people in the video), but it looked fairly legitimate, if horribly wrong. I hope it's not a real Mass, because otherwise my hope for European Latins has been nearly extinguished.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »

Dunno.  Can't see it.

Cry Cry Cry

It was Mass for a children's hospital, I think (I don't speak German like the people in the video), but it looked fairly legitimate, if horribly wrong. I hope it's not a real Mass, because otherwise my hope for European Latins has been nearly extinguished.

Oy. Vey.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »

Dunno.  Can't see it.

Cry Cry Cry

Oy. Vey.

That's Yiddish, but the feeling is mutual.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »

European Latins

Thou shalt not generalize.

Here's another European RC mass:

http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2024860
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:29:49 PM by Alpo » Logged

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »

European Latins

Ad orientem and/or a crucifix on the altar and a visible tabernacle, or it doesn't count.  Grin

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »

Nope, sorry, I still think the guy is fat. 

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2013, 05:09:12 PM »

European Latins

Is that a Gradual being sung instead of the Responsorial Psalm?   Cheesy

Alpo, thanks for posting these videos.  I enjoyed the previous one as well. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »

European Latins

What are you referring to? I've been EO for too many years. I don't recognize Western terms anymore.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »

European Latins

Quite true. I think it depends on the country.

But no wonder the churches in parts of Germany are empty, a few oddities like that and people escape for the mountains...

When  you watch videos like Alpo posted you can envision those things which we share with the Romans, while the circus mass exentuates that which keeps us apart.

We Orthodox may have jurisdictional chaos, but we do not have liturgical or theological chaos. Seems there should be a happy medium out there somewhere to deal with both types of chaos, you'd think......
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:24:30 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »

The hymn after the first reading (from Habakkuk, if I heard correctly...I guess it's the same in Finnish and Malayalam).  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »

European Latins

What are you referring to? I've been EO for too many years. I don't recognize Western terms anymore.

It's the Prokeimenon for Latins.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »

Is it really, though?  It comes after the reading, not before. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2013, 05:30:21 PM »

Is it really, though?  It comes after the reading, not before. 

But it comes before the Epistle.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »

The hymn after the first reading (from Habakkuk, if I heard correctly...I guess it's the same in Finnish and Malayalam).  

One k too much. It's "Habakuk" in here.

And apparently you were correct about the hymn after OT reading being Gradual. Is that somehow wrong?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »

One k too much. It's "Habakuk" in here.

Habakkuk has three K's in the USA.  Tongue

And apparently you were correct about the hymn after OT reading being Gradual. Is that somehow wrong?

Not wrong at all, on the contrary it's ideal.  Would that it was done more. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »

This is only the case when the Mass has three readings.  When the Mass has two readings (Epistle and Gospel), which is always in the EF and on all feasts, memorials, and ferias in the OF, the Gradual occupies its traditional place: after the first reading. 

I don't think Gradual = Prokeimenon, strictly speaking, but it might be a convenient answer if accuracy isn't the most important thing. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »

This is only the case when the Mass has three readings.  When the Mass has two readings (Epistle and Gospel), which is always in the EF and on all feasts, memorials, and ferias in the OF, the Gradual occupies its traditional place: after the first reading. 

I don't think Gradual = Prokeimenon, strictly speaking, but it might be a convenient answer if accuracy isn't the most important thing. 

Oh. Thanks. You're right, since the Prokeimenon comes before the OT reading at Vespers. Speaking of which, are there ever any OT readings for ordinary SAP Vespers? Not related, but curious.

James2
Mr.
High Elder

« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2013, 06:44:36 PM »

LOL.  The first word in my mind was actually a compound expletive rhyming with "other ducker", but I settled on "Wow".  Why? 

For the children.   

I couldn't stand watching the whole thing, so I skipped around.  One part looked like a dinner theater.  Unbelievable.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »

Until about the fifth century, it included singing a whole psalm. They were sung in the form of a psalmus responsorius, i.e. the whole text was chanted by a reader appointed for this purpose. For some time before Pope Gregory I, to sing these psalms was a privilege of deacons at Rome, a privilege he suppressed in 595. The people answered each clause or verse with an acclamation. This apparently dates back to the synagogue tradition, and can even be seen in the structure of some Psalms (such as 136|135). Originally, there was a psalm sung between each reading, of which in the fifth century there were three (Prophets, Epistle, and Gospel). When the Old Testament reading was later dropped, the other two psalms became the Gradual and Alleluia, ordinarily sung one after another, until the 1970 Missal restored the three readings on Sundays and Solemnities.

The fact that the chanters go to the centre of the church/ambo to sing it could serve to compare it to the katabasiai, but those are not Psalms and are sung at Matins.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:47:38 PM by Romaios » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »

Oh. Thanks. You're right, since the Prokeimenon comes before the OT reading at Vespers. Speaking of which, are there ever any OT readings for ordinary SAP Vespers? Not related, but curious.

Actually, I shouldn't have said the EF Mass always has two readings, there are certain occasions (e.g., Ember days) when there are more.  But never does a Gradual introduce a reading, it is always a response to the reading. 

What is SAP Vespers?  Vespers dubbed in Spanish? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

James2
Mr.
High Elder

« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »

The same at my grandmother's- I should know, I am part of the Christmas and Easter quintet. And yes, I mean quintet.

I've seen it done well at St. Catherine of Siena in Great Falls, VA, and the Brompton Oratory in London.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2013, 06:49:56 PM »

Actually, I shouldn't have said the EF Mass always has two readings, there are certain occasions (e.g., Ember days) when there are more.  But never does a Gradual introduce a reading, it is always a response to the reading. 

What is SAP Vespers?  Vespers dubbed in Spanish? 

Sundays after Pentecost.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »

Speaking of which, are there ever any OT readings for ordinary SAP Vespers? Not related, but curious.

No - only for Feasts of Our Lord, the Theotokos and the more important Saints.

They occur primarily during Lent, because they originally served for the instruction of catechumens.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

Speaking of which, are there ever any OT readings for ordinary SAP Vespers? Not related, but curious.

No - only for Feasts of Our Lord, the Theotokos and the more important Saints.

They occur primarily during Lent, because they originally served for the instruction of catechumens.

Oh. That explains the number of readings in my abbreviated Triodion. Thanks.

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »

FWIW I just spent a week on retreat at St. Andrew's Abbey, a Benedictine monastery in Valyermo, CA (http://www.saintandrewsabbey.com/). Attended Mass every day in the "ordinary" form and it was quite simple and reverent.

Of course they also do the canonical Hours.

No clowns or circus animals in sight (just two big German shepherds and lots of ducks).

Not to mention having FANTASTIC food at every meal!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:42:11 PM by theistgal » Logged

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2013, 04:47:07 PM »

FWIW I just spent a week on retreat at St. Andrew's Abbey, a Benedictine monastery in Valyermo, CA (http://www.saintandrewsabbey.com/). Attended Mass every day in the "ordinary" form and it was quite simple and reverent.

Of course they also do the canonical Hours.

No clowns or circus animals in sight (just two big German shepherds and lots of ducks).

Not to mention having FANTASTIC food at every meal!  Grin

And I just spent the weekend on retreat at St. Joseph's Abbey and Seminary, a Benedictine monastery in St. Bens, Louisiana. Attended OF Mass, Lauds, vespers and Compline each day, and it was done reverently as well. And all the seminarians and my fellow possible seminarians I met on retreat? Traditional and orthodox in doctrine, and in favour of Ad orientem and knowledgeable of both the Byzantine and Latin Rite.

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »

Yes - I think if you are disillusioned with how the Mass is done at your parish church, do some research and find a monastery. Chances are pretty good it will be pretty good.  Cool

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »

We Orthodox may have jurisdictional chaos, but we do not have liturgical or theological chaos.

Is the Ethiopian Orthodox Church an Orthodox Church? Their worship service does not seem to be all that traditional at least when you compare it to a typical Greek Orthodox service.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6EigDGD8J4
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »

Is the Ethiopian Orthodox Church an Orthodox Church? Their worship service does not seem to be all that traditional at least when you compare it to a typical Greek Orthodox service.

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is an Oriental Orthodox Church; the Greek Orthodox Church is an Eastern Orthodox Church.  They do not use the same rite for their liturgical services. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is an Oriental Orthodox Church; the Greek Orthodox Church is an Eastern Orthodox Church.  They do not use the same rite for their liturgical services. 

This, and I'd say yes - the Ethiopian Church is an Orthodox Church. Cool

BTW, do Ethiopians call their service Divine Liturgy or something else?
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2013, 02:43:58 AM »

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is an Oriental Orthodox Church; the Greek Orthodox Church is an Eastern Orthodox Church.  They do not use the same rite for their liturgical services.  
The discussion on this thread touched on a controversial Roman Catholic liturgy designed for circus people and the descriptive word chaotic was used. However, the Ethiopian Orthodox worship service seems to me to have quite lively elements. How do people here feel about the Ethiopian Orthodox rite of worship? Does anyone object to the ebullience and exhuberance which are shown in the Ethiopian worship services, or are your objections reserved only for the Latins and their Masses?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:44:34 AM by stanley123 » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »

The discussion on this thread touched on a controversial Roman Catholic liturgy designed for circus people and the descriptive word chaotic was used. However, the Ethiopian Orthodox worship service seems to me to have quite lively elements. How do people here feel about the Ethiopian Orthodox rite of worship? Does anyone object to the ebullience and exhuberance which are shown in the Ethiopian worship services, or are your objections reserved only for the Latins and their Masses?

Does anyone think this is a fair comparison?

On the one hand, the "lively elements" in the Ethiopian liturgy have been practiced for centuries and stem from their own culture, influenced in particular by Judaism as well as Christianity.  It may be "lively" compared to a more "sedate" tradition like Greek or Latin liturgy, but it is still traditional and of venerable pedigree. 

Regarding the Roman Catholic liturgy you referred to, can you or any Roman Catholic demonstrate that the liturgy was served according to the norms of currently issued liturgical books, and that the ebullient, exuberant rites and customs incorporated therein are traditional to the Roman rite? 

If not, you are comparing apples and koalas.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, the more "lively" parts of EOTC worship are concentrated during their version of the Hours. I don't think they use liturgical instruments and such during the Liturgy itself.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »

Does anyone think this is a fair comparison?

On the one hand, the "lively elements" in the Ethiopian liturgy have been practiced for centuries and stem from their own culture, influenced in particular by Judaism as well as Christianity.  It may be "lively" compared to a more "sedate" tradition like Greek or Latin liturgy, but it is still traditional and of venerable pedigree.  

Regarding the Roman Catholic liturgy you referred to, can you or any Roman Catholic demonstrate that the liturgy was served according to the norms of currently issued liturgical books, and that the ebullient, exuberant rites and customs incorporated therein are traditional to the Roman rite?  

If not, you are comparing apples and koalas.    

How about this:

Longstanding variations on a theme:

Dolmades and holubki: traditional stuffed leaves

Ravioli, pirohi and  pot stickers: traditional stuffed pastas

Beer, vodka, ouzo, slivovitz, saki: traditional alcoholic beverages

Ethiopian liturgical exuberance: traditional East African worship

Clown Masses: ??

Jalapeno pierogi: ??  http://www.pierogies.com/retail/products/product.aspx?product=024
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:41:08 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »

I never understood why they didn't just do that at least then they would be in continuity with the liturgical tradition of the church.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »

What an atrocity.  Is there nothing that can escape being Mexified?  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2013, 02:20:27 PM »

What an atrocity.  Is there nothing that can escape being Mexified?  

No.

Regnare
Elder

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »

According to Rev. Dr. Mebratu Kiros Gebru, who gave a talk (transcript here http://www.transcriptsearch.com.es/id/wU3RQieF55Q) for the University of Toronto Dept. of Orthodox Studies, the more energetic dancing and drumming is reserved for an additional type of prayer service, separate from both the Divine Liturgy and from the Hours. All music during the actual liturgy, although I believe drums are still used, is thoroughly solemn.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »

Not even actual Spanish food.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:31 PM »

All music during the actual liturgy, although I believe drums are still used, is thoroughly solemn.
I would say that some of the worship services of the Orthodox are quite lively.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fseftB6LFHY
Why condemn Latins for dancing and singing at their worship services, but when the Orthodox have it, it is just fine?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:18:00 PM by stanley123 » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2013, 11:47:17 PM »

Why condemn Latins for dancing and singing at their worship services, but when the Orthodox have it, it is just fine?

Because the Latins condemn it.

For more information:

His Eminence Antonio Card. Cañizares Llovera
Prefect, Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
Palazzo delle Congregazioni, Piazza Pio XII, 10, 00193 Roma, Italia
Telephone: 06.69.88.40.05; 06.69.88.44.16
Fax: 06.69.88.34.99

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2013, 11:49:33 PM »

For more information:

Finally, someone with sense.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2013, 11:55:24 PM »

For more information:

So do you say that it is right to condemn Latins dancing to the beat of drums, swaying to and fro to the rhythms while in Church and on the other hand, it is OK when the Orthodox do it. For example, see 20:00 - 26:00 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOu7W-SvSQ
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:56:12 PM by stanley123 » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2013, 12:00:11 AM »

No, Stanley, we're not going to play this game.  If you have a problem with Orthodox Christians criticising Latin liturgical abuses that Rome also joins them in condemning, that's on you.  Feel free to be more Catholic than the Pope, we're content to simply be Catholic.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:01:28 AM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2013, 12:01:20 AM »

No, Stanley, we're not going to play this game.  If you have a problem with Orthodox Christians criticising Latin liturgical abuses that Rome also joins them in condemning, that's on you.  Fee free to be more Catholic than the Pope, we're content to simply be Catholic. 

I thought you were Orthodox?  Huh

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2013, 12:02:34 AM »

No, Stanley, we're not going to play this game.  If you have a problem with Orthodox Christians criticising Latin liturgical abuses that Rome also joins them in condemning, that's on you.  Fee free to be more Catholic than the Pope, we're content to simply be Catholic. 

Yes, I am.  Orthodox Catholic. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2013, 12:05:09 AM »

None of the Christian rites includes dancing proper. What people call dancing in the Ethiopian rite or the Zairean form of the Roman liturgy is in fact a rhythmically ordered procession, very much in keeping with the dignity of the occasion. It provides an inner discipline and order for the various stages of the liturgy, bestowing on them beauty and, above all, making them worthy of God.

Card. Joseph Ratzinger (Benedict XVI), The Spirit of the Liturgy

If you compare the Ethiopian "dances" with sundry RC sacred ballet gaiety, it's more than evident what Pope Benedict meant.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:06:02 AM by Romaios » Logged
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2013, 12:05:26 AM »

Don't confuse me, man! You say Orthodox Catholic, I think ByzCath. Okay, let's clarify- are you under an autonomous Patriarchate that is not under Rome, or are you under Rome?

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2013, 12:09:54 AM »

Okay, let's clarify- are you under an autonomous Patriarchate that is not under Rome, or are you under Rome?

Above it! (Hebrews 13:14)  Tongue

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:22:42 AM by Romaios » Logged
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »

Mrs. T's makes many types of pierogies.

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2013, 12:31:37 AM »

Don't confuse me, man! You say Orthodox Catholic, I think ByzCath. Okay, let's clarify- are you under an autonomous Patriarchate that is not under Rome, or are you under Rome?

[tongueincheek]Let's put it this way. All Orthodox posters on OC.net are Catholic, as it says in our Creed. 'Round these parts all persons under Rome may be called Roman Catholic by the more charitable of us Orthodox, and if we're feeling especially charitable we might even be will willing to consider to allow certain persons to call themselves "Byzantine Catholic" despite the fact that they're actually Roman Catholic, due to the whole "under the pope" thing. The less charitable will call all under the pope "Latins" regardless of what rite your particular pope-appointed patriarch happens to celebrate. [/tongueincheek]

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Regnare
Elder

« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »

All music during the actual liturgy, although I believe drums are still used, is thoroughly solemn.
I would say that some of the worship services of the Orthodox are quite lively.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fseftB6LFHY

As I pointed out in the exact post you quote, these Orthodox are singing and dancing at an entirely different worship service created for the purpose. If we Latins want to create a separate service for singing and dancing (which in this day and age would basically amount to attending a Christian rock concert), that is just fine. Not during the Mass. Not during the Hours. The Jews in the Temple of Jerusalem didn't do it in their services. We don't do it. The Ethiopians don't do it either.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2013, 12:39:17 AM »

[tongueincheek]Let's put it this way. All Orthodox posters on OC.net are Catholic, as it says in our Creed. 'Round these parts all persons under Rome may be called Roman Catholic by the more charitable of us Orthodox, and if we're feeling especially charitable we might even be will willing to consider to allow certain persons to call themselves "Byzantine Catholic" despite the fact that they're actually Roman Catholic, due to the whole "under the pope" thing. The less charitable will call all under the pope "Latins" regardless of what rite your particular pope-appointed patriarch happens to celebrate. [/tongueincheek]

How utterly charitable of you. I can feel the sharp sting of Christian love flowing eloquently from Eastern Orthodoxy.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2013, 12:47:38 AM »

No, I'm not under Rome.  The Orthodox Church never ceased to be the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.  We are just as Catholic as we are Orthodox. 

Catholic =/= Under Rome 
Orthodox =/= Uses an Eastern Rite

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2013, 02:05:20 AM »

No, I'm not under Rome.  The Orthodox Church never ceased to be the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.  We are just as Catholic as we are Orthodox. 

Catholic =/= Under Rome 
Orthodox =/= Uses an Eastern Rite

So you are Catholic in disunion with Rome.  Cool

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2013, 02:11:09 AM »

Or Rome is in disunion with Catholicism.  I can do this all night!  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2013, 02:22:34 AM »

No, Stanley, we're not going to play this game.  If you have a problem with Orthodox Christians criticising Latin liturgical abuses that Rome also joins them in condemning, that's on you.  Fee free to be more Catholic than the Pope, we're content to simply be Catholic.  

I thought you were Orthodox?  Huh

Yes, I am.  Orthodox Catholic.  

How utterly charitable of you. I can feel the sharp sting of Christian love flowing eloquently from Eastern Orthodoxy.

GooOOOood. Feel the sting. Embrace the sting! The sting is as that of alcohol entering a wound, cleansing any possible infections. Infections such as a need to define Christian unity as submission to a man who wears a funny hat. In true Orthodox spirit, we do not wear funny hats. Our hats are, quite simply, magnificent!

In all seriousness, as Orthodox Christians we do (as Mor says in the post above mine) lay claim to the Catholic Church. It is not that bizarre to find older Orthodox Churches in America to have either "Greek Catholic" or "Russian Catholic" in their names or articles of incorporation somewhere.  It is only due to the fact that here in the States and Western Europe the Roman Catholic Church and its "Byzantine" adherents have effectively branded the term "Catholic" that the Eastern Christian (Eastern and Oriental [how's that for redundancy]) are more often known as "Orthodox". Again, this is in all seriousness, not a jab against Byzantine Catholics. When "Byzantine Catholic" can mean either "Greek Orthodox Catholic" or "Person under the pope who happens to celebrate the Rite of St John Chrysostom every week" and the current societal weight already leans heavily in favor of the latter, "Orthodox" becomes a simple descriptive for the former.

It is similar to the way Anglo-Catholics can lay claim to the term "Catholic" because they still practice their Anglicanism in a similar manner as that of the "undivided" Church (placed in quotes because I believe that both we Orthodox and those under the Pope can agree the Church can't be divided). The same Anglo-Catholics, if they still define their faith in Trinitarian terms and subscribe wholeheartedly to the Creed (and even with certain f-words that allow this forum to stay safe for work), have absolutely no qualms about referring to themselves as "Orthodox". Further, even Low Church Anglicans, Baptists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, et al, who have resisted the sirens' call of modernist syncretism might call themselves "Orthodox Christians".

Consider: Famous Roman Catholic author G.K. Chesterton wrote "Orthodoxy" while still an Anglican!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:23:40 AM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2013, 02:56:29 AM »

Or Rome is in disunion with Catholicism.  I can do this all night!  Tongue

I might wind up stealing that line.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:56:45 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2013, 03:55:27 AM »

Do it!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2013, 04:38:32 AM »

No, Stanley, we're not going to play this game.
I can understand your loyalty to your church and its various methods of worship, including the rhythmically ordered dancing to the beating of drums in church.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »

I can understand your loyalty to your church and its various methods of worship, including the rhythmically ordered dancing to the beating of drums in church.

So far this discussion has been about dancing in the context of the Liturgy. As Regnare and I have already explained to you three separate times, the Ethiopian church does not do this during the Qedasse. They do it in an entirely separate worship service.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:39:22 AM by sheenj » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »

No.

Ethiopians have their venerable rites and long standing practices. EO and other OO communities who do not share the Ethiopian tradition and rites respect them but they do not mimic or incorporate them.

In many North American Eastern Orthodox parishes, families of Ethiopian immigrants attend Eastern Orthodox parishes in areas where there are no Ethiopian churches. Even in the "rust belt", a cursory review of parish life and youth programming online bears witness to increasing racial diversity - unseen a generation ago. Many of those faces are east African refugees.

But it is unfathomable for an Orthodox believer to envision a Greek or OCA parish (or any EO parish) incorporating aspects of Ethiopian worship practices (dance and drums) or rubrics into an EO Liturgy in a misguided effort to "accommodate and be welcoming" to other cultures. (A caveat, Orthodoxy has never been burdened with "one way" as Rome was at the mid point of the last century in terms of language and even musical tradition. So, liturgy in Geez with traditional east African chant would be possible and not be viewed as " innovation." I think it can be argued that in breaking the chains of centuries of linguistic and ritual uniformity, chaotic experimentation with divergent forms grew up post Vatican 2 - the law of unintended consequences. Once you let the Genie out of the bottle, good luck putting it back inside.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:21:02 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Regnare
Elder

« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »

But it is unfathomable for an Orthodox believer to envision a Greek or OCA parish (or any EO parish) incorporating aspects of Ethiopian worship practices (dance and drums) or rubrics into an EO Liturgy in a misguided effort to "accommodate and be welcoming" to other cultures.
It has, however, happened, as shown in this video of Pascha in Ghana. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGqUn5KQ9kE

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »

But it is unfathomable for an Orthodox believer to envision a Greek or OCA parish (or any EO parish) incorporating aspects of Ethiopian worship practices (dance and drums) or rubrics into an EO Liturgy in a misguided effort to "accommodate and be welcoming" to other cultures.
It has, however, happened, as shown in this video of Pascha in Ghana. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGqUn5KQ9kE

In Ghana.  You know, Africa.

I believe podkarpatska was referring to Greek and OCA churches in America that have a number of EOTC members in their congregation.

But, please, do keep trying to make the exception the rule because you'll keep finding cool things like this.

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »

Consider: Famous Roman Catholic author G.K. Chesterton wrote "Orthodoxy" while still an Anglican!

Very true. And even though it has nothing at all to do with Eastern Orthodoxy, Amazon still categorizes it there!  Grin

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »

It seems that "lack of charity" goes with the habit of looking the obvious right in the face.  And the inability to sing Kumbaya loud enough to drown out the cognitive dissonance.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »

I'm glad you can understand my loyalty to my Church because she has a proud history.  She continues, in Ethiopia, traditions of glorifying God in dance and song that are rooted in indigenous cultural influences and an inheritance from Judaism.  In other geographic regions, this same Church celebrates in different ways, but all traditional, of ancient pedigree, and fully conforming with the faith and with the dignity proper to common worship. 

And I commend you for your loyalty to your Church.  I find it incomprehensible, but admirable and literally marvelous, that you can staunchly defend a Church which talks out of both sides of her mouth, whose leaders confirm on paper traditional liturgical practices of their own Roman rite and then go on quite often to do and allow anything but traditional liturgy in the churches.  They do this with corporate worship, with the preaching and teaching of the faith, revisionist versions of history, political activism, etc.  It takes a special man to build his house upon a rock with all the solidity of jello. 

Now let's stop.  OK?     

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »

No, Stanley, we're not going to play this game.  If you have a problem with Orthodox Christians criticising Latin liturgical abuses that Rome also joins them in condemning, that's on you.  Fee free to be more Catholic than the Pope, we're content to simply be Catholic.  

I thought you were Orthodox?  Huh

Yes, I am.  Orthodox Catholic.  

GooOOOood. Feel the sting. Embrace the sting! The sting is as that of alcohol entering a wound, cleansing any possible infections. Infections such as a need to define Christian unity as submission to a man who wears a funny hat. In true Orthodox spirit, we do not wear funny hats. Our hats are, quite simply, magnificent!

In all seriousness, as Orthodox Christians we do (as Mor says in the post above mine) lay claim to the Catholic Church. It is not that bizarre to find older Orthodox Churches in America to have either "Greek Catholic" or "Russian Catholic" in their names or articles of incorporation somewhere.  It is only due to the fact that here in the States and Western Europe the Roman Catholic Church and its "Byzantine" adherents have effectively branded the term "Catholic" that the Eastern Christian (Eastern and Oriental [how's that for redundancy]) are more often known as "Orthodox". Again, this is in all seriousness, not a jab against Byzantine Catholics. When "Byzantine Catholic" can mean either "Greek Orthodox Catholic" or "Person under the pope who happens to celebrate the Rite of St John Chrysostom every week" and the current societal weight already leans heavily in favor of the latter, "Orthodox" becomes a simple descriptive for the former.

It is similar to the way Anglo-Catholics can lay claim to the term "Catholic" because they still practice their Anglicanism in a similar manner as that of the "undivided" Church (placed in quotes because I believe that both we Orthodox and those under the Pope can agree the Church can't be divided). The same Anglo-Catholics, if they still define their faith in Trinitarian terms and subscribe wholeheartedly to the Creed (and even with certain f-words that allow this forum to stay safe for work), have absolutely no qualms about referring to themselves as "Orthodox". Further, even Low Church Anglicans, Baptists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, et al, who have resisted the sirens' call of modernist syncretism might call themselves "Orthodox Christians".

By that definition, it reminds me of Protestants when they ask the question "Catholic or Christian?"  Grin

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2013, 12:09:29 AM »

I'm glad you can understand my loyalty to my Church because she has a proud history.  She continues, in Ethiopia, traditions of glorifying God in dance and song that are rooted in indigenous cultural influences and an inheritance from Judaism.  In other geographic regions, this same Church celebrates in different ways, but all traditional, of ancient pedigree, and fully conforming with the faith and with the dignity proper to common worship. 

And I commend you for your loyalty to your Church.  I find it incomprehensible, but admirable and literally marvelous, that you can staunchly defend a Church which talks out of both sides of her mouth, whose leaders confirm on paper traditional liturgical practices of their own Roman rite and then go on quite often to do and allow anything but traditional liturgy in the churches.  They do this with corporate worship, with the preaching and teaching of the faith, revisionist versions of history, political activism, etc.  It takes a special man to build his house upon a rock with all the solidity of jello. 

Now let's stop.  OK?     
So I should stand by  let you slander the Roman Catholic Church with your lies? It is not true that Roman Catholics do and allow anything in church. 
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2013, 12:14:31 AM »

In Ghana.  You know, Africa.

I believe podkarpatska was referring to Greek and OCA churches in America that have a number of EOTC members in their congregation.'
But, please, do keep trying to make the exception the rule because you'll keep finding cool things like this.
I believe that the  Catholic Mass that some Orthodox are objecting to, was designed for circus people and was keeping with the traditional circus culture. If you Orthodox are going to admit inculturation into your rites, then I don't see why you should object when Roman Catholics do the same.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »

So far this discussion has been about dancing in the context of the Liturgy. As Regnare and I have already explained to you three separate times, the Ethiopian church does not do this during the Qedasse. They do it in an entirely separate worship service.
Was this an entirely separate worship service and not part of the liturgy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGqUn5KQ9kE
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:11 AM »

I just see them going up to receive antidoron, and the priest himself is directing the choir. So I assume this is actually taking place after the Liturgy?
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2013, 02:30:06 AM »

Now let's stop.  OK?     
So I should stand by  let you slander the Roman Catholic Church with your lies? It is not true that Roman Catholics do and allow anything in church. 

Stanley, I have recently attended an RC confirmation mass of a member of my extended family, with the local bishop presiding, where, among other travesties, the newly-confirmed children were ushered behind the altar table, where they remained, smiling and jostling, for several minutes, and with some even touching the altar table and some of the objects on it.

I dare you to accuse me of slander or lying.  Angry
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »

Now let's stop.  OK?     

Stanley, I have recently attended an RC confirmation mass of a member of my extended family, with the local bishop presiding, where, among other travesties, the newly-confirmed children were ushered behind the altar table, where they remained, smiling and jostling, for several minutes, and with some even touching the altar table and some of the objects on it.

I dare you to accuse me of slander or lying.  Angry

Speaking as a Catholic, I can attest that I have seen priest's so utterly disinterested in what they were doing, and cantors so annoyingly showy and attention-whoring (in the same Mass) that I just wanted to walk out. This was at the National Shrine of Fr. Seelos. A National Shrine. It's not slander, I'm just warning you that allowed or not, it happens.

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2013, 09:17:35 AM »

Huh That video isn't even of an OO church, much less an Ethiopian one.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #177 on: November 14, 2013, 09:18:44 AM »

In Ghana.  You know, Africa.

I believe podkarpatska was referring to Greek and OCA churches in America that have a number of EOTC members in their congregation.'
I believe that the  Catholic Mass that some Orthodox are objecting to, was designed for circus people and was keeping with the traditional circus culture. If you Orthodox are going to admit inculturation into your rites, then I don't see why you should object when Roman Catholics do the same.

You keep clutching those pearls, buddy.  

I don't object so much to the dancing as to the fact that the insertion of the various add-ons don't make a damn bit of sense even in context.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:19:23 AM by Schultz » Logged

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #178 on: November 14, 2013, 10:44:34 AM »

There's a difference between what's *supposed*  to happen and what *actually* happens in any given RC Mass. And 99.9% of the time the difference is:  the priest.  If he's really trying to follow the teachings of the Church you'll see a properly celebrated Mass. Otherwise you can assume he dissents on one or more doctrines. "Lex orandi lex credendi" really does seem to be true.  Cool

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #179 on: November 14, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »

I'm not slandering the Roman Catholic Church.  If anything, the Roman Catholic Church is slandering the Roman Catholic Church.  

Look, Stanley, you're the one jumping into this thread to accuse the Orthodox of denigrating RC's for doing things Orthodox do, but you make a poor case for it.  First of all, not all Orthodox do it, but only certain communities.  Second, in those places, it's either ancient (Ethiopia) or a recent attempt at inculturation (Ghana) that fits the culture.  Rome does that in Africa as well, and I don't think anyone has criticised that here.  

But you are suggesting that the existence of these forms of "liturgical dance" in Africa is the same as a couple of German priests running a fundraiser in Germany for a hospital in Bethlehem by hosting a Mass (again, in Germany) where the priests aren't fully vested, one plays a clarinet, there are belly dancing women gyrating about with snakes wrapped around their hips, and Communion is passed around to participants seated at their tables in the manner of waiters serving the salad course at a banquet.  Show me where any of these things are allowed in the rubrics of the Roman Missal, or where the Vatican has approved of these adaptations for the dioceses of Germany.  Prove to me that snake-adorned belly dancers and "Communion as hors d'oeuvres" are important, centuries old elements of German culture that can enhance the celebration of the divine mysteries.  

Of course, this can be extended to any number of liturgically questionable practices.  Rome doesn't allow them in the sense of actively permitting them: they can always point to a book or a document and say "No".  But if they have to draft a rubric or write an instruction against a practice, it's only because it's being done enough that they need to address it (that is, until a few decades of disobedience have passed, and then they finally allow it into the rubrics).  Rome knows what's going on.  The Pope meets with every bishop in the world once every five years, has papal ambassadors in every place where there are Catholics, has internet access, receives mail, uses the telephone, etc.  They know what's going on.  They know that from bishops on down, a lot of crazy stuff is going on, and they can't issue any document that will effectively put a stop to it because they won't listen (heck, the current Pope is known to have done such things before and after his ascent to the see of Rome).  But Rome clearly believes herself to have the power to do something about it, because they can restrict the activities of groups using the traditional Roman liturgy with lightning speed...the difference is that those groups are already predisposed to obedience.  The only thing Rome can do is keep trying to advocate for higher standards across the board while appointing better bishops and hopefully things will become more sane.  

If you were willing to admit that there are problems being addressed and progress is being made, but it's slow going and requires time, I think you'd find that the Orthodox are your allies, despite the differences in faith.  There are a number of Orthodox posters who have posted positive experiences with RC liturgy and posted videos or other material of beautiful services.  In real life, Pope Benedict's Summorum Pontificum was welcomed as a great step forward by none other than the Patriarch of Moscow even while his own RC bishops were busy trying to interfere with its application.  There are Orthodox who are very happy to support Roman Catholics in such things.  It's the Roman Catholics who don't know what to do with it.  Because for every Benedict XVI who will point to the Orthodox as an example of good liturgy and good liturgical theology, there is a Pope willing to violate rubrics and allow random stuff in his own Masses.  There are people who will appeal to "Ethiopian liturgical dance" in order to justify scantily clad women dancing around altars with bowls of incense in Los Angeles, but they won't appeal to "Ethiopian fasting" to increase the pre-Communion fast from its current "one hour before Communion, or they won't be interested in "Ethiopian ad orientem liturgy", or "Ethiopian five hour liturgy", or "Ethiopian orthodox teaching".  No, none of those "Ethiopian things" are worth emulating, they just want enough "Ethiopian" influence to turn the 11am Mass at St Anyone's into happy hour at Hooters.

Again, let's stop, shall we?  I don't want to have to start posting photos and videos to illustrate my point of view.  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »

Mor Ephrem break out the pics and vids. Let's spice this thread up.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2013, 10:56:55 PM »

LOL.  I don't want to, but if Stanley or some other RC jumps in to continue where he left off, I'm going to go all Isa on this.  No maps, just liturgical puppets. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »

No maps? That is a let down. Liturgical puppets makes up for that.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2013, 12:16:01 AM »

Maybe a "Schlock Liturgies" thread would be a good idea...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:16:12 AM by Nephi » Logged
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2013, 12:21:23 AM »

You volunteering? if not... To LBK!

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2013, 01:51:53 AM »

Na I am the moderator of this particular forum. It would still be on topic.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2013, 02:14:32 AM »

.... shouldn't that be "Schlock Masses"?  Wink
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2013, 02:15:42 AM »

You volunteering? if not... To LBK!

Woo-hoo! But I'm afraid my forte is stills, not movies.  Wink laugh
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2013, 02:40:43 AM »

LBK feel free to unleash some pics of schlock masses.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2013, 02:58:06 AM »

LBK feel free to unleash some pics of schlock masses.

May I clarify: Stills as in "icons" and other "religious" art. Others will have to provide stuff on schlock masses.

I do have stills and audio from a couple of masses for confirmations and first communions I've attended which were ghastly in their pandering to modernity (canned "hymns" which make nursery rhymes sound like high literature, and bouncing ball projector screens, anyone?) and with a distinct lack of gravitas and reverence, but the schlockiness was more of the bland, insipid variety, not the howling outrages of clown and puppet masses.
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2013, 03:19:46 AM »

Projector screens? Can't people follow a hymnal these days.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2013, 03:26:08 AM »

Essential for karaoke masses...  laugh
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2013, 03:30:06 AM »

With "hymns" like those at these services, who'd want to follow them?  Tongue

I truly, deeply feel sorry for the older folks whose liturgical tradition has become so butchered and anodyne.
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2013, 05:45:50 PM »

It is a shame the RCC just didnt keep the 1962 roman missal and use the vernacular and do the dialogue version.

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »

It is a shame the RCC just didnt keep the 1962 roman missal and use the vernacular and do the dialogue version.

I've asked myself this question for quite a while, but in all honesty I'm glad they didn't for if they had chances are I never would have found Orthodoxy. Smiley

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:17 PM »

I like the Novus Ordo when done right- due to its slight ambiguity, an Eastern-leaning priest might be able to make it more Eastern- for example, using a form of the Litany of Peace for the Prayers of the Faithful, with the deacon possibly taking the same position outside the altar rail or rood as the deacon in the DL for the petitions- assuming an Ad Orientem Mass of course. Also, giving the procession of the gifts a manner more similar to the Great Entrance of the DL St. John Chrystom.

James2
Mr.
High Elder

« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2013, 11:52:30 PM »

In the late 70's I came across a book of experimental RC liturgies in a library.  I remember one of the minor propers for a Marian feast going something like this:  "We honor Mary, because her Son turned out so well."  A bit of an understatement.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2013, 11:55:59 PM »

In the late 70's I came across a book of experimental RC liturgies in a library.  I remember one of the minor propers for a Marian feast going something like this:  "We honor Mary, because her Son turned out so well."  A bit of an understatement.

Unless it's an experimental liturgy combination of the Tridentine Mass, SJC Divine Liturgy and Sarum Use Mass, I don't want to hear about it. Oh Lord, what I would give to get at least a chancel BEAM across the sanctuary above the altar rail, much less a whole rood screen.

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2013, 11:57:45 PM »

Unless it's an experimental liturgy combination of the Tridentine Mass, SJC Divine Liturgy and Sarum Use Mass, I don't want to hear about it. Oh Lord, what I would give to get at least a chancel BEAM across the sanctuary above the altar rail, much less a whole rood screen.
what I would give to see an altar rail again Tongue

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #199 on: November 17, 2013, 12:12:05 AM »

Your liturgical standards must be lower than mine.  Tongue Oh, I can envision it now- altar rail across the sanctuary, with three gates- one center, two on the side- each one with a raised arch. The central gate having statues of Christ and Mary, Right and Left, on either sider- or a Divine Mercy and Perpetual Help/Lady of Guadalupe icon. The altar draped in a full-length frontal before the tabernacle's shelf on an old high altar, bearing two candles and a crucifix. Above the altar rail runs a long beam, supported by posts flanking each of the three arches, with a large rood cross above the main gate. Behind the tavernacle's shelf is a magnificent rereredos, completely of wood and adorned with icons of all the 12 major feasts, with the icons of the angels and saints all along the walls of the sanctuary, except above the rereredos where light streams in through a tained glass window of Christ Pantokrator. Along the nave are icons and statues of the saints, the parish's patron saint and Our Lady having a shrine of their own against the wall, or even in a side chapel. Instead of pews all the way to the altar rail step, they stop some 15 feet beforehand, leaving room for choir stalls facing vertically across the nave, and providing a place for the choir and clergy that is not hidden in a loft or in the sanctuary itself. A wonderful, surpliced choir that chants Gregorian chant and Anglican Chant and traditional hymns and Te Deums and Solemn Vespers and Solemn Lauds every Sunday! And clergy, not in polyester abominations of liturgical fashion, but semigothic vestments of dignity and class, including maniples and amices! Oh, the dreams of a Traditionalist!!!!!!!!!!

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2013, 12:26:08 AM »

I like the Novus Ordo when done right- due to its slight ambiguity, an Eastern-leaning priest might be able to make it more Eastern- for example, using a form of the Litany of Peace for the Prayers of the Faithful, with the deacon possibly taking the same position outside the altar rail or rood as the deacon in the DL for the petitions- assuming an Ad Orientem Mass of course. Also, giving the procession of the gifts a manner more similar to the Great Entrance of the DL St. John Chrystom.

LOL.  I wouldn't want the Roman rite to become Byzantinised or Syricised or whatever.  Let it be Roman.  There are enough authentic Western patterns for the prayer of the faithful to choose from if desired. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2013, 01:01:32 AM »

LOL.  I wouldn't want the Roman rite to become Byzantinised or Syricised or whatever.  Let it be Roman.  There are enough authentic Western patterns for the prayer of the faithful to choose from if desired. 

I'm a former Roman, and I don't give an omophor whether it's Roman or Syricised or whatever as long as it has the utmost reverence. If it takes some Byzantising, then so be it.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2013, 01:18:27 AM »

I'm a former Roman, and I don't give an omophor whether it's Roman or Syricised or whatever as long as it has the utmost reverence. If it takes some Byzantising, then so be it.

Nah.  If you take even the NO Mass, sing/celebrate it according to the rubrics, making use of the Mass propers, decent vestments, and other traditional touches, it needs no Eastern influence.  Actually, a sung Mass done properly is preferable to the typical Byzantine Liturgy, IMO...much more so if it is the old Mass.     

And if an "influence" is needed for more "reverence", there's no need for "Byzantine" influence when the older Roman liturgical tradition is available.  Moreover, other Eastern traditions, in their pure form, would be easier to adapt to the Roman rite than the Byzantine tradition would be.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2013, 01:20:11 AM »

Nah.  If you take even the NO Mass, sing/celebrate it according to the rubrics, making use of the Mass propers, decent vestments, and other traditional touches, it needs no Eastern influence.  Actually, a sung Mass done properly is preferable to the typical Byzantine Liturgy, IMO...much more so if it is the old Mass.     

And if an "influence" is needed for more "reverence", there's no need for "Byzantine" influence when the older Roman liturgical tradition is available.  Moreover, other Eastern traditions, in their pure form, would be easier to adapt to the Roman rite than the Byzantine tradition would be.   

Considering I don't like the old form, thanks to the whole silent canon thing...

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »

Brastaseptim, the ruthemians revised and recreated their
Liturgy about 7 yrs ago. It was better before.  Also J. Michael Thompson
Rewrote the prostopinije.  It was better before. So none of that is even traditional. Even the 1962 roman missal had minor revisions. You should try out an ACROD parish

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »

Rewrote the prostopinije.  It was better before. So none of that is even traditional. Even the 1962 roman missal had minor revisions. You should try out an ACROD parish

If I could get to a Ruthenian church (my own jurisdiction), or even an ACROD, parish every Sunday, do you really think I'd be here talking about the Roman Mass?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »

Your liturgical standards must be lower than mine.  Tongue Oh, I can envision it now- altar rail across the sanctuary, with three gates- one center, two on the side- each one with a raised arch. The central gate having statues of Christ and Mary, Right and Left, on either sider- or a Divine Mercy and Perpetual Help/Lady of Guadalupe icon. The altar draped in a full-length frontal before the tabernacle's shelf on an old high altar, bearing two candles and a crucifix. Above the altar rail runs a long beam, supported by posts flanking each of the three arches, with a large rood cross above the main gate. Behind the tavernacle's shelf is a magnificent rereredos, completely of wood and adorned with icons of all the 12 major feasts, with the icons of the angels and saints all along the walls of the sanctuary, except above the rereredos where light streams in through a tained glass window of Christ Pantokrator. Along the nave are icons and statues of the saints, the parish's patron saint and Our Lady having a shrine of their own against the wall, or even in a side chapel. Instead of pews all the way to the altar rail step, they stop some 15 feet beforehand, leaving room for choir stalls facing vertically across the nave, and providing a place for the choir and clergy that is not hidden in a loft or in the sanctuary itself. A wonderful, surpliced choir that chants Gregorian chant and Anglican Chant and traditional hymns and Te Deums and Solemn Vespers and Solemn Lauds every Sunday! And clergy, not in polyester abominations of liturgical fashion, but semigothic vestments of dignity and class, including maniples and amices! Oh, the dreams of a Traditionalist!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is Latins do not have 12 great feasts.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »

In the late 70's I came across a book of experimental RC liturgies in a library.  I remember one of the minor propers for a Marian feast going something like this:  "We honor Mary, because her Son turned out so well."  A bit of an understatement.

Your liturgical standards must be lower than mine.  Tongue Oh, I can envision it now- altar rail across the sanctuary, with three gates- one center, two on the side- each one with a raised arch. The central gate having statues of Christ and Mary, Right and Left, on either sider- or a Divine Mercy and Perpetual Help/Lady of Guadalupe icon. The altar draped in a full-length frontal before the tabernacle's shelf on an old high altar, bearing two candles and a crucifix. Above the altar rail runs a long beam, supported by posts flanking each of the three arches, with a large rood cross above the main gate. Behind the tavernacle's shelf is a magnificent rereredos, completely of wood and adorned with icons of all the 12 major feasts, with the icons of the angels and saints all along the walls of the sanctuary, except above the rereredos where light streams in through a tained glass window of Christ Pantokrator. Along the nave are icons and statues of the saints, the parish's patron saint and Our Lady having a shrine of their own against the wall, or even in a side chapel. Instead of pews all the way to the altar rail step, they stop some 15 feet beforehand, leaving room for choir stalls facing vertically across the nave, and providing a place for the choir and clergy that is not hidden in a loft or in the sanctuary itself. A wonderful, surpliced choir that chants Gregorian chant and Anglican Chant and traditional hymns and Te Deums and Solemn Vespers and Solemn Lauds every Sunday! And clergy, not in polyester abominations of liturgical fashion, but semigothic vestments of dignity and class, including maniples and amices! Oh, the dreams of a Traditionalist!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is Latins do not have 12 great feasts.

They have Solemnity of Mary, Epiphany, Candlemas, Annunciation, Palm Sunday, Pascha, Ascension, Pentecost, Assumption, Presentation of the Theotokos, All Saints, and Nativity. And really, that's all you pull out to comment on out of a long post?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:04:42 PM by brastaseptim » Logged

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »

[quote or=brastaseptim link=topT255.msg1027424#msg1027424 date=1384706602]

If I could get to a Ruthenian church (my own jurisdiction), or even an ACROD, parish every Sunday, do you really think I'd be here talking about the Roman Mass?
[/quote]
Go to the closest Orthodox parish.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »

Considering I don't like the old form, thanks to the whole silent canon thing...

I'm not a big fan of the silent canon either, but even with the silent canon, a sung Mass in the traditional Roman rite will always beat Divine Liturgy in the Byzantine rite (presuming similar circumstances, for example, standard parish Sunday service celebrated by one priest, choir, etc.).  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »

Wouldn't that be the western rite?, holy God added and an epeclesis, hopefully silent

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »

Wouldn't that be the western rite?, holy God added and an epeclesis, hopefully silent

Nope.  In a liturgical deathmatch between standard EO parish Liturgy and standard traditional RC parish High Mass, High Mass wins every time.  No Trisagion, epiclesis, etc. required. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #212 on: November 17, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »

Mor Ephrem, youtube St Clements Anglo Catholic church then
Get back to me. Prepare to be floored.

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #213 on: November 17, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »

Sorry to narrow it down st clement anglo Catholic iN philly pa

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #214 on: November 17, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »

Reading this thread, one would get the idea that clown masses and such other crazy phenomena are present in every local  church .

As liturgically messed up as the western world Roman Rite Catholic church is... I really doubt that all the mentioned problems are even a significant minority.

Where I'm from, all this is a unheard of. The NO mass is celebrated decently at least at the average Roman Church.

May I ask you guys something? Is Orthodoxy free from liturgical abuse at local level? Does every priest celebrate the Divine liturgy without any deference from the rubrics?

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »

In all honesty.. The issue is not the Novus Ordo. The issue is the modern priests (God forgive me for speaking bad about your priests). Some of them just don't care...

Not much Rome can do about this except to try breed a new crop of priests who revere the mass and its significance. I think the Novus Ordo was a good thing for the church. The reason it was implemented was to return to a purer and simpler form of liturgy which would be truer to the liturgies celebrated by the 1st and second century Christians. Its sad how some have polluted and destroyed the beauty of the NO.