OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 05:20:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The mass of Paul VI  (Read 5913 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: October 14, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »

I was wondering, since there is so much variation, in how roman catholics celebrate their liturgies, I have actually never figured out what the "correct" way to celebrate the mass of Paul VI is.

I sometimes like watching videos of catholic masses and I would like to know what the traditional catholics(or just catholics in general) would think of this mass:
http://katolsk.mediaplatform.dk/video/watch/1853/63

It is not exactly a Tridentine Mass, but I honestly didn't think it was especially bad.

I would also appreciate if you could maybe give some examples of what you would consider a "proper" mass.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »

I sometimes like watching videos of catholic masses and I would like to know what the traditional catholics(or just catholics in general) would think of this mass:

It is not exactly a Tridentine Mass, but I honestly didn't think it was especially bad.

Lay people distributing communion alongside with the priest?!

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »

Pews?!

On a OC.net diet.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »

Silly Franks. Just replace Novus Ordo with dialogue version of Tridentine mass in vernacular.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »

Silly Franks. Just replace Novus Ordo with dialogue version of Tridentine mass in vernacular.
That's what I'm saying.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Regnare

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »

I'm a bit confused about why the title of the video includes the words "Latinsk messe" when, as you say, it's not a Tridentine Mass.

Unfortunately, there isn't really consent about what the correct way to celebrate the Novus Ordo is, but if we were to go by the recommendations of the council which advised the revision (recommending the preservation of Latin and Gregorian chant, while only suggesting a simplification and use of the vernacular), then the answer would probably be "as much like the Tridentine as the rubrics will possibly allow," in other words, the Mass should be celebrated the way it has always been.

(The use of lay or "Extraordinary" ministers of Holy Communion is intended to be a provision for parishes large enough that only having one person distributing communion would lengthen the Mass to a ridiculous extent. However, it is widely taken as a means of getting through the distribution of communion as quickly as possible.)

We used to do basically a Tridentine dialogue Mass in the vernacular; it was a temporary revision of the Mass in 1967 after Vatican II. But apparently that wasn't good enough for some bishops, and Pope Paul VI spent the last years of his papacy trying to fix the mess he'd helped make.

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »

I'm a bit confused about why the title of the video includes the words "Latinsk messe" when, as you say, it's not a Tridentine Mass.

If I understand it correctly, it simply means that it is a latin rite mass.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »

In what way pope Paul VI tried clear the mess?
Regnare

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »

I believe his action mostly involved trying to revive the use of traditional chant during the Mass.

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »

That's what I'm saying.

I've always wondered why this was never done.

This may be apocryphal, but supposedly Fr. Alexander Schmemann, when asked his thoughts after observing Vatican II, said, "I'm glad I'm Orthodox."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:46 PM »

Lay people distributing communion alongside with the priest?!

Common practice at the RC masses I've been to. Good ol' "extraordinary minister of Holy Communion."

Seeing middle-aged women wearing t-shirts and jeans handing out communion was just strange for me. Frankly it still is, whenever I end up at a RC Mass.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »

Seeing middle-aged women wearing t-shirts and jeans handing out communion was just strange for me. Frankly it still is, whenever I end up at a RC Mass.

That's why I make sure to end up at the right type of RC Mass or none at all.  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

I don't know what the RC's here think, but this was hands down one of the nicest "Novus Ordo" Masses I've seen.  I haven't seen any "new" Mass done this well in person, even when it was all in Latin and with music, incense, and other rites, broadcasts from the Vatican being the exception. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:54 PM »

I don't know what the RC's here think, but this was hands down one of the nicest "Novus Ordo" Masses I've seen.  I haven't seen any "new" Mass done this well in person, even when it was all in Latin and with music, incense, and other rites, broadcasts from the Vatican being the exception. 

I think this is another nicely done Novus Ordo/OF Mass. Ad Orientem, even.

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 11:10:19 PM »

I was wondering, since there is so much variation, in how roman catholics celebrate their liturgies, I have actually never figured out what the "correct" way to celebrate the mass of Paul VI is.

I would also appreciate if you could maybe give some examples of what you would consider a "proper" mass.

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/

If you get EWTN they do it right.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 01:34:47 AM »

That's what I'm saying.
Sadly no one in the Roman Church is listening to you.

The Mass in the first post is better than many of the Masses in the SF East Bay area. I have actually been to Lutheran services that are very similar.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 05:18:27 AM »

It's an abomination.  Angry

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »

If the priest would follow the rubrics in the Roman missal the "Mass of Paul VI" can be done reverently and beautifully, but most priest chose the shortest forms and also did whatever they thought looked cute.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Regnare

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:35 AM »

Here's a Novus Ordo Mass celebrated like it should be.

http://www.canons-regular.org/go/apostolates/ordinary-form-tutorials/

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »

My husband and I will be attending Mass here (http://www.stmichaelsabbey.com/abbey/) this Sunday. I suspect it won't be much like that video.  Cool

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »

You never know...I've only heard good things about Norbertines, though I've never seen one in real life.  Smiley

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »

It was really wonderful! It was the so-called "New Mass" but almost ALL in Latin using the Gregorian Chant. Will write more later - gotta go out to breakfast!  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 01:04:40 PM »

Are all Danish RC masses like that? I'm fairly suprised how traditional that is. Finnish RC masses are a bit more of a low church.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »

Yes, this looks about how it should be done.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »

It was really wonderful! It was the so-called "New Mass" but almost ALL in Latin using the Gregorian Chant. Will write more later - gotta go out to breakfast!  Grin
Interesting. The Norbertines in New Mexico are etremely low church liberals. Their church is ugly and their liturgy is uglier.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:18:29 PM by Papist » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

Didn't Pope Pius X ban baroque music in Mass?

On a OC.net diet.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 03:10:52 PM »

Didn't Pope Pius X ban baroque music in Mass?
wouldn't baroque music be a great improvement over what Roman churches have now?  Cheesy That being said, the ban may not be applicable to the new rite of the mass.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »

wouldn't baroque music be a great improvement over what Roman churches have now?  Cheesy

True that  Smiley

That being said, the ban may not be applicable to the new rite of the mass.

I suppose that's indeed the case. Pity, though. Nothing beats Gregorian chant.

On a OC.net diet.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »

It was really wonderful! It was the so-called "New Mass" but almost ALL in Latin using the Gregorian Chant. Will write more later - gotta go out to breakfast!  Grin
Interesting. The Norbertines in New Mexico are etremely low church liberals. Their church is ugly and their liturgy is uglier.

Perhaps the ones in New Mexico are not the best representatives of their tradition. The ones in El Toro, CA certainly are. And their liturgy is anything BUT ugly.

Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »

Perhaps the ones in New Mexico are not the best representatives of their tradition. The ones in El Toro, CA certainly are. And their liturgy is anything BUT ugly.

I agree.  St. Michael's Abbey in Silverton, CA has an exceptional Liturgy and they are very, very orthodox in the Roman Catholic sense. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »

Well this is good news. Glad to hear it.

username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »

A Benedictine priest says 1962 roman missal every sunday at 11am Twice a month it is sung by a great Schola. AItsits
This is 30min away from me.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:42:30 PM by username! » Logged

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »

For me, it has to be:
1. No Praise and Worship music, semi-traditional hymns or Chant with organ or accapella only
2. Ministers must be properly vested
3. Priest must not speed through, and not spend 10 minutes after the sign of the cross talking about his day.
4. Priest must be orthodox in teaching when giving the homily
5. Must not have priest's chair in the middle unless it's a Cathedral, and must have a crucifix on the altar
6. Anything but this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh_nqtp3VrU

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »

For me, it has to be:
1. No Praise and Worship music, semi-traditional hymns or Chant with organ or accapella only
3. Priest must not speed through, and not spend 10 minutes after the sign of the cross talking about his day.
5. Must not have priest's chair in the middle unless it's a Cathedral, and must have a crucifix on the altar

What is the dickens was the YouTube extract supposed to be. And are people supposed to be 'entertained', or worship or what at this dog's dinner? I had previously seen a RC Mass from California with dancing, bowls of incense carried aloft and wondered whether liturgical reform was a polite term for something unrepeatable.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »

For me, it has to be:

What is the dickens was the YouTube extract supposed to be. And are people supposed to be 'entertained', or worship or what at this dog's dinner? I had previously seen a RC Mass from California with dancing, bowls of incense carried aloft and wondered whether liturgical reform was a polite term for something unrepeatable.

That YouTube extract was supposed to be some form of Messa Disastrica, I believe. And I spell it "Messa" on purpose. I assume it's some form of pagan Kool-Aid ritual that will end up with the participants dead from either the dancers or their guts being destroyed from the sheer absurdity of this... thing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:28:18 PM by brastaseptim » Logged

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »

Isn't this from a vagante group at least?

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 10:39:55 PM »

How does one find an orthodox Catholic Church?

The most traditional parish in my city has a picture on its front page of a woman holding a communion host.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

The most traditional parish in my city has a picture on its front page of a woman holding a communion host.

What city are you in?

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »

What city are you in?

Louisville, Kentucky.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 11:09:41 PM »

And that makes it okay? The most Broad Church Anglicans would be ashamed to try this, and considering the past 40 years, that's saying something.

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »

I actually stumbled at the title of the thread.  It seems to suggest that Paul VI was really really fat.  

mass, not capitalized =

mass  (ms)
n.
1. A unified body of matter with no specific shape: a mass of clay.
2. A grouping of individual parts or elements that compose a unified body of unspecified size or quantity: "Take mankind in mass, and for the most part, they seem a mob of unnecessary duplicates" (Herman Melville).
3. A large but nonspecific amount or number: a mass of bruises.
4. A lump or aggregate of coherent material: a cancerous mass.
5. The principal part; the majority: the mass of the continent.
6. The physical volume or bulk of a solid body.
7. Abbr. m Physics A property of matter equal to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in either the speed or direction of its motion. The mass of an object is not dependent on gravity and therefore is different from but proportional to its weight.
8. An area of unified light, shade, or color in a painting.
9. Pharmacology A thick, pasty mixture containing drugs from which pills are formed.
10. masses The body of common people or people of low socioeconomic status: "Give me your tired, your poor,/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" (Emma Lazarus).
tr. & intr.v. massed, mass·ing, mass·es
To gather or be gathered into a mass.
adj.
1. Of, relating to, characteristic of, directed at, or attended by a large number of people: mass education; mass communication.
2. Done or carried out on a large scale: mass production.
3. Total; complete: The mass result is impressive.

Mass, capitalized =

Mass  (ms)
n.
a. Public celebration of the Eucharist in the Roman Catholic Church and some Protestant churches.
b. The sacrament of the Eucharist.
2. A musical setting of certain parts of the Mass, especially the Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei.

Catholics don't hold mass.  They hold Mass.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and the guy really was incredibly fat.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:15:37 PM by newtoorthodoxy » Logged

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 01:00:06 AM »

I actually stumbled at the title of the thread.  It seems to suggest that Paul VI was really really fat.  

I think this thread has reached "critical liturgy".  Grin

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 01:07:48 AM »

No one surpasses the Orthodox when it comes to "critical liturgy". 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 01:11:25 AM »

I'd like to say otherwise, but sadly, I've found no one who "critical liturgies" like Gaston- I mean, the Orthodox.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2013, 01:27:04 AM »

I'd like to say otherwise, but sadly, I've found no one who "critical liturgies" like Gaston- I mean, the Orthodox.
We are really quite good at expectorating at the Devil.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:28:06 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: