OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 01:52:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news: No Allah for Christians!  (Read 10194 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #315 on: October 15, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »

Here is a pic of Theophilus 10 yrs from now.  Grin

i707

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #316 on: October 15, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »

Just look at the paint palette hanging around his neck that seems to be encrusted in jewels.

Zactly, herd?

Das wut Kanye wuz sayin, yo. You know how long he wuz shoppin dem palettes to Van Cleef & Arples? And now look at how many YeeHawWays be wearing dem bricks now?

HOW MANY?!?!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:49:48 PM by orthonorm » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #317 on: October 15, 2013, 07:51:42 PM »

This is my final post on this issue:

I shall never pray to Allah or invoke him because I always obey the commandment in Exodus 3:15 and never submit to foreign gods (Allah, Allat, Al-uzzat whatever)

No matter what happens, I shall never pray with people who utter this word in their worship and never get any of the sacraments from a church where that word is uttered.

May Adonai YHWH bless and protect all of His children!

Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed

Do Messianic Jews have sacraments all of a sudden?  Huh
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #318 on: October 15, 2013, 08:03:50 PM »

New mod call: " Piling on.  Defense. 15 yard penalty. Repeat OP (over and over again.)"
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #319 on: October 15, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »

New mod call: " Piling on.  Defense. 15 yard penalty. Repeat OP (over and over again.)"

You do bring up a good point about the Judge Judiziation (or Wapnerfication if you are old school) of NFL and thus by proxy America in general.

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #320 on: October 15, 2013, 08:31:59 PM »

I don't think it's been truly explored, what has happened here.

Basically, the Arabic word for 'God' has been appropriated.  'Allah' simply means 'God.'  It is not the name of a deity--that point's been made here numerous times, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse there.  I have a different point to make.

I think confusion has arose when text being translated to English fails to translate this word also, reinforcing the notion that 'Allah' is the name of a god rather than the Arabic word for 'God.'  And in English, you have the plural as 'gods.'  What would be the plural of 'Allah'?  'allahs'?

If there isn't another word for 'God' in Arabic, then these Christians are forced to make one up or use one from another language, which is farcical.  

Think of it this way:  Say the Kleenex corporation sued so that the English word 'tissue' refers not just to any sheet of 'soft, absorbent pieces of paper used as handkerchiefs,' but rather only to tissues manufactured by this one company, Kleenex.  Nevermind the fact that people refer to all tissues as kleenex anyway--which actually is a brand name.  Americans do it all the time.  "Run to the store and get me some Puffs kleenex, will ya?"

So the Kleenex corporation (mis)appropriates a word out of the dictionary.  Now what are Scotties and Puffs to do?  They have to find another word in English meaning the same thing, choose the word 'tissue' in another language: French, Italian, Chinese, etc, hoping that when customers see this foreign word on their boxes, they'll know what it is, or--last option--make up a new word out of thin air.

What would be the purpose for Kleenex doing this?  Marketing.  You need tissues.  You go to the store, and discover only one brand has 'tissues' on the box.  If you're incredibly stupid, you might assume then that Kleenex is the one and only company in North America manufacturing tissues.  

I think the purpose is the same in trying to appropriate a word from the Arabic dictionary.  

Thing is, if they take that word to mean only their god, then 'Allah' does in fact become a name at this point.  

The whole purpose of this 'lawsuit' or whatever it was, was to take the word 'God' from Arabic Christians. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:37:59 PM by newtoorthodoxy » Logged

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #321 on: October 15, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »

Just look at the paint palette hanging around his neck that seems to be encrusted in jewels.

Zactly, herd?

Das wut Kanye wuz sayin, yo. You know how long he wuz shoppin dem palettes to Van Cleef & Arples? And now look at how many YeeHawWays be wearing dem bricks now?

HOW MANY?!?!
YO MAN I SPEN 2 OF MY CHECK IN TELLAMARKETING WHEN I WUZ 18 YEAR OLD. FIRST PAIR OF GUCCI SLIPPAS AND YALL KNO DAT WAS BEFORE H&M AND ZARA. YOU CANT JUZT FIND COOL STUFF GROWING UP

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #322 on: October 15, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »

I don't want to make one incredibly long post, so I'll make a second post.  Not sure how that helps, but I want to go deeper into one point I made in my previous post regarding the reason 'Allah' has been taken for the name of a god rather than the word for 'God.'

It doesn't get translated to English.  We take a sentence in Arabic which contains their word for 'God,' translate the rest of the sentence, and then leave 'Allah' as-is, having only created an English spelling indicating how English-speaking people should pronounce this Arabic word.  Think 'hooked on phonics.'  

Why?

I'd hate to be the one at the tiller when that decision needed to be made.  It would have to have been translated to 'God.'  So every English-speaking person would have read that how?  In America, I can't say how it would have been interpreted by a Jewish reader.  To an atheist, it probably would have been interpreted as 'god,' as in no one in particular, but without the 's,' this word is usually capitalized.  To the Christian reader, it would have referred to Christ.  

Imo, it was left as 'Allah' for some very obvious reasons.  If you want to see what would have happened if we had translated this word along with the rest of the text in which it appeared, just take any news story that has 'Allah' in it, make the translation to 'God,' and then read the story again.  

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:54:21 PM by newtoorthodoxy » Logged

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #323 on: October 15, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »

The whole purpose of this 'lawsuit' or whatever it was, was to take the word 'God' from Arabic Christians. 

No; that's what makes this whole thing so ridiculous: It's not to take the word from Arab Christians, it's to take the word from Malay Christians. It's one group of Malays telling another "You know this word that has been borrowed into our common language? Well, only we can use it! It's an 'Islamic' word. You must only use the native/non-borrowed word instead" (one wonders what this says about the strength of the Malay Muslim intellect or faith; are they going to hear the word 'Allah' coming from Malay Christians and become confused and suddenly begin worshiping the Holy Trinity?).

I think the rest of this thread is more than enough proof that "Allah" is not a 'Muslim' word in the original Arabic, so the reasoning behind this court judgment (particularly given past judgments in Malaysia which allowed Christians to use the name) is a little iffy, at best. Christians are essentially being punished for the past successes (and current fears) of Muslim proselytizers, as shown by the impact of Arabic on their native language.

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #324 on: October 16, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »

No; that's what makes this whole thing so ridiculous: It's not to take the word from Arab Christians, it's to take the word from Malay Christians. It's one group of Malays telling another "You know this word that has been borrowed into our common language? Well, only we can use it! It's an 'Islamic' word. You must only use the native/non-borrowed word instead" (one wonders what this says about the strength of the Malay Muslim intellect or faith; are they going to hear the word 'Allah' coming from Malay Christians and become confused and suddenly begin worshiping the Holy Trinity?).

I think the rest of this thread is more than enough proof that "Allah" is not a 'Muslim' word in the original Arabic, so the reasoning behind this court judgment (particularly given past judgments in Malaysia which allowed Christians to use the name) is a little iffy, at best. Christians are essentially being punished for the past successes (and current fears) of Muslim proselytizers, as shown by the impact of Arabic on their native language.

I stand corrected--I don't understand the whole Malaysian situation.  I do think the end result is the same--they took a word meaning nothing more than 'God' and legally redefined it so that you can't use it at all unless you're referring to the Muslim version of God.  In effect, they did in fact turn 'Allah' into the name of a deity, rather than just a word meaning 'God.'

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #325 on: October 16, 2013, 03:31:34 AM »

As far as I understand, the word Allah is a contraction of the arabic definite article al and the word ilah. Therefore, the word Allah, in the arabic language, basically just means "The God".

Unfortunately, this is not true. In the first place, Allah is an ilah (god), but not every ilah (god) is Allah. Allah has always pertained to a specific deity. Even Meccan pagans considered it the chief deity of their peculiar mythology.

Second, Meccan pagans also worshipped a goddess named Allat, which they considered the daughter of Allah. Allat also has the definite article el, but this does not change the fact that it represented a separate deity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-l%C4%81t

But in modern arabic, the word Allah is used in the same way we use the word God. Allah is used as a name for the god, the only god. Stating that Allah should not be used by christians, because it was once used as a name for a specific deity is, as has already been said, like refusing to use Theos or Deus.
Not only in modern Arabic, but ancient as well-we have pre-Islamic (and even pre-Christian) inscriptions that contain it, and we have pre-Islamic and early Islamic Christian inscriptions and documents with it as well.

Islamophobia taken to an extreme.  I don't see why the Gospel is subject to the errors of pagans nor fatwas of shari'ah courts.

In Latin Deus "God" is the name of the Indo-European god of the sky in daylight.  Jupiter is the contraction of "the father god Deus."  Zeus comes from the same root.  In Turkish Tanrı "God" comes from the ancient god Tengri the "Sky Father."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanri

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #326 on: October 16, 2013, 03:31:34 AM »

That's the problem, they didn't adopt a foreign deity. They adopted the word, which muslims used to describe their monotheistic god. That is how languages work.

Yet this is not how theology works and how divine judgment works.

The word Allah corresponds to the Islamic deity. If your excuse were acceptable, Egyptian Christians would be allowed to call the Biblical God "Amon Ra", which is unthinkable.
Actually, if you are referring to the Copts, besides "Allah," they call Him 'Phnouti "the God."  Exactly the same construction as in Arabic.  And yes, it has roots in pagan references to Amon Ra and Osiris.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #327 on: October 16, 2013, 03:31:34 AM »

Arab Christians aren't claiming that Allah is the name of the God of Israel either. They use the word Allah in the same sense that the Greeks use the word Θεός.

Yet Arab Christians forget that Allah was the name of the chief deity of Meccan paganism before Islam and is now the name of the Islamic/Quranic deity.
We didn't forget. We just remember it has no relevance.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #328 on: October 16, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »

I don't think it's been truly explored, what has happened here.

Basically, the Arabic word for 'God' has been appropriated.  'Allah' simply means 'God.'  It is not the name of a deity--that point's been made here numerous times, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse there.  I have a different point to make.

I think confusion has arose when text being translated to English fails to translate this word also, reinforcing the notion that 'Allah' is the name of a god rather than the Arabic word for 'God.'  And in English, you have the plural as 'gods.'  What would be the plural of 'Allah'?  'allahs'?

If there isn't another word for 'God' in Arabic, then these Christians are forced to make one up or use one from another language, which is farcical.  

Think of it this way:  Say the Kleenex corporation sued so that the English word 'tissue' refers not just to any sheet of 'soft, absorbent pieces of paper used as handkerchiefs,' but rather only to tissues manufactured by this one company, Kleenex.  Nevermind the fact that people refer to all tissues as kleenex anyway--which actually is a brand name.  Americans do it all the time.  "Run to the store and get me some Puffs kleenex, will ya?"

So the Kleenex corporation (mis)appropriates a word out of the dictionary.  Now what are Scotties and Puffs to do?  They have to find another word in English meaning the same thing, choose the word 'tissue' in another language: French, Italian, Chinese, etc, hoping that when customers see this foreign word on their boxes, they'll know what it is, or--last option--make up a new word out of thin air.

What would be the purpose for Kleenex doing this?  Marketing.  You need tissues.  You go to the store, and discover only one brand has 'tissues' on the box.  If you're incredibly stupid, you might assume then that Kleenex is the one and only company in North America manufacturing tissues.  

I think the purpose is the same in trying to appropriate a word from the Arabic dictionary.  

Thing is, if they take that word to mean only their god, then 'Allah' does in fact become a name at this point.  

No, Malay Christians, none of which AFAIK speak Arabic.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #329 on: October 31, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »

Did the Apostles forget that Jupiter was called Θεός?

Jupiter was Jupiter's name, not Theos.  Wink

From the Odyssey, XIV:439-445

αἴθ᾽ οὕτως, Εὔμαιε, φίλος Διὶ πατρὶ γένοιο
ὡς ἐμοί, ὅττι τε τοῖον ἐόντ᾽ ἀγαθοῖσι γεραίρεις.

τὸν δ᾽ ἀπαμειβόμενος προσέφης, Εὔμαιε συβῶτα:
‘ἔσθιε, δαιμόνιε ξείνων, καὶ τέρπεο τοῖσδε,
οἷα πάρεστι: θεὸς δὲ τὸ μὲν δώσει, τὸ δ᾽ ἐάσει,
ὅττι κεν ᾧ θυμῷ ἐθέλῃ: δύναται γὰρ ἅπαντα.

I hope, Eumaeus," said he, "that Jove will be as well disposed
towards you as I am, for the respect you are showing to an outcast like myself."

To this you answered, O swineherd Eumaeus,
"Eat, my good fellow, and enjoy your supper,
such as it is. God grants this, and withholds that,
just as he thinks right, for he can do whatever he chooses."

Hello Theophilos.

Can you answer me why using Theos - which is a name for Jupiter as well - for God is appropriate but using the Arabic equivalent of Allah is bad. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:40:25 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #330 on: October 31, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »

Hello Theophilos.

Can you answer me why using Theos - which is a name for Jupiter as well - for God is appropriate but using the Arabic equivalent of Allah is bad. Thanks.

The answer is simple: we can use the word Theos for anything we worship and consider divine. Allah, however, is a proper noun that denotes a specific deity, the god of Arabia.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #331 on: October 31, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »

Hello Theophilos.

The answer is simple: we can use the word Theos for anything we worship and consider divine. Allah, however, is a proper noun that denotes a specific deity, the god of Arabia.

Our God is the God of the whole world, and thus of Arabia as well.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #332 on: October 31, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »

Εὐλογητὸς Κύριος, ὁ Θεὸς τοῦ ᾿Ισραήλ

Blessed be the ADONAY YHVH of Israel (Luke 1:68)

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #333 on: October 31, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »

Hoc est insanum

This is insane.  (Mark 17.4)

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #334 on: October 31, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »

Εὐλογητὸς Κύριος, ὁ Θεὸς τοῦ ᾿Ισραήλ

Blessed be the ADONAY YHVH of Israel (Luke 1:68)

Very well, but since the New Covenant Israel isn't a geographical entity any more. Besides, even in Old Testament times God wasn't only the God of Israel. He favored Ruth, who wasn't an Isrealite, and he called Nineveh to repentence even though the inhabitants of Nineveh were gentiles.

Your point is moot.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #335 on: October 31, 2013, 06:11:12 PM »

Very well, but since the New Covenant Israel isn't a geographical entity any more. Besides, even in Old Testament times God wasn't only the God of Israel. He favored Ruth, who wasn't an Isrealite, and he called Nineveh to repentence even though the inhabitants of Nineveh were gentiles.

Your point is moot.

Then you think Zechariah made a mistake when he referred to the Adonai as the God of IsraelRoll Eyes

Yeshua did not come to destroy, but to fulfill! He does not want people to turn His holy churches into Saracen temples.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #336 on: October 31, 2013, 06:13:27 PM »

Then you think Zechariah made a mistake when he referred to the Adonai as the God of IsraelRoll Eyes

I never claimed that God wasn't the God of Israel. I do refuse to limit Him to Israel. It would almost be blasphemous to do so.

Yeshua did not come to destroy, but to fulfill! He does not want people to turn His holy churches into Saracen temples.

Strawman.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:13:58 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #337 on: October 31, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »

Your point is moot.

Read and see what the Gentiles said:

Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep. So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy ELOHIYM, if so be that will think upon us, that we perish not. (Jonah 1:5-6)

Then the men feared YHVH exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto YHVH, and made vows. (Job 1:16)

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #338 on: October 31, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »

I never claimed that God wasn't the God of Israel. I do refuse to limit Him to Israel. It would almost be blasphemous to do so.

This is how He chose to distinguish Himself from all the false gods of the nations. You cannot replace the God of Israel with the false god of the Arabs only because we believe that YHWH is the God of the universe. This is a dangerous game!

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #339 on: October 31, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Whether we call the Christian God JHVH, God, Dieu, Allah, Gott or Theos it still is the same God.

This is how He chose to distinguish Himself from all the false gods of the nations. You cannot replace the God of Israel with the false god of the Arabs only because we believe that YHWH is the God of the universe. This is a dangerous game!

God is the God of Israel. He's the God of the US, Germany, the Netherlands and Arabia as well.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:17:52 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #340 on: October 31, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »

Whether we call the Christian God JHVH, God, Dieu, Allah, Gott or Theos it still is the same God.

No, this is blasphemy!

If names are not important, go and call your God Amon-Ra. Maybe I should start calling you something else if names are not important.  Roll Eyes

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #341 on: October 31, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »

God is the God of Israel. He's the God of the US, Germany, the Netherlands and Arabia as well.

The God of Israel is named YHWH, not Allah!

Allah is the father of this goddess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-l%C4%81t
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:21:44 PM by Theophilos78 » Logged

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #342 on: October 31, 2013, 06:22:34 PM »

No, this is blasphemy!

Are you bothered by it if I use Theos or Dieu instead of God?

Maybe I should start calling you something else if names are not important.  Roll Eyes

My name is Sander. When I'm in Greece I write Alexandros in guestbooks. When I'm in France I call myself Alexandre. When I'm in Spain I don't object to being called Alejandro.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #343 on: October 31, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »

And Theos - a name for Zeus - is the father of Heracles and Helen of Troy. Yet the word Theos is used in the NT for the Christian God. Why is Theos okay but Allah anathema?

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #344 on: October 31, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »

No. You can even use ILAH.

Allah is an ilah, but not every ilah is Allah.  Wink

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #345 on: October 31, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »

You've been told numerous times, the word Allah predates Islam. Why is Theos okay but Allah isn't?

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #346 on: October 31, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »

And Theos - a name for Zeus - is the father of Heracles and Helen of Troy. Yet the word Theos is used in the NT for the Christian God. Why is Theos okay but Allah anathema?

Now there are no Greek pagans who use the word Theos in reference to Zeus. However, all the pagan Ishmaelites use the word Allah to refer to Muhammad's and their own ilah.

There's no use defending allah against me. My Christian brothers were slaughtered by allah worshippers and do you know what those allah worshippers said just before killing them in the name of their allah? They shouted: "there is no God, but only Allah!"  Angry

TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #347 on: October 31, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »

Do my a favour. Translate "The God" into Arabic for me, using proper Arabic conventions
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #348 on: October 31, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »

Do my a favour. Translate "The God" into Arabic for me, using proper Arabic conventions

el ilah

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #349 on: October 31, 2013, 06:33:12 PM »

Now there are no Greek pagans who use the word Theos in reference to Zeus.

That's obviously not true, since there are neo-pagans in Greece.

There's no use defending allah against me. My Christian brothers were slaughtered by allah worshippers and do you know what those allah worshippers said just before killing them in the name of their allah? They shouted: "there is no God, but only Allah!"  Angry

Guess what? Many of your Christian brothers in the Middle-East use the word Allah for God. But yes, there's no use trying to defend the usage of the word allah against you because, like the comrades of Odysseus, you stuffed your ears with wax against the sirens of common sense.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #350 on: October 31, 2013, 06:35:34 PM »

Guess what? Many of your Christian brothers in the Middle-East use the word Allah for God.

They cannot be my Christian brothers as long as they use the name of the Arabic and Islamic deity!  Roll Eyes

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #351 on: October 31, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »

Christians were also slaughtered by Yah, Deus and Theos worshippers as well, yet have no problem using those words to describe God. Why is Allah different?
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #352 on: October 31, 2013, 06:36:41 PM »

Quote from: K. L. Noll, Canaan and Israel in antiquity
Usually, the Iron Age high god was similar to Bronze Age Baal, but with some attributes of El. In a few instances, the opposite was the case: the high god was similar to El, but with attributes of Baal. In the Bible, Yahweh is presented as a Baal, riding through the clouds on a cherub with smoke pouring from his nostrils, in Ps. 18:7–20 (in some English versions, 18:6–19). Other typically Baal-type portraits are Psalms 29, 74 and 93, where Yahweh as Baal has defeated chaotic waters. Yahweh is described as El in Gen. 49:24–26, with its image of the divine shepherd, divine father, provider of blessings, including the blessings of breast and womb (probably a vestige of Asherah’s role). In a very late Hellenistic text, Dan. 7:13–14, El is the ‘Ancient of Days’ and Baal is the ‘One like a Son of Man’, the latter no longer a god, but a metaphor for the Jewish people (Dan. 7:27).

The henotheistic high god sometimes absorbed the roles and titles of other gods. For example, an increasing ‘solarization’ of many henotheistic high gods can be discerned in the Iron Age II. Numbers 6:24–26 is an interesting case. It is a blessing of ‘grace’ in the name of an El-like Yahweh, yet this god ‘shines’ his light on the worshiper as would Shemesh (the Sun god). Other lesser gods could also be absorbed, or they might remain independent gods at the high god’s command. In Hab. 3:5, for example, a Baal-like Yahweh may have absorbed aspects of Resheph, unless Resheph is simply by Yahweh’s side in this poem. In other cases, the high god’s wife might have become a manifestation of the god himself. Evidence for this is unclear and hotly debated by scholars. For example, at Elephantine, the Persian-era Jews (whose religion was nearly identical to Iron Age II Judahite religion) worshiped Anat-Yahu, wife of Yahweh (Yahu=Yahweh). Because the name is written in a way that can be translated ‘Anat of Yahu’, some scholars have suggested that she was no longer just Anat, but a part of Yahu: Yahu’s Anat. It is difficult to explain what this fusion of husband and wife means. A few scholars have suggested that the wife was becoming a ‘hypostasis’ of her husband.6 (A hypostasis is a term borrowed from Christian doctrine, where it describes the relationship of Jesus-the-Son to God-the-Father.) If Anat-Yahu was a hypostasis of Yahweh, then other biblical terms probably were as well, including: the ‘glory’ of Yahweh (Ezek. 10:4, 18; 11:23, etc.) the ‘name’ of Yahweh (Deut. 12:5; 18:7, etc.) and the ‘wisdom’ of Yahweh (Prov. 8:1–36, esp. vv. 22–31; see also Wisdom of Jesus ben Sirach 24:1–34).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:52:14 PM by Romaios » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #353 on: October 31, 2013, 06:37:12 PM »

Guess what? Many of your Christian brothers in the Middle-East use the word Allah for God.

They cannot be my Christian brothers as long as they use the name of the Arabic and Islamic deity!  Roll Eyes

Again, the word Allah predates Islam and is the equivalent of the Greek Theos. Why have no qualms with the one and protest against the other? Double standards?

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #354 on: October 31, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »

Christians were also slaughtered by Yah, Deus and Theos worshippers as well, yet have no problem using those words to describe God. Why is Allah different?

We do not need Allah... We have the name of the God of Israel. Good bye to Allah!

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #355 on: October 31, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »

We do not need Allah... We have the name of the God of Israel. Good bye to Allah!

So the French the wrong for worshipping Dieu as much as the Arab Christians are for worshipping Allah? Again, double standards?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:39:15 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #356 on: October 31, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »

So the French are the wrong in worshipping Dieu as much as the Arab Christians are in worshipping Allah? Again, double standards?

False parallelism again! Dieu means God, ILAH in Arabic, not Allah!

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #357 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:10 PM »

If your Yawhist ideology causes you to disown your Christian brethren in the Middle East so easily, your ideology has nothing to do with God (cf. I Jn 4.20-21).  

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #358 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »

So the French are the wrong in worshipping Dieu as much as the Arab Christians are in worshipping Allah? Again, double standards?

False parallelism again! Dieu means God, ILAH in Arabic, not Allah!

Allah predates Islam so the word isn't exclusive to Islam. And yes, Allah is Arabic for God. I don't see how anyone could deny that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:44:28 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #359 on: October 31, 2013, 06:53:28 PM »

I'll make it easy for you:

1. Since Allah and Theos were both used for the supreme god in a pre-christian pantheon, are both allowable to be used for the Christian God or should both be discarded?

2. God is the God of the universe. Does this mean that He's the God of the United States as well? What about Arabia? Is He the God of Arabia as well? If not, is He the God of the whole world except Arabia?

3. Why does it matter what God is called in other languages?

4. Are people who use another word for God than God Christian? Are Arab Christians, who profess the Nicene Creed, profess the Orthodox faith and are in communion with an Orthodox bishop, but use the word allah, Christian?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:54:22 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Tags: Allah Arabs are cool :3 Oh heavens <_< Ya Allah! 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: