OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 06:01:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Theodoret of Cyrrhus a saint?  (Read 1483 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: October 13, 2013, 06:08:31 PM »

Fr Pomazansky calls him "Blessed Theodoret" but Cyrillic says he is not in the Synaxarion. Of course there are other saints not in the Synaxarion but these are usually non-Eastern saints.

I'm not really interested in a discussion of Chalcedon or anything with this topic, just whether Theodoret is considered a saint. That's why I made this thread here and not in the EO/OO forum, so please don't derail it by arguing Chalcedon. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 06:13:12 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »

I have Fr. Pomazansky's book, Orthodox Dogmatic Theology and that's the only place I have seen his title as Blessed. Maybe Fr. Rose inserted that in the translation?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:30:02 PM »

He is generally called Blessed Theodoret, largely for his Scriptural commentaries which are extensive. But he does not have either a feast day, an icon, a service, or a church named for him as far as I can tell.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:33:15 AM »

Wasn't he anathematised on VI Council?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:37:48 AM »

Theodoret of Cyrrhus lived in the late 5th to mid-6th centuries. The Quinisext Ecumenical Council was held in 692, some 250 years after his death.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:38:04 AM by LBK » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 02:42:18 AM »

Theodoret of Cyrrhus lived in the late 5th to mid-6th centuries. The Quinisext Ecumenical Council was held in 692, some 250 years after his death.

Origen had lived even earlier and he was condemned alongside him.

Or have I messed something?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:47:03 AM »

Origen had lived even earlier and he was condemned alongside him.

Or have I messed something?

Origen was anathematized at the Fifth Council, along with Theodore of Mopsuestia. Similar name, but different person.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:52:42 AM »

The Three-Chapter Controversy led to the condemnation of his writings against Cyril in the Second Council of Constantinople (553).
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:56:23 AM »

The Three-Chapter Controversy led to the condemnation of his writings against Cyril in the Second Council of Constantinople (553).

From the same article:

The condemnation of the "Three Chapters" was demanded primarily to appease opponents of the Council of Chalcedon. Both Ibas and Theodoret had been deprived of their bishoprics by condemned heretics, and both were restored by the Council of Chalcedon upon anathematizing Nestorius.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 02:58:17 AM »

From the same article:

The condemnation of the "Three Chapters" was demanded primarily to appease opponents of the Council of Chalcedon. Both Ibas and Theodoret had been deprived of their bishoprics by condemned heretics, and both were restored by the Council of Chalcedon upon anathematizing Nestorius.

So does that mean the decisions of VI Ecumenical Council are invalid?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 03:08:18 AM »

From the same article:

So does that mean the decisions of VI Ecumenical Council are invalid?

According to the article you linked to, certain writings of Theodoret were condemned, not himself as a person. The passage in my previous post, if accurate, shows him to have remained in good standing with the Church.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 03:46:21 AM »

One of Theodoret's more interesting letters.

From the same article:

The Three Chapters were really heretical. I don't see much evidence that Theodoret is a canonized/recognised saint.

Besides, the works of Theodoret are titled ΘΕΟΔΩΡΗΤΟΥ ΕΠΙΣΚΟΠΟΥ ΚΥΡΟΥ ΑΠΑΝΤΑ ("All the Works of Theodoret, bishop of Cyrrhus)" while works of saints have ΤΟΥ ΕΝ ΑΓΙΟΙΣ ΠΑΤΡΟΣ ΗΜΩΝ [name and title of the bishop] ΑΠΑΝΤΑ ("All the Works of Our Father amongst the Saints [name and title]". Theodoret doesn't have this
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:34:41 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: The Old Belief, as it were
Jurisdiction: Betwixt a "Rock" and familiarity

IN THIS, CONQUER!

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 04:03:13 AM »

One of the more interesting letters of Theodoret.

I know that it's not unreasonable for the glorified to have disagreed on certain matters (St. Nilus of Sora and his fight with St. Joseph of Volotsk comes to mind) but this seems a bit much.

Quote from: The Excess of Blessed Constantine's Pious Concern
For while the people of God, whose fellow servant I am, are thus divided amongst themselves by an unreasonable and pernicious spirit of contention, how is it possible that I shall be able to maintain tranquility of mind?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 07:57:10 AM »

Is there a category for arcane/obscure topic of the month? Honestly, without looking him up, was Theodoret really within the body of collective knowledge of any who responded?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 08:09:01 AM »

Is there a category for arcane/obscure topic of the month? Honestly, without looking him up, was Theodoret really within the body of collective knowledge of any who responded?

He's very important in the Council of Chalcedon and subsequent developments. He also wrote one of the "three chapters" condemned at the 6th ecumenical council (linked by Cyrilic above). His commentaries are famous- a extract from him appears in the standard Russian psalter. Not obscure at all, actually.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:09:59 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »

He's very important in the Council of Chalcedon and subsequent developments. He also wrote one of the "three chapters" condemned at the 6th ecumenical council (linked by Cyrilic above). His commentaries are famous- a extract from him appears in the standard Russian psalter. Not obscure at all, actually.

Y'all possess more knowledge than the average, well founded Orthodox Christian needs to know. Nothing wrong with that, but this forum ain't Monachos.  Wink
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »

Yes. His anti-Cyrillian writings were condemned, but not his person. That, I believe, was fairly explicit in the wording of the canon. If his person had been condemned, that would have caused major problems with Rome and Antioch.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 11:56:38 AM »

One of the more interesting letters of Theodoret.

I know that it's not unreasonable for the glorified to have disagreed on certain matters (St. Nilus of Sora and his fight with St. Joseph of Volotsk comes to mind) but this seems a bit much.

In a sense, Theodoret was simply stating the Antiochene position. And, remember, they were really ticked that St. Cyril held the Council of Ephesus without them.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »

i've heard of him.
does that make me nearly as geeky as cyrillic?
 Smiley

(hope so)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »

Yes. His anti-Cyrillian writings were condemned, but not his person. That, I believe, was fairly explicit in the wording of the canon.

Very well, but narrowly escaping conciliar condemnation doesn't automatically make one a saint either.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:40:46 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »

Shanghaiski and Iconodule, can you provide sources for your claims (that he is generally called "Blessed" Theodoret and that he is quoted in the traditional Russian psalter)?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »

Yes. His anti-Cyrillian writings were condemned, but not his person. That, I believe, was fairly explicit in the wording of the canon.

Very well, but narrowly escaping conciliar condemnation doesn't automatically make one a saint either.

I never said he was a saint. I haven't been able to ask anyone with more knowledge about the Patriarchate of Antioch to ask about Theodoret's position, so to speak. I said that he is referred to as Blessed Theodoret out of deference to his Biblical commentaries. AFAIK, more of his survive than of St. John Chrysostom or St. Cyril the Great. They're pretty straightforward, too, unlike all that wild typology coming from Alexandria.  angel

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »

Shanghaiski and Iconodule, can you provide sources for your claims (that he is generally called "Blessed" Theodoret and that he is quoted in the traditional Russian psalter)?

The only source I have for the title is Fr. Michael Pomazansky, who I'm sure is following Russian tradition. (A non-Russian hieromonk claims this is due to the Western captivity. Fr. John Romanides is content to dis him in dialogue with the Orientals, but then he has other issues. The Franco-Latin Captivity is a two-edged sword.)

Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: The Old Belief, as it were
Jurisdiction: Betwixt a "Rock" and familiarity

IN THIS, CONQUER!

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »

Well, I don't want to brag too much but I knew he was around.

Granted, my knowledge was limited to a little blurb he made about the sign of the cross but, still, he was taking up some space in my noggin.

Quote from: The Excess of Blessed Constantine's Pious Concern
For while the people of God, whose fellow servant I am, are thus divided amongst themselves by an unreasonable and pernicious spirit of contention, how is it possible that I shall be able to maintain tranquility of mind?
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »

He's called a saint here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52873.msg1031904.html#msg1031904

Maybe Rakovsky can be the one to finally track down his feast day.   Smiley

Warning:  The above link is to the private forum.  If you don't have access, and you like unpleasant polemics, you can ask Fr. George for admission.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:52:24 PM by Salpy » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52873.msg1031904.html#msg1031904

Warning:  The above link is to the private forum.  If you don't have access, and you like unpleasant polemics, you can ask Fr. George for admission.

An EO hieormonk who has studied a lot on the topic said the appellation of "Blessed" to Theodoret was likely a Latin import through Russia and the "Latin captivity." He added that Theodoret's Christology is the default position of the West (being Rome and Protestantism), while the EOs have St. Cyril as their default position.

I have looked through many resources that I have and have found neither feast day, nor dedicated church, nor icon of Theodoret of Cyrus. Interestingly, however, there are several of his writings which were later misidentified as being by St. Cyril of Alexandria.

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 08:56:58 AM »

Y'all possess more knowledge than the average, well founded Orthodox Christian needs to know. Nothing wrong with that, but this forum ain't Monachos.  Wink

There is never enough knowledge that does not need to be known!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 12:21:37 PM »

An EO hieormonk who has studied a lot on the topic said the appellation of "Blessed" to Theodoret was likely a Latin import through Russia and the "Latin captivity." He added that Theodoret's Christology is the default position of the West (being Rome and Protestantism), while the EOs have St. Cyril as their default position.

I have looked through many resources that I have and have found neither feast day, nor dedicated church, nor icon of Theodoret of Cyrus. Interestingly, however, there are several of his writings which were later misidentified as being by St. Cyril of Alexandria.
which writings?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »

I'm not sure off hand which writings. I believe they're discussed in this book on Theodoret: http://www.amazon.com/Theodoret-Cyrus-Early-Church-Fathers/dp/0415309611/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385328395&sr=8-2&keywords=Theodoret
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:08:47 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Ekdikos
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Serbia - Diocese of Banja Luka

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 08:32:49 AM »

I am sorry for bumping this old thread, but I think, I may offer something new. Blessed Theodoret is saint of Orthodox Church, at least if we juge by Saint Photios the Great. He is explicitely calling him Blessed (makarios) in his Bibliotheca:

Migne PG, 103, CCIII.
Text avaliable online at: http://books.google.com/books?id=cZfYAAAAMAAJ
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:33:03 AM by Ekdikos » Logged

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 09:24:36 AM »

Here is Theodoret's refutation of St. Cyril's 12 Anathemas.

"Against XII.— Passion is proper to the passible; the impassible is above passions. It was then the form of the servant that suffered, the form of God of course dwelling with it, and permitting it to suffer on account of the salvation brought forth of the sufferings, and making the sufferings its own on account of the union. Therefore it was not the Christ who suffered, but the man assumed of us by God. Wherefore also the blessed Isaiah exclaims in his prophecy, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And the Lord Christ Himself said to the Jews, Why do you seek to kill me, a man that has told you the truth? But what is threatened with death is not the very life, but he that has a mortal nature. And giving this lesson in another place the Lord said to the Jews, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Therefore what was destroyed was the (temple descended) from David, and, after its destruction, it was raised up by the only begotten Word of God impassibly begotten of the Father before the ages."

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/2701.htm

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Ekdikos
Elder

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »

"Against XII.— Passion is proper to the passible; the impassible is above passions. It was then the form of the servant that suffered, the form of God of course dwelling with it, and permitting it to suffer on account of the salvation brought forth of the sufferings, and making the sufferings its own on account of the union. Therefore it was not the Christ who suffered, but the man assumed of us by God. Wherefore also the blessed Isaiah exclaims in his prophecy, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And the Lord Christ Himself said to the Jews, Why do you seek to kill me, a man that has told you the truth? But what is threatened with death is not the very life, but he that has a mortal nature. And giving this lesson in another place the Lord said to the Jews, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Therefore what was destroyed was the (temple descended) from David, and, after its destruction, it was raised up by the only begotten Word of God impassibly begotten of the Father before the ages."

And Fifth Eccumenical Council condmened his works against Saint Cyrill, not him personaly

XIII.

If anyone shall defend the impious writings of Theodoret, directed
  against the true faith and against the first holy Synod of Ephesus and
  against St. Cyril and his XII. Anathemas, and [defends] that which he
  has written in defence of the impious Theodore and Nestorius, and of
  others having the same opinions as the aforesaid Theodore and
  Nestorius, if anyone admits them or their impiety, or shall give the
  name of impious to the doctors of the Church who profess the hypostatic
  union of God the Word; and if anyone does not anathematize these
  impious writings and those who have held or who hold these sentiments,
  and all those who have written contrary to the true faith or against
  St. Cyril and his XII. Chapters, and who die in their impiety:  let him
  be anathema.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:27:21 AM by Ekdikos » Logged

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 09:28:09 AM »

I'm not sure off hand which writings. I believe they're discussed in this book on Theodoret: http://www.amazon.com/Theodoret-Cyrus-Early-Church-Fathers/dp/0415309611/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385328395&sr=8-2&keywords=Theodoret

I found it here:

"This is due partly to the fact that De Trinitate and De incarnatione were preserved under Cyril's name and restored to Theodoret only in 1888."

http://books.google.com/books?id=9LVdGlohtkAC&lpg=PA10&ots=f3ybWpODc1&dq=theodoret%20counter%20anathemas&pg=PA11#v=onepage&q=theodoret%20counter%20anathemas&f=false

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »

And Fifth Eccumenical Council condmened his works against Saint Cyrill, not him personaly

XIII.

against St. Cyril and his XII. Anathemas, and [defends] that which he
  St. Cyril and his XII. Chapters, and who die in their impiety:  let him
  be anathema.

Did he ever recant these writings?

Ekdikos
Elder

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »

He signed formula of Consensus between Saint Cyrill and John of Antioch, and was cleared by Chalcedon. Of course we are here getting on topic whihc separate Dyaphysities and Miaphysites (Not to say Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, since honestly distinction is oxymoron-like, Eastern and Oriental are synonims, that distincition is etymologicialy artificial). But, I think OP had in mind, wheather, Dyaphysite Orthodox celebrate Theodore as Saint. And I answered from that perspective. 

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »

He signed formula of Consensus between Saint Cyrill and John of Antioch, and was cleared by Chalcedon. Of course we are here getting on topic whihc separate Dyaphysities and Miaphysites (Not to say Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, since honestly distinction is oxymoron-like, Eastern and Oriental are synonims, that distincition is etymologicialy artificial). But, I think OP had in mind, wheather, Dyaphysite Orthodox celebrate Theodore as Saint. And I answered from that perspective. 

Thanks. I only recently came across this work and was a bit surprised to read that bit.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »

Dear Ekdikos,

Is there a day of commemoration of him in the calendar of saints in your church?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Ekdikos
Elder

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 04:06:50 PM »

Dear Ekdikos,

Is there a day of commemoration of him in the calendar of saints in your church?
Not that I am aware. Though if you folowed previous discussion, it does not mean a lot. Also, seems somebody here was trying to track his feast day (link to topic about it, in part of forum I cant see. ) All I know for sure, Saint Photius call Theodoret, Blessed (makarios) which imply liturgical comemoration. Also, he called Theodoret, grand and wise man.

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »

Origen was also a blessed and grand and wise man as well.  He's in no calendar of saints, and as far as I know, he's been "condemned" as well.

Ekdikos
Elder

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »

Origen was also a blessed and grand and wise man as well.  He's in no calendar of saints, and as far as I know, he's been "condemned" as well.
But Photios was systemathizer of patristic tought, and of history of Philosophy. He was also, Patriarch of Constantinople, and EO, saint. On other hand... Origen is condemned, explicitly (I know V ecumenical Council is not binding for you, but this is EO perspective we talk), while only some works  of Theodorete are. Also many of people calling Origen blessed were Arians or Semi-Arians.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:24:37 PM by Ekdikos » Logged

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »

But Photios was systemathizer of patristic tought, and of history of Philosophy. He was also, Patriarch of Constantinople, and EO, saint. On other hand... Origen is condemned, explicitly (I know V ecumenical Council is not binding for you, but this is EO perspective we talk), while only some works  of Theodorete are. Also many of people calling Origen blessed were Arians or Semi-Arians.

Even with EO perspective, you will not get a lot of agreement.  Origen has more Orthodox writings than Theodoret, and in fact used more.  He has influenced the theology of St. Athanasius, St. Cyril, the Cappadocian fathers, and ps-Dionysius the Areopagite, which has pretty much become one of the most used writings for Byzantine spirituality and Orthodoxy.  Whether we admit it or not, Origen's theology has influenced practically all of Orthodox theology.  (and it is also questionable that the anathemas against Origen are really Origen's teachings)

Theodoret on the other hand, is a completely different case, and his integrity is questionable.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:38:54 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Ekdikos
Elder

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »

I dont think I can fully answer here assesment on Origen, but few notices, Smiley

Its can of worms to answer who has more orthodox writings. As far as Theodoret is concerned, problematic things are only his treatises on Cyril, which are not that voluminous, he wrote a lot more besides. As far as Origen... well is there any work of him, without problematic passages. Its not just De Principii... He held subordationist Triadological views, for example in commentaries on John's Gospel. But it is can of worms.
Second, hm... he did influence Saint Athanasius, but he did influence Arius to. And two Eusebiuses, and so on. Capadocian Fathers were recipients of Origenistic tradition, but only Saint Gregory of Nyssa was Origenist, in true sense. We could also invoke example of Tertulian, he influenced a lot people, who called him master, but he died heretic.
Now, to stop analogizing, authority of Saint Photius is quite good enough, as far as EO tradition is concerned. How strong, Photios words are taken, is shown from fact that liturgical comemoration of Clement of Alexandria ceased, because Photios did not considered him saint.
My intention was not to stear up, Dyophysite-Miaphysite discussion :-) (U dont imply you understood me such, just clearing)

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »

I dont think I can fully answer here assesment on Origen, but few notices, Smiley

Its can of worms to answer who has more orthodox writings. As far as Theodoret is concerned, problematic things are only his treatises on Cyril, which are not that voluminous, he wrote a lot more besides. As far as Origen... well is there any work of him, without problematic passages. Its not just De Principii... He held subordationist Triadological views, for example in commentaries on John's Gospel. But it is can of worms.
Second, hm... he did influence Saint Athanasius, but he did influence Arius to. And two Eusebiuses, and so on. Capadocian Fathers were recipients of Origenistic tradition, but only Saint Gregory of Nyssa was Origenist, in true sense. We could also invoke example of Tertulian, he influenced a lot people, who called him master, but he died heretic.
Now, to stop analogizing, authority of Saint Photius is quite good enough, as far as EO tradition is concerned. How strong, Photios words are taken, is shown from fact that liturgical comemoration of Clement of Alexandria ceased, because Photios did not considered him saint.
My intention was not to stear up, Dyophysite-Miaphysite discussion :-) (U dont imply you understood me such, just clearing)

So far I have geared away from OO/EO discussions.  I hope you realized that.

Surely, you have heard of the Philocalia (not to be confused with the Philokalia from today's publishing), an anthology of Origen's writings put together by St. Gregory the Theologian and St. Basil the Great.

His "subordinationist Trinitarianism" is not a heterodox Trinitarianism.  It needed to be understood in its time.  Practically all Church fathers up until Origen held to this type of theology.  It was Arius who took it to a heretical direction.  St. Athanasius actually defended Origen's theology if anything.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:00:10 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »

Even with EO perspective, you will not get a lot of agreement.  Origen has more Orthodox writings than Theodoret, and in fact used more.  He has influenced the theology of St. Athanasius, St. Cyril, the Cappadocian fathers, and ps-Dionysius the Areopagite, which has pretty much become one of the most used writings for Byzantine spirituality and Orthodoxy.  Whether we admit it or not, Origen's theology has influenced practically all of Orthodox theology.  (and it is also questionable that the anathemas against Origen are really Origen's teachings)

Agreed. Considering that he's so foundational for much of Orthodox Christianity, and was retroactively condemned because of unfortunate distortions centuries after his death, it's really no surprise. I've heard Orthodox priests/theologians speak very highly of him, seemingly pretty unhappy with his condemnation.
Ekdikos
Elder

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 06:52:30 AM »

Agreed. Considering that he's so foundational for much of Orthodox Christianity, and was retroactively condemned because of unfortunate distortions centuries after his death, it's really no surprise.
I've heard Orthodox priests/theologians speak very highly of him, seemingly pretty unhappy with his condemnation.

He was not condemned. And, (Eastern) Orthodox theologians usualy quote him as "Venerable". Point of this thread is wheather somebody could confirm his cult on basis of feast day or icon.

Before entering in further discussions, here are canons of V Ecumenical Council:

Canon XIII concerning  Blessed Theodoret of Cyrus
  against
St. Cyril and his XII. Anathemas, and [defends] that which he