OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 04:50:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A better Board?  (Read 7204 times) Average Rating: 0
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #405 on: October 17, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »

Just as the Prayer Forum is to be more devout without trollish posts, could there be a new Forum where the topic matter is more moderated placed immediately underneath this Prayer Forum (general fora) entitled: PRAXIS.

It would be awesome to have Praxis topics on how to pray, how to fast, iconography questions, wearing headcoverings, etc. placed in PRAXIS without unwanted distractions from those who would troll and wreck havoc with off-topic, humorous, baiting, call-out posts, and rude comments. This would be a forum for serious posts from inquirers, catechumens, and Orthodox Christians.

Specifically, I would like to start a thread on this topic and have it placed in PRAXIS, not the Faith forum.

Abba Ischyrion said, "The men of that generation will not accomplish any works at all and temptation will come upon them; and those who will persevere in that day will be greater than either us or our fathers".

I do not think duplicating FI just because you do not like me is a good idea :*

I did not say that I do not like you.

We need to keep Faith Issues as a discussion and bantering area just like it is. And I will probably still post in there occasionally.

However, I would prefer to see a more sober area called PRAXIS with strict moderation FOR THOSE WHO WANT IT. It would be a safe area much like Prayer Forum where people can discuss problems in their prayer lives, etc. without being interrupted by those who are not so sober and watchful. We can always post a sign outside reading: No drunks welcome. Sober up first.   angel

The best solution is to punish those that persistently do that (I think there are a few) to the uttermost. They will know better next time.

Those who wreck havoc on topics are obviously disrupting and destroying this forum. This behaviour needs to be dealt with, esspecially on the "Faith Issues" forum [edited out attack].

Faith Issues is a lightly moderated area, and it is perfectly fine.

However, it would be awesome to have PRAXIS, a strictly moderated area in the General Fora, where those who want to have serious discussions about living the Orthodox Life and ethos can do so without interferences from those who are having their juvenile moments. I think it is fair to say that we all slip into those unsober moments when we need to let off steam, but let's be more responsible and respect those who want to have serious discussions.

Can't we have one forum that is strictly moderated?

What's wrong with this forum being strictly moderated by real moderators?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #406 on: October 17, 2013, 04:02:17 PM »

Just as the Prayer Forum is to be more devout without trollish posts, could there be a new Forum where the topic matter is more moderated placed immediately underneath this Prayer Forum (general fora) entitled: PRAXIS.

It would be awesome to have Praxis topics on how to pray, how to fast, iconography questions, wearing headcoverings, etc. placed in PRAXIS without unwanted distractions from those who would troll and wreck havoc with off-topic, humorous, baiting, call-out posts, and rude comments. This would be a forum for serious posts from inquirers, catechumens, and Orthodox Christians.

Specifically, I would like to start a thread on this topic and have it placed in PRAXIS, not the Faith forum.

Abba Ischyrion said, "The men of that generation will not accomplish any works at all and temptation will come upon them; and those who will persevere in that day will be greater than either us or our fathers".

We need to keep Faith Issues as a discussion and bantering area just like it is. And I will probably still post in there occasionally.

However, I would prefer to see a more sober area called PRAXIS with strict moderation FOR THOSE WHO WANT IT. It would be a safe area much like Prayer Forum where people can discuss problems in their prayer lives, etc. without being interrupted by those who are not so sober and watchful. We can always post a sign outside reading: No drunks welcome. Sober up first.   angel

The best solution is to punish those that persistently do that (I think there are a few) to the uttermost. They will know better next time.

Those who wreck havoc on topics are obviously disrupting and destroying this forum. This behaviour needs to be dealt with, esspecially on the "Faith Issues" forum [edited out attack].

However, it would be awesome to have PRAXIS, a strictly moderated area in the General Fora, where those who want to have serious discussions about living the Orthodox Life and ethos can do so without interferences from those who are having their juvenile moments. I think it is fair to say that we all slip into those unsober moments when we need to let off steam, but let's be more responsible and respect those who want to have serious discussions.

I like your idea, Maria. 

Punishing people, as lovetzatziki would like, "to the uttermost", which seems to me would be being banned from the board, seems way overly harsh.   

There really is nothing wrong, on the whole, with the moderation on this board.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #407 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:05 PM »

In case you hadn't noticed (how can you miss that little green apple under your name?) this board is moderated by real moderators.  What's with the iron hand mentality, anyway??

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #408 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »

However, I would prefer to see a more sober area called PRAXIS with strict moderation FOR THOSE WHO WANT IT. It would be a safe area much like Prayer Forum where people can discuss problems in their prayer lives, etc. without being interrupted by those who are not so sober and watchful. We can always post a sign outside reading: No drunks welcome. Sober up first.   angel

I like your idea, Maria.

Quote from: J Michael
In case you hadn't noticed (how can you miss that little green apple under your name?) this board is moderated by real moderators.  What's with the iron hand mentality, anyway??

Green Apples? My, I would like some apple pie.

Nothing surprises me lately here at OC when trolls are asking that other trolls be banned!
Sheesh!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:07:46 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #409 on: October 17, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »

Wonder why admins, gms and normal mods have not as adamant and cocky views how to rule the board. There would be 5-point to-do-list, it would be implemented during some weekend and the board would run smoothly like clockwork.

Why hasn't anyone come up with this already? It's so easy.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:16:12 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #410 on: October 17, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »

Wonder why admins, gms and normal mods have not as adamant and cocky views how to rule the board. There would be 5-point to-do-list, it would be implemented during some weekend and the board would run smoothly like clockwork.

Wait...you're one of THEM!!!!  You're a...........................MODERATOR! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  Ergo, you are biased. Grin Grin

katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #411 on: October 17, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »

As opposed to the current slacker robot moderators, you mean?

Give me a break!

(I'm coming all over rude, so I'll stop now and not further comment on the puzzling desire to police everyone else's conduct but one's own.)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #412 on: October 17, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »

Last time I checked I was real.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #413 on: October 17, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »

Last time I checked I was real.

You can't possibly be.  You're under the age of 33.  How can anyone younger than 33 be real?  I mean....really Roll Eyes Roll Eyes!

Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:39:56 PM by J Michael » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #414 on: October 17, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »

I like your idea, Maria. 

Punishing people, as lovetzatziki would like, "to the uttermost", which seems to me would be being banned from the board, seems way overly harsh.   

I suppose some people want users to be banished to the outer darkness of the fora world, if they so much as post an absurdity.  I would have been sent there my first day, I think. Grin

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #415 on: October 17, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »

I like your idea, Maria. 

I suppose some people want users to be banished to the outer darkness of the fora world, if they so much as post an absurdity.  I would have been sent there my first day, I think. Grin

Believe it or not, only one person here wants to banish our regular members into absurdity.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #416 on: October 17, 2013, 06:13:50 PM »

I think the talk of moderation or 'banishment' being a 'solution' is over the top. This board just hit a million posts, I doubt anyone really wants to volunteer for that job.

It's up to us to make this a hospitable, but lively place - and to ignore (something I need to do) inoffensive, but off topic posts. However, there is a time and place to complain - just not too often if we work at it.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #417 on: October 17, 2013, 06:16:40 PM »

inoffensive, but off topic posts.

It's not the inoffensive silly stuff that's the problem here, but the offensive. There's just far too much of it.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #418 on: October 17, 2013, 07:42:13 PM »

inoffensive, but off topic posts.

It's not the inoffensive silly stuff that's the problem here, but the offensive. There's just far too much of it.
SUCH AS WHAT.

POST SOME EXAMPLES

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh I've asked this like 100 times by now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:42:41 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #419 on: October 17, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »

If someone wants a strictly moderated forum, there is always Monachos.

What makes OCnet so popular is that it is a place where more open discussion can take place.  Sure there are unpleasant posters and some really stupid threads; but that is what happens when you have open discussion.  It's a trade off.  I don't like some of the idiotic things that get said here, but I'd rather put up with that than squelch discussion.

My understanding is that the founders of the forum wanted a place where people could just discuss Orthodoxy without a lot of restrictions.  If anything, I would say it is much more moderated now than it was a decade ago.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #420 on: October 17, 2013, 07:51:14 PM »

Or CAF, and we all know how everyone here feels about that place.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #421 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:11 PM »

Please direct further conversation on the topic of rudeness to the following thread / poll: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,54348.msg1008183/topicseen.html#msg1008183

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #422 on: October 18, 2013, 03:26:16 AM »

A handful of posters jointly or independently decided they are going to change the course of the board with Italian strike. Is Italian strike Orthodox?
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #423 on: October 18, 2013, 03:32:45 AM »

What makes OCnet so popular is that it is a place where more open discussion can take place.  Sure there are unpleasant posters and some really stupid threads; but that is what happens when you have open discussion.  It's a trade off.  I don't like some of the idiotic things that get said here, but I'd rather put up with that than squelch discussion.

My understanding is that the founders of the forum wanted a place where people could just discuss Orthodoxy without a lot of restrictions.  If anything, I would say it is much more moderated now than it was a decade ago.

If someone doesn't want strict moderated rudeness than HE IS HERE FOR THE WRONG REASONS! Good that they come out in the sun. The wise posters should know who they are by this threads.
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #424 on: October 18, 2013, 03:34:38 AM »

Sadly according to the poll thread I see a lot of people who consider this forum a pamphlet and a joke. They like to amuse on the rudeness level expressed on a Christian forum. I thought we were Christians, not barbarians.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #425 on: October 18, 2013, 03:37:27 AM »

If someone doesn't want strict moderated rudeness than HE IS HERE FOR THE WRONG REASONS!

"Then"!

A better board starts with better spelling.  police

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #426 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:57 AM »

I thought we were Christians, not barbarians.

"Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. (Colossians 3:11)"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:39:11 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #427 on: October 18, 2013, 03:41:11 AM »

If someone doesn't want strict moderated rudeness than HE IS HERE FOR THE WRONG REASONS!

"Then"!

A better board starts with better spelling.  police

Nope. It starts with having you under surveillance. You started your trolling siesta early today. I think the REAL mods(not your friends) should look through your posts and judge how many of them are off-topic mean bickering remarks.
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #428 on: October 18, 2013, 03:44:07 AM »

"Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. (Colossians 3:11)"

And the point of quoting that is.. ?
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #429 on: October 18, 2013, 03:50:30 AM »

Nope. It starts with having you under surveillance. You started your trolling siesta early today. I think the REAL mods(not your friends) should look through your posts and judge how many of them are off-topic mean bickering remarks.

Maybe it's still early in Denmark. There were times when I posted at 5AM. I appreciate your concern for my bouts of insomnia as well as your good spirits.  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:52:11 AM by Romaios » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #430 on: October 18, 2013, 03:50:55 AM »

Read carefully.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #431 on: October 18, 2013, 03:51:42 AM »

I am still surprised no one has shared this thread
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,45733.0.html

I wonder how man similar threads there had been before. And how would that correspond to "the board downgraded recently" thesis. And that thread was more fun than this.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:52:39 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #432 on: October 18, 2013, 03:53:10 AM »

Because it's normal posters that actually make the forum not moderators. So posters opinions/complaints should be taken more seriously. I thought Mods were suppossed to be smart.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #433 on: October 18, 2013, 03:55:49 AM »

I did. I also mentioned the thread on single women where Liza Symonenko posted her views on the matter, and was set upon for her trouble.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:58:17 AM by LBK » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #434 on: October 18, 2013, 03:56:10 AM »

So posters opinions/complaints should be taken more seriously.

Nobody but you wants Stalin-like purges.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #435 on: October 18, 2013, 04:00:22 AM »

I did. I also mentioned the thread on single women where Liza Symonenko posted her views on the matter, and was set upon for her trouble.

I do not read threads for single women. I do not regret.
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #436 on: October 18, 2013, 04:01:24 AM »

Stalin was a dictator.

Taking head of the people's opinion is democratic.

So 'No'.

Where did you find this Mods Fr. George?
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #437 on: October 18, 2013, 04:04:13 AM »

Read carefully.

I read it but I find it unapplying to my post. I'd rather have you explain it and say what you had in mind when you said " I will quote Colossians 3:11".

P.S Fr George why do Mods troll?
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #438 on: October 18, 2013, 04:04:28 AM »

Stalin was a dictator.

Your opinion isn't the same as "the people's opinion"

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #439 on: October 18, 2013, 04:07:52 AM »

Stalin was a dictator.

Well the majority agrees that there is a certain level of rudeness on this forum but they have different opinions on it. Some of them are just not wise. Or some of them say the same things in different manner even if they vote differently. And the voting has just begun.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #440 on: October 18, 2013, 04:10:20 AM »

Stalin was a dictator.

I Am the People, the Mob
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #441 on: October 18, 2013, 04:21:49 AM »

I do not read threads for single women. I do not regret.

Here is that thread. You would do well to read it:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,44617.0.html
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:22:18 AM by LBK » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #442 on: October 18, 2013, 04:24:16 AM »

No, thanks. I do not read threads about relationships, sexuality, and ridiculous pseudophylosophy here unless I have to.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:24:31 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #443 on: October 18, 2013, 04:29:21 AM »

No, thanks. I do not read threads about relationships, sexuality, and ridiculous pseudophylosophy here unless I have to.

I have provided an example of a thread full of forum rudeness, as asked for in the OP. Your refusal to read it speaks volumes.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #444 on: October 18, 2013, 04:32:50 AM »

I have provided an example of a thread full of forum rudeness, as asked for in the OP. Your refusal to read it speaks volumes.

It's not in my section. I do not have to.

Moreover not reading things one does not want to read is better than reading and then whining about them for one's mental health. You should follow that advice and the world will start to look like a better place.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #445 on: October 18, 2013, 04:40:39 AM »

It's not in my section. I do not have to.

Moreover not reading things one does not want to read is better than reading and then whining about them for one's mental health. You should follow that advice and the world will start to look like a better place.

This thread is for the discussion of ways of improving this forum. Blocking your ears and shutting your eyes while pretending all is well isn't the mark of someone who's prepared to listen to what people have to say.
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: The Old Belief, as it were
Jurisdiction: Betwixt a "Rock" and familiarity

IN THIS, CONQUER!

« Reply #446 on: October 18, 2013, 04:44:03 AM »

Stalin was a dictator.

Well the majority agrees that there is a certain level of rudeness on this forum but they have different opinions on it. Some of them are just not wise. Or some of them say the same things in different manner even if they vote differently. And the voting has just begun.

Yes, but does anybody agree with you, what with your demands that we guillotine our resident moderatorial class?

Quote from: The Excess of Blessed Constantine's Pious Concern
For while the people of God, whose fellow servant I am, are thus divided amongst themselves by an unreasonable and pernicious spirit of contention, how is it possible that I shall be able to maintain tranquility of mind?
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #447 on: October 18, 2013, 08:31:18 AM »

ENOUGH OF THIS FOOLISHNESS!!!  I DECREE MYSELF TO BE ULTIMATE MOD. YOU ARE ALL BANNED!!!

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #448 on: October 18, 2013, 08:48:51 AM »

ENOUGH OF THIS FOOLISHNESS!!!  I DECREE MYSELF TO BE ULTIMATE MOD. YOU ARE ALL BANNED!!!

There's a thread on that. laugh

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #449 on: October 18, 2013, 09:05:01 AM »

Sadly according to the poll thread I see a lot of people who consider this forum a pamphlet and a joke. They like to amuse on the rudeness level expressed on a Christian forum. I thought we were Christians, not barbarians.
OK whose alt account are you? Give it up please.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: