OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 09:15:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Will: Bug in my head  (Read 509 times) Average Rating: 0
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 11, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »

Heard a guy the other day: the only people EVER to have free will: Adam & Eve (and Jesus, of course).
Since the fall none have true free will due to the distortion since;
anyone know an Orthodox approach to this subject?

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »

Heard a guy the other day: the only people EVER to have free will: Adam & Eve (and Jesus, of course).
Since the fall none have true free will due to the distortion since;
anyone know an Orthodox approach to this subject?

No.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »

Who's the guy?

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »

In what sense do we not have free will?

If it's that we have limitations imposed upon us - ie. 10 Commandments, Love one another, turn the other cheek, do this, don't do that, etc., then Adam and Eve also had a restriction (don't eat the fruit from the ONE tree), and yet.....

In this situation we are the same as Adam/Eve.  We know right from wrong, and we can choose for ourselves.

In what other manner is our will limited?  Perhaps by our life situation. I would love a nice huge house, but, I cannot afford it.  Again, this is not a lack of free will, but, a result of the situation, era, society, etc., in to which you were born.

I don't know about you, but, I've got a ton of free will.  Some days I almost wish I had less, because my will often gets me in trouble!  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:08:05 PM »

Our will is impaired due to sin (Ancestral Sin) but it isn't non-existent.

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 05:23:17 PM »

I know some Calvinist folks who would say we have no free will because in our unregenerate state we are a slave to sin and must obey our master.

I assume the is the POV the OP is asking for folks here to address.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:40:19 AM »

I see free will as a matter of choosing between good and evil and we have that even after the fall. Liberty, on the other hand, would be the ability to do what one likes and we have lost much of that ability after the fall. Being slaves to sin and living in a harsh environment is definitely not liberty, for example, but choosing between good and evil can still be possible even in such conditions.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:41:03 AM by IoanC » Logged
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »

Imo, 'free will' is highly overrated.  I mean, look what we do with it.

Yes, yes, I know.  I apologize profusely.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »

We have free will and we have had it forever. 
Reharding the fall, I guess your friend forgot why Jesus died.  At the same time tjat has nothing to do with the free will but instead with the "ancestral sin".

Let me rephrase in case I came of unclear. We have free will. We can choose to be good or bad.  There are thing that impact our decisions but we are free to ignore those suggestions if we wish.  Ancestral sin did not eliminate the free will. It was actually a result of free will not being excercised correctly. We are free to act as we please but not everything we choose if of benefit to us.

You friend chose to mention that to you. You chose to post it here and I also freely (as other posters) chose to reply.

Predestination or any such thesis which promotes absence of free will i ilogical and depressing.  If an individual believes that he or she does not have free will then their life is pointless.  God would not create us as slaves. Demon does that.

God as any parent who loves their children advise and teaches us in what is good and what is not. As you can see we freely disobey God as we unfortunatelly do daily.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 12:10:12 AM »

It's because of humanity's propensity to death that they commit sin against themselves and the holiness of God.

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 04:44:36 AM »

It's because of humanity's propensity to death that they commit sin against themselves and the holiness of God.

Granted.  I just wish we'd spend a lot less time excusing our freely made choices. 

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 05:40:47 AM »

Correct. Martin Luther wrote a book called "Bondage of the Will," which asserted that apart from spiritual regeneration man's will is enslaved and cannot be freely exercised. This is obviously contrary to Orthodox doctrine. Man always has free will, but upon Baptism and Chrismation he receives the Holy Spirit and the special graces that empower him to more easily use his volition for good. But good and evil are always choices, and we are always responsible for those choices. We cannot say, "I was bound by sin and couldn't help it."

Selam
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:41:10 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:48:56 AM »

Correct. Martin Luther wrote a book called "Bondage of the Will," which asserted that apart from spiritual regeneration man's will is enslaved and cannot be freely exercised. This is obviously contrary to Orthodox doctrine. Man always has free will, but upon Baptism and Chrismation he receives the Holy Spirit and the special graces that empower him to more easily use his volition for good. But good and evil are always choices, and we are always responsible for those choices. We cannot say, "I was bound by sin and couldn't help it."

Selam

All too often, we can help it.  We choose not to.

Tags: free will 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: