OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 01:41:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Topic and Criticizing replys  (Read 5019 times) Average Rating: 0
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »

Another one thread why this board is bad?

Okay, here's your chance to make it "better".....http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,54184.new.html#new

I don't think the boards bad, if I did I wouldn't hang around. I just don't understand when some are told that what they're replying is offensive why they shrug their shoulders and ignore them. I'm not saying everyone needs to be a people pleaser just civil. Of course the very people this thread speaks of will probably continue to poke fun though.

I would say that I am aware of my own status as one of giving and taking quite a bit on this board.  Most of it is in good fun, but there are occasions when I get irritated with someone and say something that I probably shouldn't.  That being said, there are also those here who have a tendency to get rather melodramatic about things that they perceive to be offensive.  As a result, I tend to look more at who is telling me they are offended and then evaluate whether what I said was offensive.  There are people here that I value their opinions a great deal and there are people here that I have little respect for their opinions.  That isn't to say I hate the person, just that I find that they have a high level of immaturity, self-love, or similar that does not resonate well with me.

Also, oftentimes what you see as rudeness is the culmination of a rather long relationship between two people or a group of people. I read some of the things that I have responded to others in earlier posts and think, "wow, that came off rather harsh", but at the time, it was more just banter and matching of wits than anything else...

Could the boards be more civil?  Yes, probably so.  Could they be more inviting to newcomers and inquirers in particularly? I would say definitely so. I think if there is one thing that I would change it would be the coldness that is displayed to people who are interested in Orthodoxy, but haven't really taken any concrete steps.  All too often do I see inside jokes and banter thrown around in those threads, and that probably should not take place.  In all fairness, I am probably guilty of doing that myself, so I am pointing at myself on that as much or more than at anyone else.

Sounds like these boards are a fairly accurate representation of Orthodoxy to outsiders. Tongue

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »

Of course, it is sometimes annoying but my gosh, it's a conversation, isn't it? Even if it is online and not face-to-face. I don't really feel like it's up to me to dictate how other people talk, and sometimes you can learn something interesting, even if the topic goes way off. I tend to say whatever pops into my head anyway; things remind me of other things and sometimes it can be a bit confusing for anyone who's conversing with me, in real life.

Sounds a lot like what my beloved wife does!  Maybe it's a wimmen thing.  Grin

our minds just work faster....Wink

Uhhh............. Cheesy

You can do it!  I know you can.  Snappy comeback, GO!

Men good. Wimmin bad. Ugh, Ugh.  *scratches butt*

Please wash that hand before posting!
*picks nose*

Don't eat it!

Actually, booger-eaters have increased immunity to disease over non booger-eaters. There was a study. (I'm waiting for another study to say that booger eating is still disgusting, regardless of the alleged immunity boost given by booger eating.)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »

The ultimate subject of all conversations.

I was so disappointed to find out that velociraptors were that small. If I find enough fossilized velociraptor DNA in amber-trapped mosquitoes, I'm so going to make them as big as they were in Jurassic Park. And train them to open all manner of doors. And unleash them in Las Vegas with little cameras on their heads to stream the mayhem live to You Tube.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 08:08:15 PM »

I was so disappointed to find out that velociraptors were that small. If I find enough fossilized velociraptor DNA in amber-trapped mosquitoes, I'm so going to make them as big as they were in Jurassic Park. And train them to open all manner of doors. And unleash them in Las Vegas with little cameras on their heads to stream the mayhem live to You Tube.

Especially since their head are apparently right at a man's crotch level.  Oh what jolly good entertainment that shall be!  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »

Especially since their head are apparently right at a man's crotch level.  Oh what jolly good entertainment that shall be!  Grin

No, no My genetically re-engineered velociraptors will be taller.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »

Warning, rant following.....

I don't understand why some reply to posts with anything but what the topic is about. Some even just post a reply that only complains about the topic for various reasons and some of those are to would-be converts. I mean if a topic bothers you because you've seen it before or because you think its stupid then why even read it? Why not just ignore it all together? We're supposed to be Christ-like and I just believe that our reply's should reflect that.

Stepping down off of soap box......

I don't read the Convert Forum posts very much, but I've seen things like this all over the forum, and I think you have a point.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »

Warning, rant following.....

I don't understand why some reply to posts with anything but what the topic is about. Some even just post a reply that only complains about the topic for various reasons and some of those are to would-be converts. I mean if a topic bothers you because you've seen it before or because you think its stupid then why even read it? Why not just ignore it all together? We're supposed to be Christ-like and I just believe that our reply's should reflect that.

Stepping down off of soap box......

I don't read the Convert Forum posts very much, but I've seen things like this all over the forum, and I think you have a point.

As I suggested, the OP should remain if the Convert Issues area if they would a more moderated environment. The mods (Thomas being in charge last time I checked) do a great job enforcing the rules there and everyone tends to abide by them anyway.

When I am caustic and realize it is convert issues, I delete it immediately.

People here tend to have many problems with social life in RL, that's OK, well if you can't manage an internet board that isn't held hostage to exactly how you want things, RL is never going to get better for you either.

This is a well moderated place. Christiannews or whatever is laughable with the hit and miss moderation.

Sorry, but I know the mods here take their jobs seriously and spend much time doing their jobs according the letter of the law set down here. Show a little gratitude.

And as a user, if you don't like a place, change it. I've been doing internetz for decades and have been hearing this stuff since day one, so here I offer you all what works if you don't like the content on a group or board:

Post higher quality content than what you find lacking.
Post most often.
Ignoring behavior you don't like is the best way to punish it.

Look at me, after all this is what this thread is basically about, so you are looking over here. I change this place in ways I think is better. The sanctimonious, uninteresting, non-challenging time suck that many threads can be get around here are altered often with a post or two by me into something I find more interesting.

Guess who is primarily responsible for doing that? The folks who complain about it. You offer the content I want. You just gotta be made to produce it.

I am not the only who is capable of doing this: Gebre, Habte, Achronos, Icondule, Isa, Romaios, PtA, William, JamesR, Marc, LBK, pasadi just quickly off the top of my head are able to do this as well in their own ways. And I don't like the content necessarily they provide or provoke.

If your post count on a board is above a few thousand posts and you are not able to control the flow of a board or your own reactions to it, some self-reflection is in order.

In short, be interesting. Not everyone can be. And not everyone is going to tell you are.

That's OK.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthodox4life

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »

As I suggested, the OP should remain if the Convert Issues area if they would a more moderated environment. The mods (Thomas being in charge last time I checked) do a great job enforcing the rules there and everyone tends to abide by them anyway.

I don't think moderating the rules is what we're talking about and I agree that the rules are watched well. I think we're mostly talking about how people speak to each other. There's not really a forum rule about being rude. When I was a potential convert I remember debating beliefs and some here all but got into arguments with me. Because this board was my first impression of Orthodoxy, I almost left and never entered the faith.

Also there are many here, myself included, who are new to Orthodoxy. I've asked a couple of questions where I was spoken to like I was an idiot.

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2013, 12:14:27 AM »

I don't think moderating the rules is what we're talking about and I agree that the rules are watched well. I think we're mostly talking about how people speak to each other. There's not really a forum rule about being rude. When I was a potential convert I remember debating beliefs and some here all but got into arguments with me. Because this board was my first impression of Orthodoxy, I almost left and never entered the faith.

Also there are many here, myself included, who are new to Orthodoxy. I've asked a couple of questions where I was spoken to like I was an idiot.

I am glad that you stayed. I have received a couple of good bye PMs here at OC.net from ex-catechumens who finally decided that enough was enough. They went back to their Baptist or Catholic Churches.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2013, 01:40:20 AM »

You have to admit that there are a few posters who simply love to belittle others at any and every opportunity they get.

It's not part of fruitful discussion.  In fact, it closes down the discussion because the other party is now humiliated, angered, or simply intimidated from replying further.

Being nice to someone, speaking politely, not belittling others,....is not a sign of weakness. 

Being rude and obnoxious is not a sign of intelligence or superiority.

+1

The 'off topicness' stuff is just part of a discussion board.

The other part does not -have- to be.

Amen Liza! Well said.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2013, 04:13:00 AM »

You have to admit that there are a few posters who simply love to belittle others at any and every opportunity they get.

It's not part of fruitful discussion.  In fact, it closes down the discussion because the other party is now humiliated, angered, or simply intimidated from replying further.

Being nice to someone, speaking politely, not belittling others,....is not a sign of weakness.  

Being rude and obnoxious is not a sign of intelligence or superiority.
You forgot to mention those who simply stop their input to prevent the tongue lashing others deserve in order not to be like them and the ones who ignore certain posters.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:24:06 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2013, 04:16:49 AM »

I am glad that you stayed. I have received a couple of good bye PMs here at OC.net from ex-catechumens who finally decided that enough was enough. They went back to their Baptist or Catholic Churches.

Because they didn't like OC.net? That's weird.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2013, 04:22:45 AM »

And if (when) people reject Orthodoxy because of this behavior, they (Orthodox) will be held responsible for their actions.  It's good you were able to work through the gratuitous slurs and remarks.  I wonder how many didn't.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:27:30 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 04:26:43 AM »

No, because people here represent Orthodoxy and when a large number of Orthodox people act like farm animals no one wants to join the church filled with hypocrites.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 07:32:24 AM »

No, because people here represent Orthodoxy and when a large number of Orthodox people act like farm animals no one wants to join the church filled with hypocrites.
"When a large number of Orthodox people"... SRSLY? How large is that group of Orthodox who post here, compared to the total number of Orthodox in the world? To be honest, I'm not sure I would want joining the Church anyone who takes such a tiny sample of Orthodox nerds as representative of the whole of the Orthodox Church.
orthodox4life

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »

"When a large number of Orthodox people"... SRSLY? How large is that group of Orthodox who post here, compared to the total number of Orthodox in the world? To be honest, I'm not sure I would want joining the Church anyone who takes such a tiny sample of Orthodox nerds as representative of the whole of the Orthodox Church.

Who are we to pick and choose who's to become Orthodox. It's our Fathers Church. We have to ask ourselves, would God want them?

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2013, 09:01:31 AM »

Who are we to pick and choose who's to become Orthodox. It's our Fathers Church. We have to ask ourselves, would God want them?
Some, for whatever reason, appear incapable of seeing the big picture.  There seems to be a lot of "self" being promoted instead of "others".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:07:24 AM by Kerdy » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »

I see this site as kind of a family.  We fight and bicker with each other, but we also are there for each other and help one another when someone is going through a tough time. Regardless of the people that I fight with here, I'm glad that they are here and provide their perspective.  I'm happy when someone new joins the family and gets involved in discussion, but this isn't church.  We can discuss the silly, mundane parts of our lives as well as the important life altering parts.  If this forum was merely for educational purposes only to learn about Orthodoxy, I would say it doesn't do a great job of that.  But that is not the purposes of the forum.  If I wanted that, I would go somewhere like Monachos where it is more educationally oriented.

I like what Orthonorm said a few posts back.  Each of us are responsible for guiding and directing any particular thread that we are a part of.  If you don't like the direction it is going, don't gripe or condescend; redirect it.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »

I see this site as kind of a family.  We fight and bicker with each other, but we also are there for each other and help one another when someone is going through a tough time. Regardless of the people that I fight with here, I'm glad that they are here and provide their perspective.  I'm happy when someone new joins the family and gets involved in discussion, but this isn't church.  We can discuss the silly, mundane parts of our lives as well as the important life altering parts.  If this forum was merely for educational purposes only to learn about Orthodoxy, I would say it doesn't do a great job of that.  But that is not the purposes of the forum.  If I wanted that, I would go somewhere like Monachos where it is more educationally oriented.

I like what Orthonorm said a few posts back.  Each of us are responsible for guiding and directing any particular thread that we are a part of.  If you don't like the direction it is going, don't gripe or condescend; redirect it.
Very well put. I find I'm becoming more selective in the threads that I follow. I will give many of them a look at first, but later avoid them when discussion goes in a direction that doesn't interest me. Some topics don't interest me right from the beginning so I don't even start with them.

As for individual members of the board, I think I've been around long enough (both here and in life) to see where people are coming from. Some annoy me, some challenge me, some inspire me. I choose how I'm going to react. One thing I don't do as often as I should is be openly appreciative of messages that I find of value.

If all of us were gathered physically in one room, there would be a few chummy cliques, a few shouting matches, lots of [beverage of choice], many of us floating around the room getting involved in different discussions, a few wallflowers, even the occasional grandstander. Sounds like any large group gathering to me.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »

^^ Exactly. To add to it, I would find it highly suspicious they were even catechumens anyway since going to church is a whole lot different than posting on OC.net.

Who decides not to go to a church because of what they find on an online message board??

Do you seriously have to put up a disclaimer saying: "THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH, blah blah blah"?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:18:54 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »

^^ Exactly. To add to it, I would find it highly suspicious they were even catechumens anyway since going to church is a whole lot different than posting on OC.net.

Who decides not to go to a church because of what they find on an online message board??

Do you seriously have to put up a disclaimer saying: "THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH, blah blah blah"?

We do live in a world where such disclaimers are commonplace in advertising, especially automobile ads.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »

We do live in a world where such disclaimers are commonplace in advertising, especially automobile ads.

I'm thinking more "Surgeon's General Warning"

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthodox4life

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »

Some, for whatever reason, appear incapable of seeing the big picture.  There seems to be a lot of "self" being promoted instead of "others".

Sadly I believe you're right. I'd put a forum on my site and moderate tighter if I could get the same traffic.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »

Sadly I believe you're right. I'd put a forum on my site and moderate tighter if I could get the same traffic.

You have to start somewhere. The traffic here is pretty low. Thing is I've seen this happen many, many times. The sanctimonious folks on forums really have nothing to offer or say or generate in terms of interest. When they start up new and "more polite" forums, those places die and they lurk back with the "mean" folks before joining back in.

BTW, once another forum went another route and banned me and a handful of others for "personality differences". Guess what? The place was ghost town within a year. People really didn't like visiting a place where people just agreed about the trivialities of being nice. Most people have nothing to say or offer. The personality difference ended up being between having one and not.

The third outcome is having lotsa turn over by "newbies" / converts / whatever to a place where the same thread gets made every other day.

There is nothing stopping you from creating your own forum. Heck, maybe your "church" when it doesn't live up to you own expectations. Who knows?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »

Very well put. I find I'm becoming more selective in the threads that I follow. I will give many of them a look at first, but later avoid them when discussion goes in a direction that doesn't interest me. Some topics don't interest me right from the beginning so I don't even start with them.

As for individual members of the board, I think I've been around long enough (both here and in life) to see where people are coming from. Some annoy me, some challenge me, some inspire me. I choose how I'm going to react. One thing I don't do as often as I should is be openly appreciative of messages that I find of value.

If all of us were gathered physically in one room, there would be a few chummy cliques, a few shouting matches, lots of [beverage of choice], many of us floating around the room getting involved in different discussions, a few wallflowers, even the occasional grandstander. Sounds like any large group gathering to me.

Forbid that nuance and sense being allowed to happen in this thread.

Really, there is no nicer way of putting the point here.

orthodox4life

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »

People really didn't like visiting a place where people just agreed about the trivialities of being nice. Most people have nothing to say or offer. The personality difference ended up being between having one and not.

I don't think anyone expects us all to agree on everything. The issue is that when we disagree that we treat one another with respect.

You have to start somewhere.

You are about that. I'm giving it consideration.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:01:02 PM by orthodox4life » Logged

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »

orthonorm secretly posts on warriorcatsrpg.com all day

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »

Wow I didn't know Stormfront was still around.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2013, 12:31:22 AM »

Is one a catechumen before inquiry, before research, prior to asking any questions?  If not, you missed the point by a huge margin. 
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2013, 02:46:17 PM »

Very well said.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »

WARNING: Getting all or most of your Orthodoxy from the Internet may be harmful or fatal to your spiritual health.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »

WARNING: Getting all or most of your Orthodoxy from the Internet may be harmful or fatal to your spiritual health.

Post of the month nominee.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »

Post of the month nominee.
Nomination seconded.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »

You really do give me a good ideas for photoshops

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: