OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:31:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Topic and Criticizing replys  (Read 2972 times) Average Rating: 0
orthodox4life

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« on: October 11, 2013, 07:33:35 AM »

Warning, rant following.....

I don't understand why some reply to posts with anything but what the topic is about. Some even just post a reply that only complains about the topic for various reasons and some of those are to would-be converts. I mean if a topic bothers you because you've seen it before or because you think its stupid then why even read it? Why not just ignore it all together? We're supposed to be Christ-like and I just believe that our reply's should reflect that.

Stepping down off of soap box......

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »

Warning, rant following.....

I don't understand why some reply to posts with anything but what the topic is about. Some even just post a reply that only complains about the topic for various reasons and some of those are to would-be converts. I mean if a topic bothers you because you've seen it before or because you think its stupid then why even read it? Why not just ignore it all together? We're supposed to be Christ-like and I just believe that our reply's should reflect that.

Stepping down off of soap box......

Post in Convert Issues where the rules of discussion are more to what you appear to expect from others. Just don't tell robe your expectations with the mantle of Christ.

I literally work on a soap box, so I am rarely off one.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthodox4life

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:39:05 AM »

Just don't tell robe your expectations with the mantle of Christ.

Its not my expectations of being Christ-like that anyone should be concerned with.

literally work on a soap box, so I am rarely off one.

I hear ya

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 07:42:31 AM »

Just don't tell robe your expectations with the mantle of Christ.

Its not my expectations of being Christ-like that anyone should be concerned with.
No, it's your definition of Christlike that people should be worried about.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »

Of course, it is sometimes annoying but my gosh, it's a conversation, isn't it? Even if it is online and not face-to-face. I don't really feel like it's up to me to dictate how other people talk, and sometimes you can learn something interesting, even if the topic goes way off. I tend to say whatever pops into my head anyway; things remind me of other things and sometimes it can be a bit confusing for anyone who's conversing with me, in real life.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »

Of course, it is sometimes annoying but my gosh, it's a conversation, isn't it? Even if it is online and not face-to-face. I don't really feel like it's up to me to dictate how other people talk, and sometimes you can learn something interesting, even if the topic goes way off. I tend to say whatever pops into my head anyway; things remind me of other things and sometimes it can be a bit confusing for anyone who's conversing with me, in real life.
Yep! And peppered with mockery and derision for good measure, too!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »

Of course, but in a live group dynamic (at least as I remember them since they don't occur much anymore), silence would often fall over the group as all eyes would gaze at once upon the one with the snappy non-sequitors or attempts at humor. The collective power of the evil eyes of the group glaring at the offender would clearly project a message of 'Are you kidding me?'

It's tougher to keep it up live and in person for most of us. Keyboards or tablets make it simple.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »

Of course, but in a live group dynamic (at least as I remember them since they don't occur much anymore), silence would often fall over the group as all eyes would gaze at once upon the one with the snappy non-sequitors or attempts at humor. The collective power of the evil eyes of the group glaring at the offender would clearly project a message of 'Are you kidding me?'

It's tougher to keep it up live and in person for most of us. Keyboards or tablets make it simple.

I love these theories. I am rather "popular" and I ain't much different than I am here. People here tend to be a bit more wound up than the lot I meet. In fact, I am "worse" in person, whatever that means.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I think you two are on to something.  Conversations are always derailed in real life; it's weird to think that wouldn't happen online.  A word or comment will spark someone's memory and they'll want to share it and before you know it, we're talking about the migration patterns of lemming when the topic was transubstantiation. Smiley The only thing that bothers me is the mockery and derision.  And I'm one of the one's that brings it (although I've resolved to curb it).  But even then, a responder may be just teasing a poster but because we can't see expressions or hear vocal tones, it's all too easy to misunderstand.  I have no answers but to pray for the strength to overlook others' weaknesses and to work on ourselves.  Undecided

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I think you two are on to something.  Conversations are always derailed in real life; it's weird to think that wouldn't happen online.  A word or comment will spark someone's memory and they'll want to share it and before you know it, we're talking about the migration patterns of lemming when the topic was transubstantiation. Smiley The only thing that bothers me is the mockery and derision.  And I'm one of the one's that brings it (although I've resolved to curb it).  But even then, a responder may be just teasing a poster but because we can't see expressions or hear vocal tones, it's all too easy to misunderstand.  I have no answers but to pray for the strength to overlook others' weaknesses and to work on ourselves.  Undecided

You are probably correct that without the visual cues or vocal  tones or body language to accompany off-putting or seemingly irrelevant remarks (emoticons are cheesy and do not do the same) it is tough to understand what some of us mean. An interjection of wit or an off-putting comment in person can often place a derailed conversation back on line. So, I suppose putting up with stuff we don't always get is part of the quirky charm of this site as opposed to some other sites which are either always histrionic or dreadfully dull and pedantic.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »

I love these theories. I am rather "popular" and I ain't much different than I am here. People here tend to be a bit more wound up than the lot I meet. In fact, I am "worse" in person, whatever that means.
I express my thoughts much better in writing than in speech.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 12:44:48 PM »

You have to admit that there are a few posters who simply love to belittle others at any and every opportunity they get.

It's not part of fruitful discussion.  In fact, it closes down the discussion because the other party is now humiliated, angered, or simply intimidated from replying further.

Being nice to someone, speaking politely, not belittling others,....is not a sign of weakness. 

Being rude and obnoxious is not a sign of intelligence or superiority.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 01:02:08 PM »

You have to admit that there are a few posters who simply love to belittle others at any and every opportunity they get.

It's not part of fruitful discussion.  In fact, it closes down the discussion because the other party is now humiliated, angered, or simply intimidated from replying further.

Being nice to someone, speaking politely, not belittling others,....is not a sign of weakness. 

+1

The 'off topicness' stuff is just part of a discussion board.

The other part does not -have- to be.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »

A voice of reason in an unreasonable and infantile age.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »

A voice of reason in an unreasonable and infantile age.

Quite true and in a real conversation, it is much easier to 'freeze' a jerk with a good "middle school librarian" stare, a few choice words and a sigh. 
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »

Sounds a lot like what my beloved wife does!  Maybe it's a wimmen thing.  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »

our minds just work faster....Wink

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 02:22:01 PM »

It's true. laugh

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »

Uhhh............. Cheesy

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »

Sounds a lot like what my beloved wife does!  Maybe it's a wimmen thing.  Grin

No kidding! At our recent Toastmasters district speech and evaluation contests, the winner of the speech contest was the only woman who competed, and all of the top 3 speech evaluators were women. It was kinda humbling for us men.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:27:49 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »

Uhhh............. Cheesy

You can do it!  I know you can.  Snappy comeback, GO!

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »

Uhhh............. Cheesy

Men good. Wimmin bad. Ugh, Ugh.  *scratches butt*

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »

Uhhh............. Cheesy

Please wash that hand before posting!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »

Uhhh............. Cheesy

Huh Huh Huh

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »

Uhhh............. Cheesy

*picks nose*

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 02:43:07 PM »

Uhhh............. Cheesy

*picks nose*

Don't eat it!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 02:45:44 PM »

Uhhh............. Cheesy

*picks nose*

And..........for your next trick................**

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »

And now the 'why does everything always go off topic' topic, has gone off topic.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »

*flings booger at topic*

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »

*flings booger at topic*

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 02:51:07 PM »

And now the 'why does everything always go off topic' topic, has gone off topic.

Quick and painless!  Grin Grin

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »

Quick and painless!  Grin Grin
I don't really care for apples.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »

Pathetic. Huh
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »

The ultimate subject of all conversations.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 03:30:26 PM »

Pathetic. Huh
Huh?  Huh

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »

Wait, did I wander into the random postings thread without knowing it?  Wink

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »

+1  Huh

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »

Wait, did I wander into the random postings thread without knowing it?  Wink

Uhhh................... Cheesy  "Religious" is the new Random.

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »

It's true. laugh

I'm not so sure it's that women's minds work faster as it is that y'all just aren't listening!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »

It's true. laugh

I'm not so sure it's that women's minds work faster as it is that y'all just aren't listening!

You're not my wife, are you? Grin Shocked

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »

Another one thread why this board is bad?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »

Okay, here's your chance to make it "better".....http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,54184.new.html#new
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 04:23:16 PM by J Michael » Logged

orthodox4life

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 06:56:55 PM »

Okay, here's your chance to make it "better".....http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,54184.new.html#new

I don't think the boards bad, if I did I wouldn't hang around. I just don't understand when some are told that what they're replying is offensive why they shrug their shoulders and ignore them. I'm not saying everyone needs to be a people pleaser just civil. Of course the very people this thread speaks of will probably continue to poke fun though.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »

I don't think the boards bad, if I did I wouldn't hang around. I just don't understand when some are told that what they're replying is offensive why they shrug their shoulders and ignore them. I'm not saying everyone needs to be a people pleaser just civil. Of course the very people this thread speaks of will probably continue to poke fun though.

Some members say the most egregious and stupid things without thinking of the other person.  I oughtta know; I'm one of them.  But I'm determined that no matter what someone says that might irk me, I'm going to be kind and civil.  At least I'm going to try my best.  I even wrote a song about it called "Kindness Back".

♫ I'm bringin' kindness back (yeah!)
    Them other posters don't know how to act (yeah!) ♫

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »

I would say that I am aware of my own status as one of giving and taking quite a bit on this board.  Most of it is in good fun, but there are occasions when I get irritated with someone and say something that I probably shouldn't.  That being said, there are also those here who have a tendency to get rather melodramatic about things that they perceive to be offensive.  As a result, I tend to look more at who is telling me they are offended and then evaluate whether what I said was offensive.  There are people here that I value their opinions a great deal and there are people here that I have little respect for their opinions.  That isn't to say I hate the person, just that I find that they have a high level of immaturity, self-love, or similar that does not resonate well with me.

Also, oftentimes what you see as rudeness is the culmination of a rather long relationship between two people or a group of people. I read some of the things that I have responded to others in earlier posts and think, "wow, that came off rather harsh", but at the time, it was more just banter and matching of wits than anything else...

Could the boards be more civil?  Yes, probably so.  Could they be more inviting to newcomers and inquirers in particularly? I would say definitely so. I think if there is one thing that I would change it would be the coldness that is displayed to people who are interested in Orthodoxy, but haven't really taken any concrete steps.  All too often do I see inside jokes and banter thrown around in those threads, and that probably should not take place.  In all fairness, I am probably guilty of doing that myself, so I am pointing at myself on that as much or more than at anyone else.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: