Author Topic: Media Computer  (Read 867 times)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
Media Computer
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:14:25 PM »
Playing off the raspberry pi thread, anyone here have a very minimal set up they are happy with? I am getting tired of having this beat up laptop I have do a ton of stuff. Been thinking about finding a solution to basically play my video and music files, the former being the most important. I saw some cheap Blu-Ray machines on amazon which have a USB input and have most of your typical codecs on board and you can just plug in your hard drive and go.

The interfaces are pretty ridiculous, but I don't need anything spectacular. My buddy has one and I gave him a drive with Breaking Bad and I dropped a variety of codecs on it and they played without a hitch.

Wondering out loud and wondering what you all are doing.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
Re: Media Computer
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »
So wait a blu-ray stand-alone player via USB...and you want to play them on your laptop? What's your resolution?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
So wait a blu-ray stand-alone player via USB...and you want to play them on your laptop? What's your resolution?

No.

I am talking about various methods of getting video files I download of my many hours of family films to play without using my computer.

Just wondering if other people have some ideas. The blu-ray thing is one cheap way. I am not sure there even simpler ways, more robust, etc.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »
Maximum PC magazine does occasional stories about building media center PCs for $500 or less.

I'm sure one can build a *nix based media center PC for $500 or less.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 10:30:32 PM »
Like this?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
I just remembered this site:

Assassin Performance HTPC's
http://assassinhtpc.com/

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »
^ That was a suggestion for a real media computer

What you seem to be talking about is like an external drive.

So uh just burn them to blu-ray writer and load them onto a Blu-Ray player?

Unless you want to have some sort of GUI to switch between music and video. More robust obviously not the burning idea.

Either we go the Raspberry Pi XBMC route or HTPC. You'll like the XBMC, completely open source and customizable.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:44:30 PM by Achronos »

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »
Two words: Intel NUC

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »
The best and most simple way is to get a blu ray player with a usb input.  BE SURE that it supports MANY types of video codecs such as divx, xvid, mkv, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, etc. etc.  Then all you have to do is dump the video on a flash drive and stick it in the player.

The raspberry pi makes an okay media center... I dunno though, I'd go the player route.   Amazon will have something for you that would be inexpensive..... I'd do that over the pi.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »
^ I think the openELEC I posted in that other thread would be something he would enjoy. It looks like a real slick media center IMO.

Otherwise I'm not so sure I would recommend the Pi either.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:18:41 PM by Achronos »

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »
^ I think the openELEC I posted in that other thread would be something he would enjoy. It looks like a real slick media center IMO.

Otherwise I'm not so sure I would recommend the Pi either.

Yeah, that's a slick interface and all...   But I'm going to say something that is the most slothy thing that exists  8)

The remote control.  On the pi you have to get off the couch and click a mouse.  If you have a blu-ray w/compatible codecs, you can be as sluggard as you want.  haha.

Yeah the Pi... I dunno.... It's an okay tinker thing.   I bought it and said "cool".... then "meh"....  now it kind of sits there and I think "someday I may do something with that".....  someday.......

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 01:58:38 AM »
X-box?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »
X-box?

Many go that route too, and aren't there "hacks" that allow you to get Netflix as well through x-box?

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »
X-box?

Many go that route too, and aren't there "hacks" that allow you to get Netflix as well through x-box?
Not even a hack, it is officially supported.

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 12:34:35 PM »
I have Dell Vostro desktop PC.

Offline Dejan

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »
Have you tried an Android stick? https://www.miniand.com/products/MK802%20Android%20Mini%20PC
you can plugin your usb drive and access the data using a familiar interface.