OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 12:38:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO on Constantinople III (or other post-Chalcedon councils)  (Read 816 times) Average Rating: 0
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« on: October 10, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »

Would the Oriental Orthodox Church have difficulty accepting Constantinople III as ecumenical? Are the condemnations of monoenergism and monothelitism seen as opposed to your Christology, or are those ideas problematic to you as well?

(I mention just Constantinople III because as far as I know, Constantinople II is generally considered a good thing insofar as it blocked possible Nestorian interpretations of Chalcedon, while I can't imagine OOs objecting to Nicea II, but if there are issues with either of those, or with some of the other post-Chalcedon councils occasionally thought of as ecumenical, I'd like to hear about them as well.)

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:42:33 PM »

From what I understand the OOs don't like Chalcedon (that much is obvious) but they are fine with the post-Schism interpretations of Chalcedon that come from the other Ecumenical councils.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:48:11 PM »

Would the Oriental Orthodox Church have difficulty accepting Constantinople III as ecumenical? Are the condemnations of monoenergism and monothelitism seen as opposed to your Christology, or are those ideas problematic to you as well?

(I mention just Constantinople III because as far as I know, Constantinople II is generally considered a good thing insofar as it blocked possible Nestorian interpretations of Chalcedon, while I can't imagine OOs objecting to Nicea II, but if there are issues with either of those, or with some of the other post-Chalcedon councils occasionally thought of as ecumenical, I'd like to hear about them as well.)

These later councils include and assume the acceptance of Chalcedon, and explicitly condemn Dioscoros and Severus, which is a non-starter for most OO.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:58:26 PM »

These later councils include and assume the acceptance of Chalcedon, and explicitly condemn Dioscoros and Severus, which is a non-starter for most OO.

That is also true, I know that post-Schism councils even anathematize Jacobites.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »

actually we are happy with most of the conclusions of the post chalcedon 1 councils and we also oppose monoenergism and monothelitism.
you won't find that much from OO sources on those councils for the same reason you don't find much orthodox literary critique on calvinism versus arminianism (a debate which happened outside both the eastern and oriental orthodox churches).
the councils happened at events the OO were specifically not invited to, and they were busy evangelising their countries more then commenting on events outside their juristiction.
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: Old Belief?
Jurisdiction: Antiochian?

"Петр [Мартюшев] говорит им: иду ловить рыбу."

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »

I recall, months ago and in some thread or another, an accusation being made that Pope Shenouda's On the Nature of Christ actually argued in favor of monothelitism. Nothing came of it and no one argued in one way or another but is this true?

If it is, how would the rest of the Orient respond?

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »

It could be taken that way, honestly (there is a section subtitled "The One Will and the One Act"), and I think it is likely to be so taken by EO who do not understand miaphysite Christology. It is important to reiterate here that why we are "mia" physites and not "mono" physites is that the oneness that is spoken about in Christological discussions among OO is not a simple oneness such that we could say that Christ has only one of the two natures spoken of by both OO and EO in different contexts (we could not say, for example, that Christ is solely divine and not human), or in any way a hybrid or mixed nature (this can be confirmed by simply reading the liturgical texts that we employ, particularly the priest's confession in the Coptic Basil). Rather it is one nature in which, at their union in the incarnation, the humanity and divinity are united inseparably in the person of Jesus Christ, such that it is no longer appropriate or even possible to treat the humanity and the divinity as being in any way separate or separatable (as is prayed in the Syrian Fraction [emphasis added]: "One is Emmanuel our God who cannot be divided after the union; there is no division into two natures - thus we believe, thus we confess, and thus we affirm that this body belongs to this blood, and this blood belongs to this body"). It is a deeply incarnational Christology, and nothing that follows from it can be understood without first understanding this context in which later writings are composed.

Given that, it is written in the referenced booklet of HH Pope Shenouda (I don't know the translation or page number, since I only have it in PDF form):

We believe in One Will and One Act:
Naturally, as long as we consider that this Nature is One, the Will and the Act must also
each be one. What the Divine nature Chooses is undoubtedly the same as that chosen
by the human nature because there is not any contradiction or conflict whatever
between the will and the action of both.

Again, this could be looked at as "monothelitism", but only if one did not understand the Christology of the Church -- that the one nature is not divinity without humanity or humanity without divinity. In fact, even in the quote itself, you can see a sort of "round about" meeting with Chalcedonianism that I would think EOs, if they are willing not to cast us immediately into the flames for having written "We believe in one will", would be most receptive to and hopefully likely to agree with, particularly when HH writes "What the Divine nature chooses is undoubtedly the same as that chosen by the human nature because there is not any contradiction or conflict whatever [sic] between the will and the action of both." This strikes me as being essentially the same as the explanations I have read from EO writers, historical and modern, concerning this controversy: Christ is not schizophrenic, and for those who believe in dyophysitism, this is evidenced by the fact that His human will is in perfect unity with His divine will. And for the miaphysites, this is even less of a problem, as there is no sense in which He may divided such that the human and the divine would be considered to operate separately.

I hope this clears things up, and if I have written anything incorrect I invite my OO brothers and sisters to correct me on this account. (I have not read much from OO that touches upon this topic, probably because we were out of the picture by the time the Chalcedonians solved this amongst themselves, so there could be something I'm misunderstanding here.)

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »

One is the person who wills and acts, as the God-Man.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »

thanks, dzheremi, that's beautifully explained and this is what we believe.
Daniel Smith

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 07:24:34 PM »

So then, the Miaphysites did not put forward the concept of Monothelitism? are there any Miaphysite bishops from the 7th century explicitly rejecting it? J/C.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »

So then, the Miaphysites did not put forward the concept of Monothelitism? are there any Miaphysite bishops from the 7th century explicitly rejecting it? J/C.

Monothelitism originated among the Greeks and Latins, so no, we didn't put it out there first. 

I could be absolutely wrong, but I doubt there are any 7th century OO bishops who wrote about it one way or the other "just because"; if it affected our Church, however, perhaps it was dealt with.  I don't know. 

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »

Actually, one of the strong proponents of Monotheletism was a persecutor of non-Chalcedonian Copts and an inappropriate negotiator with the prophet of Islam.  The name "Mukawkus" is as every bit caustic to the ears of a Copt (who knows his/her history and who reads the Coptic Synexarium) as is the name "Hitler" to the Jews.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 01:49:58 AM »

Wow. Muqawqis was a proponent of monothelitism? I didn't know that. Gross.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »

Wow. Muqawqis was a proponent of monothelitism? I didn't know that. Gross.

He's also better known by EOs as the infamous Cyrus of Alexandria.  It's really sad that a common enemy of EOs and Copts became the final nail on the coffin for any talks between EOs and Copts as well as the "welcoming" invasion of Islam afterwards in reaction to the Byzantine Roman association of Muqawqus.

The aHadith stories of "Mariam el-Qiptiya" (Mary the Copt) of being one of Mohamed's favorite concubines was a direct result of Muqawqus' diplomatic agreements with the prophet so as not to attack Egypt, which was short-lived when Mohamed died and Amr ibn el-Aas came by.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:05:01 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 10:16:26 PM »

...ibn el-Aas came by.

Is it wrong that I read that real fast and in a mix of Arabic, Spanish, and English, yielding "Son of the Ass"? 

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »

...ibn el-Aas came by.

Is it wrong that I read that real fast and in a mix of Arabic, Spanish, and English, yielding "Son of the Ass"? 

Funny story...my father was in grammar school, and when they were translating the Muslim conqueror of Egypt, they did initially write "Ass" before they realized they have a problem....lol!  Aas or 'As are usually the generally accepted spellings.

But you can also think of it as a built-in feeling for the Egyptian non-Muslims who later regretted the "Muslim welcome"  Wink

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »

To build on the Muqawqus story, he is mentioned in our Synexarium in the story of the famous St. Samuel the Confessor (who rigidly opposed the council of Chalcedon), who had quite a remarkable story.  First beaten by a Byzantine envoy, then beaten by Cyrus himself, then beaten by desert pagan Berbers, and he survived to found a monastery that exists under his name to this day (monks of the monastery are called "El Samweeli") as well as legend has it that he prophesied the Muslim Arab invasion.  In one of his beatings, he lost an eye, which is how he is depicted in iconography.

He is commemorated on the 17th of December (8th of Kiahk) in the Coptic calendar.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:32:36 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 10:50:05 PM »

I love St Samuel. 

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Tags: Constantinople III one will 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: