OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 07:45:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What old sitcoms are you watching?  (Read 1995 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: October 09, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »

Question's in the thread title, but I want to clarify that I don't mean old old. Any show that's been around for at least 5 or 10 years qualifies.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »

"Corner Gas", a wonderful Canadian sitcom created by & starring Brent Butt. Google it. Also, every episode is on Youtube now.   Cool

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:32:03 PM »

I'll start things off (edit: or keep things goings Smiley) ...

- Cheers

- Everybody Loves Raymond

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »

30 Rock. All seven seasons are on Netflix now! Cheesy

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »

Family Ties via Netflix.  I bet your ^ show rocks.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:24:20 PM by Gamliel » Logged
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »

I caught my wife watching "Mad About You" with Helen Hunt and Paul whats his name. Funny

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »

Family Ties via Netflix.  I bet your ^ show rocks.  Smiley

Tried Family Ties a year or so ago. For my taste it was just too ... well, something.

30 Rock. All seven seasons are on Netflix now! Cheesy

Indeed. I've seen the first 6 seasons. I'll be getting back to it one of these days.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »

I caught my wife watching "Mad About You" with Helen Hunt and Paul whats his name. Funny

You do have the worst taste.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »

A few months I watched all of Seinfeld.

It was surprising how much story arc was there. Having seen it in syndication here and there, it was a nice treat. Made it more brillianter with great callbacks.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 12:08:23 AM »

It ain't old. But the last installation of 30 Rock hit streaming. Getting ready to start that.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »

To prove to myself I was beyond my time, I've been revisiting Soap! and trying to decide whether to go through with someone else. I actually liked it before I was in kindergarten.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 12:11:48 AM »

Now that all the competing interests have cleared up the legal morass, the Larry Sanders Show is finally available in its totality rather than the chopped Best of we had to make due with for a decade.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:02 AM »

Until MeTV shifted their Fall schedule, I was watching Rhoda.  Now, I'm stuck with Gilligan's Island (if that can be considered a sitcom).
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 03:56:51 AM »

I always enjoyed that one.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 03:59:42 AM »

The Andy Griffith Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Frasier
Seinfeld
King of Queens
Taxi
M*A*S*H*

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 08:34:29 AM »

The Andy Griffith Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Frasier
Seinfeld
King of Queens
Taxi
M*A*S*H*

Selam

Taxi . . . another good one.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »

Until MeTV shifted their Fall schedule, I was watching Rhoda

I saw a couple of those back in (?) the late 90s. Might get into it someday.

A couple years I tried another MTM-spinoff, Lou Grant. Kinda liked it, but after 5 or 6 episodes I decided it didn't have enough substance for an hour-long show.

katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »

One of my favorite old shows is "Night Court"
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »

Did you see their "reunion" episode on 30 Rock  Cool?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 08:32:13 PM »

Did anyone ever watch Get a Life with Chris Eliot? I'm not sure if was really a good show but I really enjoyed it as a kid. Especially the episode where he build a submarine in his bath tub.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »

Frasier via Netflix.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »

Barney Miller
WKRP

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 12:31:45 AM »

Did anyone ever watch Get a Life with Chris Eliot? I'm not sure if was really a good show but I really enjoyed it as a kid. Especially the episode where he build a submarine in his bath tub.

Werd. I love him on Letterman when he was bit player. "The Fugitive Guy" was classic.

I was born an insomniac.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »

Barney Miller
WKRP

The first has music which drives me to want to jump off a bridge and the claustrophobia I get from the set design is intense.

The second, I dunno. Outside of Soap! I am trying to think of a 70s sitcom that I liked. Again I was like 6 when I saw this stuff.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 12:53:22 AM »

Werd. I love him on Letterman when he was bit player. "The Fugitive Guy" was classic.

I was born an insomniac.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with Get a Life. But I do enjoy Chris Eliot, all the way back to his days on Letterman. Sure, he plays the same character in every role, but he does it so well and he cracks me up every time. I have really come to appreciate actors who know what they're good at doing at stick with that. Unlike Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who was pretty much born to play Phillip Seymour Hoffman (and is darn good at it), but feels the need to prove his versatility and winds up being a ham.

Selam

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 01:09:28 AM »

I was born an insomniac.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with Get a Life. But I do enjoy Chris Eliot, all the way back to his days on Letterman. Sure, he plays the same character in every role, but he does it so well and he cracks me up every time. I have really come to appreciate actors who know what they're good at doing at stick with that. Unlike Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who was pretty much born to play Phillip Seymour Hoffman (and is darn good at it), but feels the need to prove his versatility and winds up being a ham.

Selam

You have to see at least one episode. It's hilarious in a bad and good way as I remember it. If you like Christ Elliot, you'll like it.

The opening credit sequence is great.

To PSH, what has he done, you think is hammy? Which reminds me, I have to still watch The Master. I've had a stack of screeners from the Academy for forever I keep forgetting about.

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 01:35:19 AM »

Fawlty Towers

Cheers

Frasier

Scrubs

30 Rock

I hereby reserve space in this thread for the day Community stops being saved from cancellation at the very last minute- I rewatch old seasons of that every summer hiatus.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 01:57:05 AM »

I was born an insomniac.

Selam

You have to see at least one episode. It's hilarious in a bad and good way as I remember it. If you like Christ Elliot, you'll like it.

The opening credit sequence is great.

To PSH, what has he done, you think is hammy? Which reminds me, I have to still watch The Master. I've had a stack of screeners from the Academy for forever I keep forgetting about.

I think he was still within his element when he did Doubt and Pirate Radio. But he lost me with the Truman Capote thing. And I confess, I didn't see it. But judging from the trailer, it looked horrible. My prejudices about Truman Capote aside, it just seemed obvious that PSH was trying to act like somebody else. It's the old adage about if you can tell they're acting, then it's not very good acting.

As for The Master, yes, I've been looking forward to your thoughts on it. I liked it very much. Not the greatest movie ever, but well worth watching. It did a good job of portraying the cult of personality. The theme of the movie applies equally to religious cults and politics.

But PSH is a great actor, and he's been is some very good movies. So I don't mean to say that he's a ham. Just that on occasion he gets too far out of his element. But he can be forgiven. His resume is impressive, and he's earned the right to stretch it a bit.

Selam

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 06:05:25 AM »

I don't watch TV--pulled it out in 2010.  I do have my favorites from back in the day, though, that I buy on DVD:

MASH
Fresh Prince
Night Court
Wings
Jack Benny
Roseanne (until they had Dan 'wander' and Roseanne winning the lottery)
Barney Miller
Watched Rhoda and all the Lucys

Otherwise enjoyable series King of Queens, Home Improvement, and Everybody Loves Raymond were spoiled for me somewhat by lead male characters drawn to be wimpy, whipped, and inept. 

And I just discovered completely by accident an old show--not a sitcom--called Wanted Dead or Alive with a very young Steve McQueen.  I'm now on the lookout for the second season. 

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 10:58:41 AM »

Wings

I gave Wings a tried a couple years ago, but only got through the first few episodes. (But it was interesting to finally see "Around the world in 80 years" because it was discussed in a homily I heard 20 or so years ago.)

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »

I never had cable TV, and was always limited to whatever came across the antenna.

With digital, there are more channels.  Some of these show reruns of oldies but, goodies.

I've been able to watch some old shows I never had seen before like:

Hazel
Bachelor Father
Father Knows Best
Dennis the Menace

Grin

...and I thoroughly enjoy them!!!!  I would rather watch the old B/W's over the modern stuff, any day of the week!!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »

Well, I don't watch that many sitcoms these days, but I do have a lot of good memories from growing up in the 90s:

The Cosby Show
Home Improvement
Everybody Loves Raymond
That ´70s Show
Friends
Keeping Up Appearances
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:29:04 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »

None. I tried some when I was still living with my parents but all seemed fairly bad. Never had TV once I moved out.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »

I never had cable TV, and was always limited to whatever came across the antenna.

With digital, there are more channels.  Some of these show reruns of oldies but, goodies.

Hazel
Bachelor Father
Father Knows Best
Dennis the Menace

Grin

...and I thoroughly enjoy them!!!!  I would rather watch the old B/W's over the modern stuff, any day of the week!!!!

Yes, I agree!  My husband is too frugal to pay for cable or satellite tv so I had to go through withdrawal at first.  So now it's PBS and old shows coming over OTA broadcast of ME TV and Antenna TV.

I fall into the Gen X category regarding age..... but I don't like the darkness that seems to be in modern tv shows.   (The big loss in our house has been when ME TV stopped showing Lassie recently. ) 
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »

Roseanne

I can't believe no one has said it yet. It is perhaps the greatest sitcom of all time. I love the fact that unlike The Cosby Show and Leave it to Beaver for example, Roseanne does NOT glamorize the world and present a perfect, pseudo 1950s household with absolutely no problems or suffering. Roseane is good because it's gritty, it breaks the stereotypes, it's crude, and presents humanity for what it really is. The parents are fat and can't run their household, the whole family is dysfunctional, the sister Jackie is high all the time or something, they live in a depressing town with real problems, and aren't afraid to be politically incorrect or touch upon serious issues.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »

It ain't old. But the last installation of 30 Rock hit streaming. Getting ready to start that.

Excellent choice.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 04:51:24 AM »

I gave Wings a tried a couple years ago, but only got through the first few episodes. (But it was interesting to finally see "Around the world in 80 years" because it was discussed in a homily I heard 20 or so years ago.)

Ironic, since I always hated Wings when it was still being produced.  Tried several times to make it through an episode, and it struck me as just a soap opera with an occasional joke.  Not sure what changed, but years after it went into syndication, I started to really get into it, especially the character of Antonio Scarpacci. 

"We are all sitting in ducks!"

Easily, my favorite character.  Here's a youtube of a scene where they're having a paper airplane competition:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2S47otA-TQ

And then another scene with Roy Biggins giving Antonio dancing lessons.  Fast forward to 2:25, and make sure you don't have any food in your mouth when you press 'play':  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inSnj-ObfvU

I could just sit here and do nothing but post youtubes from Wings.  Here's another one: Antonio's bleak outlook on life:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgWo-i6qgks

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 06:24:32 AM »

Roseanne

I can't believe no one has said it yet. It is perhaps the greatest sitcom of all time. I love the fact that unlike The Cosby Show and Leave it to Beaver for example, Roseanne does NOT glamorize the world and present a perfect, pseudo 1950s household with absolutely no problems or suffering. Roseane is good because it's gritty, it breaks the stereotypes, it's crude, and presents humanity for what it really is. The parents are fat and can't run their household, the whole family is dysfunctional, the sister Jackie is high all the time or something, they live in a depressing town with real problems, and aren't afraid to be politically incorrect or touch upon serious issues.
LOL I didn't even see this post and I was actually watching it yesterday.

Roseanne doesn't like when people say that show portrays "blue collar" because she thinks it obfuscates the class.

Roseanne

Still funny, clever and witty. If I could get me a woman half the smart as Roseanne, but with a different body I'd be set for life.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:27:05 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 06:33:10 AM »

Hazel
Bachelor Father
Father Knows Best
Dennis the Menace

Grin

And here I was thinking you were a regular of the DIY network Wink

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 06:52:03 AM »

.....that, too!  Grin

But, only the channels that still come over the air.

I'm not wasting money on cable/dish.  There aren't enough hours in the day to actually "do" stuff and "watch" stuff....so, if I'm not going to be able to get my bang for the buck, why waste the buck?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »

Ironic, since I always hated Wings when it was still being produced.  Tried several times to make it through an episode, and it struck me as just a soap opera with an occasional joke.  Not sure what changed, but years after it went into syndication, I started to really get into it, especially the character of Antonio Scarpacci.  

"We are all sitting in ducks!"

Easily, my favorite character.  Here's a youtube of a scene where they're having a paper airplane competition:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2S47otA-TQ

Thanks for the link. I knew Tony Shaloub was in it, but I didn't get far enough in the series.

Actually, though, I thought the linked Galaxy Quest deleted scenes were better (fans of The Office might notice someone):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b4s5CfPD4Y

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 07:32:07 AM »

Did you see their "reunion" episode on 30 Rock  Cool?

Yes, I recall liking it. (Though I never saw Night Court.)

Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 11:03:19 PM »

I absolutely LOVE The Golden Girls! Still funny after all these years. Friends too (is that considered old?  Wink )
And I have Three's Company on dvd - my parents' favorite show after they immigrated from Greece and I grew up on it. And I Love Lucy - my favorite actress of all time.

I don't watch ANY primetime tv. Garbage.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »

And I have Three's Company on dvd - my parents' favorite show after they immigrated from Greece and I grew up on it.

+1, except that my parents didn't emigrate from Greece.  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »

You do have the worst taste.

The episode I saw had Helen Hunt's sister admitting to their liberal parents that she is in love with a guy. To that point she had been a lesbian and since her parents are so liberal they were very disappointed and didn't know what to say to their friends.. Having a lesbian daughter apparently gave them some status.

I say that's funny. 

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: