OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:44:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halloween and Children  (Read 2872 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »

The post Sunday evening services, coffee and dessert made by me for 20 people was worse than lunch.

Forget that the check was nothing and I prepared all the food and drinks, they tipped even less. And I was highest tipped server at that restaurant.
I didn't know you worked at IHOP

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2013, 10:47:50 PM »

It's a simple concept really. Give the kids some good candy along with something that is spiritually edifying. After all, this is the one time of year when people come and knock on your door and ask you for something. Seems kind of silly to boycott Halloween and waste such a wonderful opportunity to share our Orthodox Faith. It would also seem pretty rude to give the kids a gospel tract instead of candy. And it seems equally absurd to criticize giving out spiritual literature along with some good treats. Halloween is a great opportunity to show people that we Orthodox Christians are people of generosity and conviction.

Just plain wrong.
Bolded for hilarity.

That's the kind of generosity Orthodox display, the night you are expected to give out free candy to kids.

It makes up for a year's worth of not giving to the poor.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »

The post Sunday evening services, coffee and dessert made by me for 20 people was worse than lunch.

Forget that the check was nothing and I prepared all the food and drinks, they tipped even less. And I was highest tipped server at that restaurant.

I didn't.

We didn't even have them. Although my mother did when I was very little.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »

I didn't.

We didn't even have them. Although my mother did when I was very little.
It's a joke.

Most people from church used to hit up the breakfast places. Village Inn, Bob Evans, Eat N Park, etc.

Village Inn was sort of a Sunday ritual.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »

Gebre,

Ignore the youngster, he is sad that he can't make it to happy hour . . . I keep thinking it is Friday.

I have a question for you. It is off topic, but one which I've been curious about since I am going to die of a heart attack any day now and certainly if people want to stop people like me from getting access to health care in the off chance I make it to February. So yes everyone, I've been denied access to service over the last months which could cost me my life. Make all this stuff more interesting for me. So keep that in mind in the other part of this forum.

Anyway,

What sorta dietary limitations do you follow given your heart stuff?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »

It's a simple concept really. Give the kids some good candy along with something that is spiritually edifying. After all, this is the one time of year when people come and knock on your door and ask you for something. Seems kind of silly to boycott Halloween and waste such a wonderful opportunity to share our Orthodox Faith. It would also seem pretty rude to give the kids a gospel tract instead of candy. And it seems equally absurd to criticize giving out spiritual literature along with some good treats. Halloween is a great opportunity to show people that we Orthodox Christians are people of generosity and conviction.

Just plain wrong.
Bolded for hilarity.

That's the kind of generosity Orthodox display, the night you are expected to give out free candy to kids.

And what part of my statement indicates that we aren't supposed to be generous all year long?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »

Just plain wrong.
Bolded for hilarity.

And what part of my statement indicates that we aren't supposed to be generous all year long?
Relax, I'm just messing with you.

I just found it funny Halloween is a night where you show generosity as a witness to your faith.

No harm intended.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »

Gebre,

Ignore the youngster, he is sad that he can't make it to happy hour . . . I keep thinking it is Friday.

I have a question for you. It is off topic, but one which I've been curious about since I am going to die of a heart attack any day now and certainly if people want to stop people like me from getting access to health care in the off chance I make it to February. So yes everyone, I've been denied access to service over the last months which could cost me my life. Make all this stuff more interesting for me. So keep that in mind in the other part of this forum.

Anyway,

What sorta dietary limitations do you follow given your heart stuff?

I never eat beef or pork. I occasionally eat free range chicken, but rarely because I can't afford it. I do eat a lot of canned Tuna, and my wife does a good job of finding Salmon on sale from time to time. I love fish, but it's expensive. I only use olive oil for cooking. Canola/olive oil blend sometimes. But I don't eat nearly as healthy as I should, and financial restrictions are a big part of that. It's criminal how expensive it is to truly eat healthy. I avoid anything with more than 1 gram of saturate fat. Saturated fat is poison to someone with my condition.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »

It's criminal how expensive it is to truly eat healthy.
Which is why if we ever get universal healthcare, cheaper and better access to eat healthier should be a top priority.

My budget would double if I was to eat healthy on a consistent basis.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »

Just plain wrong.

Care to explain what's wrong? Is it wrong to give out candy on Halloween? Is it wrong to share the Gospel? Is it wrong to use a pagan holiday as an opportunity to make children happy and spread the Faith at the same time? If this is your idea of wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2013, 11:20:55 PM »

I can admire your conviction, but I honestly think that there are much better places to share the faith. These are children being chaperoned house-to-house by their parents, in the dark, expecting nothing other than candy. They'll put up with the comments on their costumes, but they have no interest in staying to chat, whether the topic is Spiderman or Saint Spyridon. And it's just weird when you hand them "reading materials" with their treats. There's no context; suddenly a strange person has given them this heavy religious literature that they probably can't even comprehend. And are their parents going to appreciate you "sneaking" your religious agenda into what is usually just a neutral exchange? Honestly, I just think that the gesture, as goodhearted as it is, may cause more damage than good.

My brother, can we not apply a little common sense here? Be nice to the kids, give them candy, compliment their costumes, be friendly to the parents, and give them something spiritually edifying as well. Maybe you can print out icons to give them. Maybe you can write a tract like I did. Maybe you can simply say "Be safe, and God bless you." Whatever. We don't have to engage them in a discussion in an effort to convert them. We don't have to "sneak" anything in their goody bags. That's not what I have advocated. I give the kids candy and I put the tract in their bags and tell them to give it their parents. Or if the parents are present, I give the tract to them directly. But I make sure to give the kids lots of candy, and I try to be as friendly as I can be. Actually, my own children do most of it, handing out the candy and passing out the tracts. They enjoy it very much.

For goodness sakes, have we gotten to the point where we are afraid to share the Faith from our own doorsteps? Yes, some people will inevitably be offended anytime we share our Faith. The Gospel itself is an offense to those who are perishing. And yes, we should be diplomatic, kind, and tactful in the ways we promote the Orthodox Faith. And I think Halloween is a great opportunity to tactfully, kindly, and diplomatically share the Gospel. But that's just my opinion.

Selam

lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2013, 11:43:41 PM »

My brother, can we not apply a little common sense here? Be nice to the kids, give them candy, compliment their costumes, be friendly to the parents, and give them something spiritually edifying as well.

This is all fitting behavior for a Christian, but what separates the last bit from the rest is that it's an overt advertisement for your faith, whereas the rest is a good demonstration of it. If you live in a small neighborhood, don't you think it's better if your neighbors think:

"Oh, the Pattersons, they're really nice people. They're some kind of Christian, aren't they? Maybe we should invite them over for dinner to get to know them more."

versus:

"Oh, the Pattersons, they tried to hand us out some religious tracts, during Halloween of all times! I don't want to have anything to do with those weirdos!"

Granted, it's possible that your neighbors will receive the tracts well, but I would much rather err on the side of caution. This is a secular society, and many secular people have been burned by religion. If they witness such overt proselytizing, they might be seriously turned off.

On a personal level, I just don't find it appropriate to hand out religious tracts to people who are coming to me for entirely different reasons. And I would feel uncomfortable receiving such a tract, even if I shared the person's faith.

Maybe you can print out icons to give them. Maybe you can write a tract like I did. Maybe you can simply say "Be safe, and God bless you." Whatever. We don't have to engage them in a discussion in an effort to convert them. We don't have to "sneak" anything in their goody bags. That's not what I have advocated.

I have no problem saying "God bless you" to someone, and if I had icons hanging where you could see them from my doorstep, I would not feel obligated to put them down out of fear of offending someone. But these are very natural things; they don't come off as forced or awkward, like handing out a tract is in most situations.

Also, my apologies, I didn't mean to accuse you of underhanded tactics. I'm projecting what I experienced with "tract-stuffers" growing up.

For goodness sakes, have we gotten to the point where we are afraid to share the Faith from our own doorsteps? Yes, some people will inevitably be offended anytime we share our Faith. The Gospel itself is an offense to those who are perishing. And yes, we should be diplomatic, kind, and tactful in the ways we promote the Orthodox Faith. And I think Halloween is a great opportunity to tactfully, kindly, and diplomatically share the Gospel. But that's just my opinion.

I can appreciate your approach to this, and I honestly wish you and your family God's blessings on your evangelism. However, I think there's a wide divide between hiding the Faith and handing it over to someone who doesn't necessarily want it, at least at the moment, on a platter.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:48:21 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2013, 11:50:35 PM »

Just plain wrong.

Care to explain what's wrong? Is it wrong to give out candy on Halloween? Is it wrong to share the Gospel? Is it wrong to use a pagan holiday as an opportunity to make children happy and spread the Faith at the same time? If this is your idea of wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Selam

I've already explained in this thread why I think attempts to religiously brainwash stranger children are wrong. Not to mention you will miserably fail.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:51:56 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »

Not to blow my own horn, but when I was little I would come home with my bag stuffed with treats and proceed to give it away to kids coming to the door, of course I ate some and kept some, but I was happiest giving it to them. I was never that big on candy, except chocolate bars.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2013, 01:15:10 AM »

Not to blow my own horn, but when I was little I would come home with my bag stuffed with treats and proceed to give it away to kids coming to the door, of course I ate some and kept some, but I was happiest giving it to them. I was never that big on candy, except chocolate bars.

Make it Reese's and I am with you.

Holiday were always overrated in my opinion except Orthodox Easter and Thanksgiving with some folks who can cook.

And I like the Christmas season, but xmas itself was usually more of a drag.

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »

yuk! american chocolate!
 Wink
is soooo sweet i can't eat it.

as for eating healthily on a budget, it should not be too difficult.
when i was a (very) poor student, i just ate lentils (bought in bulk from indian stores), rice (same), vegetables in season (so in the uk, this was usually carrots, potatoes, cabbage and a little fruit) and plain sliced white bread. all extremely low in fat.
each meal of vegetable stew with lentils was a little different as i put different herbs and spices in each time.
when i visited my parents, i would ask for luxuries such as brocoli or fruit juice or occasional puddings (a luxury i did not allow myself in term time).
i had small amounts of dairy products and occasionally a little minced (ground) meat which was the cheapest available.
i lived on todays' equivalent of £20/week (around 25-30 US dollars).

i was very happy and healthy enough to cycle 50 miles (about 75km) a week.
if you would like cheap recipe ideas, please send personal message
 Smiley
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2013, 07:53:57 AM »

when i visited my parents, i would ask for luxuries such as brocoli

LOL!

Thank you for your offer, but I loved this part.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »

My favorite houses were the ones that had a huge bowl outside their doorstep with candy that had a sign that read "Please take ONLY one".

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2013, 08:21:13 AM »

Just plain wrong.

Selam

I've already explained in this thread why I think attempts to religiously brainwash stranger children are wrong. Not to mention you will miserably fail.
In the US, you get used to all kinds of different religious people trying to push themselves on you.  It mostly just rolls off like water on a ducks back.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »

Just plain wrong.

Selam

In the US, you get used to all kinds of different religious people trying to push themselves on you.  It mostly just rolls off like water on a ducks back.

I don't mind them doing that on me. I mind them doing that on children.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »

Maybe you can simply say "Be safe, and God bless you."

Thank you!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »

Halloween was always something of a trial for me. I was terribly near-sighted as a child, and glasses don't work well with most masks, so I either had to be a ghost (sheet with eyeholes cut out) or trust my little brother to lead me around (his idea of a joke was to lead me into a ditch!)

Also my mom would "check" my bag of candy and mysteriously, all the good chocolate like Hershey's would disappear, leaving me only with Mary Janes and homemade popcorn balls.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »

Holiday were always overrated in my opinion except Orthodox Easter and Thanksgiving with some folks who can cook.

OMG, common ground at last.  Shocked
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2013, 12:51:54 AM »

What if when you took kids out they (the kids) gave the homeowners/dispensers of candy, a little card that said "Thank you for your kindness and generosity" or something similar…maybe with a cross, a little quote or a comforting verse on it. Or something related to the remembrance of death "those constantly remember hell will never suffer it."  "Death to the world is the last true rebellion" It all sort of fits the "theme of the night.

If you are feeling adventurous attach a little stick of sugar free gum. That way the kids get practice in actually thanking someone.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2013, 01:05:42 AM »

OMG, common ground at last.  Shocked
We need to push it further into the ground...

Please say no to Christmas music. And Christmas decorations.

But not the Gingerbread Cookies.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2013, 01:46:21 AM »

This issue begs a question. If it's rude, untactful, and inappropriate to share the Gospel from our own doorsteps on Halloween, then what is the proper place and context to do so? At work? At school? On the subway? At the ball game? I imagine that people would find those contexts just as inappropriate, if not more so. So perhaps the only proper place to proclaim the Gospel is at Church. But then we have to face the fact that many people will be offended by the mere presence of a Church in their communities. So if it's inappropriate to share the Gospel from our own homes on Halloween, then it seems that there's probably no proper time or place to do so, because the mere proclamation of the Gospel will always cause offense to some.

And as for children, their hearts are much purer and thus much more receptive to the truth than many adults. So I see no reason why sharing the beauties of the Orthodox Faith with these little ones - along with candy - could possibly be a bad thing.

Now please understand, I completely agree with being tactful, polite, and honest in how we go about proclaiming and promoting our Faith. I certainly don't think subterfuge is conducive to furthering the Orthodox message. But I see nothing wrong with being assertive and strategic in sharing the Gospel, as long as our methods are loving and honest.

It just seems bizarre to me that some would actually support missionary efforts around the world while arguing against sharing the Faith from our own doorsteps.

Selam

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2013, 01:48:49 AM »

But then we have to face the fact that many people will be offended by the mere presence of a Church in their communities.

Are you serious?  Huh
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2013, 01:55:13 AM »

This issue begs a question. If it's rude, untactful, and inappropriate to share the Gospel from our own doorsteps on Halloween, then what is the proper place and context to do so? At work? At school? On the subway? At the ball game? I imagine that people would find those contexts just as inappropriate, if not more so. So perhaps the only proper place to proclaim the Gospel is at Church. But then we have to face the fact that many people will be offended by the mere presence of a Church in their communities. So if it's inappropriate to share the Gospel from our own homes on Halloween, then it seems that there's probably no proper time or place to do so, because the mere proclamation of the Gospel will always cause offense to some.

And as for children, their hearts are much purer and thus much more receptive to the truth than many adults. So I see no reason why sharing the beauties of the Orthodox Faith with these little ones - along with candy - could possibly be a bad thing.

Now please understand, I completely agree with being tactful, polite, and honest in how we go about proclaiming and promoting our Faith. I certainly don't think subterfuge is conducive to furthering the Orthodox message. But I see nothing wrong with being assertive and strategic in sharing the Gospel, as long as our methods are loving and honest.

It just seems bizarre to me that some would actually support missionary efforts around the world while arguing against sharing the Faith from our own doorsteps.

Selam

It seems that if there is one place that you should be able to understandably feel free to share the Gospel is at your own doorstep.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2013, 02:37:34 AM »

Selam

Putting your religion into children minds is cheap. Try to reach adults.

Sorry, I forgot it requires at least some effort and skill.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2013, 02:46:48 AM »

Selam

Putting your religion into children minds is cheap. Try to reach adults.

Sorry, I forgot it requires at least some effort and skill.

But it is ok for the state to make them pledge allegiance to a flag, and sing the national anthem.

Let me just say that if someone is sending their kids to his doorstep for free candy, they are the one who is cheap if they get offended by what they are given.
 Also let us wonder what the Jewish kids  and other religion are supposed to think of our displays for Christmas and the mass marketing done by all the businesses all over which is  much more prevalent and insidious in this world.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:02:00 AM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2013, 03:04:15 AM »

But it is ok for the state to make them pledge allegiance to a flag, and sing the national anthem.

It's equally stupid. On the other hand it does not imply changing children's religious beliefs.

Let me just say that if someone is sending their kids to his doorstep for free candy, they are the one who is cheap if they get offended by what they are given.

No, it's your tradition. Children visit you, you give them sweets. Not start to proselytize about some obscure Middle-Eastern half-pagan cult. If you can't get one with the rules, do not play.

And I have one more question for those who hand out icons or whatever: How do you feel when you pick up all those creased icons from your lawn? How do you feel 99% of the icons you give to children will appear in trashbins the very same evening?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:06:23 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2013, 03:09:29 AM »

It's equally stupid. On the other hand it does not imply changing children's religious beliefs.

No, it's your tradition. Children visit you, you give them sweets. Not start to proselytize about some obscure Middle-Eastern half-pagan cult. If you can't get one with the rules, do not play.

And I have one more question for those who hand out icons or whatever: How do you feel when you pick up all those creased icons from your lawn? How do you feel 99% of the icons you give to children will appear in trashbins the very same evening?

Yes , but is his house and telling him not to spread the Gospel is just as wrong. There were people when I was a kid who would talk about religion with me in our neighborhood, they were just being friendly as the above is doing.

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »

you can hand out religious pictures. not consecrated icons.
i forgot to get some yesterday, will try to remember next sunday.

will keep u posted as to whether anyone actually knocks on the door this year (i move house most years, so don't know what will happen)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2013, 03:57:13 AM »

But then we have to face the fact that many people will be offended by the mere presence of a Church in their communities.

Are you serious?  Huh

If you think the world has and will always tolerate Churches, then you are woefully ignorant of history.

Even today, here in the "Bible Belt," the depiction of the Cross is being banned.
http://americanoverlook.com/town-to-ban-cross-over-fear-it-will-offend-muslims/103488

Selam

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »

Are you serious?  Huh

If you think the world has and will always tolerate Churches, then you are woefully ignorant of history.

Even today, here in the "Bible Belt," the depiction of the Cross is being banned.
http://americanoverlook.com/town-to-ban-cross-over-fear-it-will-offend-muslims/103488

Selam

The article does not say "the depiction of the cross is being banned". It is saying that some people in the town feel the building of a 110-foot cross might offend certain non-Christians. Big difference.  police

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2013, 04:23:37 AM »

building of a 110-foot cross

Hilarious.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:23:50 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2013, 04:31:22 AM »

Are you serious?  Huh

Selam

The article does not say "the depiction of the cross is being banned". It is saying that some people in the town feel the building of a 110-foot cross might offend certain non-Christians. Big difference.  police

It should offend Christians as well. No need to be that tacky when attempting to spread the faith. Roll Eyes

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2013, 04:32:32 AM »

Are you serious?  Huh

Selam

But you asked me if I was serious about Churches causing offense to some in the community. This is just one example of how expressions of the Christian Faith are inevitably offensive to some.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:58 AM »

Are you serious?  Huh

Selam

It should offend Christians as well. No need to be that tacky when attempting to spread the faith. Roll Eyes

So you are the arbiter of what is tacky? With respect, that seems a bit self righteous.

Selam

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2013, 04:34:37 AM »

Poland has biggest Jesus:

This is just one example of how expressions of the Christian Faith are inevitably offensive to some.

They offend aesthetics. Both of Christians and non-Christians alike.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2013, 04:36:01 AM »

Poland has biggest Jesus:

This is just one example of how expressions of the Christian Faith are inevitably offensive to some.

They offend aesthetics. Both of Christians and non-Christians alike.

So say the Puritanical iconoclasts. Be careful what you condemn brother.

Selam

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2013, 04:36:34 AM »

Are you serious?  Huh

Selam

So you are the arbiter of what is tacky? With respect, that seems a bit self righteous.

Selam

Arbiter? Get off the high horse. That thing in the picture would be tacky as a desk ornament, let alone larger-than-life.

Michal, that one's truly an eyesore. Ow.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2013, 04:37:42 AM »

Are you serious?  Huh

Selam

Selam

Arachne is entitled to her opinion, is she not? FWIW, I happen to agree with her esthetic assessment.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2013, 04:44:43 AM »

Be careful what you condemn brother.

Kitch mixed with megalomania.

Michal, that one's truly an eyesore. Ow.

Indeed.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2013, 04:46:48 AM »

Are you serious?  Huh

Selam

Selam

Arachne is entitled to her opinion, is she not? FWIW, I happen to agree with her esthetic assessment.

I appreciate how you guys are proving my point. You see, there are plenty of people who consider the mere presence of an Orthodox Church in their community to be tacky. So I'm still trying to get an answer as to why nobody should be offended by missionaries overseas or the construction of Orthodox Churches, but they should be offended by spiritual literature passed out with candy on Halloween. Please provide an objective explanation. Thanks.

Selam

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: