OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 05:27:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican tells bishops not to reform faster than Francis (on Marriage)  (Read 1263 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »

I see what you did there.  Cheesy

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »

Does anyone else not think it's a good idea? I mean, casual divorce is so common now that it needs to be preached against, not facilitated.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »

Does anyone else not think it's a good idea? I mean, casual divorce is so common now that it needs to be preached against, not facilitated.
I think this, like sooo many other recent things involving the Pope, is spun into something it really isn't and given a little time we will see what was really meant.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »

Good point. We get so wrapped up in comparing and contrasting the merits of trees, we often lose sight of the forest. Whether we debate the qualities and merits of ecclesiastical annulment or divorce, the truth remains as you noted.

But how a church treats those whose marriages fail in terms of inclusion sacramentally after the marriage fails is important with or without remarriage being an issue.  
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »

" Amid rising expectations that the Catholic church might make it easier for divorced and remarried members to receive Communion, the Vatican's highest doctrinal official reaffirmed church teaching barring such persons from the sacrament without an annulment of their first sacramental marriage.
The prefect's article also addressed the Eastern Orthodox practice of allowing second or third marriages even when the first is sacramentally valid, a practice Pope Francis mentioned without endorsing when speaking to reporters in July.

"This practice cannot be reconciled with God's will, as expressed unambiguously in Jesus' sayings about the indissolubility of marriage," the archbishop wrote. "

How do the Eastern Catholics deal with this?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:04:36 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »

" Amid rising expectations that the Catholic church might make it easier for divorced and remarried members to receive Communion, the Vatican's highest doctrinal official reaffirmed church teaching barring such persons from the sacrament without an annulment of their first sacramental marriage.
The prefect's article also addressed the Eastern Orthodox practice of allowing second or third marriages even when the first is sacramentally valid, a practice Pope Francis mentioned without endorsing when speaking to reporters in July.

"This practice cannot be reconciled with God's will, as expressed unambiguously in Jesus' sayings about the indissolubility of marriage," the archbishop wrote. "

How do the Eastern Catholics deal with this?

Well obviously that Archbishop didn't get the emails about ecumenism.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »

I didn't know the Vatican was so strongly against that Eastern Orthodox practice. Interesting.

The wag in me wants to point out all the Orthodox things the Vatican seems to oppose, starting with good liturgy... Tongue

Seriously, though, the only things I'm aware of in which the Vatican opposes the Orthodox are in the realm of marriage and sexuality.  Even in terms of papal primacy, they seem more likely to adjust, redefine, etc., but they are very strident in these matters.  

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »

I think the time to fight against casual divorce is before the marriage takes place. That will be an uphill battle, I think, because our society tends to take a more casual attitude towards marriage now than in times past. "Til death do you part" with the mental addendum "as long as things are going fairly well".

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: