Author Topic: Vatican tells bishops not to reform faster than Francis (on Marriage)  (Read 1924 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
Re: Vatican tells bishops not to reform faster than Francis (on Marriage)
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »
Does anyone else not think it's a good idea? I mean, casual divorce is so common now that it needs to be preached against, not facilitated.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
Does anyone else not think it's a good idea? I mean, casual divorce is so common now that it needs to be preached against, not facilitated.
I think this, like sooo many other recent things involving the Pope, is spun into something it really isn't and given a little time we will see what was really meant.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »

Good point. We get so wrapped up in comparing and contrasting the merits of trees, we often lose sight of the forest. Whether we debate the qualities and merits of ecclesiastical annulment or divorce, the truth remains as you noted.

But how a church treats those whose marriages fail in terms of inclusion sacramentally after the marriage fails is important with or without remarriage being an issue.  

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »
" Amid rising expectations that the Catholic church might make it easier for divorced and remarried members to receive Communion, the Vatican's highest doctrinal official reaffirmed church teaching barring such persons from the sacrament without an annulment of their first sacramental marriage.
The prefect's article also addressed the Eastern Orthodox practice of allowing second or third marriages even when the first is sacramentally valid, a practice Pope Francis mentioned without endorsing when speaking to reporters in July.

"This practice cannot be reconciled with God's will, as expressed unambiguously in Jesus' sayings about the indissolubility of marriage," the archbishop wrote. "

How do the Eastern Catholics deal with this?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:04:36 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »
" Amid rising expectations that the Catholic church might make it easier for divorced and remarried members to receive Communion, the Vatican's highest doctrinal official reaffirmed church teaching barring such persons from the sacrament without an annulment of their first sacramental marriage.
The prefect's article also addressed the Eastern Orthodox practice of allowing second or third marriages even when the first is sacramentally valid, a practice Pope Francis mentioned without endorsing when speaking to reporters in July.

"This practice cannot be reconciled with God's will, as expressed unambiguously in Jesus' sayings about the indissolubility of marriage," the archbishop wrote. "

How do the Eastern Catholics deal with this?

Well obviously that Archbishop didn't get the emails about ecumenism.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »
I didn't know the Vatican was so strongly against that Eastern Orthodox practice. Interesting.

The wag in me wants to point out all the Orthodox things the Vatican seems to oppose, starting with good liturgy... :P

Seriously, though, the only things I'm aware of in which the Vatican opposes the Orthodox are in the realm of marriage and sexuality.  Even in terms of papal primacy, they seem more likely to adjust, redefine, etc., but they are very strident in these matters.  
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
  • Faith: Catholic in communion w/ EP
  • Jurisdiction: Syosset (Fourth Rome)
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »

I think the time to fight against casual divorce is before the marriage takes place. That will be an uphill battle, I think, because our society tends to take a more casual attitude towards marriage now than in times past. "Til death do you part" with the mental addendum "as long as things are going fairly well".
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14