OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 07:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the personalities of the Orthodox and the Catholics?  (Read 896 times) Average Rating: 0
johng3110

Faith: Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: OCA

Alaverdi cathedral and monastery, in Georgia

« on: February 14, 2005, 01:57:11 AM »

Hello, Everyone!

This is only my second post here, and I want to thank you for your willingness to hear my question.

What are the personalities of the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church?

Allow me to explain. In understand that there are theological differences between the two churches: the filioque, the role of the papacy, etc. I also understand there are historical differences: the Orthodox developed in the Eastern Roman Empire and its sphere of international influence, but the Catholics developed in the ruins of the Western Roman Empire. I also understand there are differences in rituals, liturgies, church architecture and so on.  

However, I am interested in the difference in the mindset or personality of these two churches. I am Catholic, but I have visited some Orthodox parishes, and I have known some Orthodox people here in the U.S. (Midwest). I have also read some materials about Orthodoxy and Catholicism. Each church (beyond its individual members and ethnicites) seems to have its own personality, but I have a difficult time expressing what those are. What do you think they are? Or, is my question based on a false assumption?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

--John

NULL
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 02:02:29 AM »

Well, can I give you a link of something I said a few days ago? It was aimed at differences between Orthodox and Catholics/Protestants, but I'd say roughtly the same even if you took the Protestants out of the mix.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
johng3110

Faith: Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: OCA

Alaverdi cathedral and monastery, in Georgia

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 02:13:07 AM »

Dear Paradosis,

Wow !  What an excellent post !  Thank you !

--John

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: