OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 04:13:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham radio bands are singing right now. The whole world is chattering.  (Read 2638 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 07:42:53 PM »

Here is a video of sunspot 1944 coming into view: one horrific dude

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2014/03jan14/ar1944_anim.gif?PHPSESSID=3kas8b1vrcj1l17pftchmotfj7

Oh, and we just had another M1.1 Solar Class Flare at 21:24 UTC (1:24 PM PST). Probably sunspot 1936 was responsible.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:43:15 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »

Am I the only ignorant boob who doesn't know what this thread is even about?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

It is all about astrophysics and how the solar radiation affects radio waves including Ham radio bands.

We have a huge Sunspot (1944) that will probably unleash M- and X-class flares (X-class flares can devastate electrical grids, GPS devices and satellites). A similar sunspot blasted the earth in what was called a Bastille Day event, or Act of God. Then there was the Carrington Day event of 1859 which caused the electrocution of some employees operating telegraph stations. It was way off the scale as scientists did not have any way of measuring that huge solar flare.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 11:28:04 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

It is about propagation, Andrew. Some people become distressed if they cannot propagate. Some people become distressed if they cannot monitor other people propagating. In other words, this is a very important thread for those that believe propagation is everything.

Personally, for me, this is the most peaceful and comforting thread here. It is my first stop if there is a new post.

I hope this clarifies somewhat.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

It is about propagation, Andrew. Some people become distressed if they cannot propagate. Some people become distressed if they cannot monitor other people propagating. In other words, this is a very important thread for those that believe propagation is everything.

Personally, for me, this is the most peaceful and comforting thread here. It is my first stop if there is a new post.

I agree. This thread has not become polemically charged, and is kind of fun, as it discusses the solar charges instead. When Ham radio operators are chatting away, it makes them happy. Incidentally, there is a monk at Mt. Athos who is a Ham radio operator. Opus, have you chatted with him yet?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 11:58:29 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I agree. This thread has not become polemically charged, and is kind of fun, as it discusses the solar charges instead. When Ham radio operators are chatting away, it makes them happy. Incidentally, there is a monk at Mt. Athos who is a Ham radio operator. Opus, have you chatted with him yet?

Hi Maria

I am not a Ham radio operator. I am a listener only and listen primarily late night on the 75/80 m Ham bands when I cannot sleep.

I do like this thread.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 02:42:16 AM »

Hi Maria

I am not a Ham radio operator. I am a listener only and listen primarily late night on the 75/80 m Ham bands when I cannot sleep.

I do like this thread.

Thanks.

My husband also listens to the Ham bands whenever he cannot sleep.

Oh and this in:

GIANT SUNSPOT: Sunspot AR1944, which appeared on January 1st, is one of the largest sunspots of the current solar cycle. It's so big, people are noticing it as a naked-eye blemish on the solar disk. Daisuke Tomiyasu sends this picture from Higashinada-ku, Kobe, Hyogo, Japan:

www.spaceweather.com

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 06:27:44 AM »

We just had an M1.3 class solar flare at 10:25 UTC (2:47 AM PST).

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_1m.html - dynamic plot uploads every minute

see also www.spaceweather.com but their site is not dynamic.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:28:39 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »

In addition to the two huge solar flares we experienced this morning:

X-ray Solar Flares
6-hr max: C9 1541 UT Jan04
24-hr: M1 1026 UT Jan04

(source www.spaceweather.com)

We also are being irradiated by an even larger M class solar flare, probably issuing from sunspot 1944.

So far it is at M4.0 at 19:42 UTC (11:45 AM PST). The entire USA is getting zapped.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/drap/global.html

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_1m.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:25:37 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2014, 01:49:15 AM »

FLARES LIKELY TODAY: Giant sunspot AR1944 has developed a 'beta-gamma-delta' magnetic field that harbors energy for potent Earth-directed eruptions. NOAA forecasters estimate a 75% chance of M-class flares and a 30% chance of X-flares on Jan. 5th.

www.spaceweather.com

Also a huge CME is most likely earth bound after the long M-4 solar flare we had today.
See the video at the above link. Apparently two sunspots, 1944 and 1936, both erupted.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:56 PM »

We have had multiple solar flares today, two huge C-class flares, one gigantic M-class flare, and an awesome X-flare.

Look at all the warnings that NOAA has issued:

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10145&p=60358#p60358

Our planet is hot today: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/drap/global.html -- it was even hotter when we had that X-flare.

Hubs says that radio communication is sporatic at best because of all the white noise generated from photon bombardments.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:14:59 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »

Space Weather Message Code: WATA50
Serial Number: 48
Issue Time: 2014 Jan 08 1214 UTC

NOAA Alert

WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G3 Predicted
Highest Storm Level Predicted by Day:
Jan 08: None (Below G1) Jan 09: G3 (Strong) Jan 10: G3 (Strong)
THIS SUPERSEDES ANY/ALL PRIOR WATCHES IN EFFECT
Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 50 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Power system voltage irregularities possible, false alarms may be triggered on some protection devices.
Spacecraft - Systems may experience surface charging; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites and orientation problems may occur.
Navigation - Intermittent satellite navigation (GPS) problems, including loss-of-lock and increased range error may occur.
Radio - HF (high frequency) radio may be intermittent.
Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as Pennsylvania to Iowa to Oregon.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html

And from www.spaceweather.com under the direction of Dr. Tony Phillips

The X1-flare that hurled the CME toward Earth also accelerated a swarm of high-energy protons in our direction.

The source of all this activity is AR1944, one of the biggest sunspots of the past decade. The sprawling active region is more than 200,000 km wide and contains dozens of dark cores. Its primary core, all by itself, is large enough to swallow Earth three times over. To set the scale of the behemoth, Karzaman Ahmad inserted a picture of Earth in the corner of this picture he took on Jan. 7th from the Langkawi National Observatory in Malaysia:

Go to www.spaceweather.com to see the movies and pictures taken of this behemoth sunspot 1944 and its companion 1946, which is also growing larger.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:22:05 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2014, 04:44:56 PM »

Here is the latest global plot for January 9, 2014 at 21:02 UTC. (1:02 pm PST)

We are still being bombarded by protons which were accelerated by the X-1 flare. Notice the red colored Arctic and Antarctic. Normally these areas are in black.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:46:43 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2014, 04:50:20 PM »

Here is a chart of all the recent alerts and warnings issued from NOAA:

To obtain the latest update, where you will see an interactive chart and can click the yellow and green bands as well as the blue triangles and red stars, please visit:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:50:57 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »

Ham radio bands are acting normal, but NOAA has not updated their solar graphs  for  over 12 hours now.

What has happened?

It is January 26, 2014, 02:26 UTC right now, but the last update was back on January 25, 2014 at 14:08 UTC.

NOTE: This graph is supposedly dynamic, and could suddenly be updated at any time, but right now it is dead,
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:09:52 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM »

We just had another M-flare about an hour ago. See the plot immediately above this post.
It looks like another solar flare is currently in progress.

Here is a shot of the culprit causing all these M-flares: former sunspot 1944 (now 1967)

Active sunspot AR1944, which produced many strong flares earlier this month, has returned from a two-week trip around the farside of the sun. It announced itself on Jan. 27th with an M4-class solar flare, shown here in an extreme UV image from the Solar Dynamics

Here is the global D-Rap showing the irradiation that the earth is currently experiencing.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:09:50 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2014, 02:40:34 AM »

We have had more solar flares that are increasing in strength with a recent M2.6 class solar flare.

Look at this culprit, Sunspot 1967, which is capable of producing X-Class solar flares by clicking the link below.

www.spaceweather.com

www.spaceweather.com under the direction of Dr. Tony Philip who works with NASA.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:45:07 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »

Awesome aurora from Norway.

CME IMPACT SPARKS AURORAS: A minor CME hit Earth's magnetic field on February 7th. The light show it produced was anything but minor. "BANG!" says Truls Tiller of Tromsø, Norway. "The sky exploded in auroras." In every direction he turned, he saw a scene like this:

www.spaceweather.com

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 03:33:15 AM »

We are having a geomagnetic storm according to www.spaceweather.com.

GEOMAGNETIC STORM IN PROGRESS: A minor geomagnetic storm is in progress on Feb. 18-19. The cause: Magnetic fields in the interplanetary medium have tipped south, opening a crack in Earth's defenses against the solar wind. High-latitude sky-watchers should be alert for auroras.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »

A minor geomagnetic storm was already in progress during the early hours of Feb. 19th when a CME struck Earth's magnetic field. The impact revved-up the storm and sent Northern Lights spilling across the Canadian border into the United States. Jonathan Schiralli sends this picture from Grand Rapids, North Dakota:

www.spaceweather.com

We just had an M-Class 3.0 flare early this morning, along with proton streaming, so conditions should be good for Ham Radio operators.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:56:22 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »

New Alert:

STORMY SPACE WEATHER: Space weather around Earth is stormy--and might get stormier in the days ahead. Our planet's magnetic field is reverberating from the second CME impact in as many days. According to NOAA forecasters, another CME could arrive late in the day on Feb. 20th followed by another on Feb. 22nd. For the most part, these CME impacts are minor and/or glancing. However, their combined effect is significant. A G1-class geomagnetic storm is now in progress so high-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras.

www.spaceweather.com

Are there any OC.net members from Scandinavia who are out watching for auroras?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2014, 05:25:28 PM »

Click to get full information about this Proton event: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html

Space Weather Message Code: WARPC0
WARNING: Proton 100MeV Integral Flux above 1pfu expected
Valid From: 2014 Feb 25 1315 UTC
Valid To: 2014 Feb 26 0115 UTC
Potential Impacts: An enhancement in the energetic portion of the solar radiation spectrum may indicate increased biological risk to astronauts or passengers and crew in high latitude, high altitude flights. ...

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »

There are a lot of Japanese radio operators doing "CQ contest" this morning on 40 meters. Looked up the names of a few of them.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »

A X1-Class solar flare that shot straight up and then made a hasty retreat resulted in a Magnetic Crochet.
This magnetic crochet released solar radio transmissions, so radio transmissions are not only man-made, but also can be produced by stars. Read more below:

IMPULSIVE SOLAR FLARE SCRAMBLES RADIO SIGNALS: On Saturday, March 29th, the magnetic canopy of sunspot AR2017 erupted, producing a brief but intense X1-class solar flare. A flash of extreme UV radiation sent waves of ionization rippling through Earth's upper atmosphere and disturbed the normal propagation of terrestrial radio transmissions. Radio engineer Stan Nelson of Roswell, NM, was monitoring WWV at 20 MHz when the signal wobbled then disappeared entirely for several minutes:

"The Doppler shift of the WWV signal (the 'wobble' just before the blackout) was nearly 12 Hz, the most I have ever seen," says Nelson.

The flare not only blacked out radio signals, but also produced some radio signals of its own. The explosion above sunspot AR2017 sent shock waves racing through the sun's atmosphere at speeds as high as 4800 km/s (11 million mph). Radio emissions stimulated by those shocks crossed the 93 million mile divide to Earth, causing shortwave radio receivers to roar with static. Here is a plot of the outburst detected by Nelson using a 20.1 MHz RadioJove receiver. Elsewhere, strong bursts were recorded at frequencies as high as 2800 MHz. It was a very broad band event.

To view the awesome videos of this spectacular solar flare, see the graph of the solar radio signals, and read the other articles, please visit:
http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=31&month=03&year=2014

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2014, 11:59:34 AM »

We just had a double solar X-flare:

DOUBLE X-FLARE: Forecasters expected an X-flare today, and the sun complied. The source, however, was unexpected. A new sunspot (AR2087) suddenly emerging from behind the sun's southeastern limb erupted twice, producing an X2.2-flare at 11:42 UT and an X1.5-flare at 12:52. This extreme ultraviolet image from the Solar Dynamics Observatory shows the first blast:

X-rays and UV radiation from the double flare created a wave of ionization in Earth's upper atmosphere, altering the normal propagation of radio transmissions over Europe. Rob Stammes recorded the sudden ionospheric disturbance (SID) from his laboratory in Lofoton, Norway: data. Preliminary coronagraph images from NASA's STEREO probes show a bright CME emerging from the blast site, traveling mostly away from the sun-Earth line. No strong impacts are expected.

www.spaceweather.com (run by NASA scientists)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:01:05 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »

Look at my previous post and view the dynamic plot from NOAA.

This plot shows that we just had a solar class flare M1.4, and what a wake up call it was for me.

The sunspot responsible for this solar class flare and for the ham radio bands that are singing right now is this monster AR2104 shown below:

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »

July 4 could prove to be a hot one with lots of solar fireworks.

For more information about all these sunspots, please visit http://www.spaceweather.com/

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »

Right now the ham radio bands are silent or almost so. In fact, when we are in a SOLAR MINIMUM, we can expect to see this phenomenon.

STRANGE SITUATION: In the middle of Solar Max, the sun has slipped into a state that resembles Solar Minimum. Sunspot numbers are low; the sun's X-ray and radio output are depressed; and NOAA forecasters estimate a scant 1% chance of solar flares during the next 24 hours.

www.http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=25&month=07&year=2014

Notice also, that the temperature is not as hot as usual for summer months. This also happens during a SOLAR MINIMUM. For example, the Northern Hemisphere became very cold in the mid-1700s when we had the Maunder Minimum ... as there were no sunspots or solar flares for a long period of time. This caused the River Thames to freeze over in a mini-ice age.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »

We just had a Hyder flare measuring C9 at 1818 UT (9:18 AM PDT or 12:18 PM EDT).
NASA says that an earth-directed CME may be coming. Stay tuned.

www.spaceweather.com

Astrophotograher Jack Newton photographed the structure on July 29th from his observatory in Osoyoos, British Columbia. Stretching more than 100,000 km from end to end, and filled with dense plasma, the sinuous filament is held aloft by solar magnetic fields. If it snaps or collapses and hits the stellar surface below, the result could be a Hyder flare--a type of explosion that does not require a sunspot.

This is what the magnetic filament looked like before it snapped.

Scroll up (about four posts) to see the dynamic X-ray flux graph above or click:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_1m.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:57:22 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ikonos
O' Lord, Sinner though I am, make me worthy of thy Mysteries

Faith: Baptised Anglican, heading to Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Christendom

Kyrios Iesous Christos Santa Maria

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »

We just had a Hyder flare measuring C9 at 1818 UT (9:18 AM PDT or 12:18 PM EDT).

I hope this is not an Omen, as it looks a bit like the Ebola Virus that is now spreading in Africa:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:30:48 PM by Ikonos » Logged

In a fallen state of captivity, I seek to exchange Pearls of Wisdom with the few repentant Philokalists who roam this domain.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »

I hope this is not an Omen, as it looks a bit like the Ebola Virus that is now spreading in Africa:

That looks more like a worm than a virus. Creepy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2014, 08:12:40 PM »

Some people need to see patterns in anything.
Ikonos

« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2014, 06:33:52 AM »

Sorry,it might be these glasses I normally wear:

Let me take them off........Oh my God - is this for real?

In a fallen state of captivity, I seek to exchange Pearls of Wisdom with the few repentant Philokalists who roam this domain.
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »

The connection to magnetic filaments does make sense in a way. Ebola is in the news and it is a filamentous virus.

There is a nice art poster of the virus which is worth sharing. (Note that the virus is longer than drawn.)

Ikonos

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »

The connection to magnetic filaments does make sense in a way. Ebola is in the news and it is a filamentous virus.

There is a nice art poster of the virus which is worth sharing. (Note that the virus is longer than drawn.)

Wow - looks scary! And by all accounts deadly - who designed this God, The Devil or Man?
Just another reason to try and get to heaven.

Sorry to Maria for hijacking her thread a bit. Now , where are those glasses again......

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2014, 02:41:46 AM »

We had an M3 solar flare at 1331 UT on Thursday Aug. 21, 2014, and we just had an M1 solar flare this Friday, August 22, 2014 at approximately 0630 UT with more to come due to a newly emerging sunspot.

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=22&month=08&year=2014

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »

This morning at 1217 UT (5:17 PDT or 8:17 EDT) we had an M5.6 class solar flare. Did you feel it, or were you up anyway due to the Napa Valley 6.0 earthquake?

Go to http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=24&month=08&year=2014
to view the video of this awesome solar flare with its CME (purple glob ejecting from the sunspot)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:36:48 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »

Another M class solar flare struck at 1511 UT or 8:11 PDT (11:11 EDT).

It measured M2.0, and more are predicted with several active sunspots.

Short wave radio was affected as were GPS devices. Be careful with those GPS devices. Now is not the time to trust them as you may end up in a river or the ocean.

www.spaceweather.com

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »

We just got blasted by an M3.9 solar flare.

It is still ongoing.

www.spaceweather.com

or visit http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_1m.html to see the solar flare in progress.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2014, 11:12:27 PM »

It is still ongoing.

www.spaceweather.com

or visit http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_1m.html to see the solar flare in progress.

Yesterday morning I woke up to the BBC and heard about the earthquake. I did not hear the Ham operators from Texas and Arkansas which is usual for that hour but I did get and update from a Ham operator 6 miles form the epicenter. I find it hard to ascribe reception to these flares. Local was poor but Radio Manilla was better than usual.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »

It is still ongoing.

www.spaceweather.com

Yesterday morning I woke up to the BBC and heard about the earthquake. I did not hear the Ham operators from Texas and Arkansas which is usual for that hour but I did get and update from a Ham operator 6 miles form the epicenter. I find it hard to ascribe reception to these flares. Local was poor but Radio Manilla was better than usual.

Of course, my husband said that the reception of certain short wave bands was poor during the solar flare. It took a while before the radio bands started to sing.

Space Weather Message Code: SUM10R ...

SUMMARY: 10cm Radio Burst
Begin Time: 2014 Aug 25 1458 UTC
Maximum Time: 2014 Aug 25 1501 UTC
End Time: 2014 Aug 25 1503 UTC
Duration: 5 minutes
Peak Flux: 170 sfu
Latest Penticton Noon Flux: 141 sfu
Description: A 10cm radio burst indicates that the electromagnetic burst associated with a solar flare at the 10cm wavelength was double or greater than the initial 10cm radio background. This can be indicative of significant radio noise in association with a solar flare. This noise is generally short-lived but can cause interference for sensitive receivers including radar, GPS, and satellite communications.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2014, 10:34:39 PM »

We had an M class solar flare today. It measured M4.5 and currently continues in the M1 range.

This should give us some spectacular auroras.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2014, 12:10:13 AM »

We just got blasted with an M5.1 Class Solar Flare at 0258 UT, Sunday, September 28, 2014
(7:58 PM PDT 9/27/2014).

Since we have been having continuous C-Class Solar Flars the Ham radio bands are most likely singing now.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: