OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:55:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Superstitions: evil eye, garlic, knives, brides, and more  (Read 11179 times) Average Rating: 0
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandfather, the mad Mike

« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »

So I went and watched it today.

This being before he started his commune, it's hilarious - if easily explainable - how much Vissarion visually borrowed from Russian Orthodoxy: chotki, the sign of blessing, and even the wearing of blue on red.

The Old Believers (priested, it seems) presented are most definitely crazy. Never heard of any stump-gods or sunken cities in my neck of the woods.

Well, with Herzog you never know how much is staged and how much "real life". Vissarion may well be a fictional character played by an actor...

Wouldn't that be a twist?

Herzog gets a nice local policeman to play a cult leader believing himself to be the reincarnated Christ, only to lose him to the role. Things get out of hand and an ecological community worshiping this "Vissarion" subsequently pops up in Siberia.

Seems legit.

Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »

Herzog gets a nice local policeman to play a cult leader believing himself to be the reincarnated Christ, only to lose him to the role. Things get out of hand and an ecological community worshiping this "Vissarion" subsequently pops up in Siberia.

Seems legit.

In Russia, roles do you.  Undecided
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

So I went and watched it today.

This being before he started his commune, it's hilarious - if easily explainable - how much Vissarion visually borrowed from Russian Orthodoxy: chotki, the sign of blessing, and even the wearing of blue on red.

The Old Believers (priested, it seems) presented are most definitely crazy. Never heard of any stump-gods or sunken cities in my neck of the woods.

Well, with Herzog you never know how much is staged and how much "real life". Vissarion may well be a fictional character played by an actor...

How modern of you, thinking there is a difference between stages and real life. And you claimed love for one of the best pieces of post-modern lit: The Tempest!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »

How modern of you, thinking there is a difference between stages and real life. And you claimed love for one of the best pieces of post-modern lit: The Tempest!

I'm torn between my hypocritical and my hypercritical self...

But I did use inverted commas for "real life", didn't I?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »

I'm torn between my hypocritical and my hypercritical self...

But I did use inverted commas for "real life", didn't I?

Behind every scare quote is a modernist longing to be sincere.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Incognito777
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »

What about the superstition of crossing the mouth when yanning?
Tags: Greek superstitions 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: