OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:59:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholicos Nerse(s) III  (Read 287 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: October 05, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »

I was reading about the Lives of the Saints. Today, we commemorate the Venerable Fathers and Mothers of the Klarjeti Wilderness. As I was reading, I stumbled on something interesting.

George Merchule also provided the Church with the Life of Holy Catholicos Nerse III, an Armenian by descent. Nerse confessed the Orthodox Faith and labored in Tao-Klarjeti with the Georgian fathers. (At that time many Orthodox Armenians fled to Tao-Klarjeti after being exiled from their homeland.) In the first half of the 7th century St. Nerse laid the foundations of Ishkhani Church and labored there in holiness... Only a few of the God-fearing laborers, among them Holy Catholicos Nerse II, were Armenian by descent, but they had converted to Orthodoxy and preached the true Faith in the wilderness with the Georgian fathers.
http://oca.org/saints/lives/2013/10/05/205467-venerable-fathers-and-mothers-of-the-klarjeti-wilderness

I tried to find some more information, but I found nothing that indicated that Catholicos Nerse III should have converted to Chalcedonian Orthodoxy. Does anyone know something about this? I suspect that it may be some kind of mix-up or historical inaccuracy, but I'm not sure.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

Nerses III

Of Ischkan; surnamed Schinogh, "the church builder". Erected patriarch in 641; died 661. He lived in days of political turmoil. The Armenians had to choose between the Greeks and the Persians, and their new conquerors, the Arabs. Nerses remained friendly to the Greeks, whilst the military chiefs sided with the Arabs. Constans II (642-48) hastened into Armenia to punish the rebels and subject them to the Greek Church. Nerses and a number of bishops went forth to meet him and declared they accepted the Council of Chalcedon . Disagreement with the satrap Tehodorus compelled Nerses to withdraw from the administration of the patriarchate from 652 to 658.

http://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=8395

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: