OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:37:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Re-Conquering of Constantinopolis - Ethical/Moral Implications  (Read 4720 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »

We'll just build a new Hagia Sophia. My family have big cornfield we can use.

Done.

Not big enough.

Beautiful, nonetheless.

Yes. Is it Poland?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »

Anyone want to join my campaign to have the EP moved to New York after the current Patriarch's time is up?

No.

Why not? Everything he has is in English-speaking countries anyway.

It's the Nea Megali Idea!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »

Anyone want to join my campaign to have the EP moved to New York after the current Patriarch's time is up?

No.

Why not? Everything he has is in English-speaking countries anyway.

It's the Nea Megali Idea!

I second this, because I'm from Queens.  Wink

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »

Good Lord!  Y'all sure do get riled up really quick over little things.  Allow me to clear up a few things.  First, I ain't Greek so that Megali Idea, or whatever you call it conspiracy, means nothing to me.  Second, many Orthodox (and Orthodox material) still refer to Istanbul as Constantinople  (I used the Greek 'Constantinopolis' which probably caught the attention of the resident conspiracy nuts).  Finally, and this is key so pay attention, the majority Eastern Orthodox Christians wish to see the Topkapi Museum returned to Christians as the Hagia Sophia.  But what good would a huge church be with few parishioners and surrounded my Muhammadans?  This is why I wondered about the logistics and moral implications about restructuring Istanbul/Constantinople.  It was meant to be more of a fun exercise (or what some of our boorish and base members called mental masturbation) than anything.  If it's making some of you cry, then may I suggest you redirect your energies to the cigar smoking thread.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2013, 03:54:23 PM »

Good Lord!  Y'all sure do get riled up really quick over little things.  Allow me to clear up a few things.  First, I ain't Greek so that Megali Idea, or whatever you call it conspiracy, means nothing to me.  Second, many Orthodox (and Orthodox material) still refer to Istanbul as Constantinople  (I used the Greek 'Constantinopolis' which probably caught the attention of the resident conspiracy nuts).  Finally, and this is key so pay attention, the majority Eastern Orthodox Christians wish to see the Topkapi Museum returned to Christians as the Hagia Sophia.  But what good would a huge church be with few parishioners and surrounded my Muhammadans?  This is why I wondered about the logistics and moral implications about restructuring Istanbul/Constantinople.  It was meant to be more of a fun exercise (or what some of our boorish and base members called mental masturbation) than anything.  If it's making some of you cry, then may I suggest you redirect your energies to the cigar smoking thread.

Well that's what your thread is about, so you might want to learn what it is.

lol "Muhammadan". I assume you're kidding, in which case, well done.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »

Białystok.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »

Right back atcha, sport. 

From the Wiki article:

"The Megali Idea (Greek: Μεγάλη Ιδέα Megáli Idéa, the "Big Idea"[1]) was an irredentist concept of Greek nationalism that expressed the goal of establishing a Greek state that would encompass all ethnic Greek-inhabited areas, including the large Greek populations that after the restoration of Greek independence in 1830, from the Ottoman Empire, still lived under Ottoman occupation.[2]"

I've already explained that I'm not Greek, so why would I be interested in Greek nationalism?  Furthermore, how could Istanbul/Constantinople be equated with "... all ethnic Greek inhabited areas, including the large Greek populations that after the restoration of Greek independence in 1830,...".  Think it through sport, think it through.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »

That is beautiful!

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 02:25:58 AM »

Interior: http://halczak.pl/tag/hagia-sophia-bialystok/
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2013, 03:39:45 AM »

Right back atcha, sport. 

From the Wiki article:

"The Megali Idea (Greek: Μεγάλη Ιδέα Megáli Idéa, the "Big Idea"[1]) was an irredentist concept of Greek nationalism that expressed the goal of establishing a Greek state that would encompass all ethnic Greek-inhabited areas, including the large Greek populations that after the restoration of Greek independence in 1830, from the Ottoman Empire, still lived under Ottoman occupation.[2]"

I've already explained that I'm not Greek, so why would I be interested in Greek nationalism?  Furthermore, how could Istanbul/Constantinople be equated with "... all ethnic Greek inhabited areas, including the large Greek populations that after the restoration of Greek independence in 1830,...".  Think it through sport, think it through.

Conquering Constantinople was the main goal of the Megali Idea.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »

It is the dream of most Orthodox Christians that Constantinople once again flourish as a Christian center city.  But let's say that re-conquering is a possiblity, what moral and ethical obligations to the Muhammadan would we have as Christians?  Could we impose Greek as the lingua franca?  Would that mean Turkish is outlawed only to be spoken in homes?  How about relocating the Turk to accomodate Christians?  Would that be moral?  Obviously we would once again pray in Hagia Sophia, but what of the cities other mosques?  Would we close some?  Turn them into Churches?  

Just a few things to ponder, I guess...

The problem with such "ponderings" is that they may result in additional persecutions of Christians by Islamists around the world, to say nothing of the remaining Greeks in Turkey. Bottom line: This is a most irresponsible post, even though it is bereft of logic and betrays gross historical ignorance.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »

Come on guys, I really think you're taking this way too seriously. It isn't as if he called for a crusade.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »

Obviously to take the city you'd probably have to gas it first.  Are Christians segregated in Miklagard?  If so, that would be very convenient.  Also, unlike conventional shelling or nuclear weapons gas would not damage the structures.  It would take a bit of cleanup as an effective nerve agent leaves a mess, but otherwise, everything would be in tact.  Biological weapons are just too darn uncontrollable, and shelling not only ruins structures that would be better for future usage but would also create ruins - probably one of the best defensive structures ever created, albeit unintentionally.  As for the rest of Turkey, nuclear weapons would neutralize their army rather effectively.  If you want to go conventional, you would need probably 10,000 men armed and equiped to SADF/IDF standards.  Allies are also useful.  Syria has reason to be ticked at the Turks after they clean up their mess.  Likewise, the Kurds and Armenians could potentially profit.  Greece is kind of useless at the moment, though if a group like Golden Dawn were to take over they could have motive.  Bulgaria would be better.  Their army is pretty top notch, or at least their equipment is.

Now, into the real world...

In all reality, Russia is the only army that could realistically take on Turkey.  If they do, it will be an economics fight rather than a military one.  And this I think is a very realistic consideration.  Russia has the European gas market pretty well cornered.  Gazprom is probably one of the more influential corporations in the world.  If Turkey were to threaten this hegemony Russia would do something.

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is that Turkey is a member of NATO.  (If it has been mentioned, my apologies.)  It's not so much the Turkish army that needs to be feared but the Turks + Germany/France/US/Britain/Holland/Belgium/Greece/Italy/and so on.  If Turkey were to go full-retard (aka Islamist) and drop out of NATO or be pushed out, their life expectancy as a unified state would drop somewhat.

A real potential threat would be the creation of a Kurdistan in Turkey, Iraq, and Syria.  The Kurds have been gaining a lot of military experience in Syria and Iraq over the last 10 years.  If anything is going to hurt a modern nation state it will be a full blown insurgency.  They have some mountainous regions to use as a base and could just hop the border to Syria or Iraq any time they needed to get some space.  Turkish cross border attacks could spark a conflict with Syria or Iraq...and then Iran could get involved.

Taking back Miklagard is an exercise in fantasy but there are plenty of offshoots that are more plausible. 

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »

And I thought he was Jewish.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »

Obviously to take the city you'd probably have to gas it first.  Are Christians segregated in Miklagard?  If so, that would be very convenient.  Also, unlike conventional shelling or nuclear weapons gas would not damage the structures.  It would take a bit of cleanup as an effective nerve agent leaves a mess, but otherwise, everything would be in tact.  Biological weapons are just too darn uncontrollable, and shelling not only ruins structures that would be better for future usage but would also create ruins - probably one of the best defensive structures ever created, albeit unintentionally.  As for the rest of Turkey, nuclear weapons would neutralize their army rather effectively.  If you want to go conventional, you would need probably 10,000 men armed and equiped to SADF/IDF standards.  Allies are also useful.  Syria has reason to be ticked at the Turks after they clean up their mess.  Likewise, the Kurds and Armenians could potentially profit.  Greece is kind of useless at the moment, though if a group like Golden Dawn were to take over they could have motive.  Bulgaria would be better.  Their army is pretty top notch, or at least their equipment is.

In all reality, Russia is the only army that could realistically take on Turkey.  If they do, it will be an economics fight rather than a military one.  And this I think is a very realistic consideration.  Russia has the European gas market pretty well cornered.  Gazprom is probably one of the more influential corporations in the world.  If Turkey were to threaten this hegemony Russia would do something.

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is that Turkey is a member of NATO.  (If it has been mentioned, my apologies.)  It's not so much the Turkish army that needs to be feared but the Turks + Germany/France/US/Britain/Holland/Belgium/Greece/Italy/and so on.  If Turkey were to go full-retard (aka Islamist) and drop out of NATO or be pushed out, their life expectancy as a unified state would drop somewhat.

A real potential threat would be the creation of a Kurdistan in Turkey, Iraq, and Syria.  The Kurds have been gaining a lot of military experience in Syria and Iraq over the last 10 years.  If anything is going to hurt a modern nation state it will be a full blown insurgency.  They have some mountainous regions to use as a base and could just hop the border to Syria or Iraq any time they needed to get some space.  Turkish cross border attacks could spark a conflict with Syria or Iraq...and then Iran could get involved.

Taking back Miklagard is an exercise in fantasy but there are plenty of offshoots that are more plausible. 

At least GiC graduated beyond tabletop . . .

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »

Done.

This isn't quite as big, but is modeled after the Hagia Sophia:

St. Nektarios Greek Orthodox Church, Charlotte, NC USA
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »

This is stuff is like Odox Vegas.

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »

Here is an interesting article translated by John Sanidopoulos on the subject of Orthodoxy in Turkey:

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/09/fascinating-research-on-orthodox.html
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »

Done.

That's Bishop Gregory' s home parish!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »

Done.

It's not Hagia Sophia.

And Warsaw is going to have its Hagia Sophia too.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »

This thread has convinced me to go play Medieval Total War II.  Sleep tight everyone, Constantinople is safely in the hands of the Byzantine Empire for as long as I am around. I think I might go take Jerusalem and Alexandria too.  That will show those Mohammedans.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »

This is stuff is like Odox Vegas.

Cheesy

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

This thread has convinced me to go play Medieval Total War II.  Sleep tight everyone, Constantinople is safely in the hands of the Byzantine Empire for as long as I am around. I think I might go take Jerusalem and Alexandria too.  That will show those Mohammedans.

Please, use Broken Crescent and Stainless Steel, excellent mods.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2013, 12:47:05 PM »

Miniature warfare is the closet Nazi's last solace.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »

Done.

And mine.  He still comes by for a visit from time to time.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »

What?

-St Silouan the athonite
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »

Not really.  The Allies still have the numbers, even on the tabletop.  Wunderwaffen help you little if the dice gods do not favour you.  I prefer Soviets or North Vietnamese on the tabletop.  

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »

I don't get it. Where's all the outrage? Seriously, the OP entertained mass ethnic deportations and banning a language. Are you all too tired from my bench press thread? This one is far worse, imo.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2013, 02:43:55 PM »

I don't get it. Where's all the outrage? Seriously, the OP entertained mass ethnic deportations and banning a language. Are you all too tired from my bench press thread? This one is far worse, imo.

Don't be jealous.

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2013, 03:22:50 PM »

I wish I could steal the part of your brain that comes up with these things.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »

Why thank you, Willie my boy.  Maybe you and Karl can hold and comfort one another.  Wink 

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »

As a matter of fact, I do use Stainless Steel mod.  It is fantastic.

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06:33 AM »

As a matter of fact, I do use Stainless Steel mod.  It is fantastic.

I approve of all these posts!!!

It is very nice, to have a Patriarch as well in stainless steel!

Don't forget, to put a bishop in each of your cities to better role play!!!!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2013, 01:12:15 AM »

One thing also, another, even if you magically fought the way all the way to constantinople, would you really want to risk terrorist attacks in the city? on the ancient buildings? the agia sophia could simply be destroyed by some terrorists

what is the point? It is a church. more churches can be built. God allowed the city to be taken and for the sacking to happen. what was the reason? think about it

also, yes, let us move the EP to new york. it wil end the persecution complex and constant meetings of politicans trying to get their sympathies to help. or just give it to Kiril. I am sure he would love to be EP

last thought

It was not the fault of the muslims that constantinople fell and that the empire fell.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:13:05 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2013, 07:28:46 AM »

Has anyone noticed that what's really left of Constantinople, the Byzantine capital, is basically a pile of rubble, aside from the walls, the Agia Sophia and a handful of other buildings? Nowadays the best parts of the city are really the Turkish bits.

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »

Has anyone noticed that what's really left of Constantinople, the Byzantine capital, is basically a pile of rubble, aside from the walls, the Agia Sophia and a handful of other buildings? Nowadays the best parts of the city are really the Turkish bits.

New York, on the other hand, is really nice these days.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »

BTW I agree with you on this one. It is, however, not much more likely than a reconquest of Constantinople.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »

It beats Philadelphia for sure....although Philly's not too bad of a city, it's not world class though.....
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2013, 03:35:04 PM »

It beats Philadelphia for sure....although Philly's not too bad of a city, it's not world class though.....

Philly... YUCK.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2013, 03:49:52 PM »

Eh... Two words: Occupy Vatican.  angel

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2013, 03:51:43 PM »

Philly has a lot of great stuff in it, but it's fragmented and none of it seems to come together to make a great world city.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »

Favorite world large cities that I have been in:
Florence, Italy
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Los Angeles, CA
Chicago, IL
Washington, DC
Las Vegas, NV

Cities I thought were overrated:
Venice, Italy
Lima, Peru
Philadelphia, PA
New York, NY
Miami, FL
St. Louis, MO
Boston, MA
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:03:35 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »

New York, NY

York, PA

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »

Favorite world large cities that I have been in:
Florence, Italy
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Los Angeles, CA
Chicago, IL
Washington, DC
Las Vegas, NV

Venice, Italy
Lima, Peru
Philadelphia, PA
New York, NY
Miami, FL
St. Louis, MO
Boston, MA

Can't speak to all of them, but I wouldn't include New York as overrated. The other American one's you mentioned maybe...parts of each of them are pretty great.....
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »

New York, NY

York, PA

Johnstown, PA, Binghamton, NY......Scranton, PA
Tags: