OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:20:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A more collegial style of governance?  (Read 189 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:31 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/04/pope-francis-assisi-church-worldliness

The panel – officially named the Council of Cardinals – was hailed as a revolutionary move when it was formed in April shortly after Francis's election. One observer said that, in its apparent embrace of a more collegial style of church governance, it was the "most important step in the history of the church for the past 10 centuries".
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »

I'm not seeing any mention of a panel in the article.  Besides, in Roman Catholic governance, the buck stops with the Pope of Rome.

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »

They should go back to the original form of Church government that the Church had for 1000 years.

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »

They should go back to the original form of Church government that the Church had for 1000 years.

Do I see a lessening of Papal Supremacy in this move?  This collegialityy thing has not made too much difference in the modern age of the Papacy since the Pope has the last word in any decision, but the language is interesting nonetheless. 
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »

Do I see a lessening of Papal Supremacy in this move?  This collegialityy thing has not made too much difference in the modern age of the Papacy since the Pope has the last word in any decision, but the language is interesting nonetheless. 

Meh, a bit interesting, sure.  But no, until the Pope of Rome says, "Ok, fellow bishops.  Rule your dioceses independently.  I will just deal with Rome, m'kay?" - I don't see it happening.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: