Author Topic: A more collegial style of governance?  (Read 267 times)

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
A more collegial style of governance?
« on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:31 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/04/pope-francis-assisi-church-worldliness

The panel – officially named the Council of Cardinals – was hailed as a revolutionary move when it was formed in April shortly after Francis's election. One observer said that, in its apparent embrace of a more collegial style of church governance, it was the "most important step in the history of the church for the past 10 centuries".

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
Re: A more collegial style of governance?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »
I'm not seeing any mention of a panel in the article.  Besides, in Roman Catholic governance, the buck stops with the Pope of Rome.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Online xOrthodox4Christx

• Protokentarchos
  • Glub Glub Glub.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
They should go back to the original form of Church government that the Church had for 1000 years.
"Your children shall become the head, but you... will become the tail of the Church; therefore your judges will be those who have always preserved the Catholic Faith... they will be the Orthodox and true Catholics since they have never accepted heretics... but have remained zealous for the True Faith." (Western Bishops' Response to Pope Vigilius)

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
They should go back to the original form of Church government that the Church had for 1000 years.

Do I see a lessening of Papal Supremacy in this move?  This collegialityy thing has not made too much difference in the modern age of the Papacy since the Pope has the last word in any decision, but the language is interesting nonetheless. 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »

Do I see a lessening of Papal Supremacy in this move?  This collegialityy thing has not made too much difference in the modern age of the Papacy since the Pope has the last word in any decision, but the language is interesting nonetheless. 

Meh, a bit interesting, sure.  But no, until the Pope of Rome says, "Ok, fellow bishops.  Rule your dioceses independently.  I will just deal with Rome, m'kay?" - I don't see it happening.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/