OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:54:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical hats and Scripture  (Read 518 times) Average Rating: 0
Regnare

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« on: October 04, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »

What is the reasoning (in your church) for allowing clergy and monks to wear various kinds of headgear during the liturgy, when St. Paul is fairly clear that men are to pray with head uncovered? Do they wear them at some points and not at others? I'm interested in hearing answers from all rites of Christianity (especially the Syrians/Coptics; while I've seen a Byzantine monk remove his klobuk, I've never seen a Syrian/Coptic monk without his hood).

For comparison, in the Roman Catholic tradition, the biretta is only worn while the clergy are seated, listening to hymns like the Gloria, while the mitre and zucchetto are worn for the first part of the liturgy but removed for the Liturgy of the Eucharist. I'm guessing that this means for us, Paul's command is being interpreted as a command to remove one's hat in the presence of the Body and Blood of Christ.

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »

I'm interested in hearing answers from all rites of Christianity (especially the Syrians/Coptics; while I've seen a Byzantine monk remove his klobuk, I've never seen a Syrian/Coptic monk without his hood).

I won't speak for the Copts, but only for the Syrians.

When someone is ordained a priest, he receives a circular skullcap composed of seven triangular pieces stitched together.  Each triangle represents an order of priesthood (the baptised, the "confessor", the chanter, the reader, the subdeacon, the deacon, and the priest).  It symbolises the priest's sharing in all these orders, his passage through them, etc.  It is technically a headcovering, but it is not treated as a headcovering, but rather as a necessary vestment. 

Monks wear the monastic hood called eskimo.  It is the equivalent of the Greek monastic schema.  IIRC, it is never taken off in the presence of other people, or even in private except for washing, shaving the head, etc.  Monks who are also priests wear the skullcap under this hood.  Why is the schema kept on even during prayer?  I don't really know.  It's a monastic custom and I'm sure had some sort of reason which derogated from the norm of uncovered heads. 

Bishops wear, as part of their liturgical vestments, a garment called the masnaphtho.  It is sort of like an amice, but it can be worn on the head as a hood and retracted as needed.  It is the equivalent of the Greek mitre.  Even though the monastic hood and priestly skullcap stay on at all times, the bishop will slide this hood on and off depending on the part of the liturgy currently going on. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »

For comparison, in the Roman Catholic tradition, the biretta is only worn while the clergy are seated, listening to hymns like the Gloria, while the mitre and zucchetto are worn for the first part of the liturgy but removed for the Liturgy of the Eucharist. I'm guessing that this means for us, Paul's command is being interpreted as a command to remove one's hat in the presence of the Body and Blood of Christ.

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »

Kamilavki and miters are off during Proskomedia, on from beginning of the Liturgy of the Catechumens until the Gospel is read, off until the Eucharist, and on from the final litany to the end of the service. The Bishop's miter does not entirely conform to this rule (the Bishop can wear the miter during the Anaphora, and usually wears it during ordination), but the spirit of the rule is that heads are uncovered when the Gospel or Eucharist is involved.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »

(the Bishop can wear the miter during the Anaphora, and usually wears it during ordination)

Never seen that. The anaphora part.

Never seen bishop ordination so I can't say.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:32:48 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:08:22 PM »

That is an amice and would be taken down around the shoulders after reverencing the altar before starting Mass.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »

I miss stashko in such threads.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »

What shot would like him to take?

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »

That is an amice and would be taken down around the shoulders after reverencing the altar before starting Mass.

I know, but it's there.

I think Carthusians are the only ones who still cover and uncover their heads while in church. (Probably not at Mass, though.)
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »

I know, but it's there.

I think Carthusians are the only ones who still cover and uncover their heads while in church. (Probably not at Mass, though.)

You'll find some Dominicans who do it as well.  A better example perhaps is the zuccheto which is worn by bishops the at Mass but removed from the Eucharistic Prayer until after the Communion.

Regnare

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »

Oh, basically everything I mentioned would be almost unknown outside the Extraordinary Form (birettas, Dominican use of amice as a hood like in your picture).

Also, in that picture, the priest is still pulling the edges of his conical-style chasuble up over his hands, indicating he's only just put the thing on, for which he'd need to put the hood of the amice up anyway. I think the next step would be to enter the sanctuary to begin the Mass, which would also be done with the hood up (or biretta on for a secular priest).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:57:21 PM by Regnare » Logged

"To believe [the Paraclete] when you wish it, and then disbelieve him when you wish it, is to believe nobody but yourself." --St. Augustine, Contra Faustum XXXII.16
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:46:52 AM »

What shot would like him to take?

I don't know....slivovitca probably.....
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: