OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 07:56:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to wear around the altar?  (Read 2564 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »

Those who say slacks are only "X" amont of dollars haven't ever gone without a meal where $14 meant whether or not you ate. Would you choose slacks for the altar or your kids a meal?

I am sorry to say this, but it sounds like pride is getting in your way here. There are plenty of thrift shops, and charitable organizations that provide children's clothing for cheap and even free. If you really are struggling financially, then take advantage of resources set up to support you. Even a homeless person is able to get a clean, nice set of clothes if they want them.

Joseph
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »

It seems to me that when a man is being prepared for a blessing to serve in the altar - doesn't matter that he be eight or eighty - that proper dress should be part of the discussion. If genuine financial difficulties prevent the server from acquiring what he needs, then why can't the church provide such for his use? As has been pointed out, there are many places where clothing can be obtained cheaply or easily. These items can be left at the church for church use only, except of course for the occasional laundering.

That being said, I doubt that this idea will gather an enthusiastic response, which leads me to agree with those who are pointing out that our choice of attire is a matter of personal pride.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »

I think it's only appropriate to worry about what other people are wearing to church if you're also willing to worry about what they're eating on Fridays, what sort of language they're using, what they're reading or watching on television, etc. Consistency is important in the spiritual life.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting a dress code, nor do I pay particular attention to what folks are wearing. Common sense and being respectful are the key.

I remember a white parent in Family Court wearing a confederate flag cut off shirt in a maltreatment case involving his mixed race child. Suffice it to say that when he walked in the door, he created an image in the Judge's mind that already put him in a more difficult spot. Would we treat God, our ultimate Judge, in the same manner?

In referencing parish archives, I was just pointing out by referencing the "old days"  that the cost of any particular item or your economic status isn't really an excuse for sloppiness or casual indifference to one's appearance in church. And dressing in  a "casual" manner or displaying a "casual indifference" are not the same thing in my view.

Anyone remember hat clips on the "men' side" for the fedoras? Fashions do change.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2013, 10:24:55 AM »

Let's talk about suits. Very few work places require them to be worn these days. I know one place but they stand out because of it. Most places are business casual. I only need one suit these days for funerals and special occasions and the very occasional business meeting. I keep finding Yomakas in the top pocket from the last funeral I went to ,

I think business causal is the new suit and appropriate for most Church services, unless maybe the Bishop is coming

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »

Also, it gets hot behind the altar, real hot. There is a limit to how much clothing you can were under vestments and not feel faint. We have a new Deacon who came from a large Cathedral and is not used to serving out in the poor provinces where the air conditioning isnt great. He is a big guy and suffers from the heat when he vests.

Candles throw off tremendous amounts of heat especially in a confined area.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »

Those who say slacks are only "X" amont of dollars haven't ever gone without a meal where $14 meant whether or not you ate. Would you choose slacks for the altar or your kids a meal?

I'm sorry for your troubles.  But don't assume others on this board have never gone hungry.  In the example you gave, of course I would choose to feed children. 

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »

An afterthought about the original post.

Those younger than 45 probably do not have the knowledge about "jeans," which have become so commonly acceptable these days.  When I was young, in the early 1960's, jeans were being worn as "play clothes."  Not too much earlier, "blue jeans," or "overalls" (the term my Dad used for them), were thought to be for farmers when working their farms.  When I was in high school, '68-'71, jeans were prohibited by the school dress code.  As late as 6 years ago, the bar I go to, an upscale, traditional bar that serves "Classic Cocktails," had a sign on the door prohibiting admission to those wearing "jeans."  I recall an evening when a young lady was denied admission as she stated, "These jeans cost $175.00!"  (The owner has since relented from this rule, much to the detriment of the appearance of the clientele, especially those who are younger.)

I am amazed at what our Presiding Priest, who is ten years younger than me, permits for the dress of our Altar Boys; i.e. polo shirts, casual shoes, no sports coats or suits, no ties.  When I was young, the dress code of the Acolyte was black polished shoes--"dress shoes," a white shirt and tie, dark slacks, and a dark sports jacket. But even with today's laxity, I don't see them wearing jeans.  I don't comment about it because they are good kids who do not think they are acting disrespectful; times have changed.

I'm offering this as a perspective as to how jeans are perceived by, at least, many in today's older generation.

I'm early 20's myself, and I must say that I agree in that I don't see jeans as inherently "play" or in the same category e.g. as shorts. I don't see them as disrespectful, and I wear them for most functions. "Dressed up" for me is as you described for the altar boys - a polo or button-up shirt and a nice pair of jeans (no holes, etc.), although I do wear black "dress" shoes. Honestly, it's rare for me to wear dress pants and a white shirt with a tie to any event, and generally only do if it's specifically required.

And FWIW, the couple churches I have gone to likewise have some of the altar servers dressing in jeans and polos.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »

St. John Maximovitch prohibited them because he thought they symbolised Judas' noose.

Oh, I love him even more!   Kiss

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »

Also, it gets hot behind the altar, real hot. There is a limit to how much clothing you can were under vestments and not feel faint.

This is true, but you're still basically stuck with pants and a shirt, even if you take off the ties, sweaters, jackets, etc. before vesting, so I don't see how this makes a significant difference when considering pants vs jeans. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »

I'm early 20's myself, and I must say that I agree in that I don't see jeans as inherently "play" or in the same category e.g. as shorts. I don't see them as disrespectful, and I wear them for most functions.

Well, you're a Liberalochian!  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »

polo shirts, casual shoes, no sports coats or suits, no ties.

In my observation of Russian tradition, altar servers do not wear ties under their stikharion. If a server was wearing one when arriving at church, he would be directed to remove it before vesting. Other regional traditions might have the same praxis.

Never was told to do that.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2013, 06:35:56 PM »

In my observation of Russian tradition, altar servers do not wear ties under their stikharion. If a server was wearing one when arriving at church, he would be directed to remove it before vesting. Other regional traditions might have the same praxis.

I did say "other regional traditions might have the same praxis".
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »

You said Russian tradition does it yet I've never seen it done or even heard of it but in stories about St. John.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »

Considering that the suit and tie is the universal symbol for commerce and business, I don't think he was far off in seeing it as symbolising the death of someone who betrayed God for financial gain  Smiley
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »

there was no tradition of altar server/sacristan wearing anything, but normal street clothes in the part of Romania I come from. Only on Good Friday Easter and some burials (if you paid a bit extra) they'd have some little boys wear white sticharia, that looked more like Latin surplices. i think i have an old pic somewhere.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »

Considering that the suit and tie is the universal symbol for commerce and business, I don't think he was far off in seeing it as symbolising the death of someone who betrayed God for financial gain  Smiley

Most if not all my Orthodox friends and acquaintances have an instinctive hatred of ties and would never wear one in church - Baptists, Adventists, Mormons and Pentecostals, OTOH, I always recognize by their suits, ties and leather-bound Bibles.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »

Most if not all my Orthodox friends and acquaintances have an instinctive hatred of ties and would never wear one in church - Baptists, Adventists, Mormons and Pentecostals, OTOH, I always recognize by their suits, ties and leather-bound Bibles.

And you live where?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »

like this:
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2013, 07:18:47 PM »

And you live where?

Here.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »

I'm watching Lou Diamond Phillips host the "Military" Channel's "An Officer and a Movie."  He is wearing some worn looking jeans, tennis shoes, an open collar patterned shirt not tucked into his slacks, with a sports jacket.  Shocking. You would never see a host of a prime time television program dressed so shabbily, wearing jeans prior to 15 years ago, but this look is acceptable to the young and middle age generation these days.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2013, 11:25:52 PM »

I'm watching Lou Diamond Phillips host the "Military" Channel's "An Officer and a Movie."  He is wearing some worn looking jeans, tennis shoes, an open collar patterned shirt not tucked into his slacks, with a sports jacket.  Shocking. You would never see a host of a prime time television program dressed so shabbily, wearing jeans prior to 15 years ago, but this look is acceptable to the young and middle age generation these days.
I don't see how it is shabbily. Denim has come a loooooong way from when it used to be a blue collar staple.

All workplaces should be casual wear, there is no good argument against it.

I can't wait until my generation takes over TBH, do away with a lot of the puritanism.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »

I looked up LDP:

OK how is that shabbily? Pretty clean look. You even got the "army green" in his leather jacket to give it somewhat of a military characteristic.

Where were you when Miley Cyrus was twerking at the VMA's this year?

And BTW Basil, guess who is the most marketable generation right now?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:29:09 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »

Well, that's not how he's dressed right now on the "Military" Channel, as I outlined above.

I understand about marketing and what is acceptable today.  I was just commenting about the evolution of acceptable attire.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »

Where were you when Miley Cyrus was twerking at the VMA's this year?

How long before American Orthodox begin agitating for this at the altar?   

I can't wait until my generation takes over TBH, do away with a lot of the puritanism.

You'll do away with a lot alright...

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2013, 11:59:33 PM »

Can't wait to be king, huh?  We know how this ends up.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »

Well, that's not how he's dressed right now on the "Military" Channel, as I outlined above.

I understand about marketing and what is acceptable today.  I was just commenting about the evolution of acceptable attire.
If Fox News had attractive anchors that wore next to nothing when besmirching Obama or whatever else, I would actually watch.

It might good for them. They need to revitalize their stale image or be irrelevant in 10 years.

Then you got O'Reilly who needs less estrogen since he is a narcissistic female sex organ.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:27:37 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2013, 12:08:50 AM »

How long before American Orthodox begin agitating for this at the altar?
Agitating?

I don't think there would be much Orthodox left if we really wanted to see that.

You'll do away with a lot alright...
Starting with the English language, yes.

#yolo4lyfe!!11

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2013, 12:11:47 AM »

Can't wait to be king, huh?  We know how this ends up.

If I'm King, I would actually have black people redo The Lion King.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2013, 12:24:37 AM »

The Lion King was is a stupid movie.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2013, 04:31:18 AM »

Heretic.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: It's an old one!
Jurisdiction: Less old.

Hae bae, did u mis mae?

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2013, 05:08:17 AM »

Heretic.

I'll get the pyre ready...

When I die, I figure the worst I'll get is what I deserve. Any injustice on the part of God will certainly be because He is all too merciful.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2013, 05:12:16 AM »

Heretic.
It's no Beauty and the Beast.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2013, 05:43:52 AM »

You said Russian tradition does it yet I've never seen it done or even heard of it but in stories about St. John.

I've experienced Russian liturgical tradition for longer than you've been alive, in more than one country. I am acquainted with many boys and men who serve/have served in the altar, ranging in ages from early teens to early fifties, not including the deacons and priests I know who served prior to their ordination.

Do not presume I don't know what I'm talking about.  Angry
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2013, 07:24:29 AM »

I understand about marketing and what is acceptable today.  I was just commenting about the evolution of acceptable attire.
If Fox News had attractive anchors that wore next to nothing when besmirching Obama or whatever else, I would actually watch.

It might good for them. They need to revitalize their stale image or be irrelevant in 10 years.

Then you got O'Reilly who needs less estrogen since he is a narcissistic female sex organ.

Fox News Channel's female news anchors are among the most gorgeous women in television news i.e. Megyn Kelly, Kimberly Guilfoyle, Gretchen Carlson, Ainsley Earhart, Heather Nauert, Elisabeth Hasslbeck, Martha MacCallum, Andrea Tantaros, Dana Perino, et. al., who's hotter?  

Fox's new evening line up starts Monday, part of being dynamic even in light of fabulous ratings; not "stale."

FNC's President Roger Ailes is a genius!

I have a far Left drinking buddy who acknowledges that Fox "knows how to do it" with their hot news chicks, who are well educated and have professional backgrounds, Megyn Kelly and Kimberly Guilfoyle are attorney's (a few of the others are likewise), unlike PMSNBC with a blatant Lesbyterian, Ms. Madcow, smack dab in the middle of prime time.  Madcow will be going "head to head," so to speak, with Megyn Kelly beginning Monday, which should be the final nail in her coffin---MSNBC will have to bring out the lovely Tamron Hall to compete.

If I'm not mistaken, "The Five," "It's 5 o'clock in New York and this is 'The Five," is the highest rated program in cable news.

Routinely securing more than twice the audience garnered by both CNN and MSNBC combined keeps them in pretty good standing.  I don't think anyone is too worried about becoming stale.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:37:19 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2013, 07:27:49 AM »

The news studio is the new altar, then. Whoduthunk?  Roll Eyes

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2013, 07:30:17 AM »

The news studio is the new altar, then. Whoduthunk?  Roll Eyes

Depressing, but true ....  Tongue Tongue Angry
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »

Glad to see someone other than Isa sneaking in a political opinion.......
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »

Fox News Channel's female news anchors are among the most gorgeous women in television news i.e. Megyn Kelly, Kimberly Guilfoyle, Gretchen Carlson, Ainsley Earhart, Heather Nauert, Elisabeth Hasslbeck, Martha MacCallum, Andrea Tantaros, Dana Perino, et. al., who's hotter?  

Fox's new evening line up starts Monday, part of being dynamic even in light of fabulous ratings; not "stale."

I have a far Left drinking buddy who acknowledges that Fox "knows how to do it" with their hot news chicks, who are well educated and have professional backgrounds, Megyn Kelly and Kimberly Guilfoyle are attorney's (a few of the others are likewise), unlike PMSNBC with a blatant Lesbyterian, Ms. Madcow, smack dab in the middle of prime time.  Madcow will be going "head to head," so to speak, with Megyn Kelly beginning Monday, which should be the final nail in her coffin---MSNBC will have to bring out the lovely Tamron Hall to compete.

If I'm not mistaken, "The Five," "It's 5 o'clock in New York and this is 'The Five," is the highest rated program in cable news.

Routinely securing more than twice the audience garnered by both CNN and MSNBC combined keeps them in pretty good standing.  I don't think anyone is too worried about becoming stale.

All they need to do is actually add news instead of talk into the mix.....
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »

Better than The Little Mermaid.
orthodox4life

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »

This sure has gotten off topic

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2013, 07:05:38 PM »

If you research the origins of neckties, you will find they are Croatian. Therefore, they are absolutely evil.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »

The Fox News anchoress bares her legs for the sake of the news. This is, of course, part of the Fox News marketing genius.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »

This sure has gotten off topic

Not at all. You just need to fill in between the posts.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2013, 09:07:26 AM »

If you research the origins of neckties, you will find they are Croatian. Therefore, they are absolutely evil.

Then the French saw it and ran with it, thus changing the face of men's fashion forever.  Pure evil, indeed.

ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »

It is true that neckties are not wore in the Russian tradition. At St. John the Baptist, servers take off their neckties before vesting. However, they are expected to wear a shirt with a collar and dark shoes,so that's that. Those rules were developed by St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco and are virtually standard around ROCOR.
Tags: proper behavior 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: