OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:20:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catechumenate Reading List  (Read 4926 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: February 12, 2005, 11:55:33 PM »

I'm thinking of blowing my state tax refund check on a Light & Life order.  I'm thinking of getting the following books: 

The Faith We Hold by Archbishop Paul of Finland
The Truth of our Faith by Elder Cleopa
The Way of the Ascetics by Tito Colliander
The Veneration of Mary by St. John Maximovich
The Gospel of Matthew interpretation by Theophylact of Bulgaria

What do you guys think?  I've already read most of Schmemann's books along with those of Kallistos Ware and a few by Fr. Meyendorff.  I already have the Jordanville Prayerbook.  I'm also currently reaing Orthodoxy Psychotherapy and Ancestral Sin
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 12:10:51 AM »

Have you read the "Rainbow Series" by Fr. Thomas Hopko?  That would be a necessity in my opinion.  It is about $30 for the 4-book set.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 12:27:34 AM »

It is about $30 for the 4-book set.

it is also available for free on the OCA website Grin

hmmmm...
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 12:28:25 AM »

Sounds good, Jennifer. A nice variety of books there.

Anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 12:33:32 AM »

it is also available for free on the OCA website Grin

Free is my favorite price. Smiley
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 12:43:02 AM »

The Way of the Ascetics is also available online. If you would like a lot of reading for a small amount of money, you could always go to a site like CCEL and print out the works of the Church Fathers.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 12:28:52 PM »

Have you read the "Rainbow Series" by Fr. Thomas Hopko?

I'm having a difficult time locating this ont eh OCA website...have a direct link? (probably because i have no idea what the rainbow series is or what the titles are!  Roll Eyes )
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 12:31:42 PM »

http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Orthodox-Faith/index.htm

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 01:38:20 PM »

Jennifer,

My two  cents worth?  I read "The Way of the Ascetics" years ago.  My opinion may have changed in the meantime, but I remember disliking it quite a bit.  I think I found it at the time to be like a puritan's assessment of what asceticism is all about.  I looked briefly at Archbishop Paul's book and it kind of left me underwhelmed.  But this is not really fair, since I didn't read it.

I'm sure you've probably read "Great Lent" by Schmemann.  I found this to be really an awesome book.    Really appropriate for right now and just in general.  I'm sure that our traditionalist friends may not agree with me.

If you remember, I think it was Paradosis who recommended "The Sayings of the Desert Fathers" in another thread.  I think the sayings are awesome.  i like to just pick it up and read a few sayings at a go.  I find it really indispensible.  Of course, having said this, I've just looked around for it and can't see it anywhere.  Anyway, I use the alphabetical collection, edited by Benedicta Ward and published by Cistercian. 

Bob

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 03:01:07 PM »

Wow, Jennifer
you list your religion as an Eastern Orthodox catechumen - that's an impressive list of books you HAVE read and are going to read.
And I thought I was well-read when I was a catechumen
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 04:38:29 PM »

Wow, Jennifer
you list your religion as an Eastern Orthodox catechumen - that's an impressive list of books you HAVE read and are going to read.
And I thought I was well-read when I was a catechumen

I've been at this for awhile (about 6 years).  Of course I have a little confession to make...I don't actually read all of the books I buy.  I have a bad habit of buying new books when I haven't even finished the ones I have. 
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 06:12:44 PM »

Six years? Then what are you waiting for?
Go ahead and get chrismated!  Smiley
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 08:03:33 PM »

I have a shelf of about 15 really good books that I wanted to read--and havent had the time to touch yet!

Latest purchase:Youth of the Apocolypse and the last great rebellion-the book published by the monks and laypeople who work in the underground punk scene in the west. It deals with contemporary issues and relates the lives of monks and saints who rebelled against the world and the passions. It's supposed to be good for youth who are losing hope in the world and I plan on giving it to my teenage brother when I'm done.

Qui cantat, bis orat
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 11:30:15 AM »

choirfiend
if you read this, please respond and tell me where I can get that book

I have a few copies of Death the the World that I retreived on-line - so I would liek to read that book!

I also share the view that it is Orthodoxy alone that has an answer for post-moderns in general and punks in particular.

Those kids should be a large focus of our evangelism to the pagans and unchurched.
penelope
If I love the sea and all that is sealike, and love it most when it angrily contradicts me...

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 11:53:56 AM »

You should definitely add The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church to the list. Smiley

Let me love myself only if I love thee and do all things for thy sake.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 04:09:36 PM »

Since i just got my tax return back I splurged on something for me, I ordered Great Lent, and also a nice looking cookbook From a Monastery Kitchen!!!

Cant wait to read the first one.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 02:04:33 AM »

You should definitely add The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church to the list. Smiley

True.  A very difficult book in places, but well worth the effort.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 02:06:24 AM »

Since i just got my tax return back I splurged on something for me, I ordered Great Lent, and also a nice looking cookbook From a Monastery Kitchen!!!

Cant wait to read the first one.

I hope you love "Great Lent." It just absolutely blew me away when I first read it.

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2005, 09:33:45 AM »

I just got it...they were fast!

Going to start on it today.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2005, 09:38:07 PM »

Awesome!  Smiley

IRHolder
Ian Holder

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2005, 10:19:19 PM »

The Veneration of Mary by St. John Maximovich

This book, which I borrowed from our parish's lending library, helped me quite a bit as I worked out my issues on Mary.

Great Lent is wondrous; I read it pre-Lent and am going to read through it again.

Ian.
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2005, 05:13:38 PM »

I would add that the "Orthodox Word" is an excellent periodical for 'getting into' Orthodoxy.
Also I would recommend anything written by Fr.Seraphim (Rose) or his very long, but well worth the read, biography by Fr. Damascene (Christensen). Fr.Seaphim was a spiritual son of St.John (Maximovitch) and really carried on his spiritual legacy at the monastery he and Fr.Herman started in the mountains of Northern California at Platina. He also spread St.Johns spiritual legacy in his writings which are largely based on what he learned during his first years after converting to Orthodoxy living in San Francisco.
This is particularly true of Fr.Seraphims book The Soul After Death. While the book has been heavily criticized and even labeled 'Neo-Gnostic' it was merely based on what Fr.Seraphim had been humbly taught by St.John http://www.sfaturiortodoxe.ro/orthodox/orthodox_advices_life_after_death.htm
Anyway good luck with your reading!

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
gord96

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 11:56:36 AM »

I am reading "The Orthodox Way" right now by Kallistos Ware....I find it to be a very good read.....anybody else read it?

Seeking truth, the Ancient Way
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 01:01:32 PM »

Yep...it was the book that finally tipped the scales for me; after that I knew I couldn't be anywhere else.

Welcome, gord96!

Pedro, mod

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
gord96

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 02:02:56 PM »

that's how I am feeling as well......the book has put my understanding of Orthodoxy to a new level.....

Seeking truth, the Ancient Way
Sabbas
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2005, 08:50:56 PM »

As much as I liked the Orthodox Way myself you have got to admit the book has some serious flaws. I don't mean to slander the book! Far from it. But the book makes unOrthdoox assertions about our Lord which are extremely problematic and disturbed me when I first read the book. Plus I think it is obvious to anyone that Bishop Kallistos relies far too heavily on non-Orthodox for his quotes who most likely, for instance quoting a Hasidic Rabbi, did not intend what they said to be used in a book on Orthodoxy. I agree we are entitled to take what is true from anywhere but why when it is not necessary should an Orthodox bishop quote non-Orthodox in an introductory book?  I just think the book has flaws.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 08:51:16 PM by Sabbas » Logged

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 05:24:58 PM »

I didn't like the book.

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

Sabbas
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2005, 07:46:41 PM »

What did you not like Mor?

For me, it wasn't that it was stuff I already knew. Elisha referred to it as "esoteric", and I would tend to agree with that. I thought it was kinda newagey when I read it. The Orthodox Church was more straightforward, and I like stuff like that. The thing about The Orthodox Way that I enjoyed were the quotes at the end of chapters. But the actual text itself seemed "out there". Again, if it works for you, that's great, but it wasn't something that worked for me.

I know you said this but was there anything else?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 09:26:14 PM by Sabbas » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2005, 05:50:33 PM »

What did you not like Mor?

I know you said this but was there anything else?

Sorry I'm getting to this late, but I unintendedly (is that a word?) stopped reading most of the site during both Lents...

I think what you quoted about sums it up for me.  I don't think it's particularly bad, I just think it's a treatment of Orthodoxy that doesn't work for me (I like more straightforward stuff). 

Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 08:58:13 AM »

I'd recommend reading anything by Metropolitan Hierotheos of Nafpaktos.  It's all good.  He expresses the heart of Orthodoxy in a way which I think is particularly good for those coming from western confessions, as it is a paradigm totally foreign to what developed in the post-schism west; and it is that heterodox way of thinking which is probably one of the most difficult things to quit when going into Orthodoxy.  There were things I even thought I understood, but discovered I did not, after reading some of His Eminance's works. I struggle to acquire this Orthodox mindset endlessly, but I thank God that I have men like this pious hierarch to guide me (even if only through his writings.)
Tags: Convert Books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: