OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:10:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for Help - Why the Forum Keeps Going Down  (Read 2803 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »

Hi everyone,

The reason the forum keeps going down is this:

The template (what makes the appearance nice and blue) is customized along with some of the features (warning system, treasury).

Customizations were often done by developers for free at simplemachines.org

The Simple Machines team released updates to the software, but some of the developers did not update the customizations.

I hacked the code to make the customizations work on the current Simple Machines code so you, dear users, would not suffer any loss.  Tongue

I am not a professional software developer, so I introduced mistakes somewhere. Every time we load a page, one of those errors puts an entry into the log. That happens 2 million times a month.

The log fills up. The server crashes. I have to delete the big log.

Bottom line, I don't have time to hunt down the errors in the code.

DOES ANYONE KNOW PHP/MYSQL that can help me resolve this??

Thank you,
Anastasios
Co-Founder of OCnet and Backend Administrator

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 03:40:33 PM »

As a workaround, yes I know that I can write a cron job on the server to routinely delete the log. But why do that if I can actually solve the root problem? And that is where someone on this forum will hopefully come in to help me. Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »

See I went to just the default theme which eliminated the normal OC.net banner and when it comes time for Lent.

Forum works much smoother and faster for some odd reason, I can't explain it eventhough the images are cached.

Surely since you pay for the hosting you can reach out to Simple Machines to diagnose and troubleshoot?

Or I guess it's all on you.

All I'm familiar with is vBulletin.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »

No, I have a server package for hosting with 0 support. We are not allowed on a free, shared support plan because we get 2 million hits a month.

The reason the default theme is faster is because my coding errors are not on it Smiley

Simple Machines support is also paid.

I don't have the money for that, even with all of your generous donations. But I am sure someone can help me find the problem. I know I could figure it out myself--it's just I don't have the time to do it.

Please Buy My Book!

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »

I got the MYSQL error at both E Cafe and OC.net around 11PM PDT Wednesday, October 2, 2013, and then both forums went down simultaneously.

General Error
    SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Got error 122 from storage engine [1030]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:21:30 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »

As a workaround, yes I know that I can write a cron job on the server to routinely delete the log. But why do that if I can actually solve the root problem? And that is where someone on this forum will hopefully come in to help me. Smiley

PtA says he is a software developer, he should be able to knock this out easily.

Anastasios, is there a reason you don't post the overhead this place costs you and what would some support would cost over and above what you get?

In the past, when I helped admin a board, we simply had a countdown of how much the overhead was and when the board would stop if the goal wasn't hit. We ran at a surplus all the time which was put into stuff like server upgrades and the like.

I occasionally take a look at the running donations area and I think folks around here could be more generous. If PtA is unwilling or unable to solve the problem and no one else will, maybe having a little more money would make this easier for you.

Thanks for putting up with all this stuff, maybe some of the burden over the long run for you should be addressed now by getting someone here commit to doing the job or getting the persons who use this place to pay someone else to do it for you.

FWIW.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:35:35 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 12:53:52 AM »

So for the past couple of weeks, the forum goes down on Friday nights about 11:30 PM Eastern Time (US).  Are these outages deliberate or does the forum database decide to crash every Friday night at 11:30 PM Eastern time (US)?
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 12:36:00 AM »

So for the past couple of weeks, the forum goes down on Friday nights about 11:30 PM Eastern Time (US).  Are these outages deliberate or does the forum database decide to crash every Friday night at 11:30 PM Eastern time (US)?

Bump.  The forum now goes down every Friday night around 11:10 PM Eastern Time (US) - which is probably the same time as before since the forum time was adjusted in the past year.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 12:56:36 AM »

Here's the rundown.

There is a PHP coding error in the template of the forum, related to one of the modifications from the standard SMF software.

Those errors go into a table called log_smf_errors

They fill up at a relatively predictable rate.

Generally, activity increases on Friday evenings, which causes the logs to spike, and the error logs fill up the server to 100%, at which point it crashes.

If I remember to delete the logs, I do it, and the server doesn't crash. If I forget, usually someone reminds me on FB when it does go down, and I take care of it.

I could write a cron job easily to delete the logs automatically, but I would really rather have a real FIX, instead of a WORKAROUND.

That's the gist.

Please Buy My Book!

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 01:03:59 AM »

I have the time to learn php/mysql, but have the foggiest idea(besides random googles) of where to start

SCREW BON JOVI!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

Assuming you know basic HMTL coding (if not, there is a tutorial on the page I am going to link to, and basic HTML can be learned in a few hours), here is a tutorial for PHP.

http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

If you become proficient, maybe we can bring you on the team at some point Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 07:49:25 AM »

Assuming you know basic HMTL coding (if not, there is a tutorial on the page I am going to link to, and basic HTML can be learned in a few hours), here is a tutorial for PHP.

If you become proficient, maybe we can bring you on the team at some point Smiley

If fixing the problem isn't difficult, then why aren't you doing it yourself?  Huh
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 08:26:05 AM »

If fixing the problem isn't difficult, then why aren't you doing it yourself?  Huh

Obviously he doesn't have anyone to remind him diligently. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: