OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 10:28:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Pope shouldn't visit Serbia' Patriarch Irinej  (Read 867 times) Average Rating: 0
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« on: October 02, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »

http://www.pravmir.com/time-is-not-ripe-for-popes-visit-to-serbia-patriarch-irinej/

Serbian Patriarch of the Orthodox Church said, in an interview for the German daily “Frankfurter Zeitung”, he was for the convergence of the Orthodox and Catholic Church, as well as for the arrival of the head of the Roman Catholic Church in Serbia, but he said that the time for his coming is not yet “ripe”.

As an ideal place for the meeting of the Catholic and Orthodox Church, the Patriarch named Nis, noting that the anniversary of 1700 years of the Edict of Milan an opportunity for numerous representatives of Christian churches and communities to, after centuries, meet in the place of great importance and enter into a dialogue.

Patriarch Irinej also said that, especially for Catholic and Orthodox Church, “which are close to each other, would be of great significance that after so many centuries come a conversation” and suggested holding of an ecumenical council.

When asked about the possibility of the coming of the Pope to Serbia, Patriarch Irinej said that more than 200,000 Serbs had to leave their “homes and churches” in Croatia and they now live in bad conditions in Serbia, saying that among them “there are very many of those who would not be glad to see the Pope coming”...

A new Ecumenical council? And why doesn't the Serbian Patriarch discourage Protestants from coming? They are worse than the Pope in my book.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »

Patriarch Irinej also said that, especially for Catholic and Orthodox Church, “which are close to each other, would be of great significance that after so many centuries come a conversation” and suggested holding of an ecumenical council.

Does anyone know if he actually said this in the interview? I just ask since I read it as him suggesting a RC-EO council, and I always thought Serbians to be some of the most conservative on issues like this.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:59:28 PM »

Current Serbian Patriarch is seen as a bit more liberal...Some Serbisn bishops openly attend evening prayers in Roman Catholic churches...as in any diocese or even a parish there are more conservative individuals as well as more liberal ones..
SOC bishops came into an agreement not to be a part if the world council of churches...but have never acted upon it. The meeting took place in 1990s. Inthink only Bulgarians have done so.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »

Inthink only Bulgarians have done so.

Bulgarians and Georgians.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »

http://www.pravmir.com/time-is-not-ripe-for-popes-visit-to-serbia-patriarch-irinej/

Serbian Patriarch of the Orthodox Church said, in an interview for the German daily “Frankfurter Zeitung”, he was for the convergence of the Orthodox and Catholic Church, as well as for the arrival of the head of the Roman Catholic Church in Serbia, but he said that the time for his coming is not yet “ripe”.

As an ideal place for the meeting of the Catholic and Orthodox Church, the Patriarch named Nis, noting that the anniversary of 1700 years of the Edict of Milan an opportunity for numerous representatives of Christian churches and communities to, after centuries, meet in the place of great importance and enter into a dialogue.

When asked about the possibility of the coming of the Pope to Serbia, Patriarch Irinej said that more than 200,000 Serbs had to leave their “homes and churches” in Croatia and they now live in bad conditions in Serbia, saying that among them “there are very many of those who would not be glad to see the Pope coming”...

A new Ecumenical council? And why doesn't the Serbian Patriarch discourage Protestants from coming? They are worse than the Pope in my book.
The whole idea with dialogue is to have people who don't agree come together in order to discuss things. We can't have a dialogue with the protestants if there aren't any protestants around.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:28:20 AM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »

The whole idea with dialogue is to have people who don't agree come together in order to discuss things. We can't have a dialogue with the protestants if there aren't any protestants around.

Protestants take up around 1% of Serbia. Roman Catholics are around 5%

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »

A new Ecumenical council?

What else is the constant talking about the New "Up and Coming Great and Holy Council"?

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »

Inthink only Bulgarians have done so.

Bulgarians and Georgians.

As far as I remember, the only reason the Georgians left is because many monasteries, including very old and historical ones, threatened to schism from the Patriarch of Georgia if they did not leave the World Council of Churches.

I don't think Patriarch Ilia II wanted to leave, but was forced to in order to keep those monasteries.

Tags: Pope  Serbia  Patriarch  controversy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: