OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 08:16:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Popes Gives Another Major Interview  (Read 2367 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 01, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »

As Eugenio Scalfari tells the story, the pontiff called Scalfari, La Repubblica founder and atheist, out of the blue to arrange a meeting as a follow-up to their public exchange of letters over the summer.

Excerpts:
Scalfari: I think love for temporal power is still very strong within the Vatican Walls and in the institutional structure of the whole Church. I think that the institution dominates the poor, missionary Church that you would like.

Pope: "In fact, that is the way it is, and in this area you cannot perform miracles. Let me remind you that even Francis in his time held long negotiations with the Roman hierarchy and the Pope to have the rules of his order recognized. Eventually he got the approval but with profound changes and compromises."

S: Will you have to follow the same path?

P: "I'm not Francis of Assisi and I do not have his strength and his holiness. But I am the Bishop of Rome and Pope of the Catholic world. The first thing I decided was to appoint a group of eight cardinals to be my advisers. Not courtiers but wise people who share my own feelings. This is the beginning of a Church with an organization that is not just top-down but also horizontal. When Cardinal Martini talked about focusing on the councils and synods he knew how long and difficult it would be to go in that direction. Gently, but firmly and tenaciously."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
gueranger
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexis of Wilkes Barre, pray for me a sinner.

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:39:01 PM »

When Cardinal Martini talked about focusing on the councils and synods he knew how long and difficult it would be to go in that direction. Gently, but firmly and tenaciously."

Cardinal Martini was pro-civil unions, contraception, and women's ordination.

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »

When Cardinal Martini talked about focusing on the councils and synods he knew how long and difficult it would be to go in that direction. Gently, but firmly and tenaciously."

Cardinal Martini was pro-civil unions, contraception, and women's ordination.

That's a bit of a stretch, he had 'nuanced' positions on many of these issues which were not entirely in sync with the Vatican, but if I recall, he was more pushing at the edges rather than suggesting a radical realignment of Catholic teaching, particularly with his position regarding condom usage.
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »

I wish Pope Francis would take a vow of silence.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »

The first thing I decided was to appoint a group of eight cardinals to be my advisers.

The first cardinal adviser he names is Cardinal Martini.  Who are the other seven who advise the Pope?  Cardinals Pina Colada, Margareta, Daiquiri, Mojito, Ginantonic, Screwdriver, and Maitai? 
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

Pray for me, a sinner

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »

I wish you would take a vow of silence

"There is no salvation outside the Catholic Church. Anyone who resists this truth perishes." - St. Louis Marie de Montfort

"When we pray, the voice of the heart must be heard more than that proceeding from the mouth." - St Bonaventure.
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »

I would  try to convert you, but Pope Francis is opposed to converting people. He has no intention of converting anyone.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »

According to Pope Francis you just have to do good, as you see it, and you are fine. I guess he does not agree with scripture when it says that "without faith it is impossible to please God" [Heb. 11:6]. I find it funny that Pope Francis keeps accusing the so-called "traditionalists" in the Roman Church, i.e., those attached to the older form of the Roman Rite, with being Pelagians, while constantly making Pelagian comments in the interviews he gives.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:34:46 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »

Double post.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:33:48 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »

I find it funny that Pope Francis keeps accusing the so-called "traditionalists" in the Roman Church, i.e., those attached to the older form of the Roman Rite, with being Pelagian

Huh? How are they Pelagians?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »

I find it funny that Pope Francis keeps accusing the so-called "traditionalists" in the Roman Church, i.e., those attached to the older form of the Roman Rite, with being Pelagian

Huh? How are they Pelagians?
He just makes the accusation, he never explains what he means by it. Personally, I do not see how a person who prefers a particular liturgical form is Pelagian, because the liturgy is all about grace, while Pelagianism is not.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »

According to Pope Francis you just have to do good, as you see it, and you are fine. I guess he does not agree with scripture when it says that "without faith it is impossible to please God" [Heb. 11:6]. I find it funny that Pope Francis keeps accusing the so-called "traditionalists" in the Roman Church, i.e., those attached to the older form of the Roman Rite, with being Pelagians, while constantly making Pelagian comments in the interviews he gives.

Yeah, you're definitely going to need some sources to make those kind of claims.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:38:14 PM by sheenj » Logged
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »

The first thing I decided was to appoint a group of eight cardinals to be my advisers.

The first cardinal adviser he names is Cardinal Martini.  Who are the other seven who advise the Pope?  Cardinals Pina Colada, Margareta, Daiquiri, Mojito, Ginantonic, Screwdriver, and Maitai? 

Good one! Cheesy

Actually, Cardinal Martini is not one of the advisors - he departed this life about a year ago.

Here's the list:

Cardinal Giuseppe Bertello of Italy, President of the Government of the Vatican City State;
Cardinal Francisco Javier Errázuriz Ossa of Chile, the retired archbishop of Santiago;
Cardinal Oswald Gracias of India, archbishop of Bombay (Mumbai);
Cardinal Laurent Monsengwo Pasinya of the Democratic Republic of Congo, the archbishop of Kinshasa
Cardinal Sean O'Malley of the USA, archbishop of Boston;
Cardinal Reinhard Marx of Germany, archbishop of Munich;
Cardinal George Pell of Australia, the archbishop of Sydney;
Cardinal Oscar Andrés Rodríguez Maradiaga of Honduras, the archbishop of Tegucigalpa
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 03:51:06 PM »

Good one! Cheesy

Actually, Cardinal Martini is not one of the advisors - he departed this life about a year ago.

Here's the list:

Cardinal Giuseppe Bertello of Italy, President of the Government of the Vatican City State;
Cardinal Francisco Javier Errázuriz Ossa of Chile, the retired archbishop of Santiago;
Cardinal Laurent Monsengwo Pasinya of the Democratic Republic of Congo, the archbishop of Kinshasa
Cardinal Oscar Andrés Rodríguez Maradiaga of Honduras, the archbishop of Tegucigalpa

ZOMG WHAT MORE PROOF DO WE NEED?! 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »

Yeah, you're definitely going to need some sources to make those kind of claims.
Pope Francis - address to CELAM leadership: "The Pelagian solution. This basically appears as a form of restorationism. In dealing with the Church's problems, a purely disciplinary solution is sought, through the restoration of outdated manners and forms which, even on the cultural level, are no longer meaningful. In Latin America it is usually to be found in small groups, in some new religious congregations, in tendencies to doctrinal or disciplinary 'safety'. Basically it is static, although it is capable of inversion, in a process of regression. It seeks to 'recover' the lost past."

Vatican Radio

As if those attached to the older form of the Roman Rite simply want a return to older disciplines and rituals. I think that what they really want is a Pope who is Roman Catholic, and I say this as an Eastern Catholic.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:53:55 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »

There are other texts where Pope Francis disparages those who are attached to the older Roman Rite, and he often refers to them - though nonsensically - as Pelagians. As I find them I will post them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:52:42 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 03:55:43 PM »

Good one! Cheesy

Here's the list:

ZOMG WHAT MORE PROOF DO WE NEED?! 

*tears garments asunder in righteous fury*

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »

When a group of Catholics gave Pope Francis a bouquet of Rosaries (a long-standing custom in the Roman Church) he expressed his displeasure with the group and referred to the pious custom as "Pelagian."

Musings of a Pertinacious Papist Blog

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 04:02:07 PM »

For a man who says he does not judge people, he certainly has no problem judging those he things of as "restorationists."

But alas in his most recent interview Pope Francis talks about how the important task of ecumenism started by Vatican II has never really been realized, and then mentions his own humility as a reason why he will be able to do what others could not.

Pope Francis: "The Council Fathers knew that being open to modern culture meant religious ecumenism and dialogue with non-believers. But afterwards very little was done in that direction. I have the humility and ambition to want to do something."

It is a worrying thing when a person begins to extol his own humility.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:03:01 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »

There are other texts where Pope Francis disparages those who are attached to the older Roman Rite, and he often refers to them - though nonsensically - as Pelagians. As I find them I will post them.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was talking more about the first part of your sentence.

According to Pope Francis you just have to do good, as you see it, and you are fine. I guess he does not agree with scripture when it says that "without faith it is impossible to please God" [Heb. 11:6].
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was talking more about the first part of your sentence.

According to Pope Francis you just have to do good, as you see it, and you are fine. I guess he does not agree with scripture when it says that "without faith it is impossible to please God" [Heb. 11:6].
Those attached to the older Roman Rite are the restorationists. He is referring to them.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »

In his first interview Pope Francis speaks about the 'vetus ordo' as he calls it, and worries that it is open to manipulation or "ideologization," but he seems unconcerned that the same thing might happen with the so-called 'novus ordo' rite. I have been to plenty of Ordinary Form masses and can say from experience that many of them are being manipulated for ideological purposes, or just celebrated in a way that is irreverent. I guess that is not a problem though. Circus music at mass is okay, but an older form liturgy reverently celebrated might be dangerous.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:14:30 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »

When a group of Catholics gave Pope Francis a bouquet of Rosaries (a long-standing custom in the Roman Church) he expressed his displeasure with the group and referred to the pious custom as "Pelagian."

Musings of a Pertinacious Papist Blog
Actually, the Pope referred to the obsession with counting a specific number of rosaries as Pelagian:

"An anecdote, just to illustrate this, it is not to laugh at it, I took it with respect, but it concerns me; when I was elected, I received a letter from one of these groups, and they said: "Your Holiness, we offer you this spiritual treasure: 3,525 rosaries." Why don't they say, 'we pray for you, we ask...',"

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »

In his first interview Pope Francis speaks about the 'vetus ordo' as he calls it, and worries that it is open to manipulation or "ideologization," but he seems unconcerned that the same thing might happen with the so-called 'novus ordo' rite. I have been to plenty of Ordinary Form masses and can say from experience that many of them are being manipulated for ideological purposes, or just celebrated in a way that is irreverent. I guess that is not a problem though. Circus music at mass is okay, but an older form liturgy reverently celebrated might be dangerous.
The Pope has criticized both sides, the excessively restorationist, and the excessively gnostic. On the gnostic critique:

"The second [concern] is for a Gnostic current. Those Pantheisms... Both are elite currents, but this one is of a more educated elite... I heard of a superior general that prompted the sisters of her congregation to not pray in the morning, but to spiritually bathe in the cosmos, things like that... They concern me because they ignore the incarnation! And the Son of God became our flesh, the Word was made flesh, and in Latin America we have flesh abundantly [de tirar al techo]! What happens to the poor, their pains, this is our flesh..."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 04:17:59 PM »

I would  try to convert you, but Pope Francis is opposed to converting people. He has no intention of converting anyone.
How do you convert someone who is a member of the same religion as you?

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »

On the issue of "just following your conscience and doing good" read the Pope letter to the Eugenio Scalfari, and read the present interview, and the past interview. The Pope does not - at least based on his rather incoherent letter to Scalfari - believe that faith is necessary to salvation.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 04:19:08 PM »

I was teasing Wandile, but I suppose if he agrees with Pope Francis then he and I are not members of the same religion, because I am a Christian.

Christ is the sole savior of mankind, and faith in Christ is necessary to salvation. So if a man - by his own choice - dies an atheist (God alone being the judge of that) he will not be saved.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:20:59 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »

Again, I miss Pope Benedict. Sad

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »

I would  try to convert you, but Pope Francis is opposed to converting people. He has no intention of converting anyone.
I was teasing Wandile, but I suppose if he agrees with Pope Francis then he and I are not members of the same religion, because I am a Christian.
So you don't think that Pope Francis is a Christian? (BTW, It's a serious question. I'm not trying to set a trap for you).

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »

I miss him too. He had a clarity of mind that seems to be missing in Pope Francis.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:30 PM »

On the issue of "just following your conscience and doing good" read the Pope letter to the Eugenio Scalfari, and read the present interview, and the past interview. The Pope does not - at least based on his rather incoherent letter to Scalfari - believe that faith is necessary to salvation.
Would that make the Pope a heretic?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »

I miss him too. He had a clarity of mind that seems to be missing in Pope Francis.
Agreed. Pope Francis seems so concerned with being nice, that no one really knows what he is saying.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »

I would  try to convert you, but Pope Francis is opposed to converting people. He has no intention of converting anyone.
So you don't think that Pope Francis is a Christian? (BTW, It's a serious question. I'm not trying to set a trap for you).
And I am going to give you a serious answer. I do not know for sure. The more he speaks the more concerned I become.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

Would that make the Pope a heretic?
Not necessarily. The Holy Father's statements are so difficult to decode, that he could have meant any number of things in that letter. Very unfortunate.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:24:54 PM by Papist » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »

And I am going to give you a serious answer. I do not know for sure. The more he speaks the more concerned I become.
Fair enough. I do have to say that he sounds quite a bit more liberal than Pope Blessed John Paul II. But again, I am never 100% sure I understand what Pope Francis is saying.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »

Agreed. Pope Francis seems so concerned with being nice, that no one really knows what he is saying.
I think - at least based upon what I see in the media - that Pope Francis probably is a nice man, but being a nice man is not enough. It is like being well-intentioned, but doing something evil. Good intentions cannot make that which is evil into something good.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »

Fair enough. I do have to say that he sounds quite a bit more liberal than Pope Blessed John Paul II. But again, I am never 100% sure I understand what Pope Francis is saying.
I think he sounds very Episcopalian, and I say that as a former High Church Episcopalian.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:26:23 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »

If you're not sure, then maybe you should watch your mouth before you make positive statements like, "...I suppose if he agrees with Pope Francis then he and I are not members of the same religion, because I am a Christian."

You will be held accountable before the Almighty for every word you says just like Pope Francis will.  

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »

I think - at least based upon what I see in the media - that Pope Francis probably is a nice man, but being a nice man is not enough. It is like being well-intentioned, but doing something evil. Good intentions cannot make that which is evil into something good.
Yep. Pope Francis' intentions should be the restoration of Holy Tradition in doctrine and liturgy. This would be a true kindness, as it would help to save more souls.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »

If you're not sure, then maybe you should watch your mouth before you make positive statements like, "...I suppose if he agrees with Pope Francis then he and I are not members of the same religion, because I am a Christian."

You will be held accountable before the Almighty for every word you says just like Pope Francis will.  
Shultz why do you have to come into our doom and gloom thread and have to upset everything with clarity and wisdom.  Wink

Seriously, you are probably one of the top five most reasonable posters on this forum.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »

I should say that I have not come to a final conclusion, but I do know this much. I do not agree with most of what Pope Francis says in the two interviews he has given. It is one reason why I am re-evaluating my own spiritual life. It may be that I will have to leave the Melkite Church. I admit my own faith has been shaken by the fact that Pope Francis says things that the bishop I was under as an Episcopalian said.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:29:20 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »

Yep. Pope Francis' intentions should be the restoration of Holy Tradition in doctrine and liturgy. This would be a true kindness, as it would help to save more souls.
He does not like restorationists, or as he prefers to call them "Pelagians."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:30:15 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »

I should say that I have not come to a final conclusion, but I do know this much. I do not agree with most of what Pope Francis says in the two interviews he has given. It is one reason why I am re-evaluating my own spiritual life. It may be that I will have to leave the Melkite Church. I admit my own faith has been shaken by the fact that Pope Francis says things that the bishop I was under as an Episcopalian said.
Why is your faith shaken by the fact that a Pope has said disturbing things? The faith has not changed.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »

He does not like restorationists, or as he prefers to call them "Pelagians."
Haha. Yes, I saw that. Sigh. Well, I can love and pray for the Holy Father while I continue to disagree with. Though, was it not possible that these "restorationists" of which he speaks are the SSPX and Sede types?

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 04:33:33 PM »

Having doubts are fine.  There's a reason I'm Orthodox now instead of Roman Catholic.  But saying, "Hm, what is going on is unsettling to me," is a far cry from, "THE POPE IS NO LONGER A CHRISTIAN!"

At this point it appears you're leaning towards the latter and that, my friend, is dangerous ground to tread.

I've grown quite fond of the adage, "It's not what you say but how you say it," when it comes to matters of disagreement and civil discourse.  

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: