OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 01:56:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How legal is this?  (Read 1525 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« on: September 27, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »

There is this guy where I work that hasn't paid rent of a couple of months; I or one of my co-workers usually deliver the landlord's five day notices. Now we have been trying to deliver this to him, in hand, that is, for about a week without success. The guy prob. wouldn't answer the door knocks.
Anyways, yesterday my supervisor calls me and asks me to go turn off electricity for that guy's unit, from the meter, saying that some boss at the central office asked that, as a ruse to get a hold of the guy, have the paper delivered to him and be able to sue him, and evict him soon. I instantly thought that was  fishy.  Although I said i was gonna do it I didn't do it, knowing that it would be hard for my supervisor to check  on me. I just lied to him.
But one of the guys working the next shift did that. So now, it has been over 10 h and yet the tenant didn't call ask why there is no power.
Would anybody know how legal these tactics are?
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »

There is this guy where I work that hasn't paid rent of a couple of months; I or one of my co-workers usually deliver the landlord's five day notices. Now we have been trying to deliver this to him, in hand, that is, for about a week without success. The guy prob. wouldn't answer the door knocks.
Anyways, yesterday my supervisor calls me and asks me to go turn off electricity for that guy's unit, from the meter, saying that some boss at the central office asked that, as a ruse to get a hold of the guy, have the paper delivered to him and be able to sue him, and evict him soon. I instantly thought that was  fishy.  Although I said i was gonna do it I didn't do it, knowing that it would be hard for my supervisor to check  on me. I just lied to him.
But one of the guys working the next shift did that. So now, it has been over 10 h and yet the tenant didn't call ask why there is no power.

It depends on what state you are in, but in most states, it is illegal to use the shutting off of utilities as a method of forcing compliance or eviction. Generally the party who suffers this illegal treatment will be allowed to sue, win, and it will severely hurt the claim on the behalf of the Landlord for eviction. If I recall, the actual serving of a notice isn't as important as the reasonable attempt to serve. If it has been documented that there have been repeated unsuccessful attempts I would bet that the law considers you to have done your due dilligence.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, you need to look up your state specific tennant/landlord laws

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »

I am a landlord in PA and I can tell you that using utility shutoff in this state opens you up to huge liabilities.  The tenant can collect triple damages for substitute housing, attorney fees, food spoilage etc.  In PA, we don't need to hand deliver the notice, as long as we post it on the door, it is considered served.  I do know a guy who decided to do repairs on a residence that was non-pay and decided to "replace" the front door, but after removing the door, was "unable" to find a suitable replacement.  I'm not sure how it worked out, but it is a risky move.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »

Anyways, yesterday my supervisor calls me and asks me to go turn off electricity for that guy's unit, from the meter, saying that some boss at the central office asked that, as a ruse to get a hold of the guy, have the paper delivered to him and be able to sue him, and evict him soon. I instantly thought that was  fishy.  Although I said i was gonna do it I didn't do it, knowing that it would be hard for my supervisor to check  on me. I just lied to him.

It depends on what state you are in, but in most states, it is illegal to use the shutting off of utilities as a method of forcing compliance or eviction. Generally the party who suffers this illegal treatment will be allowed to sue, win, and it will severely hurt the claim on the behalf of the Landlord for eviction. If I recall, the actual serving of a notice isn't as important as the reasonable attempt to serve. If it has been documented that there have been repeated unsuccessful attempts I would bet that the law considers you to have done your due dilligence.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, you need to look up your state specific tennant/landlord laws

-Nick
Thanks. just as I suspected. It just shows how terribly incompetent these overly paid paper shufflers are.
Il btw
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:49:54 PM by augustin717 » Logged
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »

Anyways, yesterday my supervisor calls me and asks me to go turn off electricity for that guy's unit, from the meter, saying that some boss at the central office asked that, as a ruse to get a hold of the guy, have the paper delivered to him and be able to sue him, and evict him soon. I instantly thought that was  fishy.  Although I said i was gonna do it I didn't do it, knowing that it would be hard for my supervisor to check  on me. I just lied to him.

-Nick
Thanks. just as I suspected. It just shows how terribly incompetent these overly paid paper shufflers are.
Il btw

Having previously lived in Illinois and been a tenant, it is illegal to shut off utilities.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »

Why are you doing the petty bourgeoisie's dirty work?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:10:24 PM »

^Good one.

It's illegal in New York and, depending on your utility set up, it can be dangerous - especially in winter if electricity is shut off and tenant uses gas oven for heat.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »

Perhaps the tenant has left for good.

I'd turn the electricity back on and tell your management company to trust the bourgeoisie.   Wink
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »

for a rather meager living; but, read again, i didn't do it, someone else did it though.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »

How else is he going to exist?

It doesn't make him a hypocrite either btw. What we can't criticize stuff now?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »

William still has to start working. And by that I don't mean trading stocks or derivatives.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »

William still has to start working. And by that I don't mean trading stocks or derivatives.
I'm actually trying to get an ecommerce business going myself. The problem is I have lost near 3 hours of my day because of transportation so it's hard to get it off the ground.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »

I'm actually trying to get an ecommerce business going myself. The problem is I have lost near 3 hours of my day because of transportation so it's hard to get it off the ground.
What do you mean you lost 3 hours of your day because of transportation.  If it is ecommerce, you shouldn't be doing any transportation.  Huh

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »

What do you mean you lost 3 hours of your day because of transportation.  If it is ecommerce, you shouldn't be doing any transportation.  Huh
I take the bus to work because it's cheaper. Both ways it's $1.60 a day.

I'm not used to it, my old employer it would take me 30 seconds to get to work. Now I have to wait up an hour before the bus and it takes me an hour to get to downtown Pittsburgh.

So 3 hours is cutting me a lot of time I could be doing some extra work.

And before you say well why don't I just do stuff on the bus, well I try to catch up on some sleep on that 1 hour commute. I am not a morning person in the slightest but have to wake up at 6AM M-F.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »

I take the bus to work because it's cheaper. Both ways it's $1.60 a day.

I'm not used to it, my old employer it would take me 30 seconds to get to work. Now I have to wait up an hour before the bus and it takes me an hour to get to downtown Pittsburgh.

So 3 hours is cutting me a lot of time I could be doing some extra work.

And before you say well why don't I just do stuff on the bus, well I try to catch up on some sleep on that 1 hour commute. I am not a morning person in the slightest but have to wake up at 6AM M-F.
Oh, that makes sense.  I thought you meant that your ecommerce business was causing you 3 hrs a day in transportation.  Apparently, I can't read today. lol

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »

dp from approved moderated post
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:16:48 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:16:44 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »

I have worked. Manually, too. More strenuously than evicting people down on their luck for landlords.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:24:49 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »

I have worked. Manually, too. More strenuously than evicting people down on their luck for landlords.
steroids cause reading comprehension problems  police
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »

What does that mean, and why was it posted twice?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »

Double posted, it got approved after I got off moderation and posted before.

No big deal.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »

Double posted, it got approved after I got off moderation and posted before.

No big deal.

Thanks! Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 03:33:46 PM »

When you can't drive it cuts into your local Salvation Army to ebay ecorp.

ecommerce . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »

When you can't drive it cuts into your local Salvation Army to ebay ecorp.

ecommerce . . .
Hey it could have made you a fortune...which begs the question.

Why didn't you ever get into it yourself even before the dot com bubble?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »

Aren't eviction notices delivered by a sheriff or deputy?  I thought I read that once, could be wrong.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »

Landlords aren't petty bourgeoisie. Gosh, get your Marxist labels straight.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »

Aren't eviction notices delivered by a sheriff or deputy?  I thought I read that once, could be wrong.

FWIW, I checked with a friend on FB.  He is a deputy sheriff in North Carolina.  At least there, a sheriff's department is the only party that can legally serve civil processes.
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »

FWIW, I checked with a friend on FB.  He is a deputy sheriff in North Carolina.  At least there, a sheriff's department is the only party that can legally serve civil processes.
He isn't serving the actual eviction, he is serving the notice to pay or quit.  In most states, you have to give the tenant a warning that they must take corrective action or leave the premises.  If they do not respond to the pay or quit notice, then you file it with your local magistrate and wait for your court date.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »

He isn't serving the actual eviction, he is serving the notice to pay or quit.  In most states, you have to give the tenant a warning that they must take corrective action or leave the premises.  If they do not respond to the pay or quit notice, then you file it with your local magistrate and wait for your court date.
Hey what part of Pennsylvania do you reside in?

I wish I could have used your knowledge about apartments in Pittsburgh before I moved. Not saying there is anything wrong with where I am at, but I had no clue and did it blind.

I know, private properties for rent instead of going through a management company is always ideal.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »

Hey what part of Pennsylvania do you reside in?

I wish I could have used your knowledge about apartments in Pittsburgh before I moved. Not saying there is anything wrong with where I am at, but I had no clue and did it blind.

I know, private properties for rent instead of going through a management company is always ideal.
I live out in York, PA.  Best advice I can give is make sure you read the lease carefully.  Landlords can really make your life miserable with the wording in the lease agreement.

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »

Aren't eviction notices delivered by a sheriff or deputy?  I thought I read that once, could be wrong.

FWIW, I checked with a friend on FB.  He is a deputy sheriff in North Carolina.  At least there, a sheriff's department is the only party that can legally serve civil processes.
a five day notice isn't an eviction notice. i often have to deliver the first, never the second
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:22:14 PM by augustin717 » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »

I think it is not legal because the landlord has a duty to maintain sanitary conditions and safe ones until the eviction.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »

Yeah, they are.

Let me guess, you're gonna be okay with making people homeless because I'm the one who's opposed to it? It's not uncommon. Schultz apparently supports cooking crystal meth when I'm the one who is saying that it's wrong (see the TV thread).

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 09:49:33 AM »

Yeah, they are.

Really, they're not. Look up the definition of "petit-bourgeoisie".

Let me guess, you're gonna be okay with making people homeless because I'm the one who's opposed to it?

1. Augustin isn't making anyone homeless; 2. Who are you and why would I care what you're opposed to?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 12:19:49 PM »

Augustin, do not shut off his electricity. You can be charged with tampering with a utility. The electric company owns the line and meter. You can not shut it off. You can also be sued for any loss of property resulting from the shut off of electricity (spoiled food, damaged electronics, etc.)

PP

P.S. Im a former landlord who looked heavily into this. In most states what I said is accurate (I think Louisiana its different)

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 12:45:55 PM »

Yeah, they are.

2. Who are you and why would I care what you're opposed to?

This is an excellent question that anyone here could legitimately ask of any other person on this board in any given moment of snarkiness, which this board abounds in and to which I happily contribute my fair share  Grin.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:46:46 PM by J Michael » Logged

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »

1. Augustin isn't making anyone homeless;

Right, evicting people isn't making them homeless.

Because I don't think that millions of Iranians have secretly become OO.

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 01:09:33 PM »

1. Augustin isn't making anyone homeless;

Right, evicting people isn't making them homeless.

He isn't evicting them.  He is giving them notice that they need to pay or leave.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 01:21:04 PM »

What the...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:21:20 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »

And I'm pretty sure Judaism wasn't founded by the Aztecs. Or was it?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »

And I'm pretty sure Judaism wasn't founded by the Aztecs. Or was it?

I think I saw something on the History Channel about that.

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »

Actually all of Iran is OO, but everyone is busy keeping it a secret so they don't get beheaded so things continue functioning as a Muslim country.

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »

Actually all of Iran is OO, but everyone is busy keeping it a secret so they don't get beheaded so things continue functioning as a Muslim country.
Praise be to Allah.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 02:54:54 PM »

If Iran is really 100% Oriental Orthodox, I will reverse my opposition to their acquiring nuclear weapons.  A number of Chalcedonian nations maintain nuclear arsenals, it's about time to even the playing field. 

After that, we can move on to developing an OO version of Ancient Faith Radio. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »

If Iran is really 100% Oriental Orthodox, I will reverse my opposition to their acquiring nuclear weapons.  A number of Chalcedonian nations maintain nuclear arsenals, it's about time to even the playing field. 

After that, we can move on to developing an OO version of Ancient Faith Radio. 
The Chalcedonian nations don't need nukes.  They have God on their side.  Grin

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 03:07:01 PM »

The Chalcedonian nations don't need nukes.  They have God on their side.  Grin

"I reveal my Inmost Self unto my God."

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: