OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 11:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow, I'm not the only one.....  (Read 6449 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »

YiM, this is a repost, but I am honestly curious about your response, because this was a main driver for me towards Orthodoxy.

I just want to know what you see the history of the "True Church" is. Can you give a brief narrative of the history of the church?

I am also confused how you can believe that the Eucharist is Christ's true Body and Blood, but not accept the Church.  The Orthodox say it only happens through the Church, but it seems if you believe in the protestant view of an invisible church.  How does an invisible church change the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ?  What if your pastor is secretly skeptical of his faith? Does that make the communion he offers invalid? Can anyone consecrate the elements?  Once I realized that the Eucharist is the true Body and Blood of Christ, the concept of an invisible church just kind of falls apart.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »

Christ swore at His trial.  Mat. 26:63-64

You just accused Christ of sinning.  You said he swore under oath.  Not only are you wrong, but blasphemous.

The king's name and the year are good enough for you.   You can easily find the sources, they are all around.

Mathew 26: 63-64
63 But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest said to Him, “I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.”

64 Jesus said to him, “You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

Can you at least read the verses Prof. Isa gave as evidence before accusing him of blasphemy?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:50:12 AM by sheenj » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #227 on: October 10, 2013, 11:52:29 AM »

I would like to know as well....why 150ad? Why not 149, or 178? Why not AD 90-ish when St. John died?

Why 150? What transpired in that year to make you say that the Church fell into heresy?

PP
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:53:05 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #228 on: October 10, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »

I would like to know as well....why 150ad? Why not 149, or 178? Why not AD 90-ish when St. John died?

Why 150? What transpired in that year to make you say that the Church fell into heresy?

PP

He used to ask for proof of iconography from before Constantine. After he was shown examples such as the Alexemenos Graffito and the Catacomb Icons, some of which date from the mid to late 2nd century, he decided to move the goalposts to 150 AD.  Roll Eyes
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »

PP

He used to ask for proof of iconography from before Constantine. After he was shown examples such as the Alexemenos Graffito and the Catacomb Icons, some of which date from the mid to late 2nd century, he decided to move the goalposts to 150 AD.  Roll Eyes
I remember that. I gave one or two examples myself. I was simply curious as to why he chose that date. Surely there must be a reason....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »

PP

I remember that. I gave one or two examples myself. I was simply curious as to why he chose that date. Surely there must be a reason....

PP

Because it's earlier than the earliest examples we gave.

If we find an example from 110 AD, I'm 99% sure he will ask for examples from before St. John's death.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »

PP

PP

If we find an example from 110 AD, I'm 99% sure he will ask for examples from before St. John's death.
Prolly right.

PP

Gregory the Great

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »

YiM, I just want to know what you see the history of the "True Church" is. Can you give a brief narrative of the history of the church?

I am also confused how you can believe that the Eucharist is Christ's true Body and Blood, but not accept the Church.  The Orthodox say it only happens through the Church, but it seems if you believe in the protestant view of an invisible church.  How does an invisible church change the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ?  What if your pastor is secretly skeptical of his faith? Does that make the communion he offers invalid? Can anyone consecrate the elements?  Once I realized that the Eucharist is the true Body and Blood of Christ, the concept of an invisible church just kind of falls apart.

This would expand too far for me to do this right now.  I'll talk about communion at some other point.

Trying to stay in context and stick to some of the points on this thread, at some point and time, somebody convinced those in the church that images on paint and wood (venerated) equated to venerating that person in heaven.

Or to have things similar to an iconostasis

Whoops

And convinced them to repeat prayers (count them too!)

Also consider the images...

I know you people are smart enough to see the pagan influence on the EO church.  Come on folks, use your brain.

There is a huge history of Christianity that is also outside of the RC/EO faith.   This isn't a "gates of hell prevailing against it" argument.  That verse said by an EO Christian would indicate the EO church as "THE CHURCH" rather than seeing "THE CHURCH" outside of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Look, don't be blind, this is very cut and dry obvious.  Look at the buddhist icons, complete with "blessing hand signs", auras (cough cough) halos, etc. 

We were commanded by God not to make images in the likeness of things in Heaven, on Earth, or under the Sea.  The EO church does make these images, iconodules have killed for these images even.  They are pagan of Eastern influence....

JUST like all the funky mysticism.  All pagan influence.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »

You just accused Christ of sinning.  You said he swore under oath.  Not only are you wrong, but blasphemous.

The king's name and the year are good enough for you.   You can easily find the sources, they are all around.

63 But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest said to Him, “I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.”

64 Jesus said to him, “You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

Can you at least read the verses Prof. Isa gave as evidence before accusing him of blasphemy?

THAT WAS NOT HIM SWEARING.  Read it.   He said "you have said it".

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »

YourshoeIsAYam: Just when I thought we'd reached the final frontier, you have really opened a whole new vista upon your ignorance.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #235 on: October 10, 2013, 12:41:53 PM »

PP

I can't believe you even bring this up!

The Alexemenos Graffito was drawn by PAGANS making FUN of Christians!
The catacomb icons post-dated 150!

That was an embarrassing argument people on this board put up for the stance of icons.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #236 on: October 10, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »

YourshoeIsAYam: Just when I thought we'd reached the final frontier, you have really opened a whole new vista upon your ignorance.

So that's all you have to say rather than argue context?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #237 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »

PP

PP

Prolly right.

PP

150 is early... Is it not over 100 Years AFTER the death of Christ?  Surely if icons existed in the original church, there would be icons during a 100 YEAR span.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #238 on: October 10, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

PP

PP

Prolly right.

PP

150 is early... Is it not over 100 Years AFTER the death of Christ?  Surely if icons existed in the original church, there would be icons during a 100 YEAR span.

Who says that there weren't icons in the Church before 150 AD?

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #239 on: October 10, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »

PP

PP

Prolly right.

PP

I don't know what to say. Do you know what the word 'extant' means?

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »

PP

PP

Prolly right.

PP

Who says that there weren't icons in the Church before 150 AD?

Prove it!  Don't cite legends.  Show writings from early Christians (pre 150), or actual icons from Christians (pre 150).

xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

« Reply #241 on: October 10, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »

Buddhists don't believe in god dude. They are not pagans. Also, if there is a Church outside of Orthodoxy and Catholicism that has Apostolic Succession, other than the Nestorian Church, which one is it?

Is this Church some secret society that has been undocumented that has continued the Apostolic Succession under the radar of history? Where does this group exist?

(Cough, cough Da Vinci Code, cough!)

"We were commanded by God not to make images in the likeness of things in Heaven, on Earth, or under the Sea.  The EO church does make these images, iconodules have killed for these images even.  They are pagan of Eastern influence...."

No buddy, we were commanded TO make images. Read Exodus 26. Also don't read the graven images verse out of context. Show what the original language is instead of hiding behind a mistranslation. The original commandment doesn't say anything close to 'graven images' in the original language.

Correct translation: 'Thou shalt not make to thyself an idol, nor likeness of anything, whatever things are in the heaven above, and whatever are in the earth beneath, and whatever are in the waters under the earth.' (Exodus 20:4)

Furthermore, the Sign of the Cross is from the 1st century. Read the Liturgy of St. James.

Also, YeshuaisIAmisInsane has insulted Orthodoxy a few times, doesn't that mean he should be penalized?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:59:16 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #242 on: October 10, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »

PP

I can't believe you even bring this up!

The Alexemenos Graffito was drawn by PAGANS making FUN of Christians!

That was an embarrassing argument people on this board put up for the stance of icons.

Yes, the reason the Pagans were mocking Christians who venerated the Cross (Which is an Icon) is because there were Christians venerating the Cross to begin with. Ergo, Veneration of Icons was not unknown during that time period.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #243 on: October 10, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »

PP

PP

Prolly right.

PP

I don't know what to say. Do you know what the word 'extant' means?

Sure.

So what you are saying is you are perfectly comfortable venerating icons that:
1) No record exists of them pre 150.
2) No writing exists of them pre 150. (Despite many other writings surviving)

I've even tried looking into Origen's writings to find them (as he is prolific).   Can't find anything.

Of course there are paintings/drawings of Origen made after the fact.

But if I am going to be convinced to disobey the 1st commandment of God by "the church" and accept the apologetics of "the church", then certainly "the church" needs to prove its history, or at least have some early writing about icons showing how their apologetics are correct.
Considering how heavy icons are used in the EO church today, this is disturbing.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2013, 12:54:52 PM »

Prove it!  Don't cite legends.  Show writings from early Christians (pre 150), or actual icons from Christians (pre 150).

There are only very few writings from before 150AD and none of them dealt with how the Christians worshipped. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:55:08 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #245 on: October 10, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »

That is still an affirmative answer to a request to swear and confirm a statement.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #246 on: October 10, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »

Buddhists don't believe in god dude. They are not pagans. Also, if there is a Church outside of Orthodoxy and Catholicism that has Apostolic Succession, other than the Nestorian Church, which one is it?

Is this Church some secret society that has been undocumented that has continued the Apostolic Succession under the radar of history? Where does this group exist?

"We were commanded by God not to make images in the likeness of things in Heaven, on Earth, or under the Sea.  The EO church does make these images, iconodules have killed for these images even.  They are pagan of Eastern influence...."

No buddy, we were commanded TO make images. Read Exodus 26. Also don't read the graven images verse out of context. Show what the original language is instead of hiding behind a mistranslation. The original commandment doesn't say anything close to 'graven images' in the original language.

Furthermore, the Sign of the Cross is from the 1st century. Read the Liturgy of St. James.
'

I didn't read it out of context.  Jews do not use images, and the ones who did were accused of idolatry.

They don't believe in graven images OR images in the likeness....

I didn't cite the buddhist religion, I stated that the buddhists influenced iconography..... How else did halos/auras come to be?

That's right, I forget, Peter's head really glowed.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #247 on: October 10, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »

I've even tried looking into Origen's writings to find them (as he is prolific).   Can't find anything.

A lot of Origen's writings are lost. Besides, he's post-150 AD.

-Giuseppe Verdi
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #248 on: October 10, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »

That is still an affirmative answer to a request to swear and confirm a statement.

Read it some more.   "You have said it yourself", does not meant that he was swearing to a statement.

If I told you vanilla ice cream was basically "white"
then later I said "Swear unto God vanilla ice cream is "white",
and you said "You have already said it" - That is not abiding to the oath.

Then it goes on  - NEVERTHELESS I TELL you..... (Read the words "Nevertheless I TELL you" to break the oath stigma).

That's because he was not swearing.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #249 on: October 10, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »

Yeah I know, but I've tried looking in them anyway....

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »

There are only very few writings from before 150AD and none of them dealt with how the Christians worshipped. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

I believe that there will be many who disagree with you on this one.  Including me.   Even the scriptures deal with how they worshiped.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2013, 01:04:23 PM »

Yeah I know, but I've tried looking in them anyway....

Why would you look there if you knew that?

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »

YiM, I just want to know what you see the history of the "True Church" is. Can you give a brief narrative of the history of the church?

I am also confused how you can believe that the Eucharist is Christ's true Body and Blood, but not accept the Church.  The Orthodox say it only happens through the Church, but it seems if you believe in the protestant view of an invisible church.  How does an invisible church change the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ?  What if your pastor is secretly skeptical of his faith? Does that make the communion he offers invalid? Can anyone consecrate the elements?  Once I realized that the Eucharist is the true Body and Blood of Christ, the concept of an invisible church just kind of falls apart.

This would expand too far for me to do this right now.  I'll talk about communion at some other point.

Trying to stay in context and stick to some of the points on this thread, at some point and time, somebody convinced those in the church that images on paint and wood (venerated) equated to venerating that person in heaven.

Whoops

I know you people are smart enough to see the pagan influence on the EO church.  Come on folks, use your brain.

There is a huge history of Christianity that is also outside of the RC/EO faith.   This isn't a "gates of hell prevailing against it" argument.  That verse said by an EO Christian would indicate the EO church as "THE CHURCH" rather than seeing "THE CHURCH" outside of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Look, don't be blind, this is very cut and dry obvious.  Look at the buddhist icons, complete with "blessing hand signs", auras (cough cough) halos, etc. 

We were commanded by God not to make images in the likeness of things in Heaven, on Earth, or under the Sea.  The EO church does make these images, iconodules have killed for these images even.  They are pagan of Eastern influence....

Correlation does not determine causation.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #253 on: October 10, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com/en/images/thumb/3/3b/Url-555.jpg/250px-Url-555.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AiiMT3pYin4/TL7gPRW8CrI/AAAAAAAAAA0/Cf_NZSDEfiA/s1600/DSC02262.JPG
http://indianapublicmedia.org/arts/files/2010/06/0tmbcc-temple.jpg
http://orthodoxphilly.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Orthodox-Church-of-the-Holy-Cross-NJ.jpg
Whoops

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d5/a8/8c/d5a88cd50daada4e4b4ab5aa0e2e726e.jpg
http://towardseast.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/monk_with_prayer_rope.jpg?w=584

http://idp.bl.uk/4DCGI/education/buddhism_pack/images/buddhapreach.jpg[/img]
http://alphastoredesign.com/search-images/www.holytrinitystore.com/images/christ-enthroned-1973.jpg[/img]

Well, the reason I asked here is because I've asked in other threads that were more on topic and I never got a response.  Undecided  If you don't have answers to it, just say so.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #254 on: October 10, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com/en/images/thumb/3/3b/Url-555.jpg/250px-Url-555.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AiiMT3pYin4/TL7gPRW8CrI/AAAAAAAAAA0/Cf_NZSDEfiA/s1600/DSC02262.JPG
http://orthodoxphilly.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Orthodox-Church-of-the-Holy-Cross-NJ.jpg
Whoops

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d5/a8/8c/d5a88cd50daada4e4b4ab5aa0e2e726e.jpg

http://alphastoredesign.com/search-images/www.holytrinitystore.com/images/christ-enthroned-1973.jpg[/img]

Well, the reason I asked here is because I've asked in other threads that were more on topic and I never got a response.  Undecided  If you don't have answers to it, just say so.

Don't hold your breath.  I don't want your wife to find you blue in the face.  Try explaining that.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #255 on: October 10, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »

Whoops

THen you cant worship Christ as the Son of God because of this guy...pagan influence and all:

PP

Gregory the Great

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #256 on: October 10, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »

I believe that there will be many who disagree with you on this one.  Including me.   Even the scriptures deal with how they worshiped.

Show me where it says that icons aren't used. We know for a fact that the temple in Jerusalem had images.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:19:56 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Giuseppe Verdi
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

« Reply #257 on: October 10, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »

'

I didn't read it out of context.  Jews do not use images, and the ones who did were accused of idolatry.

I didn't cite the buddhist religion, I stated that the buddhists influenced iconography..... How else did halos/auras come to be?

Yeah, it was out of context. Read and translate; ΟΥ ποιήσετε ὑμῖν αὐτοῖς χειροποίητα, οὐδὲ γλυπτά, οὐδὲ στήλην ἀναστήσετε ὑμῖν, οὐδὲ λίθον σκοπὸν θήσετε ἐν τῇ γῇ ὑμῶν προσκυνῆσαι αὐτῷ· ἐγώ εἰμι Κύριος ὁ Θεὸς ὑμῶν.

לֹא-תַעֲשׂוּ לָכֶם אֱלִילִם, וּפֶסֶל וּמַצֵּבָה לֹא-תָקִימוּ לָכֶם, וְאֶבֶן מַשְׂכִּית לֹא תִתְּנוּ בְּאַרְצְכֶם, לְהִשְׁתַּחֲו‍ֹת עָלֶיהָ:  כִּי אֲנִי יְהוָה, אֱלֹהֵיכֶם.

ego Dominus Deus vester non facietis vobis idolum et sculptile nec titulos erigetis nec insignem lapidem ponetis in terra vestra ut adoretis eum ego enim sum Dominus Deus vester

P.S. Moses head glowed when he came down from Mt. Sinai, (Exodus 34:34-35) and so did Christ, when Moses was with Him, on Mt. Tabor. (Matthew 17) Or do you deny the reality of the Transfiguration?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:40:37 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #258 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:08 PM »

'

I didn't read it out of context.  Jews do not use images, and the ones who did were accused of idolatry.

Yeah, it was out of context. Read and translate; ΟΥ ποιήσετε ὑμῖν αὐτοῖς χειροποίητα, οὐδὲ γλυπτά, οὐδὲ στήλην ἀναστήσετε ὑμῖν, οὐδὲ λίθον σκοπὸν θήσετε ἐν τῇ γῇ ὑμῶν προσκυνῆσαι αὐτῷ· ἐγώ εἰμι Κύριος ὁ Θεὸς ὑμῶν.

לֹא-תַעֲשׂוּ לָכֶם אֱלִילִם, וּפֶסֶל וּמַצֵּבָה לֹא-תָקִימוּ לָכֶם, וְאֶבֶן מַשְׂכִּית לֹא תִתְּנוּ בְּאַרְצְכֶם, לְהִשְׁתַּחֲו‍ֹת עָלֶיהָ:  כִּי אֲנִי יְהוָה, אֱלֹהֵיכֶם.

ego Dominus Deus vester non facietis vobis idolum et sculptile nec titulos erigetis nec insignem lapidem ponetis in terra vestra ut adoretis eum ego enim sum Dominus Deus vester
I think YiM has gone full zeitgeist on us.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #259 on: October 10, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »

Jews NEVER used images or they were called idolatrous?

Those winged things on the top are just handles, right?

We're done here.

PP

Gregory the Great

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #260 on: October 10, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »

I am also confused how you can believe that the Eucharist is Christ's true Body and Blood, but not accept the Church.  The Orthodox say it only happens through the Church, but it seems if you believe in the protestant view of an invisible church.  How does an invisible church change the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ?  What if your pastor is secretly skeptical of his faith? Does that make the communion he offers invalid? Can anyone consecrate the elements?  Once I realized that the Eucharist is the true Body and Blood of Christ, the concept of an invisible church just kind of falls apart.

Whoops

St. John used the pagan concept of Logos Spermatikos to describe The Son of God. If our Theology can be based on originally pagan ideas, why not Iconography? If you have a problem with Christianizing pagan concepts then you also have a problem with the Scriptures and St. John the Apostle.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:30:15 PM by sheenj » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #261 on: October 10, 2013, 01:32:42 PM »

We're done here.

PP

Yup.  Jews didn't worship the ark and Orthodox Christians don't worship icons.

xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

« Reply #262 on: October 10, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

We're done here.

PP

Yup.  Jews didn't worship the ark and Orthodox Christians don't worship icons.

They didn't worship the Temple either, they worshipped God who dwelt in the Temple, and Who the Temple represented.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »

I know you people are smart enough to see the pagan influence on the EO church.  Come on folks, use your brain.

There is a huge history of Christianity that is also outside of the RC/EO faith.   This isn't a "gates of hell prevailing against it" argument.  That verse said by an EO Christian would indicate the EO church as "THE CHURCH" rather than seeing "THE CHURCH" outside of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Look, don't be blind, this is very cut and dry obvious.  Look at the buddhist icons, complete with "blessing hand signs", auras (cough cough) halos, etc.  

We were commanded by God not to make images in the likeness of things in Heaven, on Earth, or under the Sea.  The EO church does make these images, iconodules have killed for these images even.  They are pagan of Eastern influence....

JUST like all the funky mysticism.  All pagan influence.

There is 7 k km between Stanbul and India. How could Buddhism influenced Christianity so heavily?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »

I know you people are smart enough to see the pagan influence on the EO church.  Come on folks, use your brain.

There is a huge history of Christianity that is also outside of the RC/EO faith.   This isn't a "gates of hell prevailing against it" argument.  That verse said by an EO Christian would indicate the EO church as "THE CHURCH" rather than seeing "THE CHURCH" outside of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Look, don't be blind, this is very cut and dry obvious.  Look at the buddhist icons, complete with "blessing hand signs", auras (cough cough) halos, etc.  

We were commanded by God not to make images in the likeness of things in Heaven, on Earth, or under the Sea.  The EO church does make these images, iconodules have killed for these images even.  They are pagan of Eastern influence....

JUST like all the funky mysticism.  All pagan influence.

There is 7 k km between Stanbul and India. How could Buddhism influenced Christianity so heavily?

He'll probably say the trade route of the Silk Road. 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »

He'll probably say the trade route of the Silk Road. 

Yeah, they were bringing iconostasises on camels.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #266 on: October 10, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »

At some point and time, somebody convinced those in the church that a book should be the focus of worship:

And to fold hands while praying:

And to gather in large numbers and make hand motions:

Note the incorporation of pagan East Asian images in their worship!!!!!  Brazen idolatry!!!

These Christians use prayer cloths in their worship, just like pagans:

And use modern musical instruments:

And wear robes and bless people with objects:

And build expensive places of worship:

And handle snakes:

I know you're smart enough to see the pagan influence.  Come on, use your brain! 

Look, don't be blind, this is very cut and dry obvious.  Look at the Hindu temples and prayers, complete with "hand signs", sacred books, snakes, etc. 

We are commanded by God not to be like the pagans.  And yet all those Christian practices are of pagan and Eastern influence....

No kidding. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #267 on: October 10, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »

Bless you, Mor.  You made my day.  My computer screen will survive.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #268 on: October 10, 2013, 02:08:13 PM »

There is a huge history of Christianity that is also outside of the RC/EO faith
On this yesh, you are correct. There IS a huge history of Christianity outside the Church...its called heresy.

PP

Gregory the Great

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #269 on: October 10, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

Best nickname ever.  laugh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: