OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 10:52:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serbian Orthodox Church 9/29  (Read 829 times) Average Rating: 0
Garfield-$

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Pray The Rosary Daily

« on: September 26, 2013, 02:43:26 AM »

Many Salutations!

I gots me a Serbian Parish and a Greek Orthodox one near by. I have an OCA one as well, but it's a Mission.

I'm going to introduce myself to the priest if I happen to get the chance to do so after or before DL.

I'm fairly happy with my Roman Catholic faith - the much lambasted Mass on the internet - Novus Ordo.

I'm down witht Ecumenism. I haven't read all of the (2008?) Ravenna Document, but I'm fairly impressed with the Second Vatican Council's dictates of Synodality. With this new Pope I hope to see some good action in that area. To bring the Holy Roman Church into Devolution and Synodality as our Eastern and Oriental Brothers in Christ. Maybe it will get the Southern Poverty Law Center's Rad Trads off the Holy Fathers' (plural) back.

Anyways, what are the do's and do not's of participating in a Serbian Parish? The one thing I can come up with is to go with the flow.

¡Viva Cristo Rey!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:43:46 AM »

You are not allowed to take  the Eucharist.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 04:45:54 AM »

Welcome to the forum  Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »

Many Salutations!

I gots me a Serbian Parish and a Greek Orthodox one near by. I have an OCA one as well, but it's a Mission.

I'm going to introduce myself to the priest if I happen to get the chance to do so after or before DL.

I'm fairly happy with my Roman Catholic faith - the much lambasted Mass on the internet - Novus Ordo.

I'm down witht Ecumenism. I haven't read all of the (2008?) Ravenna Document, but I'm fairly impressed with the Second Vatican Council's dictates of Synodality. With this new Pope I hope to see some good action in that area. To bring the Holy Roman Church into Devolution and Synodality as our Eastern and Oriental Brothers in Christ. Maybe it will get the Southern Poverty Law Center's Rad Trads off the Holy Fathers' (plural) back.

Anyways, what are the do's and do not's of participating in a Serbian Parish? The one thing I can come up with is to go with the flow.

¡Viva Cristo Rey!
I echo the words of welcome from Asterikos, and also the Words of Michal of not being able to commune.

In general, the Serb parishes are ones with pews. Except anywhere from 20-50% of the Liturgy to be in a language other than english, be it Church Slavonic or Serbian. There should be service books to follow along with, if you so desire(I suggest not to, but at the same time I do, if it is easier for you to follow along, especially with the non English parts).

Honestly though, you'll learn the most by just following along what the people do.

SCREW BON JOVI!
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »

Yuck, an Ecumenist.  Wink

Umm, sign yourself often. Reverence the icons.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Garfield-$

Pray The Rosary Daily

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »

Hello my extended family members!

Yes, well, ecumenism, the way I see it, is talking. Dialoguing brings peace and understanding.   angel

Do not take the Eucharist - Check police

Sign yourself often- Check police

Reverence the Icons - Check police

Yea I was kinda hoping the Liturgy would be all in English, but I've been to a Latin Mass before. So the foriegn language aspect is nothing bad. I'll try to sit in the front to get a close look at the goings on.

Is there any particular reason the Serbian Orthodoxy use pews and not say the Greek Orhodox?

Do the Greeks use all English liturgies? i plan on checking out the three Orthodoxy faith centers near me in the weeks to come. I think in a little bit later today i will call up the Serbian parish and ask some questions.

Also, do bishops have wives? I'm not sure they do. Hopefully the Holy Roman Church will copy Orhodoxy in the marriage department. That would be cool, i think. It would be cool to go back to the first thousand year's Administration.

Also, is there a Syriac Orthodoxy?  My Roman parish hosts the Syriac Catholics liturgy on the first Sunday of the month. I'll be sure to check that out in October. Exploring is cool.

Thanks Bros.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »

Also, is there a Syriac Orthodoxy?  My Roman parish hosts the Syriac Catholics liturgy on the first Sunday of the month. I'll be sure to check that out in October. Exploring is cool.

Yes, there is.  I don't know where you live exactly, but I would be surprised if you had Syriac Catholics in your area but not Syriac Orthodox. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Garfield-$

Pray The Rosary Daily

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »

Hello Mor!

Yes, i just checked. The Syriac Orthodox are based out of the Serbian Orthodox parish in the central part of the county.  It's a different Serbian parish to the one I'm going to on Sunday.  It looks bigger on Google Maps. But mine is still a cute little parish.  laugh

The Syriac Catholics have a Mission based out of my Roman parish in the north of the county.

I guess I never thought about visiting until now. lol.

I have a GoArch parish 30min away with traffic lights. I'll go there sometime in October. I think their Liturgy is in English.

Hopefully more Syrian Christians move into my county. Would be cool to see them pump money into constructing a parish.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 03:58:33 AM »

No, bishops do not have wives.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
tangentdi

Jurisdiction: Antiochian, Greek, Russian,

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 04:33:20 AM »

Hello and blessings,

I'm no expert on the cross culture differences between the languages of the Orthodox church, but as a cradle Orthodox I've jumped between Jurisdictions fairly often.  It seems to me that each church has its own gift to offer, if English is your native language its really good to first hear the Holy Liturgy in English, but try them all. Do your reading on the Saints, and enjoy the Orthodox!

God bless,
~Tangentdi
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »

Hello my extended family members!

Yes, well, ecumenism, the way I see it, is talking. Dialoguing brings peace and understanding.   angel

Do not take the Eucharist - Check police

Sign yourself often- Check police

Reverence the Icons - Check police

Yea I was kinda hoping the Liturgy would be all in English, but I've been to a Latin Mass before. So the foriegn language aspect is nothing bad. I'll try to sit in the front to get a close look at the goings on.

Is there any particular reason the Serbian Orthodoxy use pews and not say the Greek Orhodox?

Do the Greeks use all English liturgies? i plan on checking out the three Orthodoxy faith centers near me in the weeks to come. I think in a little bit later today i will call up the Serbian parish and ask some questions.

Also, do bishops have wives? I'm not sure they do. Hopefully the Holy Roman Church will copy Orhodoxy in the marriage department. That would be cool, i think. It would be cool to go back to the first thousand year's Administration.

Thanks Bros.

Greeks do have pews, and are(normally) one of the highest percentages of having a LOTE compared to english. And bishops are monastics, so they are not married, though some obtain(from what ive heard) divorces to become a monastic and a bishop, with the former wife also becoming a monastic.

And, the syriacs are the Antiochians, http://www.antiochian.org/

SCREW BON JOVI!
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »

And, the syriacs are the Antiochians, http://syrianorthodoxchurch.org/

FTFY. Wink
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »

oh no, i knew exactly what i was posting, and as such, fixed the error you have introduced :-P

(also, for the sake of OP, the Antiochians are those who offensive wording removed accept Chalcedon, and are in communion with the Orthodox Church, and those who call themselves Syrian do not, and are in communion with the rest of the non-Chalcedonians. and of course, sheenj will offensive wording removed take issue with this, because he takes the view of his own church, as he should)

Please note:Judgemental terms should be avoided in posting within the Convert Issues Forum. Whether intentionally meaning to offend or unwarily offending a convert Forum member be they Eastern Orthodox (Old or Nerw Calendarist) or Oriental Orthodox, judgement calls like the deleted word  can be veiwed as offensive and fails to meet the standard of a non-jusdgemental forum for Eastern Orthodox (Old or Nerw Calendarist) or Oriental Orthodox converts discussing their common convert issues. It can also be confusing to non-orthodox inquiers who are seeking to explore and understand the orthodox churches .Please avoid this in the furture.
Thank you, Thomas, Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:39:07 PM by Thomas » Logged

SCREW BON JOVI!
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »

oh no, i knew exactly what i was posting, and as such, fixed the error you have introduced :-P

(also, for the sake of OP, the Antiochians are those who rightly accept Chalcedon, and are in communion with the Orthodox Church, and those who call themselves Syrian do not, and are in communion with the rest of the non-Chalcedonians. and of course, sheenj will rightly take issue with this, because he takes the view of his own church, as he should)

Don't worry, I know who's in communion with who. I was just noting that the discussion about Syrian Christians had, up until your comment, been specifically about Syriac-rite Christians.

(P.S. The Syriacs are Antiochians as well.)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »

(also, for the sake of OP, the Antiochians are those who rightly accept Chalcedon, and are in communion with the Orthodox Church, and those who call themselves Syrian do not, and are in communion with the rest of the non-Chalcedonians. and of course, sheenj will rightly take issue with this, because he takes the view of his own church, as he should)

Actually, no, it is not at all accurate to say "the syriacs (sic) are the Antiochians" and then link to the website for the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America. 

Both Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian Syrians referred to themselves as "Syrian Orthodox" in English when first emigrating to North America.  Eventually, the disagreement over who can rightly claim that name in English became a legal dispute, and the Court judged in favour of the non-Chalcedonians.  They retained the usage "Syrian Orthodox", while the Chalcedonians adopted "Antiochian Orthodox".  That's a civil, and not canonical, legal ruling, and perhaps pertains only to the US, but it seems that the Chalcedonian Antiochians went with that usage in English throughout the world, and it has largely avoided confusion.   

Around the year 2000 IIRC, the Syrian Orthodox bishops in the US began to push use of the term "Syriac" instead of "Syrian" to highlight the Syriac people, spread throughout the Middle East and the diaspora, instead of a narrow association with the Syrian Arab Republic.  This was not followed by a widespread reclaiming of "Syrian Orthodox" by the Chalcedonian Antiochians, nor have they claimed to be "syriacs" (laughable on multiple counts). 

I have no issue with clarifying for an inquirer the difference between EO and OO, but redefining commonly accepted naming conventions in order to promote one group which "rightly accept Chalcedon, and are in communion with the Orthodox Church" over another (as if this assertion is so abundantly clear to anyone with two functioning neurons that it defies reason why it should have to be mentioned at all) is not helpful.  First of all, you inject polemic into a subject which the OP most likely has little knowledge.  Second of all, clicking on antiochian.org will not clarify that "the syriacs (sic) are the Antiochians" because nothing there addresses the issue of "syriacs".  Finally, the original poster is Roman Catholic, has expressed happiness with his current faith and no evident interest in converting.  His Church accepts both EO and OO as Orthodox, with or without Chalcedon.  His desire seems to be familiarising himself with the Christian East without committing a major faux pas, not joining your ax-grinding ministry.  Yours could've been a helpful contribution, but not this time.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »

Actually, no, it is not at all accurate to say "the syriacs (sic) are the Antiochians" and then link to the website for the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America. 

Both Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian Syrians referred to themselves as "Syrian Orthodox" in English when first emigrating to North America.  Eventually, the disagreement over who can rightly claim that name in English became a legal dispute, and the Court judged in favour of the non-Chalcedonians.  They retained the usage "Syrian Orthodox", while the Chalcedonians adopted "Antiochian Orthodox".  That's a civil, and not canonical, legal ruling, and perhaps pertains only to the US, but it seems that the Chalcedonian Antiochians went with that usage in English throughout the world, and it has largely avoided confusion.   

Around the year 2000 IIRC, the Syrian Orthodox bishops in the US began to push use of the term "Syriac" instead of "Syrian" to highlight the Syriac people, spread throughout the Middle East and the diaspora, instead of a narrow association with the Syrian Arab Republic.  This was not followed by a widespread reclaiming of "Syrian Orthodox" by the Chalcedonian Antiochians, nor have they claimed to be "syriacs" (laughable on multiple counts). 

I have no issue with clarifying for an inquirer the difference between EO and OO, but redefining commonly accepted naming conventions in order to promote one group which "rightly accept Chalcedon, and are in communion with the Orthodox Church" over another (as if this assertion is so abundantly clear to anyone with two functioning neurons that it defies reason why it should have to be mentioned at all) is not helpful.  First of all, you inject polemic into a subject which the OP most likely has little knowledge.  Second of all, clicking on antiochian.org will not clarify that "the syriacs (sic) are the Antiochians" because nothing there addresses the issue of "syriacs".  Finally, the original poster is Roman Catholic, has expressed happiness with his current faith and no evident interest in converting.  His Church accepts both EO and OO as Orthodox, with or without Chalcedon.  His desire seems to be familiarising himself with the Christian East without committing a major faux pas, not joining your ax-grinding ministry.  Yours could've been a helpful contribution, but not this time.   
I am going to back off, and apologize for my conduct, and thank you for your informative post, which is a lot more helpful contribution than what mine was, and I am sorry for what  have done.

SCREW BON JOVI!
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »

From my observation Serbian parishes in USA are more English oriented (English is being used more often during Liturgy as well as in the parish life in general) than in Canada. It pretty much depends on the priest. Sime are American born of Serbian decents and some are nonSerbs...it differs from parish to parish. Check their website. God bless you!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: