Author Topic: Frank Shaeffer equates Orthodox Church with Religious Right  (Read 6980 times)

Offline William T

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Frank Shaeffer equates Orthodox Church with Religious Right
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »
this  has  not  been  my  observation

I guess it depends where you live.

Aside from the gay marriage issue and the decline in traditional religion, I'd say Americans in many ways are more conservative than in the past, especially the 70's.

That's an Empirical question, hard data would be nice.  But using the 70's as some gold standard isn't really fair.  That's almost like like saying Germany took a leftward swing after world War 2, or the Soviet Bloc went right after its collapse.  That was the most left wing Era the US had.

Besides the baby boomers are in full power now, and our generation has been raised off their stories.  Any of us who are artists, live in a left wing city, attended the humanities,or just watch TV ought understand this.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/09/12/the-rise-of-the-new-new-left.html

It may be fair to say we are the most left wing since the 70s .... but still less so than the 70's and 30s.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:15:22 AM by William T »
"While other animals look downwards at the ground, he gave human beings an upturned aspect, commanding them to look towards the skies, and, upright, raise their face to the stars. So the earth, that had been, a moment ago, uncarved and imageless, changed and assumed the unknown shapes of human beings."

Ovid, Metamorphosis Book I

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »
Those are two of the more vapid articles I've seen being professed as news. They are from conservative sources and don't even define "conservative" or "liberal" or even explain what sort of criteria they used to measure this move. I chalk that up more to wishful thinking by the right wing than any sort of substantive move by the country.
Praise to be kelly the all-benificent for granting me permission to change my sig line.

Obligatory: "It's a mystery! Ask your priest/spiritual father. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. Marital fasting."

Offline William T

« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2013/09/30/americans-are-more-conservative-than-they-have-been-in-decades/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2013/10/14/study-conservative-americans/

my point was I had a different hunch, and I could use news sources to back my claim because news sources in and of themselves don't help without a criterea given.

You  need to state  a criterea and show data to back it up (budget spending, voting, etc). 

"While other animals look downwards at the ground, he gave human beings an upturned aspect, commanding them to look towards the skies, and, upright, raise their face to the stars. So the earth, that had been, a moment ago, uncarved and imageless, changed and assumed the unknown shapes of human beings."

Ovid, Metamorphosis Book I