OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:04:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frank Shaeffer equates Orthodox Church with Religious Right  (Read 4727 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »

Abolishing Patriarchate of Moscow... Either way, I do not see the Church surviving the Bolshevik Revolution intact, when Marxist ideologists saw any religion as competition. And certainly the Bolsheviks and their successors saw it as such, evidenced by the state persecution of Muslims, Buddhists, and other Christians in addition to the Synodial Church.

The tzars abolished the Patriarchate, not Bolsheviks.

Yes I know. I assumed you were arguing the Holy Synod "ended badly" with the Revolution and abolishment of the Church of itself.

I'm arguing Church made nothing more than government department ruled by lay oberprosecuter is bad itself, isn't it?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »

Abolishing Patriarchate of Moscow... Either way, I do not see the Church surviving the Bolshevik Revolution intact, when Marxist ideologists saw any religion as competition. And certainly the Bolsheviks and their successors saw it as such, evidenced by the state persecution of Muslims, Buddhists, and other Christians in addition to the Synodial Church.

The tzars abolished the Patriarchate, not Bolsheviks.

Yes I know. I assumed you were arguing the Holy Synod "ended badly" with the Revolution and abolishment of the Church of itself.

I'm arguing Church made nothing more than government department ruled by lay oberprosecuter is bad itself, isn't it?

I don't think there are many in the Church who look back fondly on the Holy Synod, except to reminisce about the "glory of the Russian Empire." Even so the abolishment of the Patriarchate is a long, long way from the cooperation between Church and state today and the cooperation that has occurred historically. From the perspective of Church leaders... It makes sense to be friendly with political authorities, if it helps the Church regain the influence it lost under the Soviets. The Church is still a social institution.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:20:38 PM by NightOwl » Logged
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »

Whats his deal with the religious right?

Thank you.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »

Who is Frank Schaeffer and why is he so well known amongst some Orthodox?  I looked him up on Wikipedia but it didn't really give any indication as to why his name is well known. 
Look up his father, Francis Schaeffer.

Me thinks Frank jr. carries a lot of his father's baggage.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »

The Orthodox church is neither religious right or religious left, but it is religious correct.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »

Who is Frank Schaeffer and why is he so well known amongst some Orthodox?  I looked him up on Wikipedia but it didn't really give any indication as to why his name is well known. 

Sounds like a decent son then.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Clemente

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »

I don't see why folks are upset, since the politics board skews to the right.

Then again, the world is not confined to our politics board. There are plenty of non-conservative Orthodox outside the bubble. Where I come from, most Orthodox are liberal, and so are most non-Orthodox too.

Apparently some folks could use more trips outside their personal bubbles.
That is interesting, because in my trips to GA, I was never struck by an overwhelming sense of liberality.  Quite the opposite, actually.

Metropolitan means the head of the clerical jurisdiction known as a Metropolis. I have had the blessing of seeing our actual one come to visit our parish several times. Again, I don't live in Georgia.

It does not mean only 'city' in Greek Orthodox clerical terms. Don't you know that, since you've been Orthodox longer than me?

By the way, even in Georgia, the U.S. state, there are lots of liberals. Just so you know.

Oh right. Well, since most people where you come from are liberal, that must mean that they tend to be Democrats. Which state in the Metropolis of Atlanta has a Democrat governor and two Democrat senators?

I can't think of any.

I still think you too live in a bubble, in your case a liberal one in an otherwise red (or at least purple) state. Moreover, you don't recognise it.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »

The Orthodox church is neither religious right or religious left, but it is religious correct.

No but individual members may be liberal or conservative.

Thank you.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frankschaeffer/2013/09/american-religious-right-and-russian-orthodox-leaders-are-colluding-in-putins-persecution-of-gay-people/

It's a pretty harsh article, but he makes a few good points.

Specifically:
1. Violence against people (specifically homosexuals) should be condemned by the Church

2. Church and State should be an arms length from each other.

3. Americanism is threatening Russia and needs to be managed.

That is not to say that the Church shouldn't voice it's opinion on issues, but that those issues should simply be a matter of doctrine, not a matter of public policy.

Frank Shaeffer does seem to go a little too far here though.

What is the point of having doctrine that is not public policy? I really was wondering and just am not sure how it works in general.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2013, 09:23:58 PM »

Then again, the world is not confined to our politics board. There are plenty of non-conservative Orthodox outside the bubble. Where I come from, most Orthodox are liberal, and so are most non-Orthodox too.

That is interesting, because in my trips to GA, I was never struck by an overwhelming sense of liberality.  Quite the opposite, actually.

Metropolitan means the head of the clerical jurisdiction known as a Metropolis. I have had the blessing of seeing our actual one come to visit our parish several times. Again, I don't live in Georgia.

It does not mean only 'city' in Greek Orthodox clerical terms. Don't you know that, since you've been Orthodox longer than me?

By the way, even in Georgia, the U.S. state, there are lots of liberals. Just so you know.

Oh right. Well, since most people where you come from are liberal, that must mean that they tend to be Democrats. Which state in the Metropolis of Atlanta has a Democrat governor and two Democrat senators?

I can't think of any.

I still think you too live in a bubble, in your case a liberal one in an otherwise red (or at least purple) state. Moreover, you don't recognise it.

I still didn't say where I'm *from*. It's not where I'm living now.

Please try to learn how to parse a paragraph at some point.

Again, not everybody Orthodox is right-wing. Sorry to shock you so much.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Clemente

Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »

I can't think of any.

I still didn't say where I'm *from*. It's not where I'm living now.

Please try to learn how to parse a paragraph at some point.

Again, not everybody Orthodox is right-wing. Sorry to shock you so much.
Oh. Ok...

So, to "parse your paragraph", when you lived in the place where you are "from" (which is not where you evidently come from now), most people, both Orthodox and heterodox, "are" left wing. (I believe "were" left wing would have been be clearer here in English).

However, now in the Metropolis of Atlanta, where you live but are not from, most people are in fact conservative. You live in an area where most self identified Christian are not left-wing, as you evidently are. So, in your current location, as a left winger, you are also living in a bubble. That must be frustrating.

Since you are thus evidently new to the area, since this is not where you are from, apparently you could use a trip outside your personal bubble. Have a jog over to Buckhead.

Sorry to shock you so much, but your advice smacks of hypocrisy.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »

Thread locked pending further review

Please remember that this is the Christian News board, NOT one of the Free-For-All boards.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:50:02 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »

Basic recommendation: AVOID Frank Schaeffer; he is ANTI- Orthodox.

Antiochian OC N.A.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2013, 12:44:39 PM »

Thread unlocked now that it's been moved to Religious Topics
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:45:07 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »

Plus a couple of suitcases of 'daddy issues'.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Daedelus1138
Elder

« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2013, 09:30:20 AM »

I'm a liberal and I don't really disagree with what Frank Shaeffer says, but I don't understand where the anger he feels comes from.  I suspect alot of it is due to not sufficiently repenting for how much he himself bought into the "Right" that he now decries, or due to living under the shadow of a well-known father. I've even seen and read some of his Orthodox stuff- he had a serious case of "convert-itis" and denounced Western Christianity stridently at times.  But now its uncool to be a political reactionary, the Bush years are over, and Obama made progressivism trendy... So...  The impression I get is that he just wants to be in the limelight even if it is not appropriate.

If he genuinely wanted to be happier, and if he thought his politics were so important, he could join a church that would align more with his values.  If he genuinely wanted to be happier.  As I see it, he has sort of settled on Orthodoxy because he can't bring himself to just become a humble mainline Protestant, still too close to where he started off, perhaps.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:43:56 AM by Daedelus1138 » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2013, 09:42:13 AM »

I never cared for his old, recorded talks/interviews on Youtube (saw a couple and meh) and his writing lacks "something"; I just don't care for it.  And now that he's a self-proclaimed "Christian atheist" or whatever, I really won't be looking him up for an Orthodox perspective.

Daedelus1138
Elder

« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »

I never cared for his old, recorded talks/interviews on Youtube (saw a couple and meh) and his writing lacks "something"; I just don't care for it.  And now that he's a self-proclaimed "Christian atheist" or whatever, I really won't be looking him up for an Orthodox perspective.

The videos always struck me as a bit wierd, a little creepy even, even back then when I was much more enthusiastic for Orthodoxy, I knew that Schaeffer had not been Orthodox long enough to be speaking with so much certainty about theological and historical matters, so he came across as enthusiastic rather than thoughtful.    The past couple of years has been the same thing, only now he has shifted to a leftward political involvement.  Some of the anger on Schaeffer's part I could understand... but he's allowing it to take over his life and become cynicism.  That is very bad stuff.

Contrast all this with someone like Fr. Thomas Hopko- he's obviously got convictions but he isn't cruel or harsh when he is talking about people that are not Orthodox.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:11:48 AM by Daedelus1138 » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »

I never cared for his old, recorded talks/interviews on Youtube (saw a couple and meh) and his writing lacks "something"; I just don't care for it.  And now that he's a self-proclaimed "Christian atheist" or whatever, I really won't be looking him up for an Orthodox perspective.

The videos always struck me as a bit wierd, a little creepy even, even back then when I was much more enthusiastic for Orthodoxy, I knew that Schaeffer had not been Orthodox long enough to be speaking with so much certainty about theological and historical matters, so he came across as enthusiastic rather than thoughtful.    The past couple of years has been the same thing, only now he has shifted to a leftward political involvement.  Some of the anger on Schaeffer's part I could understand... but he's allowing it to take over his life and become cynicism.  That is very bad stuff.

Contrast all this with someone like Fr. Thomas Hopko- he's obviously got convictions but he isn't cruel or harsh when he is talking about people that are not Orthodox.

Yeah, they are weird.  I have met some hyperdox folks (disclosure:  I went through an "enthusiastic" phase) that sound like they memorized his talks, almost using his videos as a catechism.  I steered clear from him, thankfully.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2013, 08:10:06 PM »

Frank Schaeffer tells why he left the religious right behind in a 17th Oct. 2013 interview.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:10:56 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »

Frank Schaeffer tells why he left the religious right behind in a 17th Oct. 2013 interview.

Good interview. As a former Evangelical myself, I resonate with a lot of what he says. The Religious Right are probably the single most harmful body of Christians who destroy the image of Christianity.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:51:49 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »

The Religious Right are probably the single most harmful body of Christians who destroy the image of Christianity.

This is probably the stupidest idea to come out of modern Christianity.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:08:56 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »

The Religious Right are probably the single most harmful body of Christians who destroy the image of Christianity.

Well, that was mean. Are you saying that the Religious Right are a positive development in Christianity? The reason why people are leaving religion is because of Taliban-like religious zealotry that underlies the Western European religious community. People who think that the Japanese earthquake is a punishment from God for believing in Shintoism, is not Christian.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:28:57 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »

Well, that was mean. Are you saying that the Religious Right are a positive development in Christianity? The reason why people are leaving religion are because of Taliban-like religious zealotry that underlies the Western European religious community. People who think that the Japanese earthquake is a punishment from God for believing in Shintoism is not Christian.

See, calling American fundamentalism "taliban-like" is what I'm talking about. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard but it gets parroted all the time. Believing in the Biblical concept that God is omnipotent and allows evil providentially is not the same as murdering people to anyone with any sort of rational capability.

I've been compared to Wahabists on other websites for saying that the Orthodox church is the true church. Absolutely insane.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »

Well, that was mean. Are you saying that the Religious Right are a positive development in Christianity? The reason why people are leaving religion are because of Taliban-like religious zealotry that underlies the Western European religious community. People who think that the Japanese earthquake is a punishment from God for believing in Shintoism is not Christian.

See, calling American fundamentalism "taliban-like" is what I'm talking about. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard but it gets parroted all the time. Believing in the Biblical concept that God is omnipotent and allows evil providentially is not the same as murdering people to anyone with any sort of rational capability.

I've been compared to Wahabists on other websites for saying that the Orthodox church is the true church. Absolutely insane.

That's not what the Religious Right believes though. I am not considering you a Wahhabi. But I would consider Calvinist types, who feel that the United States should be a theocracy like Switzerland was in the Middle Ages, far closer to Wahhabis than to Christ. I also cannot believe that you won't condemn people who believe that AIDS is a punishment from God on Africans and homosexuals, or that the earthquake is a punishment from God for believing in a non-Protestant religion. That's far more insane.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:44:26 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »

That's not what the Religious Right believes though. I am not considering you a Wahhabi. But I would consider Calvinist types, who feel that the United States should be a theocracy like Switzerland was in the Middle Ages, far closer to Wahhabis than to Christ. I also cannot believe that you won't condemn people who believe that AIDS is a punishment from God on Africans and homosexuals, or that the earthquake is a punishment from God for believing in a non-Protestant religion. That's far more insane.

Even more insane than believing in Adam and Eve?

"Calvinist types" don't think the US should be a theocracy. That's another straw man. Why can't you engage real people instead of political cartoons and soundbytes?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:52:03 PM by William » Logged

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

Even more insane than believing in Adam and Eve?

"Calvinist types" don't think the US should be a theocracy. That's another straw man. Why can't you engage real people instead of political cartoons and soundbytes?

Yes they do, they think the US should be ruled by Old Testament laws in Leviticus. That is not an abstraction, it's what they say and believe. We can go back and forth about what you think the Religious Right stands for and what I think it stands for, but I have engaged real people, some of my family are part of the Christian Zionist wing that believes Israel has some significance in Biblical prophecy even though they are so detached from historical Christian practice and belief, they believe that 'the Rapture' is going to save them and damn everybody else.

If you make another comment claiming I am ignorant about something I have lived in for a good seven years of my life, and something my family has been involved with and something I watch and have watched on a regular basis on Youtube and television, then I am not going to play around with you. Ridiculing me doesn't change the points raised.

I will raise them again, do you think that saying AIDS is a punishment on Africans and homosexuals by God is immoral and un-Christian, or not? Do you think saying the Japanese earthquake is a punishment by God is immoral and un-Christian or not? Do you think calling Roman Catholics idolaters is ignorant and bigoted, or not? You tell me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:09:17 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »

Yes they do, they think the US should be ruled by Old Testament laws in Leviticus. That is not an abstraction, it's what they say and believe.

Absolutely no one believes this.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2013, 12:31:49 PM »

Yes they do, they think the US should be ruled by Old Testament laws in Leviticus. That is not an abstraction, it's what they say and believe.

Haven't spent much time around Southern Presbyterians, have you?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »

This thread is descending into Politics, but I would suggest that for those who do not think that there are heretics within the wide spectrum of folks who the media call the 'religious right', I would suggest you search recent news using the term 'Christian Reconstructionism', it has a number of prominent political supporters and has been in the American news the past few weeks. Orthodoxy has no common religious ground with that movement. Were I to say more, it would be strictly political.

It is simply inaccurate and unfair to lump all followers of one political faction together in a broad term like the 'religious right' or 'religious progressivism'. Both are 'buzzwords' and neither is fair to those within each group who are not extremists.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:02:45 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »

A big problem with equating Orthodoxy with the religious right is one brought up below. Namely, much of the religious right thinks in terms of "Christian Zionism", a confused idea where Christ has not affected major aspects of the Old Testament situation that we believe he has:
Yes they do, they think the US should be ruled by Old Testament laws in Leviticus. That is not an abstraction, it's what they say and believe. We can go back and forth about what you think the Religious Right stands for and what I think it stands for, but I have engaged real people, some of my family are part of the Christian Zionist wing that believes Israel has some significance in Biblical prophecy even though they are so detached from historical Christian practice and belief, they believe that 'the Rapture' is going to save them and damn everybody else.
The idea of Redemption in Christianity is based on the belief that there is a Law (especially the Old Covenant) and that Christ has redeemed us from its power. In a major sense the Law is "becoming obsolete", as the apostle Paul states in one of his Epistles.

Paul also writes that we are Abraham's sons (Gal 3-4), and that therefore the promises are given to us. A central idea of "Christian" Zionism is that God's promise to Abraham's descendants about the Holy Land is only for those of Abraham's physical descendants through Isaac. This of course is not what Paul or Orthodoxy teach.
Daedelus1138
Elder

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »

Well, that was mean. Are you saying that the Religious Right are a positive development in Christianity? The reason why people are leaving religion is because of Taliban-like religious zealotry that underlies the Western European religious community. People who think that the Japanese earthquake is a punishment from God for believing in Shintoism, is not Christian.

I really disagree...  you'ld find similar sentiments in Eastern Orthodoxy, maybe even more than your average Roman Catholic in Europe.  If you don't, you are just looking through an idealistic filter.   Angry protesters wielding icons clashing with gay demonstrators, punching them and kicking them, is not Taliban-like religious zealotry?  Most European and American secularists disagree.

"Christian reconstructionism" fits perfectly with the romantic Orthodox notion of symphonia.  There's a certain brand of ex-Reformed Christian that will take to that like a duck takes to water.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:18:09 PM by Daedelus1138 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »

Southern Presbyterians only eat kosher foods?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »

Yeah, do you live in the United States? I wonder, if you claim this about Calvinists.

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »

I really disagree...  you'ld find similar sentiments in Eastern Orthodoxy, maybe even more than your average Roman Catholic in Europe.  If you don't, you are just looking through an idealistic filter.   Angry protesters wielding icons clashing with gay demonstrators, punching them and kicking them, is not Taliban-like religious zealotry?  Most European and American secularists disagree.

"Christian reconstructionism" fits perfectly with the romantic Orthodox notion of symphonia.  There's a certain brand of ex-Reformed Christian that will take to that like a duck takes to water.

So, it's 'Christian' to call curses on people... Good, I'll make a note of that.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »

They would be more selective than that. The C.Zionists propose that the OT is still in effect, and that therefore it applies to Israel as a nationality. Of course, one wonders why if that is true the Christian Zionists should not be encouraged to become Messianic Christians if it brings so many special blessings that Christianity alone does not.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:56:16 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2013, 04:03:44 PM »

I can't even begin to succinctly break it down. Within southern Presbyterians (and others of the Reformed ilk), there's a minority strain who want to see civil code aligned with biblical law. They don't necessarily call for ALL laws — the food example, they say, is negated, and make other concessions based on what  in the biblical code is civil, moral and I forget the third distinction — but make some kind of covenant argument about why the ones they want are still in effect. I can't really represent their position properly because I haven't read any of the literature in eight or nine years, but do a little googling of the names Greg Bahnsen, Cornelius Van Til and Gary North if you're interested in more.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »

Presbyterians don't even exist. I live in the same city that houses their national headquarters and main seminary and have never met one (except my dad). Most Calvinists are some kind of Evangelical these days.

Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »

Since when are reconstructionists representative of Reformed/Calvinists in America? William is right.

PS I'm a graduate of Calvin College
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:22:07 PM by Hinterlander » Logged
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »

Presbyterians don't even exist. I live in the same city that houses their national headquarters and main seminary and have never met one (except my dad). Most Calvinists are some kind of Evangelical these days.

I can remember Presbyterian and Congregationalist churches, Welsh Calvinists, Primitive Methodists (Never quite sure whether they were toilet trained or not) and others. Now the variety appears to have diminished somewhat except among the Black and happy clappy churches. The former all appear to have improbably long and unlikely names, such as St John Apostolic Church of the Whole World. (Well at least Zimbabwe and the Zimbabwean diaspora, but let's not quibble about size). Embarrassed
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:33:42 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2013, 10:48:23 PM »

Since when are reconstructionists representative of Reformed/Calvinists in America? William is right.

PS I'm a graduate of Calvin College

I agree that they are not necessarily representative, but they have had influence beyond their numbers and   I referenced them in connection with their role in the American religious right and their influence with several high profile politicians.
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »

Actually, if Wikipedia is to be believed, then some people do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominionism

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: I don't mean to brag but...
Jurisdiction: I've been in an Antiochian church.

My grandfather's uncle, Boris Half-Ear

« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2013, 11:41:47 PM »

I recall when I first heard about Frank Schaeffer. I saw some Youtube video of him in his earliest Orthodox years speaking at a church. He seemed perfectly reasonable then.

When I subsequently encountered his more recent stuff, I had a hard time believing it was the same person. Talk about "metanoia."

I'm thinking it has something to do with his mustache. He shaved that facial caterpillar off and lost his mind. Or perhaps it's the other way around.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2013, 12:34:24 AM »

Actually, if Wikipedia is to be believed, then some people do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominionism

The article more or less confirms what I've been saying in this thread.

Let's be honest here, when most progressives talk about "the religious right" they're using a buzzword to refer to people against homosexual marriage and abortion. The latter of which has a ton of opposition even outside of religious and conservative circles. And not to be too political here, but Orthodox Christians really shouldn't have a problem with someone opposing either.

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2013, 01:19:46 AM »

The article more or less confirms what I've been saying in this thread.

Let's be honest here, when most progressives talk about "the religious right" they're using a buzzword to refer to people against homosexual marriage and abortion. The latter of which has a ton of opposition even outside of religious and conservative circles. And not to be too political here, but Orthodox Christians really shouldn't have a problem with someone opposing either.

Maybe Progressives do use it as a buzzword, so what? That doesn't change the reality of the Religious Right. The Religious Right are Nativist Evangelical Protestants. Orthodox people should oppose the Religious Right on all of those fronts.

I oppose the Religious Right even though I am against abortion and homosexual marriages. Any sane person should oppose the Religious Right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Wf2w1HnBA - Pastor: Obama is the Antichrist; works for the Illuminati and the 'New World Order'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OygDw2m3z4U - Pastor: Orthodox-Catholic Christianity is Babylonian idol worship; Anti-Christ.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:31:01 AM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

Tags: Religious Right Frank Schaeffer 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: