OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:30:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frank Shaeffer equates Orthodox Church with Religious Right  (Read 4433 times) Average Rating: 0
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« on: September 25, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frankschaeffer/2013/09/american-religious-right-and-russian-orthodox-leaders-are-colluding-in-putins-persecution-of-gay-people/

It's a pretty harsh article, but he makes a few good points.

Specifically:
1. Violence against people (specifically homosexuals) should be condemned by the Church

2. Church and State should be an arms length from each other.

3. Americanism is threatening Russia and needs to be managed.

That is not to say that the Church shouldn't voice it's opinion on issues, but that those issues should simply be a matter of doctrine, not a matter of public policy.

Frank Shaeffer does seem to go a little too far here though.

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frankschaeffer/2013/09/american-religious-right-and-russian-orthodox-leaders-are-colluding-in-putins-persecution-of-gay-people/

It's a pretty harsh article, but he makes a few good points.

Specifically:
1. Violence against people (specifically homosexuals) should be condemned by the Church

2. Church and State should be an arms length from each other.

3. Americanism is threatening Russia and needs to be managed.

That is not to say that the Church shouldn't voice it's opinion on issues, but that those issues should simply be a matter of doctrine, not a matter of public policy.

Frank Shaeffer does seem to go a little too far here though.
How did he go too far, exactly?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »

I don't think he goes too far, and I agree with his points.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »

Schaeffer is a terrible writer. He also needs to take a drink. Even if he is basically right.

I am glad to be under Patriarch Bartholomew, and I'm sure Schaeffer is, too.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »

I, too, wondered where he went too far. I'm thankful he's willing to speak his mind, even if he's an awful writer.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »

So is he being Orthodox again or what? Last thing from him I saw had him seemingly denouncing the truth of Christianity. We really need a shrug emoticon on this board for times like this.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »

I recently found Crazy for God in a used book store.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:48:48 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 11:09:04 PM »

Who is Frank Schaeffer and why is he so well known amongst some Orthodox?  I looked him up on Wikipedia but it didn't really give any indication as to why his name is well known. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 11:09:59 PM »

Who is Frank Schaeffer and why is he so well known amongst some Orthodox?  I looked him up on Wikipedia but it didn't really give any indication as to why his name is well known. 
Look up his father, Francis Schaeffer.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »

That helps, thank you.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »

No dumping on things found in used book stores. Many of the best things are to be found there...Most people just can't tolerate a good book.

Isa, I found two entire sets of the Encyclopedia Brittanica in a dump. a DUMP. One set was 1971, the last (?) and most expansive edition ever printed before they turned it into a childrens' toy.

I laugh so hard when people laud Wikipedia for all its supposed knowledge.

No dumping on dumped books!
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »

His father's name has made him famous. Otherwise I don't think anyone could possibly care what he thinks more than, say, what I think.

Even if he has a point.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 11:21:15 PM »

True, when something is so obviously superior and helpful it really needs no extra promotion from us Smiley
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 11:25:10 PM »

True, when something is so obviously superior and helpful it really needs no extra promotion from us Smiley

Yeah... It's a free encyclopedia with 30 million articles in 287 languages... Those statistics speak for themselves.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 11:28:48 PM »

If they could spell and cite sources, things would improve fast.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »

Frank Schaffer wrote with an angry style when he was a right-wing conservative orthodox Christian. And the anger is still there as he writes from a more liberal point of view.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »

Frank Schaffer wrote with an angry style when he was a right-wing conservative orthodox Christian. And the anger is still there as he writes from a more liberal point of view.

What really disturbed me about New Atheism in particular was the angry tone of its visionaries. Why would the truth need to be defended with malice?
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 11:43:04 PM »

What really disturbed me about New Atheism in particular was the angry tone of its visionaries. Why would the truth need to be defended with malice?

anger =\= malice

Don't know about New Atheism, but I can't see anything malicious about Schaeffer.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 11:49:44 PM »

anger =\= malice

Don't know about New Atheism, but I can't see anything malicious about Schaeffer.

In the case of the former they go hand in hand.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »

His father's name has made him famous. Otherwise I don't think anyone could possibly care what he thinks more than, say, what I think.

Even if he has a point.

+1.  All he's good at doing by himself is ticking people off and displaying a smug, indignant self-righteousness that would give Achronos and augustin and JamesR a run for their money.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:12 AM »

For you invertebrates who think he doesn't go too far, well, he explicitly says that Orthodoxy should be pro-homosexuality, not just against beating homosexuals in parades. But I'm sure that that doesn't matter to some of you.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:31:50 AM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 12:34:02 AM »

Frankie may not have heard but his own patriarch recently came out against gay marriage. What will he do ? Will he denounce his own patriarch because Frankie always knows what's best for world Orthodoxy ?    laugh

http://www.aoiusa.org/blog/pat-bartholomew-no-to-homosexual-marriage/
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 12:38:41 AM »

For you invertebrates who think he doesn't go too far, well, he explicitly says that Orthodoxy should be pro-homosexuality, not just against beating homosexuals in parades. But I'm sure that that doesn't matter to some of you.

I love how 'he has a point' turns into 'I believe in everything else he might say and support him 100%'  when you read things.

I mean you have a point now and again too...

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 12:53:51 AM »

I love how 'he has a point' turns into 'I believe in everything else he might say and support him 100%'  when you read things.

I mean you have a point now and again too...

You should probably read threads before posting in them.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 01:01:09 AM »

Did the bishops also approve of Putin's divorce? Lips Sealed
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 01:07:41 AM »

No dumping on things found in used book stores. Many of the best things are to be found there...Most people just can't tolerate a good book.

Isa, I found two entire sets of the Encyclopedia Brittanica in a dump. a DUMP. One set was 1971, the last (?) and most expansive edition ever printed before they turned it into a childrens' toy.

No dumping on dumped books!

They will listen when there is a used internet .

I buy books used all the time, and even had prayers answered as to what books I wanted to find.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:09:32 AM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
#1Sinner
Moderated

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:13 AM »

Another protestant "convert" who couldn't completely leave behind his protestantism.

I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 04:52:23 AM »

Schaeffer is a terrible writer. He also needs to take a drink. Even if he is basically right.

+1

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 07:09:30 AM »

Wiki is probably the worst thing to happen since the dictionary.

And yet I find myself using it everyday.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »

Wiki is probably the worst thing to happen since the dictionary.

And yet I find myself using it everyday.

Uur rite, hoo nedz won of dose diktonairys?
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 08:33:43 AM »

Frank still hasn't shed all of his Protestant baggage.  The Protestant part of him (which I really think is his core) is the angry crusader who wants to change everything, usually with a heavy dose of moralism and smugness. Its kind of an iconoclastic spirit, really, kind of like the Puritans and other crusading Calvinist movements that have popped up from time to time in Church history.  What Franky seems to lack is that Orthodox and traditional Roman Catholic mellowness that strives for the golden mean, avoiding the passions as too inflammatory, and accepting the guidance of Holy Mother Church even when Holy Mother Church irritates us at times.  The Church is kind of like your Mother, even when she angers you, you keep your mouth shut and RESPECT her, because she's still your mother.  Enough said.

Profanity replaced with something more appropriate for the Public Forum  -PtA
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:18:24 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »

+1

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »

What he expresses, whether or not you or I agree with it in whole or part or not all, is his opinion on these issues. Now were does his opinion coincide with the mind of the Church is the real question, surely?

For me this man always comes across as part Protestant and his writings reflect that again. So for a reflection of an Orthodox view on anything there are so many other voices I would look to, rather than his.

Yes, I don't find the phenomena of so-called 'gay bashing' as anything else but repellent. However the huge efforts by many elements to convince us that an active homosexual lifestyle is morally equivalent cannot be squared with the long standing teachings of the Church.

As for so-called conservative politicians being taken in by a former KGB/FSB officer who appears not to moved too far on from totalitarian methodologies, perhaps this demonstrates that the so-called Religious Right's values are not in accord with the mind of the Church either. Both the pros and anti factions on this issue appear to have at least one thing in common, a value system distinct from true Christianity.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:05 AM »

Exactly. I had never heard of him or his father until I became Orthodox.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »

Exactly. I had never heard of him or his father until I became Orthodox.
His father is quite famous in evanglical Christianity, especially those with a more reformed perspective. Frank is famous mostly for dissing his dad.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »

What he expresses, whether or not you or I agree with it in whole or part or not all, is his opinion on these issues. Now were does his opinion coincide with the mind of the Church is the real question, surely?

For me this man always comes across as part Protestant and his writings reflect that again. So for a reflection of an Orthodox view on anything there are so many other voices I would look to, rather than his.

Yes, I don't find the phenomena of so-called 'gay bashing' as anything else but repellent. However the huge efforts by many elements to convince us that an active homosexual lifestyle is morally equivalent cannot be squared with the long standing teachings of the Church.

As for so-called conservative politicians being taken in by a former KGB/FSB officer who appears not to moved too far on from totalitarian methodologies, perhaps this demonstrates that the so-called Religious Right's values are not in accord with the mind of the Church either. Both the pros and anti factions on this issue appear to have at least one thing in common, a value system distinct from true Christianity.

Thank you for a calming perspective and for providing a voice of reason (reason is NOT a heterodox teaching, btw) .
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »

Another protestant "convert" who couldn't completely leave behind his protestantism.

Self-criticism? Good.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »

Someone send this thread to Frank and see if he can respond.

Lol I remember when Dr Jeannie came on OC.net and was hurt by some of comments of her podcasts on AFR

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 09:58:26 AM »

Lol I remember when Dr Jeannie came on OC.net and was hurt by some of comments of her podcasts on AFR
Wut?  Where is that thread?

LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »

Wut?  Where is that thread?

Here 'tis:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,32962.0.html

Dr Jeannie made her one and only post here on that thread.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »

Franky's anger and crusader spirit is not a Protestant trait. It's a Franky trait.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:21:23 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »

I don't see why folks are upset, since the politics board skews to the right.

Then again, the world is not confined to our politics board. There are plenty of non-conservative Orthodox outside the bubble. Where I come from, most Orthodox are liberal, and so are most non-Orthodox too.

Apparently some folks could use more trips outside their personal bubbles.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »

I can understand why current and former Protestants may be at least curious about his story because of his Dad's fame among some Protestants and Frank's own embrace of Orthodoxy and departure from the Republican right.  Frank saw real problems within the so-called Religious Right of the Republican party and the Protestant Evangelical alliance with this segment of the party, but his subsequent path seems to have been more of an extreme reaction against every principle of the so-called Religious Right than it has been the embrace of an Orthodox worldview that would then inform his politics.  He was received into the Orthodox Church, but the worldview he has since developed is that of the extreme liberal end of the democratic party in all matters, and this worldview is not entirely compatible with the Orthodox worldview.  It seems more recently that he has observed this incompatibility and has chosen the political worldview on the liberal side of the democratic ideology over an Orthodox worldview.     
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:10:37 PM by jah777 » Logged
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »

I don't see why folks are upset, since the politics board skews to the right.

Then again, the world is not confined to our politics board. There are plenty of non-conservative Orthodox outside the bubble. Where I come from, most Orthodox are liberal, and so are most non-Orthodox too.

Apparently some folks could use more trips outside their personal bubbles.

Neither, thankfully, is the world confined to your two-dimensional characterization of it.
Tags: Religious Right Frank Schaeffer 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: