Author Topic: How much could Jesus bench press?  (Read 31994 times)

Offline Father H

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Nea Roma
Re: How much could Jesus bench press?
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »

Sometimes I really worry about the way some of our posters "relate" to Christ.  It's very Protestant-like...all warm and fuzzy...and buddy buddy, and way too chummy.

While Christ was God incarnate, and completely human, it is not for us to relate to Him as if he were our fraternity brother.

After all, we are instructed to stand in awe, and approach in fear...

Let's not lose our respect for our Savior. 

Indeed Liza.  I just gave a sermon on this today, namely the fear of God and how it means having a reverent awe and respect.  "Talking about Jesus lightly " has become a hobby around here.  It is not really Protestant, though, as many protestants would be horrified.  It is more of a "we'll not gossip so lets talk about something stupid and throw the God-man in."  A theological speculation out of filling in boredom.  Instead of enjoying boredom, meditating on the laws of the Lord day and night, we have come to a place where we can play "guess the bench press of the Almighty" supplants it.  Lord have mercy

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »
Well maybe we'll all be as (self)righteous as you some day, eh? Until then please pray for us wicked sinners who just don't understand.
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2013, 07:07:32 PM »
Well maybe we'll all be as (self)righteous as you some day, eh? Until then please pray for us wicked sinners who just don't understand.

You do know you're name-calling to Fr. H, who is a priest, no?  ???
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
I think you owe Fr. H an apology for this show of gratuitous insolence.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »

Sometimes I really worry about the way some of our posters "relate" to Christ.  It's very Protestant-like...all warm and fuzzy...and buddy buddy, and way too chummy.
How else are we to relate to Christ then as a person?

As a Stoic?

Did Christ laugh?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »

You do know you're name-calling to Fr. H, who is a priest, no?  ???

name-calling? Where?

And why doesn't everyone cry when Fr. H. is short, curt, and rude? White knights where are you now?

If I posted something like this:

If the apostles made it one of the criterion by which gentiles had to obey in order to be Christian in the first place Christians should make every effort to avoid it.

::)
And where did the Apostles make it one of the criteria?  You need to read more on what του πνικτου και του αιματος means before you start spouting your opinions.  The practice referred to is to strangle the animal and drain its blood and drink it while doing so, as is clear that we are to abstain from the strangled and the blood of the strangled.   

I would certainly get called out for the unnecessary and pretentious use of the Greek.

And I am sure someone's feelings would be hurt and one of the board's white knights would be right there to tell me how to terrible I am and give me a book they received from Human Resources on how to be more manipulative inter-personally effective.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2013, 08:22:27 PM »

You do know you're name-calling to Fr. H, who is a priest, no?  ???

name-calling? Where?

And why doesn't everyone cry when Fr. H. is short, curt, and rude? White knights where are you now?

Name calling....well, calling a priest, or anyone else, self-righteous, comes across as a bit rude.

Exactly when was Fr. H short, curt or rude?  Is educating and preaching considered rude, because the listener disagrees?

If that is the case, then may more priests be short, curt and rude....and actually "teach" the masses something.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:55:56 PM by LizaSymonenko »
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »

Why are you unwilling to admit you may have been wrong in this case?

How can anyone think it is okay to be so familiar with Christ?

This is GOD you are actually joking about!  God should never be the butt of silliness or joking.....ever.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline katherine 2001

• High Elder
  • Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »

He is doing his job as a priest.  I think this whole thread has been in very bad taste.  If there is nothing wrong with this thread, how many would be willing to have their priest read it and see what he says about it?  I guess Christ was self-righteous as well--after all, he got a whip and drove the money changers out of the temple.    That was the only time I can think of that Christ got angry.  Was He being self-righteous as well?

I also agree with Fr. H that many Protestants would be horrified to read this thread.  Some may treat Him as their buddy but they at least know where the line is that you don't cross.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:30:42 PM by katherine 2001 »

Offline Father H

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Nea Roma
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2013, 09:41:26 PM »

lol.  Truth be told I usually ignore threads like this and don't even look at them.  However, someone PM'd me and asked me to chime in.  And no, the pm was not Liza, but reading down through the thread, I found Liza's post to be well thought out and the perfect opportunity for me to chime in.  Do you really not understand, or are you just being a bit stubborn?

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »

Sometimes I really worry about the way some of our posters "relate" to Christ.  It's very Protestant-like...all warm and fuzzy...and buddy buddy, and way too chummy.

While Christ was God incarnate, and completely human, it is not for us to relate to Him as if he were our fraternity brother.

Indeed Liza.  I just gave a sermon on this today, namely the fear of God and how it means having a reverent awe and respect.  "Talking about Jesus lightly " has become a hobby around here.  It is not really Protestant, though, as many protestants would be horrified.  It is more of a "we'll not gossip so lets talk about something stupid and throw the God-man in."  A theological speculation out of filling in boredom.  Instead of enjoying boredom, meditating on the laws of the Lord day and night, we have come to a place where we can play "guess the bench press of the Almighty" supplants it.  Lord have mercy
++++++++++++++

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2013, 11:23:52 PM »

How else are we to relate to Christ then as a person?
As the human incarnation of the Word of God, maybe.

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2013, 01:21:08 AM »
Was the person who originally posted trying to stir up this trouble? If so then he is happy. I have seen this happen  at another site, but there they have a purpose as atheists to aggravate anyone who is religious.
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: ELCA
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:13 AM »
   Scholastic theology... South Park style.
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."   - Martin Luther

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »
As a Stoic?

Did Christ laugh?

Did Stoics laugh?

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »
Here's another question pertinent to the thread, how hard do you think St. Nicholas could slap? 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline sheenj

• OC.net guru
  • St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Church
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »
Here's another question pertinent to the thread, how hard do you think St. Nicholas could slap? 

Hard enough to make Arius say "CHRIST ALMIGHTY!"

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »

....but, Saint Nicholas is merely a saint...not God.

God is strong enough to create the world, and strong enough to destroy it.

That's pretty much all that anyone needs to know about His "strength".
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2013, 02:16:03 PM »

....but, Saint Nicholas is merely a saint...not God.

That's pretty much all that anyone needs to know about His "strength".

But when someone denies Christ's divinity, treating Him as a creation of the Father's, it tends to make St. Nicholas slap people.  I would be interested to know how hard he slaps.  It might be useful information.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »

Hard enough to get his point across.

However, if you recall, the slap did get him in to some temporary hot water.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #200 on: September 30, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »

Indeed Liza.  I just gave a sermon on this today, namely the fear of God and how it means having a reverent awe and respect.  "Talking about Jesus lightly " has become a hobby around here.  It is not really Protestant, though, as many protestants would be horrified.  It is more of a "we'll not gossip so lets talk about something stupid and throw the God-man in."  A theological speculation out of filling in boredom.  Instead of enjoying boredom, meditating on the laws of the Lord day and night, we have come to a place where we can play "guess the bench press of the Almighty" supplants it.  Lord have mercy

Father Bless!  I think this thread, and this whole website, would benefit greatly if you give us a "more detailed summary" (if that oxymoron makes sense) of your sermon.  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:47:50 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #201 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:26 PM »

Father Bless!  I think this thread, and this whole website, would benefit greatly if you give us a "more detailed summary" (if that oxymoron makes sense) of your sermon.  :)

I second that request.

Please Father!
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »

I do recall that.  I also recall that it was the Theotokos who gave the dissenting opinion.   ;)

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »

Yes, but Christ's Mother bailed St. Nicholas of Myra out of the hot water.

Heaven spoke rather quickly.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:36:10 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2013, 03:36:52 PM »

I second that request.

Please Father!

I'm not sure how much you will get.  Father H seems to have gone to the same sermon school that my Priest went to.  The entire course consists of six words: Stand up.  Speak up.  Shut up.  I think he said more in 8 sentences than we have thus far gotten out of 5 pages.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #205 on: September 30, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »

Sometimes I really worry about the way some of our posters "relate" to Christ.  It's very Protestant-like...all warm and fuzzy...and buddy buddy, and way too chummy.

Indeed Liza.  I just gave a sermon on this today, namely the fear of God and how it means having a reverent awe and respect.  "Talking about Jesus lightly " has become a hobby around here.  It is not really Protestant, though, as many protestants would be horrified.  It is more of a "we'll not gossip so lets talk about something stupid and throw the God-man in."  A theological speculation out of filling in boredom.  Instead of enjoying boredom, meditating on the laws of the Lord day and night, we have come to a place where we can play "guess the bench press of the Almighty" supplants it.  Lord have mercy

Father Bless!  I think this thread, and this whole website, would benefit greatly if you give us a "more detailed summary" (if that oxymoron makes sense) of your sermon.  :)

I second that request.

Please Father!

I'm not sure how much you will get.  Father H seems to have gone to the same sermon school that my Priest went to.  The entire course consists of six words: Stand up.  Speak up.  Shut up.  I think he said more in 8 sentences than we have thus far gotten out of 5 pages.

Let's see. In some classes there are only one or two A+ students with the rest barely making As and A-. I am assuming that the professor gave all his graduate students As just for standing there and delivering their sermons.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:44:22 PM by Maria »

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »

I have heard Fr. H speak in person, and believe me, he could most definitely teach us all a thing or two.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
« Reply #207 on: September 30, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
I think he used to workout with a stack of Bibles. Can I say that without offending someone?

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #208 on: September 30, 2013, 09:19:29 PM »

Hard enough to make Arius say "CHRIST ALMIGHTY!"

;D
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #209 on: September 30, 2013, 09:21:12 PM »
William Lane Craig's next children's book: God is Strong
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2013, 01:09:39 AM »

It is obvious, that being anonymous/behind a screen to protect one from other people perhaps rubs off to make one feel God also cannot get me as I am behind a computer screen ;)
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2013, 01:15:10 AM »
Here's another question. Could Jesus make weight so big He couldn't lift?

The answer is, he would create a weight which is so heavy he cannot lift it, but at the same time, light enough he can lift it.

The same way, he is fully man and fully God. This weight, would be fully unliftable, and fully liftable.

I AM NOW A SCHOLASTIC!

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2013, 01:20:50 AM »
The answer to the OP, is He could bench press an abritrary number, with the strength of his body. But, if he so willed, he could lift any amount as he is the Son of God, or wait, He is God, or ...

my scholasticism is faulting, i need a professional scholastic professor

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Archon
« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2013, 02:08:14 AM »
Here's another question. Could Jesus make weight so big He couldn't lift?

The answer is, he would create a weight which is so heavy he cannot lift it, but at the same time, light enough he can lift it.

The same way, he is fully man and fully God. This weight, would be fully unliftable, and fully liftable.

I AM NOW A SCHOLASTIC!
As i have said before, the weight of something is not the same on a different planet, unless the mass of that planet matches earth. So science generally uses mass as a accurate gauge across the whole universe. It is relevant because we are talking about the God of the universe and he can visit any planet he likes.. And what something weighs is a function of mass, that of the planet creating the gravity , and the mass you are lifting. The weight of the world is irrelevant in the scheme of the universe, in other words he would explain that you cannot follow the simple guide for life found in the Bible. So why are you worried about how much he can lift when the answer would be too heavy for us.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #214 on: October 05, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »
I don't get why people don't like this thread. I'm not trying to treat Jesus like my gym buddy, I'm treating him like my Lord who was fully incarnate and thus am wondering about aspects of His incarnation.
That's good. Most of us here, including myself, treat Christ like an idol.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
I don't get why people don't like this thread. I'm not trying to treat Jesus like my gym buddy, I'm treating him like my Lord who was fully incarnate and thus am wondering about aspects of His incarnation.

If you admire your God for how much he could bench press, chances are you're already worshiping an idol. ;)

You're better off with an Adonis or Hercules.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »

If you admire your God for how much he could bench press, chances are you're already worshiping an idol. ;)

You're better off with an Adonis or Hercules.

Ah, the patron of the Cynics.

Offline Fr. George

• Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
A few pages ago (at least with my view settings) I was asked for my thoughts on this thread.

Speculation on our Lord's physical qualities isn't new - I seem to remember St Athanasios musing in On the Incarnation that if the Lord had not subjected Himself to murder on the Cross that He wouldn't have died (i.e. His life had to be taken, because the forms of death that don't involve direct human action are results of corruption which He was not subject to).  Others among the Fathers and contemporary writers have taken up questions or discussions on some of the Lord's physical characteristics (skin tone, overall health, learning to walk as a child, etc.). 

Engaging in this discussion in a juvenile way isn't new, either.  I feel the same way about this discussion as I do about discussions of Miley Cyrus and Kanye West - our strong reactions to their attention-seeking activities only fuels their fire (and assists them in their "branding" and exposure).  Those of us who feel that this thread is beneath the level of discourse right for an Orthodox Forum are correct, but we're forgetting that sometimes good questions get asked in a bad/awkward way (I've got toddler-aged children, so this is a daily reality).  And those who don't like it when folks call them out for discussing good topics immaturely need to wake up: this forum is for adults, and adults should be perfectly comfortable pointing out when discussions fall beneath our dignity.  At some point those who are more mature need to help those who are less, and need to be patient while they do it; and those who are less mature need to be open to the advice given by the others on the forum.

The OP could have asked simply "Do you think the Lord had average or above-average physical strength?"  Instead, we ended up with the opening and tone that we did, akin to meeting someone and saying "Hey you, yeah you, what's your name," rather than the more polite "Hi.  My name is <Name>; I don't think we've met before.  Pleased to make your acquaintance."  I prefer the latter approach - you can get the same desired result (finding out the other person's name) without being disrespectful (intentionally or unintentionally) to them in the process.
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, & godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope & glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed & purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.  Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. (Titus 2:11-15)

Offline kyril

« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2014, 02:38:13 AM »

He must have had a carpenter's bench at some time ...?
kyril

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2014, 04:22:23 AM »

He must have had a carpenter's bench at some time ...?
You had to reopen this can of worms? ::)

Offline kyril

« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2014, 04:54:22 AM »
sorry.

yes, I know it's Wednesday - well it was when I posted it, therefore a fast day.
as the Latins say "mea culpa"
kyril

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2014, 05:41:33 AM »
sorry.

yes, I know it's Wednesday - well it was when I posted it, therefore a fast day.
You eat worms on a fast day?

Offline kyril

« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2014, 05:45:44 AM »
sorry.

You eat worms on a fast day?
only when things are going 'slow'.... :D
kyril

Offline kyril

« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2014, 05:50:00 AM »
nice and wiggly and RAW!
with just a drop of Worcestershire sauce for that little extra zing ... yum!
kyril

Offline kyril

« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2014, 06:07:54 AM »
 But just to refresh our minds of something Very Important:
"The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us and we beheld His Glory, full of Grace and Truth."
kyril