OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 11:54:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do Americans rarely follow up with friendship?  (Read 1864 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: September 25, 2013, 01:45:32 AM »

I mean Americans are pretty friendly people and polite, but once you get past the small talk it seems as if nobody wants to forge friendships. I am not just talking about me but in general.

In short we really only have maybe 1-3 real friends and the rest are just acquaintances. Is it a inner circle thing where they don't want to bring someone new into the fold?

I just never really understood it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 01:46:31 AM »

I thought that was true in general and everywhere  Huh

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 05:23:39 AM »

Interesting query.  This is not what I've noticed when I look at my parents, brother, and sister's circle of friends.  They have made broad circles of friends, from their schooling, church associations, work, neighbors, and community associations where they are involved.

Perhaps you're encountering people like me. I am happy living alone, rather private and shy away from making new friends, keeping just a couple of small circles of friends and not looking to expand them.  I can't stand having to reply politely to the would be meteorologists I meet in the hallway of my apartment, "It's going to be nice today;"  "Have we met; why are you talking to me?" is how I want to react. I'm just not one for small talk. I have church friends who I like to speak with about areas of common interest, but I'd never do anything more with them than engage in conversations during the Sunday coffee social.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:24:30 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:41:49 AM »

What's wrong with having only a couple of close friends?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:51:23 AM »

Maybe you can clarify what you mean by friends here Achronos. What I took you to mean was "close friends" or "true friends" or whatever. Not someone you talk to once a week, go to a ball game with, send an email to, etc. More like someone that helps you move for 8 hours without expecting some reward/compensation, someone who doesn't particularly like road trips but will drive with you 200 miles just to keep you company, etc. Not that the friendship is built on "what will you do for me," but rather the friendship is such that the two people are naturally willing to go well beyond what they'd do for a casual friend/acquaintance.  Huh
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:51:48 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Byron
Warned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »

I mean Americans are pretty friendly people and polite, but once you get past the small talk it seems as if nobody wants to forge friendships. I am not just talking about me but in general.

In short we really only have maybe 1-3 real friends and the rest are just acquaintances. Is it a inner circle thing where they don't want to bring someone new into the fold?

It's an inner circle thing where most people can't be bothered making new friends and stick with the same old long term school pals etc. otherwise they have huge families, plenty of siblings, cousins, spouses family etc so they don't need to associate with others. I know several such families, when they have get together a there are 30 to 50 of them alone so no need to invite anyone else.

this is always worse in big, impersonal cities. You may have more luck in smaller towns.

Secondly Americans on the whole are shallow, inconsiderate, self centred people. Getting Beyond superficialities is too hard for ,any of them.

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:55:24 AM »

I mean Americans are pretty friendly people and polite, but once you get past the small talk it seems as if nobody wants to forge friendships.

I couldn't locate the thread, but I seem ro recall a thread you started not too long ago where you railed against small talk and other relationship buliders with a fairly nasty vitriole.  I'm just a country boy, but I'd bet the farm your attitude might have something to do with it.

EDIT: I found the thread- Can we kill the small talk?
 In it, you stated that most people think you're rude because you don't like small talk or something along those lines.  I'm not sure, but maybe you just don't bring anything to the table of friendship?  I'm not trying to be harsh or mean...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:01:17 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 08:11:51 AM »

You have 1-3 real friends?

Lucky.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 08:14:06 AM »

Secondly Americans on the whole are shallow, inconsiderate, self centred people. Getting Beyond superficialities is too hard for ,any of them.

How many Americans have you met in real life?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 09:24:19 AM »

Americans vary like everyone else, but I've found not a few warm and friendly in the best possible sense. Following up acquaintanceship with something deeper is a TWO way process.

As I have written before one day walking along Whitehall in Central London I heard my name called in a very loud American accent. Taking no notice, thinking someone was calling out to a friend, I continued on. Again that sequence was repeated once more, then a firm hand descended on my shoulder and a familiar face appeared. A face I had spent many watches with. Needless to say the initial greeting was followed by the biggest hug you may imagine by my US Navy friend. Friendships are two way.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:37:18 AM »

I think there is something to be said about networks of friends.  You have your close friends who are like additional family in many ways.  You also often have their friends as an extended network. In addition, you also have people you like and occasionally enjoy the company of but wouldn't help hide the body if they murdered someone.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »

I mean Americans are pretty friendly people and polite, but once you get past the small talk it seems as if nobody wants to forge friendships.

I couldn't locate the thread, but I seem ro recall a thread you started not too long ago where you railed against small talk and other relationship buliders with a fairly nasty vitriole.  I'm just a country boy, but I'd bet the farm your attitude might have something to do with it.

In it, you stated that most people think you're rude because you don't like small talk or something along those lines.  I'm not sure, but maybe you just don't bring anything to the table of friendship?  I'm not trying to be harsh or mean...
Your reading comprehension needs work.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »

Nothing but just making an observation here.

Besides I'm in a new city and would like to have a few friends.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar's_number

"Dunbar's number is a suggested cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships. These are relationships in which an individual knows who each person is and how each person relates to every other person. This number was first proposed by British anthropologist Robin Dunbar, who found a correlation between primate brain size and average social group size. By using the average human brain size and extrapolating from the results of primates, he proposed that humans can only comfortably maintain 150 stable relationships."
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »

Big cities, at least here in the USA, are really nothing more than a series of interconnected small towns. Look to your neighborhood for starters, a library, the Y, a Starbucks or corner tavern (pub to you Brits)a bodega or corner shop and so on. In college I came to realize that many NYC friends weren't worldly at all, cold, uppity  or "big city", but were really just small town kids whose world was their neighborhood and neighbors. Just sayin...
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »

"Dunbar's number is a suggested cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships. These are relationships in which an individual knows who each person is and how each person relates to every other person. This number was first proposed by British anthropologist Robin Dunbar, who found a correlation between primate brain size and average social group size. By using the average human brain size and extrapolating from the results of primates, he proposed that humans can only comfortably maintain 150 stable relationships."

That's interesting... Quite.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »

Big cities, at least here in the USA, are really nothing more than a series of interconnected small towns. Look to your neighborhood for starters, a library, the Y, a Starbucks or corner tavern (pub to you Brits)a bodega or corner shop and so on. In college I came to realize that many NYC friends weren't worldly at all, cold, uppity  or "big city", but were really just small town kids whose world was their neighborhood and neighbors. Just sayin...

Good advice.

If you're an outgoing person you'll probably find it easier to make friends anywhere.  If, like me, you're not, you probably won't have a lot of friends.  Some folks want a lot, others, like Basil, and others, don't.  If you have 1 or 2 really good friends, you are, like the Tri said, lucky.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »

I was a Brownie Scout for a few months (not much for organized group activities) when I was in elementary school, but I do remember they taught us a saying: "To have a friend, you must be one first." That's about all I remember - except, the good deed thing and how to make turkey out of apples and marshmallows.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »

You have 1-3 real friends?

Lucky.

Indeed. Reminds me of Chris Rock's take on school shootings (warning: language). I don't know if people are thinking that more friends = more happy or what, but the premise of this thread strikes me as odd.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »

That's interesting... Quite.
couple that with this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »

I was a Brownie Scout for a few months (not much for organized group activities) when I was in elementary school, but I do remember they taught us a saying: "To have a friend, you must be one first." That's about all I remember - except, the good deed thing and how to make turkey out of apples and marshmallows.

Is that some kind of beginner's alchemy? Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »

IIRC, I think that they used raisins for the eyes. When I was a kid, I was pretty much impressed by anything.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »

Wait Jeff and Trisagon are you both saying you have no real friends?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 12:13:18 PM »

I can't speak for my real friend, TheTrisagion, but....is that what I'm saying?  I don't recall saying that.  But don't worry, Alex, I do have real friends.  My wife, as a matter of fact, is my very best friend.  And, I assure you, she is quite real. Wink

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »

Once they figured out the Philosopher's Stone wasn't happening, they decided to make turkey out of non-poultry based elements and called it good.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »

It's not that American's don't know how to make friends, it's that apparently we are busier than the rest of the world!  Wink

I have tons of acquaintances, and even more friends....however, my truest friends revolve around family and church.

I don't hang out with work chums, although I would help them move, etc....if they needed it.

The thing is that there are only 24/day....and so much needs to be done.  Friends require not only effort, but, time.

I have home responsibilities that take priority over hanging out with friends, going to the movies, lunch, picnics, whatever.

However, if someone needs my help, I will be there.  I simply cannot hold their hand 24/7, talk on the phone for hours, go shopping for the perfect dress, gossip about celebrities, etc.  There's no time for things like that.  That's what our teenage years were for.  

This Forum serves to fill that void for me!  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »

It depends on what you mean by friends. Apart from my wife, I have probably 2 people that I would trust with my life.  I have perhaps another 6-8 that I would consider confidants, and a bunch of people that are aquaintances that I get along with, but if they disappeared from my life, it would not materially affect it.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »

Non-Americans can't understand the American word friend.

But here is a hint, we are the people who brought you facebook.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »

Well, there's a good way to make friends. Say stuff like this^

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 01:26:19 PM »

Works for me. Most of my friends have had low tolerances for insipitude.

You ain't gotta be friendly to have friends. In fact, it usually a sure sign of someone who has known none.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »

relationship buliders

People who talk like this I also assume don't know what friendship means. Get back to networking.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »

Because it's better to walk in solitude.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »

It's not that American's don't know how to make friends, it's that apparently we are busier than the rest of the world!  Wink

I have tons of acquaintances, and even more friends....however, my truest friends revolve around family and church.

I don't hang out with work chums, although I would help them move, etc....if they needed it.

The thing is that there are only 24/day....and so much needs to be done.  Friends require not only effort, but, time.

I have home responsibilities that take priority over hanging out with friends, going to the movies, lunch, picnics, whatever.

However, if someone needs my help, I will be there.  I simply cannot hold their hand 24/7, talk on the phone for hours, go shopping for the perfect dress, gossip about celebrities, etc.  There's no time for things like that.  That's what our teenage years were for.  

This Forum serves to fill that void for me!  Wink

Also, the nature of American "relationships" plays a role in this.  Magua in Last of the Mohicans sums it up best - "Magua understands that the white man is a dog to his woman." 

New GF...Peace bro.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »

In it, you stated that most people think you're rude because you don't like small talk or something along those lines.  I'm not sure, but maybe you just don't bring anything to the table of friendship?  I'm not trying to be harsh or mean...

You ain't gotta be friendly to have friends. In fact, it usually a sure sign of someone who has known none.
Goodness gracious. I can only imagine what an even out with your friends must be like.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:39:27 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »

How many Americans have you met in real life?

It is a fair judgement regardless of how many he has met. Except the superficialities are their most intimate and storied secrets. Americans love one stands of sex and emotional "bonding" usually not with the same person though.

The morning after in both cases is awful.

Remember, they are the people who brought you reality TV.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »

At least you walk the talk to yourself.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 02:52:01 PM »

Homophobia I suppose

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »

Homophobia I suppose
I literally LOLed. James for the win.... Unless, of course, you are serious.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:59:32 PM by Papist » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »

Homophobia I suppose

WUT??

NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:41 PM »

Too often "following-up" means texting, Facebook messaging, etc. I would much rather have a large circle of people with whom I can talk or meet in person, than an equal number of people defined by Facebook or Verizon as my friends depending on whether we regularly interact through their commercialized means of digital communication.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:54:24 PM by NightOwl » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »

Ionnis could weigh in cause I think he is one of the few people other than myself that has read much in the way of literature about friendship throughout the tradition.

If anyone else had, friend would be a rarely uttered word.

NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »

Ionnis could weigh in cause I think he is one of the few people other than myself that has read much in the way of literature about friendship throughout the tradition.

Why would any amount of literature change the contemporary meaning of the word "friend"?
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »

...if only to avoid the countless hours spent messaging that's now required for friendship.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

Why would any amount of literature change the contemporary meaning of the word "friend"?

Because people would come to understand the history of friendship across the world, specifically that one would make only a handful of friends over his life, that these friendships were valued above almost everything, and that these people in America whom we call "friends" are usually nothing of the sort. As much as orthonorm likes to rag on C.S. Lewis (who is not always my favorite either), he definitely got it right when he observed that friendship was dying in the 20th century Anglosphere. When we use the contemporary sense of the word friend it is hard to imagine, for example, how the philosophers of ancient Greece could have had so many different views on whether polyphilia (having many friends) was an acceptable or desirable practice or how Cicero could have written an entire treatise on friendship. Lamentably, having corrupted the word friend into being nearly synonymous with acquaintance, we no longer have a word in the English language which adequately describes friendship as it was known to the ancients. And now it seems to me that we have not only lost the concept of friendship, but that we have even lost the ability to form friendships, because of our own collective ignorance as to the meaning of the word friend.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:42:29 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »

Because people would come to understand the history of friendship across the world, specifically that one would make only a handful of friends over his life, that these friendships were valued above almost everything, and that these people in America whom we call "friends" are usually nothing of the sort. As much as orthonorm likes to rag on C.S. Lewis (who is not always my favorite either), he definitely got it right when he observed that friendship was dying in the 20th century Anglosphere. When we use the contemporary sense of the word friend it is hard to imagine, for example, how the philosophers of ancient Greece could have had so many different views on whether polyphilia (having many friends) was an acceptable or desirable practice or how Cicero could have written an entire treatise on friendship. Lamentably, having corrupted the word friend into being nearly synonymous with acquaintance, we no longer have a word in the English language which adequately describes friendship as it was known to the ancients. And now it seems to me that we have not only lost the concept of friendship, but that we have even lost the ability to form friendships, because of our own collective ignorance as to the meaning of the word friend.

Sorry but knowledge of history or no, technology (and money) always wins; in this case, Facebook. Especially when it's in the name of a progressive humanitarian goal like the declaration "Internet connectivity is a human right." Anyway we now have the ability to instantly connect with thousands of people, why shouldn't society be shaped by the technology it creates? If the ancients had been given access to computer networks I'd guess their philosophy about social relationships would also have been quite different.

I'm not familiar with C.S. Lewis' argument but probably it was related to the influence of urbanization on society in the 19th/early 20th century, another inevitable historical development affected by the march of technological advance.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:55:54 PM by NightOwl » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »

relationship buliders

People who talk like this I also assume don't know what friendship means. Get back to networking.

Exactly, very true indeed!

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »

I believe that you will find a difference between Americans who live in a big city and those who live in small towns in the countryside.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »

I think once you arrive at a certain age, it's difficult for adults to find really good friends.  I think this is so for several reasons.  The older we get, the busier we tend to be with family obligations.  Also, as an adult you're more cautious with who you let in.  I think also that as adults, we're, I don't know if judgmental is the right word, but sometimes we place a premium on looks or we gage to see if a potential friend is liked by others, etc..  When we were kids it was waay easy to find a friend:  All you had to do was have candy and boom! you've got friends.  Smiley  I guess maybe it's the same if you're a wino and hang out with other wino's.  Tongue  I think that it's a good thing that making friends when we're older is slower and sometimes more challenging because there's a lot at stake when you're older.  Not to mention that if we're sincere about our faith, we'll be cautious and a little judgmental with who we let in.

Anyway, I can empathize with you completely.  We're social creatures and we need to connect with others (even us introverts!).  The only thing I can say is this; ask God to bring people into your life and then be patient.  Also, if you wanna get you need to be prepared to give.  Praying for you!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2013, 06:33:58 PM »

a) most people have to have reasons for maintain the friendship

Just the appeal of a friend is usually not enough to go on - have a conversation starter.

(A good reason to be friends)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »

Sorry for my uninspiring boringness.  We all can't be so special.

You ain't gotta be friendly to have friends.
Well alrighty then.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »

relationship buliders

Well, us insipid types have our own lingo I guess.

Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »

Nothing at all. Perhaps certain social influences have put people under the impression that they're supposed to be brimming with friends.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »

Please tell me this is trolling. Either way, you need something better to do.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »

Orthonorm says that it's a good way to make friends.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 08:27:32 PM »

Even though I'm fairly outgoing, I really am more of an introvert, and I prefer a small group of close friends. Smiley I never really understood all of the shallow party friendships that people develop in college, and even as adults.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »

laugh

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »

Even though I'm fairly outgoing, I really am more of an introvert, and I prefer a small group of close friends. Smiley I never really understood all of the shallow party friendships that people develop in college, and even as adults.

It can be difficult for smart people to understand stupid.

In it, you stated that most people think you're rude because you don't like small talk or something along those lines.  I'm not sure, but maybe you just don't bring anything to the table of friendship?  I'm not trying to be harsh or mean...

He's probably right. It's also a good way to make enemies, but I suppose you can't have friends without enemies.

At least he's made me feel better about frequently being called "cynical," which is not really part of my nature but more like grumpiness resulting from the fact the people my age still think Walt Disney is interesting.

Really, I think that particular corporation is the biggest threat to US security right now. I'm hoping Obama will actually call me this week so I can advise him to shelf Syria and turn his attention towards our more nefarious enemies.

Anyway, back to talking about friends...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:04:17 PM by Rufus » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:54 PM »

It can be difficult for smart people to understand stupid.

He's probably right. It's also a good way to make enemies, but I suppose you can't have friends without enemies.

At least he's made me feel better about frequently being called "cynical," which is not really part of my nature but more like grumpiness resulting from the fact the people my age still think Walt Disney is interesting.

Really, I think that particular corporation is the biggest threat to US security right now. I'm hoping Obama will actually call me this week so I can advise him to shelf Syria and turn his attention towards our more nefarious enemies.

Anyway, back to talking about friends...
Awwww, and I love Disney Land.  Cheesy

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2013, 09:47:42 PM »

You aren't a real misanthrope.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »

Stalking is a great way to meet women.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2013, 11:25:40 PM »

Friends are a liability.  An enemy will never betray you.  His motives are always known. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »

Friends are a liability.  An enemy will never betray you.  His motives are always known. 

Life without liabilities is boring and pointless. Ask Jesus.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2013, 12:01:20 AM »

At least you walk the talk to yourself.

Actually, I take the bus.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:13 AM »

Awesome.

Thanks for the post, "we have lost our ability to form friendships". Agreed.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:13 AM »

But why should we look to the ancients on friendships?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:13 AM »

Hey I'll walk with you.

We can even stop to eat at Papa Johns if you want, give alms back to John

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:13 AM »

relationship buliders

Well, us insipid types have our own lingo I guess
Don't worry. I got reprimanded for saying "resume building"

We don't build skyscrapers anymore, we do resumes now.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »

Hey I'll walk with you.

Well, there goes William's solitude....

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »

Yes.  See how many of his "friends" stuck around when he was crucified.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »

Yes.  See how many of his "friends" stuck around when he was crucified.
Meh, it seems to have turned out ok in the end.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »

Hey I'll walk with you.

No, we'll go to one of those yummy Pitt places. Just score us some Steelers tickets and we can talk.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »

Hey I'll walk with you.

No, we'll go to one of those yummy Pitt places. Just score us some Steelers tickets and we can talk.

Because it's better to walk in solitude er,...to an eatery and then to a Steelers game, talking all the while.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »

Hey I'll walk with you.

DUDE I COULDA GOT TWO TICKETS FOR 160!!!

SMH

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »

But why should we look to the ancients on friendships?

Because they had money and slaves and copious leisure.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »

Awesome.

I would posit that the various forms of social media are greatly hindering our ability to the create meaningful dialogue.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »

Awesome.

I would posit that the various forms of social media are greatly hindering our ability to the create meaningful dialogue.

I really hope you are yanking my chain so to speak.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »

I can't even comprehend this outside of corporatese speak.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »

Hey I'll walk with you.

DUDE I COULDA GOT TWO TICKETS FOR 160!!!

SMH

Just get them again.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2013, 12:52:59 AM »

Friendship is not really about time spent. It's actually more about vulnerability, trust, and unconditional acceptance. And once you've been hurt by someone you trusted as a friend, it makes you much more cautious and reserved about who you open up to. Online, you can honestly share your views and reveal the burdens of your heart without having to reveal your true identity. You can add and delete friends as you see fit. But real life friendships require commitment and great risk. Like most people, I have been hurt deeply in my life by people I trusted. But I can honestly say that the pain and heartbreak has been worth the true and lasting friendships that God has blessed me with in my life. I'd rather have 3 or 4 true friends that I know will always be loyal than 15 or 20 superficial friendships that have no real meaning.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »

Just get them again.
Where do you live? Can you get here or do I need to pick you up?

And the way the Steelers are playing I may get them even cheaper.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2013, 02:53:32 AM »

Friendship is not really about time spent. It's actually more about vulnerability, trust, and unconditional acceptance. And once you've been hurt by someone you trusted as a friend, it makes you much more cautious and reserved about who you open up to. Online, you can honestly share your views and reveal the burdens of your heart without having to reveal your true identity. You can add and delete friends as you see fit. But real life friendships require commitment and great risk. Like most people, I have been hurt deeply in my life by people I trusted. But I can honestly say that the pain and heartbreak has been worth the true and lasting friendships that God has blessed me with in my life. I'd rather have 3 or 4 true friends that I know will always be loyal than 15 or 20 superficial friendships that have no real meaning.

Selam
Nice observations Gebre. What you say here rings true.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »

Awesome.

I really hope you are yanking my chain so to speak.

What is it about my posts in particular that seem to fill you with a need to make these 'drive-by' crypto-insults?  Instead, why not just dive right in and explain what you don't like/understand.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2013, 07:27:45 AM »

Selam

I hope this gem makes it into your next book, brother.  Very thoughtful and true.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »

Selam
+1

(Cue mockery, derision, bad grammar, and cryptic drive-by orthonormic insults  Tongue.)

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2013, 09:17:35 AM »

laugh

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »

Selam
+1

(Cue mockery, derision, bad grammar, and cryptic drive-by orthonormic insults  Tongue.)

If you had any internetz, you would do it for me. Give it a crack.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »

Selam
+1

If you had any internetz, you would do it for me. Give it a crack.

You manage perfectly well, all by yourself.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: