OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:14:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How?  (Read 1111 times) Average Rating: 0
aurelia
High Elder

« on: February 11, 2005, 11:44:37 AM »

How how how can someone do such a thing? I suppose that i should be glad he survived, but the intent to kill was there...such a beautiful child, i just dont understand. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6952633/

and how can i pray for someone on something like this?  This is where i get stuck the most.  things like this, and the stepfather who was abusing one of my duaughters friends for years and we never knew, and on and on...
Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 04:19:19 PM »

I don't know how to answer your question.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »

Aurelia,

The story changed, I think. The woman claiming to have seen the baby tossed from the car was in fact the mother of the baby, and she was looking to leave her baby because she "feared she would hurt him." It sounds like she's not mentally competant and her other child is being removed from the home.

Qui cantat, bis orat
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 07:32:51 PM »

There have been a lot of new studies on why some mothers feel the desire to commit infanticide. 

I hate to be too scientific and not just stick to "evil in the world," of which there is a lot to go around, but there are some chemical "switches" that some researches claim are flipped by altered thyroid activities in mothers.  Read the new news story about mothers' breast milk carefully.  You'll see the role of iodine, etc. 

http://www.newenglandpsychologist.com/leading/0109_coverpostpartum.html
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3408.htm

It's horrible, but when we ask "why" I think we shouldn't rule out the possibility that the lady is sick, i.e. she's nuts.  Well, at least then.  Fortunately doctors have been working on treatments, dietary as well as drug, and we don't now how many of these situations have been avoided because of our current knowledge of postpartum depression.

Now I stand back to be assaulted for stating my belief that mental illness is an actual illness that we should treat. 

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 08:59:57 PM »

This lady, so it seems, was not trying to kill her baby, but to leave it at a firestation, where you are allowed to leave newborns with no repercussions because that is vastly preferable to infanticide.  The baby was never thrown out of any car. She made that up.

Qui cantat, bis orat
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 08:17:19 AM »

Havent seen the news in a while so I didnt know the updates!  Yeah we have the law here in my state where you can take a baby to the hospital, etc, no questions asked..too bad more folks dont take them up on that.

and yes mental illness is an illness to be treated. PPD sucks, been there done that. Being in that dark pit is a very strange and lonely place, things make sense that normally wouldn't.

*says the crazy lady taking antidepressants... Wink*
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: