OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 12:39:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: How would you help the poor if you have $10,000 to do so?
Give lump sum to charity - 2 (9.5%)
Give small contributions to a number of charities - 7 (33.3%)
Give lump sum to a poor family - 2 (9.5%)
Give small amounts to a number of families - 3 (14.3%)
Adopt an orphan - 1 (4.8%)
Start a (small) charity - 0 (0%)
Feed hungry people - 2 (9.5%)
Other - 4 (19%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: How would you help the poor with $10k?  (Read 834 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2013, 01:48:10 AM »

I'd just get it all in $10s and $20s and give a few to every homeless person I see out on the street until I ran out.

Two days later the local drug dealer will be rich.
Not his fault there has to be such a thing as drug dealers to begin with.

This Christian coutry kinda allows it to happen and is contributing to it anyway.

Plus since when is being charitable to the homeless mean you need to make assumptions prior?

Christ commanded to give with no judgment.
Where in the Gospel is He recorded as ever having said this? And don't jump on me for being ignorant about something you find painfully obvious.

In fact Christ says a lot of stuff about the poor that too many people gloss over because they don't want to do it.
Such as...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2013, 01:49:10 AM »

So if you were bestowed with $10,000, what would you do with it to make the world a better place? Obviously, it isn't a ton of money, so it isn't like you are going to solve world hunger, but it is enough to make a different in you community or in the life of someone who is in need.

I myself kind of struggle with the concept of whether it is better to be super involved in one person's life who really needs it, or to help a multitude of others, but only in a less meaningful way.

Thoughts?
I would follow Christ's commandment to not let my left hand know what my right hand is doing.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2013, 02:39:53 AM »

Church, food bank and hospice get equal shares. If at all possible, those who get help shouldn't even know who gave the money.

Same. I would want the money should to go to essential services that serve the poor (food banks, shelters, churches, hospices, clinics).

Alternative cheater answer: invest, grow the amount exponentially, and then solve world hunger with that. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:40:01 AM by lovesupreme » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2013, 08:08:49 AM »

Church, food bank and hospice get equal shares. If at all possible, those who get help shouldn't even know who gave the money.

Same. I would want the money should to go to essential services that serve the poor (food banks, shelters, churches, hospices, clinics).

Alternative cheater answer: invest, grow the amount exponentially, and then solve world hunger with that. Cheesy
If you can invest 10k and come up with enough money to solve world hunger, you must be the next Warren Buffett.  laugh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2013, 09:59:49 AM »

Imagine, how much good we really could do with that money!
You mean all the Christians that could pool all their money together would change the world pretty quick.

ONLY if they could agree on how to do it  Grin.  And...good luck with that.
You wouldn't have to if they are truly Christians and follow His commandments.

Truth is nobody is really a Christian.

No, the truth is that those who call themselves "Christian" are broken and fallible and fallen and struggling human beings for the greatest part failing to reach the same perfection of Christ and the saints.  Truth is, nobody is a perfect Christian. 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: