OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 08:42:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arch/Bishop of Novgorod, western mitre?  (Read 2934 times) Average Rating: 0
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »

Western Mitre? A koukoulion is more likely.

A koukoulion cannot be "two horned". Or can it?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:46:37 PM by Romaios » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »

And then came Russians and broke everything.
They were Russians, remember?

Reminds me of a joke:

- Who was the first invader that crossed the Soviet Union boarders?
- Alexander the Great!

Same mentality.

Russia as understood now with it's culture, mentality, even race is a result of mixing Eeastern Slavic and Mongol cultures. If the history had taken other course and Novgorod took control over Eastern Slavs instead of Moscow, we would live in totally different and probably better world.
Imaginary worlds are always better.

Btw, Novgorod chose Grand Prince St. Vladimir.

Mongol culture? A proper response might land into politics.

But not Ivan III or IV.
And?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Not until 1478. And until 1570 it was still fairly autonomous from Russia. Check your history, dude.

Novgorod "the Great" was a very famous city state.

Novgorod was riddled with Latin missionaries. Dominicans IIRC. Sundry Latinizations did occur, including in iconography.

Thank God Ivan the Awesome ended all that.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2013, 08:10:01 PM »

Actually, some years ago, our family and some friends were in Northern Italy and we got some really nice pizzas.

The best (and biggest) pizza I have ever tasted, came from a small restaurant in Stavanger.

Silly Dane. You obviously haven't fathomed the glory of American pizza.

Who else is hoping for a Scandinavian Death Match? Anyone?

(Though I've heard Finland isn't part of Scandinavia...)

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »

Reminds me of a joke:

- Alexander the Great!

Same mentality.

Russia as understood now with it's culture, mentality, even race is a result of mixing Eeastern Slavic and Mongol cultures. If the history had taken other course and Novgorod took control over Eastern Slavs instead of Moscow, we would live in totally different and probably better world.

But not Ivan III or IV.

But they were/are still Russians. Russkii, though at times not Rossisskii, so to speak.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2013, 05:00:16 AM »

By slaying 60 k of citizens in 5 weeks.

But they were/are still Russians. Russkii, though at times not Rossisskii, so to speak.

Could you define both terms? And how is the latter translated into English?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »

Yes, Ivan "Grozny" is probably more accurately  "Ivan the Awesome" rather than "Terrible."
" The epithet "Grozny" is associated with might, power and strictness, rather than poor performance, horror or cruelty. Some authors more accurately translate it into modern English as Ivan the Awesome." http://orthodoxwiki.org/Ivan_IV_of_Russia

But not in the much overused modern colloquial understanding of the word, but rather in terms of its traditional meaning of might, power and strictness. In other words, synonymous with the use of "terrible" as in The Battle Hymn of the Republic's use here: "He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:  His truth is marching on."

Just to be clear...
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2013, 12:09:18 AM »

By slaying 60 k of citizens in 5 weeks.

Could you define both terms? And how is the latter translated into English?

Russkii is cultural/ethnic/linguistic. Rossisskii is in reference to the state of Russia, the Russian Federation, coming from Rossiia. In English, they're both just Russian, which makes it confusing. So, there are Russians who have nothing to do with the country of Russia except maybe as their or their ancestors' place of origin, but they are Russian culturally. I could go on, but I don't want to be pedantic.

Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2013, 04:17:02 AM »

- yawn - When I get the fluxcapcitor back from the shop, Doc promised the DeLorean will be as good as new. You can check it out yourselves.

Dress, garb, etc.. weren't delivered from the heavens intact by UPS. If they were once a bit different, so what?

I know!!! We should get rid of all traditional clothes entierly!!!

Anyway, I made this thread because I found it very interesting, and wondered the history behind it. Perhaps the latins got to them first? who knows!!! That is why I ask Smiley

Maybe someone knows a good deal about the history of Novogorod and how christianity got to it.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2013, 04:24:55 AM »

Western Mitre? A koukoulion is more likely. Old metropolitans of Moscow, and old-rite monks would frequently wear the koukoulion instead of the klobuk, and since the koukoulion converges to a point on the head, it could have been mistaken for a western mitre.

I disagree, since he specifically says "two horns". And the fact one would wear a white pallium, while all the other bishops wear black, it makes this bishopric seem pretty unique. And to say "after our fashion". I don't think he was stupid, to not count 1, or 2

Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2013, 04:26:44 AM »

Western Mitre? A koukoulion is more likely.

A koukoulion cannot be "two horned". Or can it?

LOL

Don't get russians started on vikings in russia, they don't like to talk about it  Grin

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2013, 08:17:39 AM »

- yawn - When I get the fluxcapcitor back from the shop, Doc promised the DeLorean will be as good as new. You can check it out yourselves.

Dress, garb, etc.. weren't delivered from the heavens intact by UPS. If they were once a bit different, so what?

Anyway, I made this thread because I found it very interesting, and wondered the history behind it. Perhaps the latins got to them first? who knows!!! That is why I ask Smiley

Maybe someone knows a good deal about the history of Novogorod and how christianity got to it.

Sorry, I neglected to grab the quote which I was actually referencing. The original question was interesting, the Slavic infighting (which, I confess to often participating in when  I have a horse in the race) was starting. Your OP was interesting and points to the development of things we take for granted today while forgetting that in the course of history they weren't always as we see them today. Understanding the past helps us understand the present. Point taken. Thanks.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »

I don't know about a good deal, but Christianity got to Novgorod from Constantinople.  It's Cathedral, true to form, was St. Sophia.  It also had contact with the mission of St. Methodius in Moravia-it has graffitti in Glagolitic, and it served as a center to transcribe Glagolitic into Cyrillic.

It served as the Rus' original capital, and retained its importance-and relative independence.  St. Vladimir had been sent there to rule as heir of the Grand Prince, he sent his heir there, and it remained one of the chief centers.  Its bishop, later archbishop, retained a relative independence of the Metropolitan of Kiev and Alll Rus'.  Several times it threatened to go over to Poland and its Latins, in order to avoid centralization to some other Rus' center south, and it became a member of the German Hanse League.  Given that, foreign influences can be easily found-and exploited, such as the legend of Novgorod's white mitre, as a symbol of Novgorod's independence lost to Moscow
http://books.google.com/books?id=bWEjAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA203&dq=%22A+legend,+similarly+crude+in+content&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4oVFUri5KYaLqQHTpIHoBQ&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22A%20legend%2C%20similarly%20crude%20in%20content&f=false

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2014, 08:33:51 AM »

I just found something about this! Behold!

The Legend of the White Cowl...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_White_Cowl

It claims a great relic-cowl was once in Rome, and was sent to Constantinople, and then, when the Turks were nearing, it was then sent to the Archbishop of Novgorod. This would explain (even if this legend is false) why the mitre might have looked like the western type of mitre, in order to re-enforce the legend of it coming from Rome originally. It also fits with the white pallium, which all Catholic bishops were to receive from the Pope.

Mystery solved??

Grin

Now, wonder when it first stopped being used... hmmm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 08:34:15 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »

It claims a great relic-cowl was once in Rome, and was sent to Constantinople, and then, when the Turks were nearing, it was then sent to the Archbishop of Novgorod. This would explain (even if this legend is false) why the mitre might have looked like the western type of mitre, in order to re-enforce the legend of it coming from Rome originally. It also fits with the white pallium, which all Catholic bishops were to receive from the Pope.

Mystery solved??

Grin

No, the white cowl refers to a white koukoulion, such as the Patriarch of Moscow wears. This legend is the basis of the Third Rome theory. Interestingly, since it assumes the Donation of Constantine, anyone who subscribes to Third Rome must also accept the Donation of Constantine.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »

Mystery solved??

Grin

No, the white cowl refers to a white koukoulion, such as the Patriarch of Moscow wears. This legend is the basis of the Third Rome theory. Interestingly, since it assumes the Donation of Constantine, anyone who subscribes to Third Rome must also accept the Donation of Constantine.

Yes, one could say it refers to the koukoulion, but based on the account of this witness the koukoulion was not being worn by the Archbishop of Novgorod at the time of the visit. The Archbishop of Novgorod:

"but the bishop of Novogorod alone wears a white two-horned mitre after our fashion" (this is written from the prospective of a Catholic)

"The bishop of Novgorod wears a white pallium"

It is not the koukoulion, at least not at the time of the visit by Baron Siegmund in the early 16th century. The writer clearly describes the other bishops wearing a round black mitre, which agrees with the historical development so he does know what he is talking about.

So, the thread here is looking for evidence as to why the Archbishop of Novgorod would wear such vestments. Based on this legend it gives a reason why the Archbishop of Novgorod had a white two horned mitre which is mimicking the western mitre, and further the pallium to reinforce the legend further. It does not matter if the legend is true or not. The legend simply gives the justification for the Archbishop to wear such vestments, even for a simple reason such as an attempt to increase the prestige of his office even if the legend is false.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2014, 08:05:56 AM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Not until 1478. And until 1570 it was still fairly autonomous from Russia. Check your history, dude.

Novgorod "the Great" was a very famous city state.

Novgorod was riddled with Latin missionaries. Dominicans IIRC. Sundry Latinizations did occur, including in iconography.

Yes, St. Joseph Volotsky was a fan of the Inquisition and invited the Dominicans to Novgorod, IIRC.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »

Reminds me of a joke:

- Alexander the Great!

Same mentality.

But not Ivan III or IV.
And?
Novgorod was not the most natural center for all of Russia- it was on the sea and focused on Baltic commerce to the west. Moscow was a more natural center, between Siberia, Ukraine, and Novgorod on all sides. Moscow is more Asian than Novgorod is, and Moscow rose to prominence in centralizing rule in order to defeat the Mongols. Moscow learned some things from their Mongol rulers in order to defeat them.

Sure, Novogord might be preferable to Moscow culturally, but Moscow was the more natural choice as the center for an empire that was not particularly focused on sea commerce so much as land- and one that was also a bridge between Europe and Asia.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2014, 08:23:04 AM »

The Finnish bishop is portrayed as having a western mitre:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_%28bishop_of_Finland%29
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2014, 09:45:15 AM »

The Finnish bishop is portrayed as having a western mitre:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_%28bishop_of_Finland%29

Finnish Catholic.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »

Bishop Nikita of Novgorod (early 12th century) looks interesting:

He is clean shaven like some in the West, and his head covering is rounded, perhaps like some in the West might wear. But it is not a high, pointed, Western mitre either.

http://drevo-info.ru/articles/5793.html
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »

More like this:

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »

More like this:

Yes, the rounded, fur-trimmed mitre was standard for Russian bishops prior to the Nikonian reforms.

Minnesotan
High Elder

Faith: Raised evangelical, inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Not sure where I'll end up yet

From the Land of 10,000 Lakes

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »

More like this:

Yes, the rounded, fur-trimmed mitre was standard for Russian bishops prior to the Nikonian reforms.

Does that mean the Old Believers still use them?
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: Priestless Old Belief
Jurisdiction: Betwixt Antioch and familiarity

"The Emperor Alexander died at Taganrog."

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »

More like this:

I believe the image above is, in fact, of present-day Old Believers. The bishop appears to be the late Metropolian Andrian (Chetvergov) of Moscow, head of the Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:52:18 PM by Hawkeye » Logged

Quote from: Leo Tolstoy to Grand Duke Nikolai Mikhailovich
[W]hatever was hidden behind the name of the hermit Feodor . . . let historical evidence fail to connect Alexander with Kuzmich, the Legend lives in all its beauty and sincerity.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2014, 07:39:32 AM »

More like this:

I've seen a mitred protopriest of ROCOR wear one.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2014, 02:18:49 PM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Novgorod was Russian before 1478. Novgorod, Kiev, Chernigov, Polotsk, Smolensk and later Muscovy were all Russian.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Novgorod was Russian before 1478. Novgorod, Kiev, Chernigov, Polotsk, Smolensk and later Muscovy were all Russian.

You're using "Russian" as synonymous with "Rus'" but it is often meant to be synonymous with Muscovy.

Orest
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »

Bishop Nikita of Novgorod (early 12th century) looks interesting:

He is clean shaven like some in the West, and his head covering is rounded, perhaps like some in the West might wear. But it is not a high, pointed, Western mitre either.

http://drevo-info.ru/articles/5793.html

"The saint was dressed in a dark crimson velvet cloak on top of which lay a large omofor forged gold brocade. ...His beard is almost invisible, only visible sparse growth on the chin..."

Quote from the above web site written in 1942.  Thus, he had a beard.  The icon is recent & cannot be used to proove that it portrays the common headgear in use on the 11th century.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what is the point of speculating about vestments and mitres etc.. from centuries ago?  Some contemporaneous  iconography of a particular point in time may give a general sense of such, but unless one builds a time machine that's the best one is going to have as a guide, along with written descriptions (which are subjective and unidentifiable in many cases) in the pre-photography era. Whatever a 13th century Metropolitan may or may not have worn hardly determines the poor fellows Orthodoxy.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »

I agree.Vestment styles might just have been different back then. Old Believer Cossacks have buttons on the chest as Western Cossacks do, but it does not mean that they are the same by any means.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: