OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:00:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arch/Bishop of Novgorod, western mitre?  (Read 2933 times) Average Rating: 0
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« on: September 24, 2013, 03:22:29 AM »

I read, that the Arch/Bishop of Novgorod traditionally had a western styled mitre (such as, I mean, the one with the triangle shape)

Is this true?

I will show the source in a day or two or week where I read this

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 03:44:11 AM »

found it!

And, this author of this book actually went to Novgorod!

"    The metropolitan, the bishops, and archbishops, constantly abstain from all kinds of meat; but when they invite laymen or priests at seasons when meat is eaten, they have the prerogative of being permitted to place meat before them at their entertainment; but this is prohibited to abbots and priors.
     The archbishops, bishops, and abbots, wear round black mitres; but the bishop of Novogorod alone wears a white two-horned mitre after our fashion. The daily garments of the bishops are like those of other monks, except sometimes they have them of silk, especially the black pallium, which has three white strips waving, like the flowing of a river, from the breast in every direction, to signify that from their mouth and heart flows streams of the doctrine of faith and good works. They carry a staff in the form of a cross, on which they lean, which in the common language is called Possoch. The bishop of Novgorod wears a white pallium. The bishops confine their attention entirely to matters of divinity and to the pious promotion of religion itself, and intrust the management of both private and public affairs to their officials."

http://international.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=mtfxtx&fileName=txg/g340002190a//mtfxtxg340002190a.db&recNum=231&itemLink=r?intldl/mtfront:%40field%28NUMBER%2B%40od1%28mtfxtx%2Bg340002190a%29%29&linkText=0

early 16th century

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:45:10 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »

And then came Russians and broke everything.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »

The archbishops, bishops, and abbots, wear round black mitres; but the bishop of Novogorod alone wears a white two-horned mitre after our fashion.

The "two-horned" reference throws me for a loop, but the description of "archbishops, bishops, and abbots" wearing "round black mitres" makes me think that this isn't discussing liturgical garments, but "street dress", while using familiar Western terms that are not necessarily equivalent.  Is the "bishop of Novgorod" a Metropolitan?  Does the white klobuk go that far back in time? 

Interesting all the same. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:53:40 AM »

Novgorod was Russian.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 08:04:46 AM »

The archbishops, bishops, and abbots, wear round black mitres; but the bishop of Novogorod alone wears a white two-horned mitre after our fashion.

The "two-horned" reference throws me for a loop, but the description of "archbishops, bishops, and abbots" wearing "round black mitres" makes me think that this isn't discussing liturgical garments, but "street dress", while using familiar Western terms that are not necessarily equivalent.  Is the "bishop of Novgorod" a Metropolitan?  Does the white klobuk go that far back in time? 

"Round black mitres" could well refer to the klobuk worn by Russian monastic clergy to this day, but, at least for the past few centuries, the white metropolitan's klobuk is the same shape as the black one. No points anywhere.

FWIW, Novgorod became an archbishop's seat in the 1160s, and a metropolitanate in the very late 1500s.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:45:58 AM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Not until 1478. And until 1570 it was still fairly autonomous from Russia. Check your history, dude.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:49:09 AM »

"Round black mitres" could well refer to the klobuk worn by Russian monastic clergy to this day, but, at least for the past few centuries, the white metropolitan's klobuk is the same shape as the black one. No points anywhere.

FWIW, Novgorod became an archbishop's seat in the 1160s, and a metropolitanate in the very late 1500s.

At that time I believe a Rus' bishop's "street" headgear looked like a round, furry, comfy hat.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:51:17 AM »

At that time I believe a Rus' bishop's "street" headgear looked like a round, furry, comfy hat.

... which would look nothing like a western mitre ....

The mystery deepens ...
Orest
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 09:06:13 AM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Not until 1478. And until 1570 it was still fairly autonomous from Russia. Check your history, dude.

Novgorod "the Great" was a very famous city state.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 10:28:20 AM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Why the quotation marks?
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Muscovy and Russia aren't always synonymous.The Grand Duchy of Muscovy wasn't the only Russian state.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:11:34 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:36:45 AM »

- yawn - When I get the fluxcapcitor back from the shop, Doc promised the DeLorean will be as good as new. You can check it out yourselves.

Dress, garb, etc.. weren't delivered from the heavens intact by UPS. If they were once a bit different, so what?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »

Dress, garb, etc.. weren't delivered from the heavens intact by UPS. If they were once a bit different, so what?

Well since the Armenian heretical hats caused the Chalcedonian Schism maybe we should excommunicate Holy Russia just to be sure. We should not flirt with heresy.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »

Well since the Armenian heretical hats caused the Chalcedonian Schism maybe we should excommunicate Holy Russia just to be sure. We should not flirt with heresy.

"If wearing you is wrong, I don't wanna be right..."

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Muscovy and Russia aren't always synonymous.The Grand Dutchy of Muscovy wasn't the only Russian state.

Define "Russian".
Orest
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Why the quotation marks?
I put in the quotation marks to signify that it was a title. A title like Canada, "Land of the Maple Leaf".
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »

Someone in the Finnish church calling the Russians heretics. Now I've read it all...How's that Paschal calendar working out, BTW?
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 12:58:52 PM »

Someone in the Finnish church calling the Russians heretics. Now I've read it all...How's that Paschal calendar working out, BTW?

Are you missing my bad joke or am I missing your bad  joke?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »

The former. Americans do not get irony. It's like manual gearbox for them.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 01:56:36 PM »

If that's true that explains most of the American politics.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »

Uh, I think he was making a joke. And the comments about irony and politics are, unfortunately, spot on.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:07:22 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »

And Eastern Europeans desperately aping American culture is awkward and bizarre. Uncomfortable rap-metal bands a decade plus after the fact, disgusting pizza, etc.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:13:31 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »

And Eastern Europeans desperately aping American culture is awkward and bizarre.

+100

I'm afraid it's not just Eastern Europeans who are being Americanized at an alarming rate, though.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Novgorod was riddled with Latin missionaries. Dominicans IIRC. Sundry Latinizations did occur, including in iconography. They even translated some of the Scriptures from Latin.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Novgorod was riddled with Latin missionaries. Dominicans IIRC. Sundry Latinizations did occur, including in iconography. They even translated some of the Scriptures from Latin.

Did the Dominicans come along with the Vikings or did they arrive separately?
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »

Did the Dominicans come along with the Vikings or did they arrive separately?

This was the late 15th century, so I guess they didn't come with the Vikings.

There was one Dominican friar named Benjamin from Croatia whose name was preserved. He was part of a team of scholars commissioned by Archbishop Gennadiy of Novgorod to compile the first complete Salvonic Bible.

Because of Moscow's governmental policy of expropriating church property as punishment for Novgorod's separatist tendencies, Gennadius was forced to resign in 1504 and was imprisoned on suspicion of treason.

http://universalium.academic.ru/269050/Gennadius_Of_Novgorod
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:22:54 PM by Romaios » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »

They were Russians, remember?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 12:30:37 PM »

Novgorod was Russian.

Check yours.  Moscovite =/= Russian

Define "Russian".
I think Russians have to define Russian.  They have to deal with some they include (Ukrainians, Ruthenians, etc.) don't take to the definition. That's not an issue in the case of Novgorod, as I've never heard of them defining themselves out of Russia. The Prince of Novgorod at its height, St. Alexander Nevsky, hailed deep in the cradle of Russia in Suzdal-Vladimir.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:44:24 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »

And Eastern Europeans desperately aping American culture is awkward and bizarre. Uncomfortable rap-metal bands a decade plus after the fact, disgusting pizza, etc.

When my mom and her siblings went on pilgrimage to Rome in 2000, they were eager to go to a "real Italian pizzeria" and eat "real Italian pizza", having only had pizza in its New York and specifically Bronx incarnations.  When they were seated, they ordered a couple of pizzas, and when they began to eat, they were shocked and revolted with the product they were eating (they couldn't bring themselves to call it pizza).  Most of them were OK with just paying the cheque and leaving, but my oldest uncle was not going to let it go that easily.  He started giving the waiter a good dose of hell over the pizza and demanded to see the manager.  The owner came out and asked what the problem was, and my uncle let him have it too.  

The owner started to laugh.  As it turned out, he was Italian-American and from the Bronx (where he owned a pizzeria), and completely agreed with my uncle about the horrible pizza in Italy, but said that what he sold was what people wanted to buy, so he was forced to go along with it.  He asked my family to sit, had some wine brought out to the table, and went into the kitchen and started making Bronx style pizzas himself from scratch.  My family loved them so much that they invited him to sit down with them and they caught him up on life in New York and his favourite neighbourhoods.  

I've never been to Europe, so I don't know if the pizza is really that bad, but you are not the first to bring this up.  Tongue      

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »

When my mom and her siblings went on pilgrimage to Rome in 2000, they were eager to go to a "real Italian pizzeria" and eat "real Italian pizza", having only had pizza in its New York and specifically Bronx incarnations.  When they were seated, they ordered a couple of pizzas, and when they began to eat, they were shocked and revolted with the product they were eating (they couldn't bring themselves to call it pizza).  Most of them were OK with just paying the cheque and leaving, but my oldest uncle was not going to let it go that easily.  He started giving the waiter a good dose of hell over the pizza and demanded to see the manager.  The owner came out and asked what the problem was, and my uncle let him have it too.  

The owner started to laugh.  As it turned out, he was Italian-American and from the Bronx (where he owned a pizzeria), and completely agreed with my uncle about the horrible pizza in Italy, but said that what he sold was what people wanted to buy, so he was forced to go along with it.  He asked my family to sit, had some wine brought out to the table, and went into the kitchen and started making Bronx style pizzas himself from scratch.  My family loved them so much that they invited him to sit down with them and they caught him up on life in New York and his favourite neighbourhoods.  

I've never been to Europe, so I don't know if the pizza is really that bad, but you are not the first to bring this up.  Tongue      
Yes, it's bad. I've not made it yet to Italy's pizza capital, Napoli, but the rest of the country is terrible.

Your family is completely Americanized I see, traveling thousands of miles to complain that it isn't like home. Tongue

Btw, the capital of pizza is Chicago.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »

Yes, it's bad. I've not made it yet to Italy's pizza capital, Napoli, but the rest of the country is terrible.

I have, and it's not great. The best Italian food I've had has always been outside of Italy.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »

Your family is completely Americanized I see, traveling thousands of miles to complain that it isn't like home. Tongue

That they are.  They have their ethnic quirks, but they've lived in America longer than in India: they don't really fit in anywhere! 

What do you recommend?  Because I've visited Chicago numerous times since 2006, and any pizza the natives took me out for wasn't anything to write home about.  I'm a moderate fatty, so I like the concept of deep-dish pizza, but I think I still prefer New York pizza: I don't think I'm supposed to prefer Uno's (that I can get in NY) to Giordano's, Gino's, or Lou Malnati's (absolutely the worst, IMO).

I enjoyed the hot dogs in Chicago much more than the pizza.   

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »

I think this is an universal phenomenon. My flatmate went to Estonia with his mother and sister. The first thing that his mother did when she came back here was making some coffee. She said Tallinn was nice and all but during their stay she couldn't get proper coffee.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »

Actually, some years ago, our family and some friends were in Northern Italy and we got some really nice pizzas.

The best (and biggest) pizza I have ever tasted, came from a small restaurant in Stavanger.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »

Actually, some years ago, our family and some friends were in Northern Italy and we got some really nice pizzas.

The best (and biggest) pizza I have ever tasted, came from a small restaurant in Stavanger.

Silly Dane. You obviously haven't fathomed the glory of American pizza.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »

Reminds me of a joke:

- Who was the first invader that crossed the Soviet Union boarders?
- Alexander the Great!

Same mentality.

Russia as understood now with it's culture, mentality, even race is a result of mixing Eeastern Slavic and Mongol cultures. If the history had taken other course and Novgorod took control over Eastern Slavs instead of Moscow, we would live in totally different and probably better world.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »

I have, and it's not great. The best Italian food I've had has always been outside of Italy.

The spaghetti I ate in Italy was pretty good, actually. Never tasted more delicious spaghetti than what in Rome.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 01:32:50 PM »

Was it Peppes Pizza? If so, I agree! I think they have branches in Denmark too now. It was founded by a New Yorker though, so it's the real thing not an European imitation, but still much better than anything I've tried in New York.

(P.S. Airport Peppes restaurants don't count).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:40:56 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »

That they are.  They have their ethnic quirks, but they've lived in America longer than in India: they don't really fit in anywhere! 

What do you recommend?  Because I've visited Chicago numerous times since 2006, and any pizza the natives took me out for wasn't anything to write home about.  I'm a moderate fatty, so I like the concept of deep-dish pizza, but I think I still prefer New York pizza: I don't think I'm supposed to prefer Uno's (that I can get in NY) to Giordano's, Gino's, or Lou Malnati's (absolutely the worst, IMO).

I enjoyed the hot dogs in Chicago much more than the pizza.   
I'm partial to Edwardo's from my U of C days, which holds he record, as my Arabic prof pointed out, the record for the longest string of non-conecting letters
اد واردور

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »

And there is nothing in the world to compare with eating Chicago deep dish pizza, Buffalo chicken wings, Philly cheese steak, Memphis barbecue and N'awlins style etoufee together with pirohi/pierogies,bagels and lox in say Oxnard,California or Sheboygan, Wisconsin......  Smiley
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2013, 01:37:35 PM »

Reminds me of a joke:

- Alexander the Great!

Same mentality.

Russia as understood now with it's culture, mentality, even race is a result of mixing Eeastern Slavic and Mongol cultures. If the history had taken other course and Novgorod took control over Eastern Slavs instead of Moscow, we would live in totally different and probably better world.
Imaginary worlds are always better.

Btw, Novgorod chose Grand Prince St. Vladimir.

Mongol culture? A proper response might land into politics.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »

I'm partial to Edwardo's from my U of C days, which holds he record, as my Arabic prof pointed out, the record for the longest string of non-conecting letters
اد واردور

Edwardo's...never heard of it!  I'll have to visit Chicago again and try it...just got an invitation from some friends there yesterday, so maybe sooner than later.    

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »

Reminds me of a joke:

- Alexander the Great!

Same mentality.

Imaginary worlds are always better.

Btw, Novgorod chose Grand Prince St. Vladimir.

Mongol culture? A proper response might land into politics.

But not Ivan III or IV.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »

Western Mitre? A koukoulion is more likely. Old metropolitans of Moscow, and old-rite monks would frequently wear the koukoulion instead of the klobuk, and since the koukoulion converges to a point on the head, it could have been mistaken for a western mitre.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: