OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:26:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1) Trash a house. 2) Show pics on social media. 3) Sue the owner.  (Read 1559 times) Average Rating: 0
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2013, 06:11:54 PM »

Does it really matter? Those professional athletes make more money in a year than all of the parents' of those students combined make in their entire lifetimes. What's $20,000 worth of damage? He can probably afford ten more mansions and yet he's worried about $20,000 worth of damage to one? Sounds like a jerk for someone rolling in money.

Do you ever hear yourself? It's irrelevant how much money he has, he has a reasonable right to his property not being destroyed, and these teenagers don't have the right to vandalize his house and get away with it because he's rich. You know what? Never mind. I want to roll my eyes right now, but the doctor says that if I keep doing it, my ocular muscles might spasm and eject my eyeballs.

The rich steal property from the poor every time they spend more on themselves then they need to according to St. John Chrysostom and no one cares about that. I can't really blame a few kids for getting back at the real criminals.

The real criminals are the ones who commit acts against the law. Having money is not against the law. Destruction of what belongs to someone else is.

I'd wait for a quote showing that St John Chrysostom advocated vandalism, but it would be way too much waiting.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »

Does it really matter? Those professional athletes make more money in a year than all of the parents' of those students combined make in their entire lifetimes. What's $20,000 worth of damage? He can probably afford ten more mansions and yet he's worried about $20,000 worth of damage to one? Sounds like a jerk for someone rolling in money.

Do you ever hear yourself? It's irrelevant how much money he has, he has a reasonable right to his property not being destroyed, and these teenagers don't have the right to vandalize his house and get away with it because he's rich. You know what? Never mind. I want to roll my eyes right now, but the doctor says that if I keep doing it, my ocular muscles might spasm and eject my eyeballs.

The rich steal property from the poor every time they spend more on themselves then they need to according to St. John Chrysostom and no one cares about that. I can't really blame a few kids for getting back at the real criminals.

James, you really gotta stop assuming that people are bad just because they are rich. My grandparents are rich, but you will rarely meet people as kind and generous as them.

Vandalism is a crime, it has always been a crime. I have never seen a single patristic text that could be used to justify what these kids did.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2013, 07:04:11 PM »

Thread#548990 on why it is immoral to use private property on the homeless.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2013, 07:09:35 PM »

So who allowed them to have the party?
Can someone answer the above, thanks.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »

Last I checked when I was a teenager and went to parties we didn't give a damn whose property it was, cause it wasn't ours.

The only reason this story even gets "attention" is because it happened to a rich person.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »

So just because this guy's "rolling in money" makes what this pack of teens did to his house trivial? Maybe you don't believe in private property, but such is part of the very foundation of our system of law. What those teenagers did to Brian Holloway's house was criminal, and he is justified to press charges against them, regardless of how much or how little damage was done to his house.
Again who opened up the house for a party.

It's sorta important information to know before saying anything.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »

While I do not agree with the attack on his house, whether rich or poor.

I also would say that Jesus said the rich man who asked him about his salvation was also good to the extent you describe your grandparents, however he also told him only God was good, and also that the rich have the hardest time getting into his kingdom, the rich have already received their reward.The Gospels are full of warnings of this type, it is only man who later wants to say how good the rich are. Remember the old woman who put a penny in the donation plate and Jesus said she was the generous one , not the rich who give much more. It is the percentage which counts, therefore the more you have the harder it is to gain salvation.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »

James, you really gotta stop assuming that people are bad just because they are rich. My grandparents are rich, but you will rarely meet people as kind and generous as them.

Vandalism is a crime, it has always been a crime. I have never seen a single patristic text that could be used to justify what these kids did.

I also would say that Jesus said the rich man who asked him about his salvation was also good to the extent you describe your grandparents, however he also told him only God was good, and also that the rich have the hardest time getting into his kingdom, the rich have already received their reward.The Gospels are full of warnings of this type, it is only man who later wants to say how good the rich are. Remember the old woman who put a penny in the donation plate and Jesus said she was the generous one , not the rich who give much more. It is the percentage which counts, therefore the more you have the harder it is to gain salvation.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »

True, but that wasn't exactly my point. My point was that we shouldn't judge people because of how rich they are. We don't know this guy, nor what he is using his money on. 

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »

Last I checked when I was a teenager and went to parties we didn't give a damn whose property it was, cause it wasn't ours.

The only reason this story even gets "attention" is because it happened to a rich person.

Ah, that's the problem. I never went to a party on someone's property who I didn't know and didn't want me there, and my party vandalism percentage still remains at 0%. If we're supposed to hear this story and just shrug and laugh, throw our hands up and say, "Kids will be kids! Teenagers! Ha ha!" then you've lost me from the get-go.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2013, 08:09:15 PM »

I seriously doubt that any of these kids were partying out of righteous indignation for the man's "crimes" against poor people.

And as I pointed out, their peers organized a clean-up effort. Surely, they're more than just mere accessories to a rich man's greed?

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »

So just because this guy's "rolling in money" makes what this pack of teens did to his house trivial? Maybe you don't believe in private property, but such is part of the very foundation of our system of law. What those teenagers did to Brian Holloway's house was criminal, and he is justified to press charges against them, regardless of how much or how little damage was done to his house.
Again who opened up the house for a party.

It's sorta important information to know before saying anything.

Unless I missed something, the article seemed to indicate that they broke into the house.

-St Silouan the athonite
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »

So they were just  a group of crime fighters?  That's stupid.  If you really believe that, go fight some crime yourself, by breaking into houses that don't belong to yours.  I'm sure the police will be happy to hear your tales of battling the villainy of the wealthy. 

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »

Unless I missed something, the article seemed to indicate that they broke into the house.
I'd rather that fact be confirmed first.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2013, 08:35:07 PM »

I'd rather that fact be confirmed first.

They say he was at his full-time house in Florida at the time. Why is that so unbelievable?

-St Silouan the athonite
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »

Good to know that I don't have a soul.

I didn't intend to speak in absolutes--just a glaring, overwhelming majority.  I mean, I've never seen anything like this.  

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »

It is preposterous to say the attack is justified, no matter what the person has done, the Lord not only warned against revenge, but also said do good to those who hurt you. He said it does not benefit us to love only those who love us, that is only doing what we're supposed to do.You must rise above them by doing good in return , thus heaping coals on them.

The problem really is that many people complain about the poor being a burden, than say anything bad about their rich buddies, partly because they seek benefits from their rich friends, but also because society is programed to despise the poor in many ways. And most of the complaints are about the poor taking advantage, and rarely about the rich who take advantage.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2013, 09:44:10 PM »

Ah, that's the problem. I never went to a party on someone's property who I didn't know and didn't want me there, and my party vandalism percentage still remains at 0%. If we're supposed to hear this story and just shrug and laugh, throw our hands up and say, "Kids will be kids! Teenagers! Ha ha!" then you've lost me from the get-go.
OK I finally got on his website which because of the terrible layout I had difficulty finding the info on this part.

So we know they organized the party and broke in without him knowing. Like I said, I am surprised there wasn't more damage. He's lucky those were just high school kids and not some gay fraternity.

I'd love to see what the judge does to punish the kids involved with the charges.

But yeah I'd be pretty ticked off too.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2013, 09:46:21 PM »

Except for that nasty verse, "Revenge is Mine, saith the Lord." Even if Mr. Holloway is a criminal (according to St. John Chrysostom), that doesn't make right what those 300 kids did to trash his place.

BTW, would it change your way of thinking if those kids came from rich families?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:50:10 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2013, 09:49:13 PM »

Do you ever hear yourself?

No, he doesn't.  

You know what? Never mind. I want to roll my eyes right now, but the doctor says that if I keep doing it, my ocular muscles might spasm and eject my eyeballs.

For those playing at home who might not understand some of the terminology above:

Ocular muscles
Spasm

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2013, 09:52:49 PM »

What teenager has a Subaru STi with a straight pipe?

And I thought I was spoiled as a kid...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:56:06 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »

Do you ever hear yourself?

No, he doesn't.  

You know what? Never mind. I want to roll my eyes right now, but the doctor says that if I keep doing it, my ocular muscles might spasm and eject my eyeballs.

For those playing at home who might not understand some of the terminology above:

Ocular muscles
Spasm

Or for those playing at home who might not be 30 Rock fans:

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »

^ your stock is dropping ZZ.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »

Despicable.  Truly despicable.  I'm 50.  Back in the day, kids would tear up, but not like this, and not in such overwhelming numbers.  This generation is different.  It's as though they have no souls.  Seriously.  I look into their eyes, and nothing looks back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

♪...Back to the days of Christopher Robin...♪
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:14:01 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2013, 10:21:32 PM »

Despicable.  Truly despicable.  I'm 50.  Back in the day, kids would tear up, but not like this, and not in such overwhelming numbers.  This generation is different.  It's as though they have no souls.  Seriously.  I look into their eyes, and nothing looks back.

The young vandals of the OP don't have the excuse of having been unhinged due to the madness that war service can induce.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:21:57 PM by LBK » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2013, 10:21:48 PM »

Despicable.  Truly despicable.  I'm 50.  Back in the day, kids would tear up, but not like this, and not in such overwhelming numbers.  This generation is different.  It's as though they have no souls.  Seriously.  I look into their eyes, and nothing looks back.

LOL

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »

The young vandals of the OP don't have the excuse of having been unhinged due to the madness that war service can induce.
Which is more likely given my post's context, LBK:

1. That I was making the point that our generation is not a twilight zone break into soulless madness past previous ones,

2. Or that I was excusing the actions of the vandals?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:44:16 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »

Which is more likely given my post's context, LBK:

1. That I was making the point that our generation is not a twilight zone break into soulless madness past previous ones,

2. Or that I was excusing the actions of the vandals?

I would say the intent of your post was not excusing the vandals.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2013, 02:09:22 AM »

Aighty

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: