Author Topic: On Francis.....  (Read 78134 times)

Offline Paisius

• Ditry Pope-loving ecumenist
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Depends on the mood
Re: On Francis.....
« Reply #540 on: October 28, 2014, 05:24:49 PM »
1 Is the cat an inherited property of the office, or must each Pope adopt a new one?

2 More importantly, is the cat infallible, and is he allowed to have conferences with cats from other churches, or is that excessively ecumenical?

1- Inherited, but the Purrfects of the various Catgregations of the Roman Purrria must be re-catfirmed by the Pope.

Ok my wife chuckled at that one.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #541 on: November 24, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #542 on: September 23, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:21:38 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #543 on: September 23, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
wut?
God bless!

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #544 on: September 23, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!    PETER IS IN AMERICA!   

Wow. You learned how to work the copy/paste function.  Good for you. ;)
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #545 on: September 23, 2015, 08:05:58 PM »
So much for the purge of conservatives ::)

Conservative African named Prefect of Congregation for Divine Worship

http://t.news.va/en/news/card-sarah-named-prefect-for-congregation-for-divi?utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.patheos.com%2Fblogs%2Fdeaconsbench%2F2014%2F11%2Fcardinal-sarah-named-prefect-for-congregation-of-divine-worship%2F

Nothing in the article you linked to establishes any conservative credentials as far as the Divine Liturgy is concerned.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #546 on: September 23, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »

http://t.news.va/en/news/card-sarah-named-prefect-for-congregation-for-divi?utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.patheos.com%2Fblogs%2Fdeaconsbench%2F2014%2F11%2Fcardinal-sarah-named-prefect-for-congregation-of-divine-worship%2F

Nothing in the article you linked to establishes any conservative credentials as far as the Divine Liturgy is concerned.
And that has what to do with my post or the claims further up the thread?  The claim was made that conservatives were being purged.  I responded with proof that was not true.  Now being a conservative does not mean one is a "traditionalist" or  Tridentinist but the African Cardinals are not known to be liturgically lax.  But all that is beside my point which still stands.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #547 on: September 23, 2015, 09:42:17 PM »

And that has what to do with my post or the claims further up the thread?  The claim was made that conservatives were being purged.  I responded with proof that was not true.  Now being a conservative does not mean one is a "traditionalist" or  Tridentinist but the African Cardinals are not known to be liturgically lax.  But all that is beside my point which still stands.

I was writing only with regard to what you posted.  Still, nothing in the article says this guy is a conservative  in doctrine or liturgy.  So, I only have your word. How is he conservative exactly?

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #548 on: September 23, 2015, 10:31:34 PM »
Personally, I will be glad he is gone so that we in our city can get back to normal. 

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #549 on: September 24, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »
Personally, I will be glad he is gone so that we in our city can get back to normal.

You got Pope rage?
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #550 on: September 24, 2015, 10:42:40 AM »

I was writing only with regard to what you posted.  Still, nothing in the article says this guy is a conservative  in doctrine or liturgy.  So, I only have your word. How is he conservative exactly?

Interview w/ Cardinal Sarah and his views on liturgy: http://aleteia.org/2015/03/09/interview-cardinal-sarah-on-liturgical-wars-criticism-of-the-pope-and-islam/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:43:06 AM by Schultz »
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #551 on: September 24, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »
I know this is an unpopular opinion around here, but I really like Pope Francis. I hope he illustrates a new pattern of papal direction for Roman Catholicism. Now if they just straightened out the liturgical messes going on...
God bless!

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
« Reply #552 on: September 24, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »

You got Pope rage?

Not really, but his locking down our city is a mess.  Pres Obama didnt require half this security when he visited here.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #553 on: September 24, 2015, 10:52:27 AM »
I know this is an unpopular opinion around here, but I really like Pope Francis. I hope he illustrates a new pattern of papal direction for Roman Catholicism. Now if they just straightened out the liturgical messes going on...

There have always been liturgical messes of some sort.  When your organization is *that* large, there's bound to be some funny business somewhere.  Now we're just way more tuned in to it because of instant mass communication.  I would love nothing more than to see a DO THE BLACK, SAY THE RED mentality be universal, but I'm not going to hang my hat on it, so to speak.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Josiah

• Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: LCMS
« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »
Having just watched the Pope's hour address to the US Congress, I was very disappointed.

This is a country with among the most radical abortion laws in the world, where some 1.2 MILLION abortions are done to innocent babies (roughly 140 during his speech!) - and NOTHING.  Absolutely NOTHING.  MANY of those congressmen are TRYING to reverse this horrific sin in our land and they got NOTHING from him.  NOTHING.  He threw them under the bus.

And this is a country were Euthanasia is being sneaked into place (in California currently), all quietly.....  a HUGE issue.  And the Pope said NOTHING.  Absolutely NOTHING.   

And this is a country were "same-sex" marriage is a real hot button issue - and NOTHING.  Absolutely NOTHING whatsoever. 

I'm no longer Catholic, but one of the things I (too) tend to admire about the Catholic Church is (traditionally) it's BOLD, GUTSY, CLEAR stand for biblical morality - its willingness to be very politically INCORRECT,  to face the moral issues of the day head on.   I remember Mother Teresa giving quite a lecture to (I think) President Clinton.   This man whimped out.   

I was very disappointed.

- Josiah
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:09:04 AM by Josiah »

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
« Reply #555 on: September 24, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
Having just watched the Pope's hour address to the US Congress, I was very disappointed.

This is a country with among the most radical abortion laws in the world, where some 1.2 MILLION abortions are done to innocent babies (roughly 140 during his speech!) - and NOTHING.  Absolutely NOTHING.  MANY of those congressmen are TRYING to reverse this horrific sin in our land and they got NOTHING from him.  NOTHING.  He threw them under the bus.

And this is a country were Euthanasia is being sneaked into place (in California currently), all quietly.....  a HUGE issue.  And the Pope said NOTHING.  Absolutely NOTHING.   

And this is a country were "same-sex" marriage is a real hot button issue - and NOTHING.  Absolutely NOTHING whatsoever. 

I'm no longer Catholic, but one of the things I (too) tend to admire about the Catholic Church is (traditionally) it's BOLD, GUTSY, CLEAR stand for biblical morality - its willingness to be very politically INCORRECT,  to face the moral issues of the day head on.   I remember Mother Teresa giving quite a lecture to (I think) President Clinton.   This man whimped out.   

I was very disappointed.

- Josiah

He is sounding more like the President of the Vatican as opposed to the Pope...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #556 on: September 24, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »

There have always been liturgical messes of some sort.  When your organization is *that* large, there's bound to be some funny business somewhere.  Now we're just way more tuned in to it because of instant mass communication.  I would love nothing more than to see a DO THE BLACK, SAY THE RED mentality be universal, but I'm not going to hang my hat on it, so to speak.
I think it is supposed to be "Say the black, do the red". Otherwise if would make for a rather odd sounding liturgy.  :laugh:

To your point though, I agree that making it universal would be a tough task, but there are degrees to which it happens. 60 years ago,  there were FAR less liturgical abuses than what take place now, and it isn't going it a good direction. Granted, issues such as sexual abuse have taken the forefront, but running a church where everyone decides to do their own thing is going to encourage schism.
God bless!

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #557 on: September 24, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
This is a country with among the most radical abortion laws in the world, where some 1.2 MILLION abortions are done to innocent babies (roughly 140 during his speech!) - and NOTHING.  Absolutely NOTHING.  MANY of those congressmen are TRYING to reverse this horrific sin in our land and they got NOTHING from him.  NOTHING.  He threw them under the bus
Not surprising.

I'm no longer Catholic, but one of the things I (too) tend to admire about the Catholic Church is (traditionally) it's BOLD, GUTSY, CLEAR stand for biblical morality - its willingness to be very politically INCORRECT,  to face the moral issues of the day head on.   I remember Mother Teresa giving quite a lecture to (I think) President Clinton.   This man whimped out
He is a politician.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
« Reply #558 on: September 24, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »

I was very disappointed.

- Josiah

How do you define radical? Abortion is here to stay. Euthanasia is between a patient, their doctor, and any gods they may believe in. Same sex marriage is here to stay.

Lets worry about what can be changed. Like all the homeless and starving children and vets in this country. Or the refugees fleeing for their lives. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #559 on: September 24, 2015, 11:19:55 AM »

I was very disappointed.

- Josiah
He didn't focus on it, but he did speak of the need to defend life at every stage of its development. I would say that was a pretty clear reference to abortion. He will be here for more than just this speech, so I don't think it is realistic to expect him to have everything in one speech.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #560 on: September 24, 2015, 11:41:14 AM »

I think it is supposed to be "Say the black, do the red". Otherwise if would make for a rather odd sounding liturgy.  :laugh:

I laughed heartily, and will continue to do so all day as I think of random prayers and the rubrics associated with them.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #561 on: September 24, 2015, 11:49:59 AM »

To your point though, I agree that making it universal would be a tough task, but there are degrees to which it happens. 60 years ago,  there were FAR less liturgical abuses than what take place now, and it isn't going it a good direction. Granted, issues such as sexual abuse have taken the forefront, but running a church where everyone decides to do their own thing is going to encourage schism.

OOPS!  You're right re: the black and the red.

The abuses pre V2 were different than what they were post but there were plenty of them.  Abuse is abuse.  And the isntances of liturgical abuse of the Mass of Paul VI are lessening as the Boomers who introduced them die off. 

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #562 on: September 24, 2015, 11:51:29 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Russia

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #563 on: September 24, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »
Wrong audience, schultz.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #564 on: September 24, 2015, 12:04:22 PM »

I was very disappointed.

- Josiah

The pope has criticized Abortion a ton. That's all I'll say though there is a lot more in this post.
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #565 on: September 24, 2015, 12:06:23 PM »
Wrong audience, schultz.

I am a lone voice crying out in the wilderness. ;)

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #566 on: September 24, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »
I just finished reading the entire transcript of The Pope's message. He absolutely addressed abortion. Were you watching the wrong address?

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Josiah

« Reply #567 on: September 24, 2015, 12:09:03 PM »

Okay, so Russia and the USA are tied at about 1.2 MILLION abortions per year....

I was just very disappointed that the Pope didn't even MENTION abortion (or Euthanasia) both big, "hot-button" issues in the USA.  Not even mentioned.   There were MANY strongly pro-life members in that Congress, trying to end this horrific sin in our land - and I think they got thrown under the bus. 

I'm no longer Catholic, but like a lot of non-Catholics, I admire how the Catholic Church has been a loud, strong, clear moral voice.   Willing to be very politically INCORRECT.   Wasn't it Mother Teresa who LECTURED President Clinton on this issue?  (Perhaps I'm remember wrongly there).   I just felt that the Pope wimped out, leaving a  lot of congressmen thrown under the bus, chose to evade one of the biggest moral issues of our day.   I think too of my State (California) which very quietly, almost secretly has passed a very liberal euthanasia bill (which the press has chosen to largely hide).... it's sitting on the desk of Governor Brown (a Catholic) and we have no idea what he'll do with it.   To this whole issue, nothing (but a very, very vague single sentence hidden deep in the speech about "life at all stages"). 

I was simply disappointed.   I'm not sure if the Catholic Church has lost its voice, if this Pope simply has, or if he just choose to not ruffle feathers.   Regardless, I find it disappointing.

Just MY half cent.... ain't saying I'm right.

- Josiah

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #568 on: September 24, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »
I don't think there are any congressmen who really oppose abortion.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #569 on: September 24, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »
Wrong audience, schultz.

I am a lone voice crying out in the wilderness. ;)
no, I mean he's a lutheran.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #570 on: September 24, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »
I was just very disappointed that the Pope didn't even MENTION abortion (or Euthanasia) both big, "hot-button" issues in the USA.  Not even mentioned
As I said. He absolutely did.

PP
Gregory the Great

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #571 on: September 24, 2015, 12:14:37 PM »

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #572 on: September 24, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »

Okay, so Russia and the USA are tied at about 1.2 MILLION abortions per year....

Russia has less than half the population of the USA, too.

Offline Josiah

« Reply #573 on: September 24, 2015, 12:15:30 PM »
I just finished reading the entire transcript of The Pope's message. He absolutely addressed abortion. Were you watching the wrong address?

PP

I've read the entire transcript of the Pope's message.  He never so much as even MENTIONED abortion (or Euthansia).  The only 'life' issue he addressed with any clarity at all  - and that totally in passing - was capitol punishment (which RARELY happens in this country.... during his speech, perhaps 140 babies were murdered in abortion). 

I'm just disappointed.   If I were one of those pro-life congressmen, I'd feel he just threw me under the bus.   One of them sat right behind the Pope..... the camera often showed Sen. Rubio....

Well.... I expressed by disappointment.  Perhaps I stand alone in that, and that's okay.

Pax

- Josiah
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:17:14 PM by Josiah »

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #574 on: September 24, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »

PP

Please quote the Papal passage addressing abortion.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #575 on: September 24, 2015, 12:31:04 PM »

PP

Yeah, I don't see him addressing abortion, either.  Feel free to quote from https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/transcript-pope-franciss-speech-to-congress/2015/09/24/6d7d7ac8-62bf-11e5-8e9e-dce8a2a2a679_story.html

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #576 on: September 24, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »

PP

I've read the entire transcript of the Pope's message.  He never so much as even MENTIONED abortion (or Euthansia).  The only 'life' issue he addressed with any clarity at all  - and that totally in passing - was capitol punishment (which RARELY happens in this country.... during his speech, perhaps 140 babies were murdered in abortion). 

I'm just disappointed.   If I were one of those pro-life congressmen, I'd feel he just threw me under the bus.   One of them sat right behind the Pope..... the camera often showed Sen. Rubio....

Well.... I expressed by disappointment.  Perhaps I stand alone in that, and that's okay.

Pax

- Josiah

Oh please there are other issues in life besides abortion.  What's with the one issue politics.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #577 on: September 24, 2015, 12:35:41 PM »
This Rule points us in a clear direction. Let us treat others with the same passion and compassion with which we want to be treated. Let us seek for others the same possibilities which we seek for ourselves. Let us help others to grow, as we would like to be helped ourselves. In a word, if we want security, let us give security; if we want life, let us give life; if we want opportunities, let us provide opportunities. The yardstick we use for others will be the yardstick which time will use for us. The Golden Rule also reminds us of our responsibility to protect and defend human life at every stage of its development.
God bless!

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #578 on: September 24, 2015, 12:54:32 PM »
The abuses pre V2 were different than what they were post but there were plenty of them.  Abuse is abuse.  And the isntances of liturgical abuse of the Mass of Paul VI are lessening as the Boomers who introduced them die off.

If you go back before the Council of Trent, some of them are pretty shocking. Most of the stuff since Vatican II is just stupid - mostly even well-intentioned. But the Middle Ages are filled with stories of clergy eating sausage at the altar while another priest said Mass, illiterate priests mumbling or even shrieking nonsense instead of Latin, and things like the Festum Asinorum "Feast of the Donkeys," when the priest, after a donkey had been brought to the altar, instead of saying Ite, missa est would bray 3 times (ter hinhinnabit), and the people would respond in kind instead of the Deo gratias.

I don't know about liturgical abuse dying off, though - I think that's wishful thinking on the part of some conservative Catholics. A lot of abuses have become normalized - watch video of the distribution of Communion when Pope Francis was in the Philippines for an example. I do think the most egregious things, like those hideous giant papier-mâché puppets, may be dying off, but things like off-the-cuff improvisations of dubious theological merit are as rampant as ever. And if bad music can be considered an abuse, well...
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #579 on: September 24, 2015, 03:37:27 PM »

PP

Yeah, I don't see him addressing abortion, either.  Feel free to quote from https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/transcript-pope-franciss-speech-to-congress/2015/09/24/6d7d7ac8-62bf-11e5-8e9e-dce8a2a2a679_story.html
Tris did for me.

PP
Gregory the Great

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #580 on: September 24, 2015, 04:11:54 PM »
I've read the entire transcript of the Pope's message.  He never so much as even MENTIONED abortion (or Euthansia). 
Presumably your Republican congressmen interpreted "every stage of its development" as an abortion reference, hence their cheering. So there you go.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:12:02 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #581 on: September 24, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »

PP

Pax

- Josiah

Oh please there are other issues in life besides abortion.  What's with the one issue politics.

Such is the moral clarity I'd expect from you.  There are other things, but, hey, let's ignore the genocide just this once.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #582 on: September 24, 2015, 05:16:19 PM »
There are other things, but, hey, let's ignore the genocide just this once.
If so, you don't seem too broken up about a genocide going on right next door.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:16:48 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #583 on: September 24, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »
Delete...(someone else already addressed what I intended to say)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:53:35 PM by Rohzek »
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #584 on: September 24, 2015, 08:58:26 PM »
There are other things, but, hey, let's ignore the genocide just this once.
If so, you don't seem too broken up about a genocide going on right next door.

You don't know jack about me, Nick.